Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3704 3705 [3706] 3707 3708 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858045 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55575 on: October 27, 2020, 06:19:27 am »

Guess being a slayer of a FB comes with a price...
Don't worry, the Chief Medical Dwarf says it's just a flesh wound. A few sutures and he'll be right as rain
Chief Medical Frog
That would explain the green skin

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55576 on: October 27, 2020, 08:40:05 am »

Started a new fort with the smallest pop i've ever done yet, 60 dwarves. Games proceeding alright but i haven't paid much attention to legends before i start. Eventually it becomes clear that i'm not going to get elfin or human caravans. I check civilisations.

Okay, this is one of those dead worlds i've heard about. The Diamond Sorcers is the last civ apart from mine (and apparently there's no more settlements of my civ left so my civ probably should have died if that bug wasn't in operation), they're a horrifying dwarven necromatic cult, but they haven't bothered me so far

Annoying, elves and humans are how i get a nice diverse crop collection and more books. I begin raiding the surrounding territory for books and seeds. Plenty of books but no seeds.

Unfortunately this provokes the Diamond Sorcers. I now have a siege of 200ish undead knocking on my gates. Armed zombies, walking naked corpses, intelligent undead and horrifying llama-based abominations of nature that should never have been. They won't leave and no amount of bolts will kill them, all i can do is traumatise my soldiers while they fire uselessly from afar. Time to build a bloody big trap corridor i suppose...
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

xp8k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55577 on: October 27, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »

Had a Giantess invade my fort who was carrying 2 of the around 10 artifacts from world gen, so I was eager to get my marksdwarfs into position while she racked up kills by beating wildlife with the large bronze breastplate or the bronze helm.

Of course my trap and fortifications ended up way to complicated and took over a season to be carved out. But this worked out for the best, the next visitor was a Minotaur who was armed with the 1 artifact from world gen that I actually wanted, a Bismuth Bronze battle axe.

Most interesting was the history behind it. It was the first artifact weapon created in the world, crafted by a dwarf in year 12. Somehow the dwarf died to some elves who kept the axe for around 60 years. Eventually a goblin army invaded and it was claimed by a goblin who ended up getting 2 more kills with the axe before facing off with the Minotaur and dying. The Minotaur would end up racking up another dozen kills with the axe. Victims included goblin and dwarf equally.

At first I was worried for the Minotaur considering the size difference between it and a giant. The Minotaur charged the giantess and with the first swing, sliced the giants neck opening major arteries. The Giantess swung at the Minotaur a few times, but the attacks were dodged. The Minotaur's next attack spilled the guts of the Giantess, who now fearing for her life began to flee. The Minotaur easily kept pace, first taking off the Giantess's left foot, and then the left leg entirely. While the Giantess cried for help, the only thought the Minotaur had was "Our existence here is fleeting... I feel nothing"

I HAD to catch this Minotaur, but not for the weapon he was wielding, instead so I could keep this legend caged for later use. I abandoned the complexities of my trap and went for the classic cage trap tunnel. Of course the Beast was still hungry for kills and wanted to ensure my dwarves existence on this plane was fleeting as well, he seemed to sense where the tunnel entrance would be before it was even mined out, even after changing the mining designations. Eventually I breached the mountainside and immediately the more observant dwarves fled for their lives. The unfortunate miner who opened the mountainside first lost his left arm, and then his head went sailing before he could even process a thought. The mechanic who just finished building a trap which still lacked a cage ran down the tunnel with the Minotaur moving at a speed I didn't think was possible, (I thought my fps was bad, but in reality all my dwarves are just slow and lazy) needless to say the mechanic was punished for his sloth. His own lower leg went soaring past him, decorating the tunnel with blood as it flew. Surely the mechanic thought he was doomed as he fell to the ground, but behind him the beast was caught in the one artifact Nickel cage!

As of now, the Minotaur is caged in the meeting area. Took forever to haul the metal cage when it was empty, and even longer when it was loaded with a Minotaur.

I'm open to ideas for what to do with the Minotaur, I may toss the king in to play with him if he doesn't stop asking for toy boats and obscure metal doors in the dining room...
Is there any way to equip him with even more gear?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55578 on: October 27, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

I'm open to ideas for what to do with the Minotaur, I may toss the king in to play with him if he doesn't stop asking for toy boats and obscure metal doors in the dining room...
Is there any way to equip him with even more gear?

