Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3695 3696 [3697] 3698 3699 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857711 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55440 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:31 am »

Militia squad I stupidly sent out was my MCOM and has failed to return (but are all listed as very much alive,) so I'm probably going to have to retire Fireblade and hope nothing stupid happens for the month it takes to get it back in motion so they'll hopefully come back, since I have a bunch of artifacts stored in the temple there. Alternative is to simply hope the idiots just wandered off after doing thier job or got scattered or something.

Up side, fresh batch of unrelated recruits came in and previous preparations meant nobody had to sleep in the tavern that didn't want to sleep there except two single people.

In the meantime, decided to give The Long Night a try and it... Feels kinda of strange. It almost scratches an itch I have, but it feels weird and not in a good way. First embark I pulled the plug on because of the lack of water - which killed someone, but not via dehydration. Killed them by way of one miner channeling the floor out from the other while they were digging for a cavern lake. Second one is looking promising, even if the environment is hotter than I'd like, with a freshwater lake.

Was originally going to go for a mountain with a lake, but I wanted to have subhumans in range. Whenever I inevitably get murdered to death maybe I'll spring for that other embark instead.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55441 on: September 09, 2020, 12:41:09 am »

...I think I broke something.
How fast are were they going?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55442 on: September 09, 2020, 05:33:23 am »

So far so good, a subhuman caravan stopped by to trade which surprised the hell out of me. Couldn't get one of those super fancy kill bots they had, but I got a second-best version, and migrants have brought my militia's number up to a whopping 7 barely-equipped idiots (4 melee, 3 ranged.) The Ganesha-class lifeforms (some kind of weird frilled-lizard thing,) have been a slight issue, but nobody's had worse than one wandering into the mine and getting spooked by a stone hauler, leading to a fight that consisted of it getting thumped in the face with an axe and it responding by breaking her knee and running away.

Our pet VTOL - which gave me a mental image of my embark crew being airdropped to their destination in a shipping container - also has a serious hate boner for the things which is quite a feat considering it's a dumb AI transport machine with zero weaponry.

Ultimately needed to disable weather, not because I wanted to but because the rain has literally not stopped in nearly a year on the north side of the river, which takes up 75% of the damned map and an aquifer that I don't feel like dealing with means my usual slow burn that I've fallen into, going a building at a time.

So endless rain has left at least one person going red-arrow on me so I gotta do it. If it was just one or the other it'd probably be a non-issue, but it's a problem when one of the new people is already stressed and the rain and arguments with someone are the only bad thoughts they have.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55443 on: September 10, 2020, 11:33:27 am »

The last video of CraftRiddle has been recorded.  I finished making the waterlocks for the water intake tunnel for the well (to keep out monsters from using the fresh water well to enter the settlement) and made one traction bench.  I was able to do this because Traders brought me more stone.  Yeah!  I can move onto the next version and play that.  I plan to make a adventure series for YT but have to get use to the controls again.

While I would only watch my DF series to see how NOT to play it I do feel somewhat happy I finished it.  It was a challenge and there was much crying but it is nice when you cross the finish line.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55444 on: September 10, 2020, 01:54:13 pm »

So far so good with things. Without invaders around, it's much easier to manage this slow-burn style of play though it's been far from quiet. Most of the violence now comes from the VTOL and Land Rovers deciding they hate nanite oozes and pancaking/running the poor things over for the crime of simply existing in their vicinity. Managed to buy a "Xolon-Corudoal" bioframe thing (fuckers are pricey at over 9k a piece,) and it managed to save some people by jamming its built-in lance through its cannon and scratching its sensor array right off its front, though one person did get shot in the leg by the flying trashcan.

Which I chose to interpret as it grabbing the poor drone by its face and slamming it into the ground so far its face came off.

Visitors have been sparse, all just a few looking for a few books or fancy possessions. No bards or mercenaries, which is nice.

Housing is finally getting to where people don't live in the bar anymore, and it's really telling that apartment buildings made of what amounts to old sheet steel and riveted plates is considered good housing, but who am I t'judge. The militia though are going to be sleeping in the barracks if they don't have a spouse, in case I need to send them out to do something. Decided to outfit them with K2 and Valiant-14 exo-armors (basically space knight and standard space soldier armors going from the descriptions,) though to make the leaders feel like special snowflakes they get their own snowflake gear in the form of a suit of Starner-V (some kinda rounded, tanky armor) for the commander and Valiant-16 (basically the Valiant-14 with slightly better software but otherwise identical,) for the rifle sergeant.

