Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3700 3701 [3702] 3703 3704 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862678 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55515 on: October 11, 2020, 06:35:20 am »

Spoiler: uwu (click to show/hide)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55516 on: October 11, 2020, 06:42:28 am »

Now I regret.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55517 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:17 am »

Improved it 1 million%. That's the work of an auteur. chefkiss.jpeg

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55518 on: October 11, 2020, 10:49:02 am »

Finally have managed to figure out how to make it out of the early-game. Food and drinks are all in order, the manager was recently elected to mayor, and I've made my first soap. The day is good.
Yay Sugardust. Now the fun begins! (The FUN was always there and likely won't go away.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55519 on: October 11, 2020, 11:05:22 am »

There are times I really wish this forums had an upvote function.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55520 on: October 11, 2020, 11:37:41 am »

Improved it 1 million%. That's the work of an auteur. chefkiss.jpeg
We bear witness to this masterpiece engraving

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55521 on: October 11, 2020, 05:52:17 pm »

delphonso felt satisfied at work.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55522 on: October 11, 2020, 06:15:45 pm »

I spent the winter with the eight miners I somehow wound up with in a 19 dwarf fortress channeling out a defensive perimeter around my river-fort. It is now surrounded on all four sides by a 4 story deep canyon with a three tile wide overhang around the top.

The fort itself nearly ran out of booze because I got so distracted with the landscaping I forgot to order more produced. They've got a nice dining room around the well, and bedrooms for everyone, at the very least. And a statue garden on the surface.

Part of the embark borders an evil forest, and it rains Vutchnell blood non-stop. Everything above ground level gets soaked in red.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55523 on: October 12, 2020, 01:09:52 am »

Part of the embark borders an evil forest, and it rains Vutchnell blood non-stop. Everything above ground level gets soaked in red.

This reminds Us of the Bloody Hills, which were named for the Rains of Human Blood which covered them.  Our first mature Fortress was founded in those Hills.

We remember those Times fondly.

In more current News, We at Granitebristle have just fought off Seventeen Elfen Ambushes.

At the same Time.  For some unknown Reason, Eighteen of them were Horses.

No Dwarfs were killed in the Battle, so they have been entirely beneficial to the Fortress by providing Trade Goods and a Change of Diet.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55524 on: October 12, 2020, 10:42:17 am »

My fort doesn't seem to be able to be promoted to a barony. We are officially the largest settlement of our civ, with 180 dwarves, and are obscenely wealthy thanks to all the coal and silver leading to near constant production of high-value trade goods, blunt weapons, and furniture. 
Our hammer and mace dwarves have reached elite status, several legendary. Some of the marksdwarves have as well, though the 2 newer squads are being trained up still. The speardwarves are on the cusp of elite status, and have very high quality spears made from a mysterious metal we found in the magma sea. We have processed what of it we could, but the lack of water means getting any more from the vein is out of our reach right now. A magma pumpstack might be the next major investment if we need to get to more of it. We have enough left now that we could make a complete suit of armour from it, but it may be better used for weapons and have some left over for moody dwarves.
A shooting gallery/arena has been built off of the dining hall, complete with a chute to the magma sea for the soldiers training there to clean up the bodies. It's also rather nice for recycling cages back into the traps. The first trial of it was a bunch of cavern creatures we caged, the marksdwarves got quite a lot of practice in on that one. The 2nd was the marksdwarves and speardwarves. Were both in for the 2nd round, against a dozen captured elves (allowed to keep their gear -- not that their wooden weapons and armour do much for them anyway -- and about 18 crundles that were clogging up the traps in the caverns. No one on our team even got injured, but I shouldn't have had so many in the arena at once, it wasn't great training for any single squad.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55525 on: October 12, 2020, 03:52:01 pm »

My fort doesn't seem to be able to be promoted to a barony.
Count your blessings, and be careful what you wish for. My fortress of 8 dwarves (and two kids) already has the queen, and a countess. The queen is fine, she's never made any demand, but the countess...
We messed up and accidently exported some of the leather armors that she keeps demanding, and now she has sentenced no less than five of us to long prison sentences of up to 225 days.

