Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3711 3712 [3713] 3714 3715 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788521 times)

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55680 on: December 14, 2020, 05:25:23 am »

neat, i didnt know there was a person who made a demon ranch yet  :D  ive only had demons attack me from the edge of the map once during a goblin siege, they where riding demonic gilla monsters, i tried dwarven diplomacy but they where content spawncamping my dwarves at the river. this was a while ago however. demons are kind of hard to do science on with the fun contemination risk.  :P

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55681 on: December 16, 2020, 08:54:07 am »

Nearing completion on an 8-rail 100+ Z-level round trip minecart setup to allow for megaproject-related industrial capacity.  My map is deep, which is good, I like it that way.  Topside stockpiles and workshops are level Z+91 or somesuch, and the magma forges are at Z-17.  So, Topside is primary workshop and economic zones, a place I call "Central" is the main megaproject operations center (Z+60 or so?  Not exactly sure offhand), and the V Forges are handling glassmaking duties on the necessary ~40,000+ green glass serrated discs.  I've got repeating cart runs taking loads of sand bags from Topside to V Forge level, and another repeating run taking the empty bags back up top for refilling.  Finally, a repeating run taking the finished discs from V Forges to Central.

This is the first time I've ever gotten minecarts working correctly, so I'm pretty stoked about it.  All tracks are built in purpose-dug tunnels completely outside the main fort areas, so risks of dwarven injury are as close to nonexistent as possible.  All power is provided by impulse ramps, and the long transit portions of the journey are taken at or near terminal velocity, with controlled-derail brakes at the end of each line, before a switchable set of quantum stockpile bays to help keep the products organized.

Fort is 9 and a half years old, and completion of the mine transport system will finally allow us to begin megaproject-related industry at full capacity.

For the glory of Armok.

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55682 on: December 17, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »

Just started a fort in a Savage grassland around a river. One of the first things I see when peaking through Units/Other are Giant Alligators and Giant Snapping Turtles. I started carving out the fort and placing workshops when I noticed a combat report; Woodcutter got mauled by a gator, survived, and was rendered bedridden for most of the year. And too long after, a Giant Snapping Turtle somehow snuck into the fort and killed the carpenter, before escaping.

Best/worst part is it got a name for killing that dwarf, and I haven't seen any other gators or snapping turtles since.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55683 on: December 17, 2020, 04:44:47 pm »

Somewhere in the wilds, a snapping turtle is menacing all known civilisation. Seek this place if you wish to conquer nature and make a name for yourself.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55684 on: December 18, 2020, 09:11:25 pm »

Year 17 in Torchlaud and maybe I just haven't seen this before and many of you probably have, I guess.  A stressed dwarf convicted of 4 counts of disorderly conduct is beaten as usual and a chain is assigned to her.  But then a guard and another dwarf take turns pulling her back and forth between the prison and the hospital.  After this went on for some time, I was relieved to see the guard give up.  She's now resting in a bed.

Meanwhile, the dorfs have expanded the mountainside castle with 5 more towers, completely enclosing the volcanic crater in an outer bailey.  They are now making some luxury bedrooms & dining rooms for the 9 regular militia captains in the various towers. 

It's been a peaceful couple of years and many enemy corpses have been cleaned up, but still many to go in areas further away from the walls.  Sent a squad of 6 malcontents to the goblins and they haven't returned for over a year.

173 dorfs including 8 kids:
2 very unhappy
7 unhappy
152 fine
1 quite content
5 happy
6 ecstatic

223 animals:
36 black bears
45 cats
57 dogs
1 elephant
1 grizzly bear, lion, leopard
18 llamas
17 yaks
and misc.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55685 on: December 21, 2020, 09:09:01 pm »

And if my cave adapted dorfs barfing all over everything wasn't bad enough, THIS shows up:

The Forgotten Beast Rithesa Sofipucethutha Rafoviisa has come!  A great quadruped composed of vomit.  It has a pair of squat antennae and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous vapors!

Probably squirmed its way into the first cavern hoping to make its way into my fort to feels at home with all the puke all over.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:28:07 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55686 on: December 22, 2020, 03:54:34 am »

And if my cave adapted dorfs barfing all over everything wasn't bad enough, THIS shows up:

The Forgotten Beast Rithesa Sofipucethutha Rafoviisa has come!  A great quadruped composed of vomit.  It has a pair of squat antennae and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous vapors!

Probably squirmed its way into the first cavern hoping to make its way into my fort to feels at home with all the puke all over.

Toady apparently invented portable vomitoriums years ago, who would have guessed.

I don't get much exotic FB's myself, it's either water, steam or flesh, but maybe it's for the better.

I returned to the last haven of frog people recently, we have something around 200 citizens and 300 livestock, so the fps dropped quite a lot, but we're still managing to have some fun. I've finally created cavern portion of the fort, with rooms and workshops for laborers down under.

My current project is a blue castle next to the town, built exclusively from microcline/cobaltite, as we have giant layers of those in the mines. We have completed the walls and four towers, on one z-level. Everything is just fine, but FB's still scare me. We already encountered a web-spewing one, and though it was a flimsy blob it can do a lot of damage. If a beast of flesh and bones came spitting webs, it could possibly lay waste to everything...

