Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3705 3706 [3707] 3708 3709 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858375 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55590 on: October 30, 2020, 06:17:16 pm »

Middle of year 14 in Torchlaud (pop. 111 + 6 kids), on the 25th migration wave and the 3rd large siege is happening now. (The 2nd siege of 175 enemies perished at a cost to us of 16 mostly legendary dwarfs in a pitched outdoor battle where we suffered from the inevitable lack of troop coordination).

Udib, baron of 13 years needs a trumpet fanfare for being such a good one. He's one of our most formidable fighters and only mandates bucklers  :)  With his silver warhammer "The Vault of Jails" he's killed 17 humans and 1 dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The current siege is 200 humans, goblins, and dwarfs.  We're staying inside the castle walls (1 errant dorf was killed outside, and a 2nd barely got inside). The enemy took the small section of wall between square towers 3 & 4 because a brass door was blocked open by an extra chunky pile of vomit (it was inevitable), but it's sealed off at the towers. Humans climbed the inside stairs to the top of the wall section and received potshots from the marksdorf in ST3, then they gave up on that. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 06:18:58 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55591 on: October 30, 2020, 08:06:10 pm »

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55592 on: October 30, 2020, 09:27:30 pm »

Middle of year 14 in Torchlaud (pop. 111 + 6 kids), on the 25th migration wave and the 3rd large siege is happening now. (The 2nd siege of 175 enemies perished at a cost to us of 16 mostly legendary dwarfs in a pitched outdoor battle where we suffered from the inevitable lack of troop coordination).

Udib, baron of 13 years needs a trumpet fanfare for being such a good one. He's one of our most formidable fighters and only mandates bucklers  :)  With his silver warhammer "The Vault of Jails" he's killed 17 humans and 1 dwarf.

The current siege is 200 humans, goblins, and dwarfs.  We're staying inside the castle walls (1 errant dorf was killed outside, and a 2nd barely got inside). The enemy took the small section of wall between square towers 3 & 4 because a brass door was blocked open by an extra chunky pile of vomit (it was inevitable), but it's sealed off at the towers. Humans climbed the inside stairs to the top of the wall section and received potshots from the marksdorf in ST3, then they gave up on that. 

That's one cool castle design.  Makes me want to start a new fort on the side of a mountain  :)

Spoiler: zooming view (click to show/hide)

Not only is that excellent luck to dig right through such a small gap in that crazy cavern, but it also looks like a giant moth from what you've revealed of it.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55593 on: October 30, 2020, 10:06:03 pm »

Thanks Schmaven  :)
It's been a very fun project to build and it just kind of grew from the RT1 which I shouldn't have built so close to the map edge, but I wanted it on the highest elevation, so there it had to be. The outer & inner walls mostly follow the mountain contours and are 3z tall.  Then the outside wall faces are channeled down so the enemy faces 4-6z smooth vertical walls.  I resisted the temptation to use too many drawbridges for FUN (only the round towers have them).  I'm working on terraforming the inner bailey and all around the castle smoothing the rock or building block floor where there is sand.  The green glass tower floor was intended to hide all the vomit from training outdoors before the ceilings were built, lol.  Gotta love DFHack's digcircle!  TWBT causes crashes so I quit using it and miss having the multi-z view.

Working on new deeper main areas and supplying the stone blocks.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55594 on: October 31, 2020, 02:09:34 am »

My water buffalo calf just grew to become a water buffalo cow...

Also...

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55595 on: October 31, 2020, 02:40:36 pm »

Tired artifacts fit for nothing but sitting on pedestals to boost room value, every dwarf with a highest moodable skill of adequate or less is being trained as a weapon-smith or an armorer.  So far, got an artifact steel battle axe worth 198,000 which was immediately assigned to one of the fighters with a preference for axes.   