I for one wish the countess, the queen and the sherrif much luck running the fortress in the meantime, while taking care of the kids and the animals.  ::)

Edit: I did of course did not have the capacity for this amount of prisoners in my small fortress, so the countess ordered two of the victims to a beating instead. They are wounded and in hospital while our doctor is in jail, but I think they might survive. sigh..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:38:30 pm by Bralbaard »

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55526 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »

It's spring again, which means I have like 80 elves wandering around trying to kill my herbalists. Once they were seen I sent the civilians inside, and the 56 soldiers we've got (26 marksdwarves, 10 hammerdwarves, 10 macedwarves, 10 speardwarves) were sent to meet them at the gates. Since we've gotten enough metal armour for the hammer, mace, and spear dwarves the elf weapons have become a non-threat. Even arrows bounce harmlessly off bronze breastplaes and steel helms. Our only injury was a hammerlord who was wrestled to the ground and beaten by 5 of them until another of her squad bashed their way through the horde to help.

Unfortunately, there's now a lot of bodies to try to clean up. This... might take a while.

Edit/update: Cleanup looks like it will take most of the spring. We have the bodies gone at least, so no more horrified dwarves sobbing about dead elves, but they left a lot of pretty much worthless wooden armour and weapons that need to be cleaned up still.
The one injured dwarf ended up dieing in the hospital, before even being diagnosed, so we lost one hammerdwarf in the exchange. Shouldn't be too hard to train up a new one to take up her Masterwork silver hammer, but, it's always sad to see a dwarf die to elves.

Edit/update 2: Cleanup took until nearly the start of summer, as anticipated. In the meantime, the engravers finished engraving the arena, and all of the bedrooms, dining halls, meeting areas, temples, etc. We built some archer's nests in front of the gate into the fortress, to keep them away from the melee when the elves inevitably return, and our best armoursmith was tasked with taking what was left of that strange blue metal into a suit of armour for the militia commander, the only pieces not masterworks were a boot and the gauntlets. I doubt there is a better protected dwarf anywhere else in the world right now.
Unfortunately, with our civilization on the verge of collapse, we're not able to advance to a barony, or county -- no sites have been founded nearby, despite our obscene wealth, and the hundreds of elven invaders our legendary militia has bludgeoned the teeth out of, and so, Atistathtat "Stakeplunged" has been retired, at least for the time being. Perhaps this shining beacon of dwarven opulence will be enough to hold back the elven onslaught and breathe new life into Egstakalath "The Evicerated Bolts", our parent civilization. Time will tell, I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:16:58 pm by PetGreySquirrel »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55527 on: October 13, 2020, 12:18:17 pm »

Count your blessings, and be careful what you wish for. My fortress of 8 dwarves (and two kids) already has the queen, and a countess. The queen is fine, she's never made any demand, but the countess...
We messed up and accidently exported some of the leather armors that she keeps demanding, and now she has sentenced no less than five of us to long prison sentences of up to 225 days.

It would be terrible if something happened to her, wouldn't it?

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55528 on: October 13, 2020, 08:50:32 pm »

Tried to embark on a sinister volcano... Before the miners could even finish digging out a room from the stone that the side of the volcano is made from for us to hide under, a disguising blue mucous fell from the sky. A burrow was declared under what little roofing we had, and everyone (including the animals -- in a pen area) was told to stay inside it (military alert), under the safety of the stone roof. Items outside the burrow were forbidden, but a few dwarves ran out into the rain anyway, several tiles outside the burrow. I am not sure why -- I forbid the cart to prevent them from trying to run after any stray items.
Every dwarf, and every animal, died within a couple days, showing yellow wounds to every exposed piece of skin and falling unconscious before they did. Even dwarves who hadn't run out into the rain seemed to pick it up from the floor, corpses, or their fellows who had.
I am not sure this site is even inhabitable, if I had even one day to get a roof over our heads it likely would have been fine, but the near-instant death rain not even 10 seconds from my unpausing seems to imply that we won't be taking advantage of this volcano after all.

Trying a reclaim... So far 3 dead, and all we managed to get inside was some booze and 3 tower cap logs... But if we can reach the caverns quickly, our carpenter/mason, macedwarf and 2 miners can likely make a solid go of things. We have dogs and cats to butcher if we come close to starving in the meantime, but no water is accessable and the seeds are in the toxic sludge so we'll depend on untrained herbalism to start farming.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:30:29 pm by PetGreySquirrel »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55529 on: October 13, 2020, 09:30:02 pm »

The dwarfs may have run out because the wagon is a default meeting area.
Did you make a meeting area zone inside the room?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 3700 3701 [3702] 3703 3704 ... 3836