Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3697 3698 [3699] 3700 3701 ... 3706

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3887621 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55470 on: September 21, 2020, 06:41:35 pm »

Workshocks was hit by another large siege, we were still not back to normal levels of stress after the previous one, and the resulting cleanup left about half the fortress of 200 dwarves with red arrows, and over the next 2 months tantrums were basically constant. At some point, a tavern keeper punched a legendary sword dwarf, and the squad of 10 legendary sword dwarfs, with their new *steel* armour and their mostly named *iron* and *steel short sword*s proceeded to murder about 35 civilian dwarves, in what I assume was  loyalty cascade, since none of them were tantruming at the time (none even stressed.... they've all seen some s**t and become a bit hardened.)

While they were busy doing that, a weremammoth (2nd one to come by -- might even be the bite victim I expelled  years ago) showed up, bit about 6 dwarves, including the mayor and our best armourer, before one of the non-legendary sword dwarves finally showed up and killed it without even a scratch.

All the extra death, and looming threat of weremammoths has not helped the dwarves recover from the pile of 80 goblins and trolls they were just dealing with, and the chief medical dwarf has found himself queued for a meeting with the hammerer after murdering a random peasant.

... The worst part of this, for me, is that the siege was trivial -- not a single dwarf died in the siege, despite it being open combat on flat terrain. 20 vs 80 goblins, trolls, and not counting their beakdogs Only one dwarf even got injured. Just the stress of cleaning up the bodies lead to all this.

Yeah soldiers on duty don't like it when you swing on them. They respond violently to rioting and the like, not even causing a loyalty cascade in doing so. Been like that for a while now.

If I were to hazard a guess, a fight broke out as a result of the swordsman defending himself, and a bunch of people who were friends with the tavernkeeper jumped in on his side (presumably partially motivated by unmet needs to help someone, cause trouble, fight, and so forth.) The result is a bunch of idiots try to help thier friend, only to get slaughtered when the militia responds to the angry mob accordingly.

I'm 100% certain this isn't a loyalty cascade, but rather some bug that got introduced to soldier AI that causes them to attack anyone attacking a friendly unprovoked, and interestingly seems to indicate there's a "self-defense in the third person" clause in dwarven justice, cause I've had soldiers kill people beating on someone else and never get reported to the authorities. Doesn't matter if it's a gang of children beating a craftsman or an angry cook swinging on them in a tantrum, they respond the same way if on duty and more often than not kill the attacker in one or two swings.

off-duty is a different story, with them preferring to just dodge the attacks.

Goalrun, the Long Night mod fort is going alright. Had its first run in with a megabeast, an "Autonomous Dragon Gunship" which got swamped under a little over half a dozen men in space knight armor.

The town is largely complete, being fortified, templed, guilded, and well supplied with food, and kept watered by a number of wells that cater to the bar and both residential areas. No invaders otherwise even after kicking them back on, leading me to assume one of two things: Either most of the bad people are too far away or dead, or this mod needs more bad people.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55471 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:41 pm »

Yeah soldiers on duty don't like it when you swing on them. They respond violently to rioting and the like, not even causing a loyalty cascade in doing so. Been like that for a while now.

If I were to hazard a guess, a fight broke out as a result of the swordsman defending himself, and a bunch of people who were friends with the tavernkeeper jumped in on his side (presumably partially motivated by unmet needs to help someone, cause trouble, fight, and so forth.) The result is a bunch of idiots try to help thier friend, only to get slaughtered when the militia responds to the angry mob accordingly.

I'm 100% certain this isn't a loyalty cascade, but rather some bug that got introduced to soldier AI that causes them to attack anyone attacking a friendly unprovoked, and interestingly seems to indicate there's a "self-defense in the third person" clause in dwarven justice, cause I've had soldiers kill people beating on someone else and never get reported to the authorities. Doesn't matter if it's a gang of children beating a craftsman or an angry cook swinging on them in a tantrum, they respond the same way if on duty and more often than not kill the attacker in one or two swings.

off-duty is a different story, with them preferring to just dodge the attacks.