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55687 on: December 22, 2020, 09:05:17 am »

I was looking at my planning sketch to get the details for my next phase of digging, and I decided to move the (eventual) beehive access ramp to the other side of the main path. Good thing, too, because when I got back to the game I saw that I had forgotten to leave a necessary gap in the wall's foundation on the original side. I mean, it could have been fixed with some construction removal, but it's so much nicer to enjoy the serendipity and leave the newly plotted passage clear in the first place.

The little things have been working out nicely like that. Agonizingly slow at times since it's early and my seven (or six if you prefer, Ónul is very much the "supervising" type of leader, noble material for sure) are making larger spaces than currently needed, but all the details are falling into place this run. It should be a good home, in time.

Update:
And here's the first migrant wave, should be nice to have more hands . . . including a level 6 Armorer with perfectionism, practicality, and a preference for breastplates. I think I got an early Christmas present. :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:08:55 pm by mightymushroom »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55688 on: December 24, 2020, 04:39:53 pm »

A dwarf just created an artifact iron war hammer: Nabasgar, "The Divine Destroyer".  Definitely one of the better artifact names I've seen.  It is decorated with alpaca bone and encircled with bands of iron, round brilliant cut clear garnets and rectangular cinnabar cabochons.  This object menaces with spikes of llama wool.  On the item is an image of a cubic cube in native gold. 

I'm not sure what a cubic cube is.  I'm thinking it's either the dwarven version of a Rubik's cube, or maybe some sort of 5-dimensional cube.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55689 on: December 26, 2020, 09:23:31 pm »

Thobkubuk (Girderlance)
Founded year 150 (new map, first fort!)

--

Year one, little happens, discovery of 50+ deep gold veins. No caves, only underground lake. (Not kidding about the gold veins, this place is loaded!)

--

Year two, 152
-Seal in grassy area above for farming.
-Dwarf goes nutty, makes pig iron earing. Worthless.
-Dwarf #2 goes nutty, makes gem encrusted grate. Worthless.

-Crundles attack water front area, six dwarves drown trying to attack crundles as they cling to walls above lake, dwarves dive in and drown. Crundles eventually get inside after dwarves forbidden from going near lake, battle begins across various Z levels, some dwarves wounded.

-Forgotten beast attacks, is made of salt and disolves instantly in underground lake.

-Mumaronum, a human werepangolin attacks, slays Urvad Idenuthmik as he is illegally foraging.

-While dwarf Urvad is being torn to pieces slowly, a miner, one Erush Imazzuntir goes berserk and slays a total of twelve dwarves before being put down by a dwarf whos name is yet unknown or may have died in the act. Among the casualties is a dwarf baby and mother. It was a particularly bloody affair, several hands, feet and arms were lost in the battle and blood now paints the stairs and hallways across a few Z levels leading to the kitchens. Dwarves are now busy hauling the 9+ wounded (many missing parts) to the hospital for emergency surgery.

Year 152 is a promising year so far! Lots of excitement!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55690 on: December 27, 2020, 02:53:27 pm »

Ah, always love a good gold haul. It is nearly impossible to resist the urge to start making large gold hoards once a native vein of prodigious size has been uncovered

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55691 on: December 27, 2020, 03:08:27 pm »

Oh the hoard is being made alright! Got my dwarves importing more gold and statues are being mass produced but only master crafted will not be melted down for further attempts and then! Onward to gold everything!

In other news!
Found the most unlucky dwarf that survived the miner rampage and here she is...
Dobar Kakalath (Namedbolt)
She is missing the following:
-Both feet
-ALL her upper teeth, but not the LOWER teeth... Think on that one.
-Her right arm is damaged to where she is warped.
-Her neck is messed up.

In short she is a crooked neck hunchback that wobbles around on stumps or drags herself with one arm, has only her lower set of teeth left and her lover whom she has had 1 child with is the outpost liaison... I can only imagine what her lover is going to think when he comes to see her and is greeted by a peg legged, near toothless hunchback. "Give us a kiss luv!" To make matters worse a carpenter just lost his mind and he wholloped her in passing so now she in back in the hospital. Carpenter still on the loose, being hunted.

Update: situation spiraled a bit, two puppies, miner, two blacksmiths and about 3 other random dwarves got into the mess and while no one has died yet many were wounded as the brawl exploded across a few Z levels. Captain of the guard announced, a miner and mason, their heavy, powerful fist is needed to restore order one deadly blow at a time. All previous crimes blamed on a passing raven. About 20 dwarves are not standing in shock and horror at the fact a bird was convicted of a rather lengthy list of crimes. One puppy was stomped to death during this, one of its hind legs was ripped free and thrown across the tavern floor. Dwarves continued to sing and dance despite this gristly scene as they attempted to forget their harrowing experiences.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:15:49 pm by vekar »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55692 on: December 27, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »

