Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3698 3699 [3700] 3701 3702 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851915 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55485 on: September 30, 2020, 02:47:37 pm »

not quite 'whats going on in my fort' but the other day i apparently yelled "Dwarf Fortress" in my sleep, really clearly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:12:44 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #55486 on: September 30, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »

not quite 'whats going on in my fort' but the other day i apparently yelled "Dwarf Fortress" in my sleep, really clearly.

If it makes you feel any better, my sister frequently sleeptalks when she plays games too late before bed, and she has definitely been annoyed with dwarves in her sleep before.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55487 on: September 30, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »

I too have had angry dwarf dreams, not sure if I talk in my sleep at all though.

Last night I continued my cheaty test fort, manufactured a bunch of steel gear to arm a militia, now I'm planning to take over the world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55488 on: October 01, 2020, 12:50:00 am »

When I have DF dreams, it's usually adventure mode, quite thrilling stuff!  I remember discovering some pink eyeless amphibian experiments that were indeed unique, for they had custom Phoebus sprites.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55489 on: October 01, 2020, 02:26:57 am »

When I have DF dreams, it's usually adventure mode, quite thrilling stuff!  I remember discovering some pink eyeless amphibian experiments that were indeed unique, for they had custom Phoebus sprites.

My DF dreams are usually frustrating, involving me trying to solve some problem in-game similar to one I'm actually working on, but being baffled by the mechanics of it.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55490 on: October 02, 2020, 03:15:21 pm »

My DF dreams are usually frustrating, involving me trying to solve some problem in-game similar to one I'm actually working on, but being baffled by the mechanics of it.
I wasn't having a DF dream, that I can remember, but I have had DF dreams before
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55491 on: October 04, 2020, 05:34:53 pm »

My palatial prison cells have long been used by passing dwarfs as places to get food, drink, and to pray (each has a satellite temple of "The Imprisoned Wine").  It's alright until something like this happens.

Bembla, a legendary speardorf that went a bit off the deep end, was removed from the military so she wouldn't stab anyone while she quietly went crazier.  Then she punched four different dorfs as they passed her by in the main temple as she was praying. She was convicted of the disorderly conduct charges and chained in the first cell.

I forgot to lock the door.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now Moldath, with a stable personality, steel armor, and a silver hammer is locked in the cell with her and two corpses, just waiting for her next tantrum.

"Hi Bembla... I remember me, Moldath?  How about those good old days when you had a spear and armor?  Let's spar, eh?  Hahaha!"

"Um, get me out of here, Moldath, please.  It's not my fault.  It's Toady's fault."

"Hello, my name is Moldath, you killed my friends... prepare to tantrum!"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:38:00 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55492 on: October 05, 2020, 08:11:10 am »

Bembla's not locked in here with you... Actually no one's locked in here at all, the door isn't locked

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55493 on: October 05, 2020, 11:37:13 am »

It didn't work.  Moldath was locked in with Bembla for a while. 
She prayed, slept, and tantrumed, but didn't attack Moldath.

So I stationed another hammerdorf in there with them for safety while letting others put the two corpses in tombs before they rotted.
Of course, a kid came in there to play, but I got them all out without incident and now Bembla is alone in the locked cell.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #55494 on: October 05, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »

I basically started a dwarven outpost a while back, and everything was going great. Or so I thought.
Basically, I made a big oopsie and forgot about alcohol. So all my dwarves started to go to the temple constantly. Eventually I had some drinks back, but the dwarves refused to leave the Church and started to only drink water. Shocking, I know!
Then we got attacked by a were-gila-monster.
Okay now, I dunno when is the right time to have a military squad and who's the most qualified for the job (which is why I wish Adjudants were a thing in-game), but I was basically at 60 dwarves, all of which were constantly working when they were not at the Temple. And so, basically, all I had were a bunch of adequate wrestlers.
They did beat the hell out of that were-monster though. But they all got bitten. And when they transformed, it was a BLOODBATH.
Men, women and children were screaming in agony and crying for help, while the six human monster hunters were chilling out in the Temple. Blood was spilled everywhere, entire corridors became butcheries, and the tavern was a mess. But worst of all, the Hospital was a mausoleum. I locked the last were-gila monsters there, and they all bled to death at some point. They did kill one human monster hunter though, which pissed off the others.
In the end, I had four survivors. FOUR. And they were all traumitized like shit. Eventually some migrants came when the four little lads were done cleaning up the place and were like "wow, you made all this and you're just four, what's going on?". So everything came back to normal, to the exception of the four tantruming dwarves that I had, which included an orphan, who died of dehydration. Another tantruming dwarf was killed by another dwarf who had a fell mood. He made a giant axe out of his spine.
And now, everything became... Kinda boring. Nothing happened since.

Oh yeah, also, thanks to the well I had placed, I could watch the life of a forgotten beast, a giant scaled leech with deadly blood, who killed 3 blind cave ogres, an army of crundles, 5 trogoldytes, a gorlak, and 2 cave crocodiles. This guy made his own nest out of his victim's bones (actually no but it looks like it). There was also a giant feathered humanoid forgotten beast that came in, but he was killed by a cave crocodile. Lame.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55495 on: October 05, 2020, 02:01:16 pm »

Started playing again now that I have a new machine that is not 11 years old... Well, cant say it has been a boring day! Here is what happened:

1. Some random human arrives and demands I hand over an artifact... I have NO IDEA what they are talking about or which one (have not played in a LONG time) because some other human arrived with murder on his mind, got killed, dropped some named items... Thought it was one of those... Turns out it was a legendary leather shield one of my 7 had made in the first year. No way. Call up the militia, all 39 of them and guard the door. I mercilessly cut down the first two humans they see... With fists. No weapons yet, one had an axe I think? They basically beat two random humans (a dog joined in to) to death only for me to find out the one in question is in the tavern with the shield! Militia shows up while human and 5 dwarves are doing a dance routine and they promptly tore him limb from limb, literally. The hoard is secure!

2. Cave crocodile finds its way inside, kills 1, mauls 1, tries to drown little Urist McTimmy age 7. Timmy kills crocodile in underwater battle. YAY Timmy! Timmy swims to safety.

3. A man shows up at random a year later... Wearing... A helmet. Thats it, just a helmet, buck naked! Screams that my hoard belongs to him and storms inside armed with 1 legendary spear and 1 legendary shield. 39 angry dwarves drop their ale mugs and go after him. Horrible, horrible battle ensues in the main stairwell. Horrible for Humey McNaked that is, he never stood a chance. He wounds a dwarf, kills none and is promptly beaten to death. Beaten so hard blood went up one level and down 2 levels. Nutty SOB would never have been able to have kids ever again had he lived anyway, angry dwarven boots are nasty. The hoard was protected!

Other than that there has been an ongoing booze shortage that is being remedied, guild halls and one temple have sprung up, a goblin artist visited and had his head caved in just for being a goblin... I think that sums things up quite nicely so far. Oh and the dwarves in the tavern who saw the goblin die? They all gathered together for a song and dance immediately after the goblin died. On top of his body no less.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55496 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:19 am »

Goslings have hatched.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55497 on: October 07, 2020, 01:05:31 pm »

New fort, new world. I wanted to play around with a more shallow (only one cavern) world, and while working on advanced parameters, I got this beautiful small world.
The randomly generated name is "the Absolute World", so, obviously I had to keep it.