Yeah, the tavern keeper was harassing a nearby engraver when I re-enabled my military -- I had the whole fort burrowed for a month in a burrow that had temples, dining halls, libraries, etc, but little to no actual work, so they'd socialize, think, pray, and generally just get some happy thoughts -- and almost as soon as I did he punched the sword dwarf, to no effect (fist vs *steel gauntlets*), and it set off a chain of violence. The engraver, amusingly, spent the whole time the sword dwarves were slaughtering people dodging the tavern keeper's dog.

Anyway, after stabilizing a bit from that mess, I decided to retire Workshocks. Ever since completing the magma piston, I've been a bit directionless here, but I don't want to 'Dig too deep' right now, I'm working on setting up some stuff for the world/civ before I do now that workshocks is the capital and we have our queen, so, it seems like a good enough time to leave it be. They'll be fine, they have 10 legendary sword masters keeping an eye on them, not to mention a team of macemasters (none legendary, but, close) and about 30 other competent professional soldiers -- including out skilled hammer dwarf queen - with good quality iron and/or steel equipment all around, and more gold, and silver than I could figure out what to do with. Seriously, the last dwarven caravan left with like 8 bins worth of (often gem-encrusted) gold trinkets and silver toys, just to get it off the map.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55472 on: September 26, 2020, 12:50:17 am »

I can confirm my clean-self/friend summoning interactions work properly.

In other news, twelve dwarves are dead as a result of a demon outbreak. Totally unrelated. Yup.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55473 on: September 27, 2020, 06:40:57 am »

We embarked to Vesselrays about 6 years ago, and we finally have a reliable source of clean water near the fort proper. The murky pools on the surface were enough to survive this far, but it's nice to have clean water again. Just needed to pump it 110 floors up from the 2nd cavern layer, since we got a muddy first cavern with no water to be found. I hear those are rare, but this is my 3rd one in about 12 forts, across 6 different worlds.

This fort hit the mineral jackpot. Iron, Silver, Lignite and Coal visible from the surface, before we even started digging. Once we got a few levels down, we found more gold than we could figure out what to do with, Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite, and a little bit of platinum. Not to mention the Marble Layer. We set up a metal industry before the first caravan even arrived, and by year 2 we were trading gem-encrusted electrum and gold baubles for anything useful a given caravan had on it, while we started to kit out the military in full suits of steel.

All that was secondary to the main conceit of this fortress though -- The dwarves of Vesselrays, settles in the wooden swamp to establish the first vegan mountainhome to be seen in The Continents of Fortune!
Dumping the migrants non-vegan clothes has been rather obnoxious, but I have to say the challenge has been quite a bit easier than I was thinking it would be*. We've lost 6 dwarves to failed strange moods, Thek knew what they were signing up for when they came here, they can't expect us to butcher some poor animal just because they got inspired and want their pyrite hatch cover or whatever to menace with spikes of bone.
About a year into the pump stack project, A performer in our tavern, through conversations with some rivals, was made queen! I'm not sure who her opposition was, but, thankfully we had enough electrum, gold, brass, and platinum furniture to set her up with royal rooms without much issue... She keeps asking for satues and figures, which, is fine by us -- the smiths and metalcrafters would be making those anyway.

About a year after she was made queen, we were promoted to a barony. This was around the same time as the pump stack being finished, and us finally having clean water that isn't half a day's travel into the depths.

Other things of note: We got attacked by a giant who was carrying TWO artifact battle axes. Luckily, it couldn't make good use of them and died to 6 axedwarves surrounding him, tearing fat and chopping bits off until almost everyone involved was passed out exhausted, at which point someone finally landed a lethal wound and the giant bled out.
We got one goblin "siege" so far... if you could even call it that. it was one group of about 10 goblins. We closed the drawbridge and made sure the military was assembled and had their newly-finished steel armour on for it jsut in case, but, the goblins only managed to wound some poor wild alligator. Not a single injury among the dwarves. That poor alligator didn't make it, but neither did the goblins.
In the first cavern layer -- the layer of mud and rock, that we sealed off because there was nothing of value to make it worth the potential dangers of keeping it open -- a gigantic 3-eyed fire-breathing chicken with a square shell and green feathers has been roaming around, immolating anything that crosses it's path[[Including my framerate, so much fire]]. We could probably kill it, but, it hardly seems worth the danger of opening the cavern, and exposing ourselves to not only this chicken best but the giant cave spiders and the like lurking in the dark corners... or at least, there WERE giant cave spiders, they may just be half-melted pools of chitin and silk by now. Poor things.

