Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3699 3700 [3701] 3702 3703 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851817 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55500 on: October 07, 2020, 03:00:10 pm »

Maybe, alcohol does act as a solvent, bit I've never heard of it being used to remove metals from an organic solution like blood. And if that were the case, iron deficiency would be a symptom of alcohol poisoning. So if alcohol is involved in protecting dwarves from toxins and heavy metals, there's some complex biological process involved.

Or magic. Dwarves could be magical after all.

Worse, a quick google search tells me alcoholic liver disease is associated with iron overload, and a couple alcoholic drinks a day supposedly reduces the risk of iron deficiency, so it could lead to heavy metal poisoning beginning faster in metal rich environments??
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:04:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55501 on: October 07, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »

But what about the radiation poisoning from the pitchblende mugs and barrels?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55502 on: October 07, 2020, 05:29:40 pm »

But what about the radiation poisoning from the pitchblende mugs and barrels?
the lead poisoning protects them from that
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55503 on: October 07, 2020, 06:14:16 pm »

DF is all about balancing your poisons.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55504 on: October 07, 2020, 08:33:01 pm »

Thankfully, dwarves are immune to the heavy metal poisoning from all the lead, so, this hasn't been too bad for the fort overall. Even the children seem perfectly healthy despite hours playing with lead puzzleboxes, boats, and hammers, while sitting on a pile of lead bracelets, crowns, and scepters.

As Lead is not absorbed through the Skin, it can only poison Dwarfs if they Ingest or Inhale it, so unless the Children are chewing on the Lead Toys they will not be poisoned.  Most Cases of Lead Poisoning are caused by Lead-based Compounds in Paint, as opposed to Lead Objects, which may be due to the Paint tasting better.

In other News, We have have learned that Forty to Fifty Dwarfs are able to destroy Twenty-Nine Undead Corpses, despite being grossly underarmed, with only Five Deaths.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55505 on: October 08, 2020, 06:18:12 pm »

With regard to dwarves surviving their harsh environment, I recently stumbled across this wiki article that provides some illumination on the subject.
At birth, a male baby dwarf has a beard of length zero. After that, they gain 1 length every day until they have 1000 length.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Beard

In my fort, bearded though they may be, a loyalty cascade claimed the lives of 14.  A tailor failed a mood due to there being no logs and went berserk.  A squad of 7 hammerdwarves were stationed at the clothiers' shop waiting for Urist to snap, but as soon as the fighting started, a whole bunch of regular civilians also jumped into the fray.  It all happened so fast it was hard to tell what was going on.  When the dust cleared, 6 of the 7 hammerdwarves were dead. 

The workshops have since been moved from the middle of their feeder stockpiles, to their own 3x3 rooms with lockable doors on the edges of the stockpiles.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55506 on: October 08, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »

Year 13 of Torchlaud on the rain-soaked volcanic mountain, and we have 117 citizens including 6 babies born there. Non-dwarves are not welcomed.
Poor Bembla the insane speardwarf mentioned above has died in her chains behind the locked gold door.
Tebul, a miner that went nuts (incidentally he was one of those that Bembla had beaten up) was imprisoned after a beating by the guard.

The mountainside castle with 6 towers was completed just days before a siege of about 125 humans, goblins, elves, and dwarfs occurred.
(Building on the slopes and terracing can be a mind-bender sometimes in ASCII, lol.)

Please pray to Armok for the souls of Urist and Fik, their sacrifice during the siege was for a good cause... to keep them from killing other citizens  ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siege has just nicely been lifted. About 50 burned in the magma chamber, 6 are in cages from the fight with Urist and Fik.
Another 17 that were trapped in passages have been allowed to go back through after most of the magma drained, which they promptly
did and now are feeling the second dosage of molten rock. Unfortunately about 8 are locked in the brand new exquisitely decorated trade depot,
now coated with dog's blood and filled with miasma... they'll be easy pickings a bit later. The rest of them left the map.

Funerals will be conducted as determined by mayor & CoG Urvad the Fearful.
The greedy, nervous 45 year old baron Udib (legendary hammerdorf) is happily sparring and teaching in one of the outdoor barracks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:49:59 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

sabbingia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55507 on: October 10, 2020, 08:58:04 am »

I haven't played the game since version 0.31 and picked it up again this week.

I am in this almost completely frozen forest, but luckily there is an aquifer.
I'm trying to tap into the aquifer to create an underground cistern to get drinking water all year round. I hope it works.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55508 on: October 10, 2020, 11:56:05 am »

I embarked on top of an old kobold cave by accident. Inhabited by two ettins. I successfully walked them into the living area without them noticing. I have all the mechanisms and weapons from their traps available to me. Used them as quick trade goods for the first caravan. Also walled off the caverns and the exit to the surface of the cave.

The embark is actually at the confluence of a couple small rivers so I have a nice waterfall and my embark is surrounded on three sides by river and canyon, making it quite defensible.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55509 on: October 10, 2020, 06:50:42 pm »

I'm trying to do a successful fortress reclaim (historical fortress, not one of my own). I've never managed to pull it off as I almost always uncover the hordes of undead in the fort and die to them, or dig-deepers come to the surface before I'm ready. I managed to wall off each entrance to each level.

The reclaiming dwarves of Helmtails have gained access to the first set of floors - three floors of storage, bedrooms, and forges. Lots of work to do in clean up, but all the furniture, weapons, and armor we could ever want was left when the fortress was lost. But whatever scared off the dwarves the first time is still in here somewhere...

EDIT: WE FOUND IT
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:54:53 am by delphonso »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55510 on: October 11, 2020, 04:28:06 am »

The stray billy goat was stung by a bumblebee.

Truly an event that will be remembered for ages to come. Necromancer-slaying militia, step aside, this goat bested y'all!

Edit: And secretive mood tick after. Was that an omen?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55511 on: October 11, 2020, 05:09:18 am »

The stray billy goat was stung by a bumblebee.

Truly an event that will be remembered for ages to come.

The engraving of the heinous crime.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55512 on: October 11, 2020, 05:56:58 am »

That goat is enjoying it too much.

Sugardust

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Dyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55513 on: October 11, 2020, 06:14:54 am »

Finally have managed to figure out how to make it out of the early-game. Food and drinks are all in order, the manager was recently elected to mayor, and I've made my first soap. The day is good.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:18:03 am by Sugardust »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55514 on: October 11, 2020, 06:30:12 am »

That goat is enjoying it too much.

This is much too sexual.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3699 3700 [3701] 3702 3703 ... 3836