Considering it having a [SEMIMEGABEAST] tag and being intelligent, I don't think minotaur's gonna cooperate. But they're total beasts, with Expert+ skills, lucky you! Having a minotaur captured, you could definitely pull off some insane stupid dwarf tricks.

Our last safe frog men haven lost a citizen due to depression. No new migrants in years, we're definitely the last of our kind. Wanted to make new soap, but all lye had frozen solid. Had another FB attack, but it was just a two-tailed steam blob, no big deal. But another miasma problem arose.

Since we have a clean river and a few pools next to our stronghold, and an army of fishermen, all of our food stockpiles have been filled completely and some of the food has started rotting directly in our kitchens. And not in the kitchens above the taverns, but those next to the underground stairs, so almost everyone was passing through it. Now we've already dealt with it, but I feel a new miasma issue will pop out somewhere in near future, it's almost like a curse at this point.

Also made a fun statue next to our new hospitals. It's the first queen of our nation eating one hundred cheese, and a flask is confused.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55579 on: October 27, 2020, 04:59:00 pm »

I've had success with having a minotaur stealing a battle axe off a Dwarves' hands before, otherwise I think there might be some DFhack plugins that could help like forceequip

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55580 on: October 28, 2020, 04:22:41 pm »

I added 3 additional forges, and restricted 2 of the 6 forges to weaponsmithing, 2 to armoring, and 2 to blacksmithing/metalsmithing, to make production more efficient. Specifically, the goal of this is to avoid situations where all forges are being held up by orders that involve the same labor. We only have two weaponsmiths and two armorers in the fort, so it doesn't help if there are three forges waiting on them.

The response of the metalsmith guild was to schedule the entire season full of Metalsmithing demonstration!
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55581 on: October 29, 2020, 12:16:51 pm »

It is time to set the minimum skill level on those new forges to keep the new novices out!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55582 on: October 29, 2020, 03:41:11 pm »

Gozru Nguslulom, royal advisor is visiting.

So this goblin noble comes to my fort to "relax". "He heard this was the place to enjoy oneself."

That makes no sense at all, because I don't have a tavern, or a publicly accessible temple, and I've been sending away all monster hunters who tried to come here.

He's a complete spy and I'm going to execute him. Just need to try to do it away from everybody else, or it may end like my last fort, where dozens of bodies lay in the dining hall because nobody wants to move them.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55583 on: October 29, 2020, 05:01:51 pm »

Spies do tend to wander down dangerous corridors where the FBs dwell

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55584 on: October 30, 2020, 02:06:11 am »

Anyone know what this

is about?

I haven't designated any temples yet.

Edit:

Strange.  I can't find anyone named "Mafol" in the units list...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:09:55 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55585 on: October 30, 2020, 03:44:44 am »

A visitor perhabs, or someone sneaking about?
Also if you have renamed units they may show up using their old names in some announcements, or the announcement might be giving away the true identity of a spy?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:47:31 am by Bralbaard »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55586 on: October 30, 2020, 04:25:33 am »

Perhaps the game chose to tell you a world event (like a monarch succession) because one of your dwarves follows that religion.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55587 on: October 30, 2020, 01:10:43 pm »

A visitor perhabs, or someone sneaking about?
Also if you have renamed units they may show up using their old names in some announcements, or the announcement might be giving away the true identity of a spy?

I didn't get my first artifact until after the announcement.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55588 on: October 30, 2020, 03:42:02 pm »

Lost two citizens to stress, one went berserk, one was attacked by a weremonitor, who has bitten off her tooth. I don't know if that could transfer the infection, but we expelled her just in case.

Got another exotic animals to guard our gates. A pair of black bears, dingoes and cougars, all had their first young recently. Everything looked great... Then the water blob came.

A forgotten beast made out of water, should be a piece of cake, right? Wrong, for it had the worst special attack of all, webs. It entangled one of our mace lords and crushed him afterwards, and mangles the lower left half of a spearmaster. She is lying in hospital to this very day. No other casualties, but at this rate our race is still dying out.

Oh, and the One Ring was stolen. Not by a visiting criminal mastermind, that one just went to chill in the sculptures garden. It was some holy tusk brought back by a necromancer, and today he returned. He did have the artifact with  him, so we ambushed him at the town square, and took what has always belonged to us. Hope the necromancer won't seek revenge...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55589 on: October 30, 2020, 05:16:15 pm »

Holygorges' tree farm has been dug out and now all but 2 of my miners are legendary +5.  Now to wait...
Pages: 1 ... 3704 3705 [3706] 3707 3708 ... 3836