Other artifacts include:
  • Mountain goat leather dress
  • Frilly llama wool skirt
  • Pig tail head veil
  • White stork leather headscarf
  • Frilly llama wool headscarf
  • Frilly pig tail headscarf
With 45 newly adequate or better smiths ready for a strange mood, and another 10 in the pipeline, the future holds great hope.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55596 on: October 31, 2020, 03:25:07 pm »

Somebody has successfully stolen an artifact... well, almost. I got the red announcement that Dasëlkebul is missing from its proper place and immediately started looking for the thief.

My first action was to station the fortress guards at the exit, and send the rest of the military to do a shakedown of the civilian levels. However, then it occurred to me that the thief may have the artifact on their person, which I would be able to see in the v->i menu.

So I started looking through the list of visitors...

Fortunately, I found the artifact on the second guy in the list. He is already 30 paces from leaving the fortress area!

I sent the entire military after him (who haven't even gotten up for the shakedown which I ordered initially, because I hadn't even unpaused the game yet), and fortunately, he was killed before he was able to escape. Unfortunately, his death means I won't be able to interrogate him (which is a new feature I've been wanting to try out).

I now have guards stationed at the museum, the library, the dining hall, and patrolling the civilian levels. I'd like to see them try it again, now.

Looking through the combat logs right now, the thief appears to have had a set of combat equipment, including a silver battle axe, and bronze and copper armor.

Edit: I noticed another artifact is missing.

Guess what?

The person who has it is my militia captain.

He is a "dabbling schemer".

Edit 2: I stationed a bunch of extra soldiers in the museum. I watched the captain (who was concealing the artifact, with it being listed in his inventory as "Hidden") give the artifact to a scholar who then tried to leave the fort. I killed him while he was making his way through the hallway. I then got the announcement that "Kengtan was seen being stolen!", the game recentered on the scholar who was openly carrying the item. Not a very good move, but I would have found it anyway, because you can find any artifact, at any time, by pressing L, going to the artifact, and setting its follow hotkey.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:45:08 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55597 on: October 31, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »

Yeah, villainy and artefact thievery are a bit over the top at the moment. If you allow visitors, every dwarf at your fort is likely to end up in someone's pockets sooner or later.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55598 on: November 02, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »

For the very first time, a frog man caravan came to trade to our fort, with an outpost liaison, and shortly after eight new migrants came. Maybe our civilization is slowly rising again...

And another artifact has been stolen. I don't remember which one, tho. Our latest one was tetrahedrite door, with image of itself on it, first time such a thing happened to me.

Now we're at 71 citizen, 16 serving in military, and lots of livestock. Once again, we're preparing an army of bears. I enlisted our mayor, Nunge President Dingobij Nipedepei the First, and gave him our artifact copper long sword, and he's getting quite good. He has slayed two dingoes before his recruitment, hence I gave him the name Dingobij. I actually named lots of our prominent citizens, it's quite fun giving them new silly nicknames.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55599 on: November 02, 2020, 08:52:00 pm »

We have suffered a great Tragedy.  The entire World has ceased to be.

In more Doylist Terms, Our Laptop has become a Zombie and We have lost all Access to the Files.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55600 on: November 03, 2020, 05:24:38 am »

during the most recent year-long undead siege, a bunch of the procedural intelligent undead started popping out twins and triplets.  after the siege left, i guess the ones that were born here remained as “friendly” non-citizens, and have continued popping out twins and triplets.  i now have about 20 or so of them milling about the surface, harassing the local wildlife, and occasionally crossing the drawbridge and spooking my livestock.  i’m very curious to see what they do when the next siege arrives

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55601 on: November 03, 2020, 12:57:30 pm »

Another migrant wave arrived, and the caravan from Mountainhome did come again. I became curious as what does this truly mean, so I took a look at the 'C' world tab, and compared with my legends info from the time before I started this fort. And I found some very interesting stuff.

At the beginning (year 250), our civilization was said to control only one site, some camp, and the only noble listed was outpost liaison, Pedu Hoofglistened. The Mountainhome was conquered a long time ago by a witch, then conquered by another frog woman necromancer, now dead, as she was executed by lackeys of the original vile sorceress in 200, who conquered the Mountainhome again in 133. In 137, the fortress was said to be destroyed by a roc, thus abandoned by the witch's horde. So our civilization was struggling for more than hundred years...