* I've done vegan and vegetarian forts before, I remember it being more difficult, but, the only things I haven't been able to make really have been backpacks and quivers. Backpacks are mildly annoying to do without, but brass flasks keep the soldiers hydrated at least, so military still don't break station all that often honestly. And who needs quivers and crossbows when you have 30 well-trained dwarves in full suits of *steel* armour, shields, and weapons, and a roof over your head to keep flying beasties in axe range?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55474 on: September 27, 2020, 07:27:42 am »

Dumping the migrants non-vegan clothes has been rather obnoxious, but I have to say the challenge has been quite a bit easier than I was thinking it would be*. We've lost 6 dwarves to failed strange moods, Thek knew what they were signing up for when they came here, they can't expect us to butcher some poor animal just because they got inspired and want their pyrite hatch cover or whatever to menace with spikes of bone.

Would you be opposed to butchering an animal corpse that has died by its own means?  I've recently butchered a very old dog skeleton into a skull and a stack of bones. 

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55475 on: September 27, 2020, 07:43:42 am »

Would you be opposed to butchering an animal corpse that has died by its own means?  I've recently butchered a very old dog skeleton into a skull and a stack of bones.

I've been atom-smasing any corpse, body, or bit that can't be buried in a proper coffin for the critters that manage to die all on their own or due to invaders/wildlife. I haven't even built a butcher's workshop on this map, and the labour is disabled on all dwarves. This fort is completely avoiding making *anything* out of animal parts. I won't even import seeds stored in yarn or silk bags, which made getting rock nuts for soap a bit of an ordeal...

((Edit: Typos))
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:45:24 am by PetGreySquirrel »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55476 on: September 27, 2020, 08:01:56 am »

Sounds like a fun challenge. 

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55477 on: September 27, 2020, 08:27:03 am »

Sounds like a fun challenge.

It's honestly not too challenging, but from an aesthetic/roleplay perspective I really like it (maybe just because I'm vegetarian, your millage may vary.)
The main sticking points are: no backpacks for long patrols, no quivers for bolts (so no marksdwarves, unless you want to make cotton candy quivers, get plant cloth ones by chance from a visitor or migrant, or manage to get a strange mood to turn into one) and no armour until you get a smelter and a forge running or import some metal armour.
The biggest problem really is strange moods and mandates.. Bone and leather are common mood demands, so moods go from being generally easy to handle in normal play to being one of the main ways your important dwarves end up dead. Mandates for backpacks, quivers, etc are... Also a concern, because if not dealt woth some other way you'll end up with a lot of prisoners or tantrum-throwing nobles screaming in the tavern. I honestly got super lucky that our surprise queen is has only been mandating figures, statues, and anvils.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55478 on: September 27, 2020, 08:36:11 am »

I'm veg as well, and tend to go hard the other way in my games. I event went so far as to not grow any edible plants (sweet pod wine only) and survive entirely off meat/eggs. This was a pretty irksome challenge as miasma was a constant annoyance and micromanaging pigs and chickens became the primary gameplay. I really would like to try a vegan fortress though... Might post here about it some day.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55479 on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:26 am »

I've done 'no growers/planters' forts, which is way more annoying as far as challenges go than vegan forts In my experience. At least vegan fort has plenty of booze (with a wide variety) and you don't need a team of dedicated refuse haulers to keep the butcher shop from being in a constant miasma cloud.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55480 on: September 27, 2020, 08:58:55 am »

Along those same lines, I've had it on my mind to make an above ground fishing village fort, either on the coast, or adjacent a large river.  Imposing restrictions like that sometimes gets me to focus more on other aspects of the game and pushes me out of my comfort zone. 