Must admit, reading about the different kinds of armor is sorta fun for this mod.

I also bought a bunch of factory worms. Some a straight forward, but I'm mildly concerned about what a protein farm craps out. it also ripped the leg off a light patrol drone while someone's "pet," a "Barda-Gimrul" bioframe (basically a friggen mecha,) shot the crap out of it with one of my riflemen. To my surprise, the rifelman put distance between himself and the target, instead of running up to shoot it at point blank range.

Also got a hospital built, which I've been neglecting fooooooooor ever, basically. So that's a good thing.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55445 on: September 11, 2020, 03:44:39 pm »

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55446 on: September 11, 2020, 04:39:30 pm »

That's a dwarven fortress all right!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55447 on: September 12, 2020, 08:37:52 pm »

I'm preparing a fort for retirement, making a convenient pile of the items that my adventurers will carry to the next fort. The pile includes 248 wafers and over 3000 bars of divine metal.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55448 on: September 12, 2020, 11:08:57 pm »

This is the best kind of post! No need to explain, just let the ASCII do the talking.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55449 on: September 13, 2020, 03:16:32 am »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55450 on: September 13, 2020, 03:27:35 pm »

I cracked into the HFS on an old fortress i had that's gotten pretty slow FPS wise. i'm also learning how to play DF without DFhack since while the game is updated the lazynewbpack i use on my laptop isn't.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #55451 on: September 15, 2020, 01:26:58 am »

I cracked into the HFS on an old fortress i had that's gotten pretty slow FPS wise. i'm also learning how to play DF without DFhack since while the game is updated the lazynewbpack i use on my laptop isn't.
I am pretty sure that the latest DF (29/02/2020) and the latest Dfhack are compatible ( https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases   )
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55452 on: September 15, 2020, 02:18:41 am »

I am pretty sure that the latest DF (29/02/2020) and the latest Dfhack are compatible ( https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases   )
oh yeah that's not so much the issue as the fact that my internet is *terrible* and i haven't gotten around to downloading it.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55453 on: September 15, 2020, 03:14:15 am »

While I'm generating world after world to another "perfect embark", I might as well tell you about a problem I had in my last fort:

This human maceman got caught sneaking around and shouted "You won't come between me and <insert artifact name here>!".
I had no military, so I just used gui/teleport to teleport him into the caverns (which were sealed up).  He appeared again about a year later with the same message.  So I teleported him into the caverns again.  He just kept reappearing (sometimes after just one season).

The  other thing I should note is that I had already given that exact same artifact to someone who requested it (I haven't figured out making weapons and armor -much less a military- yet) before the first time he got caught sneaking around!

::)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55454 on: September 15, 2020, 07:47:55 am »

It took 2 years of digging, but the miners finally finished digging out a roughly 80 Z level tall magma piston. The whole fortress [and the game] stopped in stunned silence when the lever was pulled, and a 21x21x4.5 pool of magma shot up to a more usable height. After the dust and magma mist settled, dirty jokes about the giant stone shaft could be heard right up until the goblins decided to siege a short time later (To be clear: the dirty jokes didn't stop, you just couldn't hear them anymore over the sounds made by 100-ish goblins running head first into the meat grinder that is our 2 squads of iron-clad swordmasters and their accompanying squad of proficient macedwarves)

While body cleanup is going on, the magma smelters and forges have been finished and we can finally get past the fuel bottleneck keeping our metalsmiths frustrated for these last 5 years.

Oh, also we've somehow become the mountainhome. Not sure why, exactly, in spring of 258 we were just a county. By winter the queen arrived. We never even had a dutchess!
Her arrival did reveal something interesting though..  This fortress has been plagued by vampires one was chained beneath the giant stone piston when we pulled the lever, as punishment for eating a child. Another was sentenced to swim. In the magma sea for a similar infraction, and a 3rd was simply exiled (he hadn't done anything wrong, so, we just let him go unharmed.)
As it turns out, though, even our outpost liasion was one of the undead!
We decided to lock him alone in his room to make sure, and, sure enough he went 3 straight seasons with no food or water whatsoever! He seems to have had an accident while he was trapped in there though, as, his body was found lifeless in his bed when the door was finally opened... We still have no idea how he died, but, no matter, at least he won't eat anyone.
Pages: 1 ... 3695 3696 [3697] 3698 3699 ... 3836