My first fortress in The Absolute World, Atistathtat "Stakeplunged", was founded by Tholtig Garroth "The Barricade of Disembowling", a group branching off of Egstakalath "The Evicerated Bolts", which prior to our embark had only a single outpost, which can be seen in the north-western mountain range. Our first year didn't even have an outpost liason! though one was found by our 2nd year.
We embarked on the same mountain range, north east of the civilizations other site. The site finder said the location had shallow metals, deep metals, flux, soil, and no aquifer, it also has a brook bisecting the site. It is cold, and the northern part of the brook is frozen year round, the lower portion of the brook thawed in mid spring, We pulled what water from it we could divert, and made it into a well over a cistern that has lasted us the last 3 years. It is the only clean, fresh, unfrozen water on the map. There is no water in the caverns, and the unfrozen portion of the brook flowed off to the south and has been dry since. I may have to make a magma pool under the frozen part of the brook to try to melt it.
As for those "metals" ... well, it was technically not wrong. We have horn silver, native silver, AND galena! ... and that's it. No iron or even copper for armour, no gold or platinum for high-value trade goods. We do have a LOT of bituminous coal, though, so fuel has been a complete non-issue, and we've been able to pump out (literal) tonnes of silver and lead baubles, furniture, and weapons. Thankfully, dwarves are immune to the heavy metal poisoning from all the lead, so, this hasn't been too bad for the fort overall. Even the children seem perfectly healthy despite hours playing with lead puzzleboxes, boats, and hammers, while sitting on a pile of lead bracelets, crowns, and scepters.
All the silver and lead crafts are, at least, good for trading, and between the humans and dwarves we've managed to import bars of other metals, and various bits of armour and weaponry to equip our soldiers with, add to traps, or melt down, depending on it's usefulness. We're finally starting to get our own armourers to piece together full suits, though, the mix-and-match approach to the metals we ave means some soldiers are settling for mere copper coverings to some parts of their body. Better than leather, at least.
Seems we started gearing up our military in metal just in time, too. They've been training with leather, shields, and silver weapons for a while now -- the hammerdwarves and mace dwarves are firmly in the realm of competence, and one of the marksdwarves just reached elite status! -- but the lack of real armour has been a major worry. Turns out, this is for good reason. In the last year, we got ambushed by 2 squads of elves, and a siege of the walking dead. They were dispached quickly, but, those wooden arrows can pierce leather and we suffered some injuries as a result, and the undead managed to kill one of our dwarves. Hopefully, by the time they come back, we'll have everyone in at least a full covering of copper, with better materials where we can get them for the front-line dwarves, which I think will be sufficient to stop the wooden arrows of the elves, and soften the punches and bites of the undead considerably.
I didn't realize our civilization was at war with the elves. I can't say I'm too surprised, but it was unexpected. I also can't say I'm too worried about them. 

We've had a pair of forgotten beasts -- a flea with poison spit, and a spider with a venomous bite. The spider managed to kill a manager, but, was otherwise not very effective. The flea accomplished nothing of note, not even an injury. These silver maces and hammers seem to be pretty good at cracking open exoskeletons. Still, would be nice to get some speardwarves trained and armed with decent spears, to speed things along. Right now I have a squad of speardwarves started and training. Hopefully by the time they're ready to be put into a fight, we'll have some decent quality spears... The miners said something about an interesting metal in the bottom most reaches of the fortress, beneath the cavern layer... perhaps we'll make some spears from it and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:33:22 pm by PetGreySquirrel »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55498 on: October 07, 2020, 01:30:02 pm »

Perhaps Dwarves are immune to lead poisoning, or the mental effects of lead poisoning are just indistinguishable from the Dwarves' natural state of being

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55499 on: October 07, 2020, 02:12:21 pm »

Perhaps Dwarves are immune to lead poisoning, or the mental effects of lead poisoning are just indistinguishable from the Dwarves' natural state of being

I just chalk it up to being an environmental pressure leading them to evolve a resilience to heavy metal poisonings of various sorts. Same as their ability to work a smelter 50 Z-levels deep in an non-ventilated room without suffocating or dieing from the various toxic chemicals that process releases.

I wonder if they need alcohol so badly to fuel the chemical reaction happening in their body to neutralize and remove the metals, actually.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:16:27 pm by PetGreySquirrel »
Pages: 1 ... 3698 3699 [3700] 3701 3702 ... 3836