Well, now it's year 256, and if I remember correctly it was this spring we started to get an influx of frog men. I've looked up our civ through the world tab. Pedu Hoofglistened, the outpost liaison from six years ago, is apparently our queen now. Not only that, but we have a noble on a baron level, assigned to the holding of the Mountainhome, a new outpost liaison, and some other guy.

I am making an alternative save, retiring the fort and look up current legends, because I need to know this. This is the reason I love DF, it's procedurally generated, but often rather epic stuff comes out.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55602 on: November 04, 2020, 12:57:28 pm »

Torchlaud's luckiest dwarf:  Ingiz, a civilian stone crafter with stress 24.5k who just can't get a handle on life.

1. Should we send him away?     No, he has an important wife in a crossbow squad and a baby, so we don't want to lose them too.
2. Should we let him go crazy?   No, we've had enough of that for a while.
3. Send him to the magma bridge?    Yes!

Ok, put him in a squad with no uniform and station him on the bridge, no problem.  Oh look, a way to die!  There he goes, Armok take his soul.  But wait, I said pull the lever a bit early, and a dwarf was unexpectedly quick pulling it... Ingiz wasn't on the bridge yet.  Ok, there goes Ingiz rushing off to an individual combat drill, naked.  Hurry, another lever pull and get him back on that bridge!

Great, there he goes back towards it, but his stress is rising from marching around naked and OH NO, he sinks into depression and freezes in place, 3 tiles away from his date with Armok.  Hilariously real. 

Take him out of the squad, he's on his own with his sad thoughts now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:03:48 pm by Uthimienure »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55603 on: November 05, 2020, 04:21:35 am »

Took a look at the current Legends, and apparently, mrs. Queen and her pals, lady Enu and diplomat En, and some random elf girl are hanging out in the ruined Mountainhome with the roc still there. I kinda worry about them... The fortress is not in list of our sites, probably because it was destroyed, but caravans and migrants are still coming. Now there are 96 of us, and 125 animals - we recently switched from those producing food (we went over limit again, miasma was coming out of kitchens) to dogs, dingoes, cougars and bears, also got some naked mole dogs. My only male dog was killed by a weresloth, but since the caravans now come regularly, we now have a load of dogs, they're really good in detecting those wretched werebeasts.

Mayor Dingobij is now legendary swordsman and fighter, and was re-elected again, he must be pretty popular. We started building a grand library in our new empty town square, so far we've built the ground floor, from four different colors, with silver and rose gold bookcases. I thought we hadn't any scribes nor written books in our fortress, but I was wrong - our citizens are hanging there out, reading some "Book of Fort". It's a guide about a fort named Paintreason, adorable.

The names and contents of books are always a joy to behold.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55604 on: November 05, 2020, 08:00:06 am »

Well my current fort has been nonstop !!FUN!! so far. thanks to a relatively old world (500 years) and an additional maxage race that can worship death gods it took forever to find an embark that wasnt at war with a tower, and the one I chose turned out to be skirmishing with a nearby tower anyways so so much for that lol. I popcapped myself to 25 but will probably raise that soon just to get some fodder to raze these goddamned necromancers. At least, as soon as the elves bring me something giant and wartrainable. The constant rain (and dwarven aversion to taking out their trash) has a lot of my fortress on edge, and my monster slayers are very, very bad at their jobs and spend as little time as possible in the caverns, which is odd considering that's where their rooms are. My crossbowmen also seem unable to stay sane (or alive) very long at all, which is annoying given that every single caravan has been accompanied by a swarm of kea (or kea men, no giant kea yet but they're coming, I can feel it). They've stolen every good book and scuttled one wagon so far (I hate that bug why do wagons die of fright from parrots) and at this point I've resigned myself to massproducing iron disks as "offerings" to them (and as actual offerings to keep the traders from declaring war on me because all their stuff gets stolen).
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 3705 3706 [3707] 3708 3709 ... 3836