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55481 on: September 27, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »

I'm veg as well, and tend to go hard the other way in my games. I event went so far as to not grow any edible plants (sweet pod wine only) and survive entirely off meat/eggs. This was a pretty irksome challenge as miasma was a constant annoyance and micromanaging pigs and chickens became the primary gameplay. I really would like to try a vegan fortress though... Might post here about it some day.

Cave wheat/sweet pods/plump helmets give you the main three kinds of booze.  If you gather and plant the available outdoor seeds you also have sufficient variety for dwarves to deal with it (I usually dig out an "above ground" farm and then put a roof over it).  Where it gets really ugly is in glacier biomes though.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55482 on: September 28, 2020, 03:38:22 am »

Well... The queen of Vesselrays got into a fey mood. Seeing how the fortress is vegan, her damands for bones and leather will.... not be getting filled. I wonder who's next in line for her Electrum Throne? Hopefully she doesn't go berserk, she's a bit rusty since becomig queen, but she was an accomplished wrestler and had a with a mean throwing arm.
Meanwhile, the shelled fire chicken in the caverns' impact on my FPS has become too much of a hindrance to leave it be, so, I unsealed that layer so send in the Champion and his squad of steel-clad axelords to put an end to the endless fires. between those and the water from the stack pump my FPS has been hitting single digits every time the chicken enters a patch of cavern that can still catch. The fight was pretty underwhelming, 2 axedwarves hacked buts of it off while dodging every attack it made, then the 2nd in command walked over and rather casually chopped it's head off with one swing of his superior steel battle axe. It got one chance to breathe fire, but everyone dodged and the battlefield was chosen because it had already been burned down recently, so we didn't need to worry about the floors.

Edit: Quick update; without the fire chicken FPS is back up to 35-45 range.
The dwarf caravan came by, and we decided we really needed to unload some of these misc. crafts and baubles, so they're leaving with a profic of over 400,000* and a further offering of about 600,000* (which included 2 artifact battle axes a cyclops wielded against us.)
As soon as we were done loading up the caravan, though... Another cyclops decided to try her luck. I wonder if she's related to the last one at all? Either way, I don't think this was a good idea for her... She was dead before she was even in view of the trade depot. We didn't even set a civilian alert, just had the axe and swordswarf squads run to intercept her. This one didn't bring any artifacts, and didn't manage to lang a single attack.

The queen went mad. Meloncholic, because we wuoldn't butcher an animal for her to make her artifact. her and the hammerer's son, a performer in one of the temples, has inherited the title, and her rooms.

Edit2: Vesselrays has become the mountainhome! We've been the home of the queen, and her son and successor for a couple years, but apparently we needed to be made a county before we can become the mountainhome officially. I keep generating so much wealth and shoving it onto the caravan that I skip completely over having a duke or duchess and go straight from county to mountainhome. It feels like the requirements are a bit too lax, honestly.

Anyway, we've acheived our 2 main goals: Become a vegan mountainhome, and make a bunch of legendary axedwarfs and pile of masterwork steel equipment I can use to make an exceissively well-trained adventurer.

This was the last dwarven civ on this world that didn't have a mountainhome I built, so, now on to phase 2 of this world's fate, prep an absurd adventurer and then crack open the HFS in all the forts except vesselrays. Not that the site government Soshsolon ('The Sandaled Flag') or their civilization Vucar Idash 'The Urn of Moistening" are above greed, they simply have so much wealth near the surface that it will likely take them a while to get that far. ((I want to see what kind of chaos exists in the world aftae all but one of the other mountainhomes falls to HFS)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:07:37 am by PetGreySquirrel »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55483 on: September 29, 2020, 02:47:12 pm »

So my fort's become boring. Other than the obvious way of digging too deep. How else can I kill everyone in my fort in a dramatic and hillarious fashion? I have DFhack so I can spawn something in.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55484 on: September 29, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »

Nvm, figured it out. I'm gonna dfhack one of my miners and make them really angry, drive them insane and then release them where all my kids live. I need to see if 15 toddlers can beat a Proficient Miner in melee combat
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 ... 3697 3698 [3699] 3700 3701 ... 3706