I still can't believe the game doesn't support making gold teeth for all your dwarves' chomping needs. Adamantine teeth would be even more fantastic. Shame about the puppy, though I bet you could imagine the Dwarves are singing and dancing to avoid the rather nasty elepheant in the room - which wouldn't be impossible if you had enough drinking to go around. No Dwarven party is complete without a tantrum or two

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55693 on: December 27, 2020, 03:57:36 pm »

Further update to sitatuion from Overlord 1 spycam:
Situation completely out of control, fortress is in state of total riot and the tavern has exploded in violence! Cats, dogs, rats, 1 giant cheetah, dwarves and a king consort along with his two bodyguards joined the fray! There is blood everywhere, the walls are red, floors red and I see... Yes that is a severed arm flying across the tavern. A cat is now protecting its adopted friend by scratching the face off of one "Tholtig Keskalecem" as he tries to escape the scene of total carnage! The cat is latched onto his head and is just... Yes, a part just came off! Dear Armok the cat tore his pants off and is going for the gibbles! But what is this? A brave surviving human is trying to tell a story to calm the situation down but it is having no effect! A militia captain has just a random dwarf full of bolts but the dwarf has managed to make it to the door and escape! No! He tripped! Dwarf down! Dwarf down! Giant cheetah still going! Has brought down a human and also slain a dwarf without suffering injury! Oh dear god! The cat did it! Tholtig is down! But wait... Yes, a dwarf has torn the cat off his corpse and ripped a paw off before slaughtering the cat! Two kittens now in pursuit!

Spy cam is now moving up the stairwell as there are reports of more violence... These reports are true! The hammerer and a random militia captain have managed to calm the situation in the crafting halls by slaying several dwarves and the two are now fighting back to back against anyone trying to get in. Smithing hall has only one casualty but the stairwells are clogged with body parts, bodies and the screaming wounded, a smith is hiding in his forge room as I speak and continues to make gold statues while a pump operator stares at what is left of a farmer who has lost both feet and hands! And his head is off!

We are now receiving dwarf11 calls, Kib is wounded badly in the ore storage room, she is bleeding out as I speak, her blood soaks the floor trailing from where she managed to get to safety, but will she survive?

Yes folks, I do believe we have a civil war happening!

Three dwarves including a doctor are struggling to help each other to the hospital, one is missing a foot. We are now inside the hospital and inspecting the carnage... Beds are full! The wounded are being dumped on the floor. Kivish, one of the blacksmiths has just stumbled in missing her left arm but appears mostly unphased by it. Bimbul on the other hand has been left to scream in agony on a table due to a lack of medical doctors to tend to him and his severed toe and loss of teeth. I see a fisherdwarf who just moved in not three days ago has brought the mayor in, missing all of his teeth and screaming. It would also appear the bookmaker who the human swordsman tried to slay in the tavern has survived! He has just stumbled into the hospital, cut horribly, but alive! How he survived we will never know! The blacksmith Kivish is now sporting two kills to her belt despite losing an arm!

Yes? Yes... The reports of dead dwarves continue to flood in, we have passed the ten point and more continue to be reported... Yes? Another one died in the hospital. What? Fresh news! The fighting in the tavern has resumed! A militia captain just shot a glass maker! Total pandemonium has once more swept the bloody tavern! The captain has stopped firing and collapsed... But a recruit has taken up a steel crossbow and continues to fire! Two crafters are running back and forth along the far tavern wall like shooting ducks as the dwarf fires but... Yes! He has stuck one dwarf in the stomach! Oh! Wait! The dwarf is down! The sharpshooter has passed out from blood loss and died! Another dwarf has started shooting in the hallway leading to the tavern, dwarves are now fighting to get back into the deadly battle arena. And they have taken down the sharpshooter! His blood bathes the eastern wall! The dwarf with a bolt in his gut stumbled away puking over everyone he passes as he staggers to safety.

I have just been handed a report... Seventeen more dwarves have died as the fighting continues! I have also just been informed that the order of 50 coffins was completed on time, they will be sorely needed! As I report this another sheet of casualties has come in... Yes, it would appear another ten dwarves have died but the fighting has begun to subside save for one surviving canine, a puppy, that continues to attack everyone in the southern stairwell as they try and reach the hospital. A neutralization order has been issued for the puppy. In other news, the hammerer and the captain who valiantly kept peace in the craft hall both safely made it to the hospital where they are now resting on the floor for a lack of bed space, more beds were ordered I am told but the puppy attacks everyone who tries to bring in additional beds.

At this moment, there are a few sporadic fights taking place and one dwarf has thrown a tantrum but things have settled down, stay tuned for further updates should the situation spiral out of control once more!

Update: Dwarven militia reduced 65% in KIA alone.

Update: Mosus Mishthemonol is the last dwarf to die as peace resumes but did not die of combat, the dwarf committed suicide in the corpisarium where the grave diggers were busy stuffing coffins. However, it is suspected than many more will die of their wounds as they lay in the hospital.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 04:08:48 pm by vekar »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55694 on: December 27, 2020, 04:20:46 pm »

That was incredible.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 ... 3711 3712 [3713] 3714 3715 ... 3835