Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3713 3714 [3715] 3716 3717 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5836959 times)

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55710 on: January 04, 2021, 06:12:52 pm »

I'm getting no migrants (not even with DFHack's migrants-now)  and the merchants are stuck on trees. Time to commit ecocide.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55711 on: January 06, 2021, 10:40:22 am »

I don't recall seeing an artifact backpack before... The military commander immediately stuffed some cuddlefish biscuits into it and wore it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55712 on: January 07, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »

A large rat drank some of my dorfs beer. He got taught a lesson by my militia dressed in gambesons, along with assists by passing dorfs. He was later butchered on the spot and turned into a lavish meal. Justice was served that day.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55713 on: January 07, 2021, 07:22:38 pm »

Mid-year 19 in the volcano-fortress of Torchlaud and there's a siege of 72 goblins, 15 beak dogs, 24 trolls, and a human pikeman.

Black bears are slaughtered left and right outside the walls as they run like over-stuffed teddy bears in fear, or stand dumbfounded while goblins approach.

Lesson learned early on: The fort is much too complicated for it's own safety.

As the overseer struggles to remember/find/close all the entrances while watching for enemies as they approach (and dwarf stragglers who might not be inside the walls yet) on 50 z-levels of mountainside, he finally thinks everything is secure. Gates (bridges) closed, doors locked.

Wrong. As trolls are working on breaking down 3 doors and the overseer stations squads to defend the doors, he begins to wish for the security of bridges... but no, the plan for this fort is not to take full advantage of that security.

One door is opened and the squad kills the first troll with the door intact.
A second door is likewise dealt with and 2 more trolls killed.

Many goblins come in through the magma trap trapdoors... fine, that's great!  Oooops, that's NOT great because overseer forgot to lock the doors on the cute little new passageway that allowed quick access to cleaning up the bodies aboveground from a previous siege. It let the goblins into the fort and they killed Momuz (crossbow dwarf on the way to station in a tower).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In all this excitement, another (neglected) door is broken down and a bunch of trolls enter. Two squads are dispatched and a nasty battle ensues, in which a sworddwarf perishes.

More squads arrive and avenge Geshud, driving all invaders before them and rushing out the broken door to chase them down. One brave civilian, was killed in the crush.

Meanwhile, the goblin incursion through the little passageway was crushed by the first 4 axe dwarfs to arrive.

At this point, the overseer was pleased to see his first ballista in action. Unfortunately, the operators are all unskilled and it was a wild miss. Fortunately, the siege has been broken at this point and it's all over but the vomiting, retching, and cleanup.

(edit:  Poor old Toothless the dog has been found dead in a doorway... the dog that mauled a convicted human to death by chewing on his head, loosing teeth in the process.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:42:34 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55714 on: January 09, 2021, 08:15:15 pm »

After the siege, I was fiddling around checking if all the artifacts were in their proper places. Found my artifact copper crossbow in the hands of a goblin poet that's been chained up so long I forgot the reason why... probably for stealing it.

Litase, grand-mistress speardwarfess with -4k stress happened to be just outside the cell door, so I gave her the kill order.  She ran across the hall into an empty cell, then ran back and as her first strike, latched her teeth onto the goblin poet's abdomen. Then stabs him in the legs & hands with her steel spear several times, ending it with the usual spear to the head.  The next thing she did was admire the exquisite dacite cell door.

But the strangest part of all this was that a nearby black bear joined in and inflicted more bites & scratches on the goblin than Litase did.  This after the apparent worthlessness of the 50 other black bears in ANY type of combat over the last year.  Who knows?  Maybe the bear liked the shiny agates encrusted on the goblin's steel cap.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55715 on: January 09, 2021, 08:51:54 pm »

My Pole/Spearmster Domas Guildbattle is storing meat in his cabinet. Often times it just rots away. He also takes random food from the stockpile and puts in his room (task says Store Owned Item), only for it to put back in the stockpile.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55716 on: January 09, 2021, 09:12:44 pm »

Has Domas Guildbattle been thinking "I ended the pathetic life of so-and-so, who was nothing but dog meat!" ?

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55717 on: January 09, 2021, 09:55:14 pm »

He hasn't killed anything yet when I took the screencap. He's been on a couple of raids and has killed three dwarves with his poleaxe, The Moist Humor. Dwarves have weird naming conventions.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55718 on: January 10, 2021, 10:15:18 am »

An eleven diplomat arrived at my fort. He told me to stop cutting down trees. Big mistake. He got cut down instead.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55719 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:40 pm »

"Who called for some guardians?"

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55720 on: January 10, 2021, 05:15:57 pm »

Those two need some serious calm down time.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55721 on: January 10, 2021, 05:58:08 pm »

Any idea what prompted the fight?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55722 on: January 10, 2021, 05:58:57 pm »

"I assure you, I am calm. Look to yourself!"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55723 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:47 am »

My Pole/Spearmster Domas Guildbattle is storing meat in his cabinet. Often times it just rots away. He also takes random food from the stockpile and puts in his room (task says Store Owned Item), only for it to put back in the stockpile.

That probably is food assigned to him for the military. When putting on his military uniform, he will grab a backpack and put food in it, then when going off-duty, will drop the backpack and then the food will be sitting there, owned by him. On the 'm'ilitary screen,'u' for supplies... you can set foods to none to stop this problem, but not sure what happens if the dwarf needs to travel far while raiding.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55724 on: January 11, 2021, 02:53:53 pm »

Putting my plans for my first megaproject, the ORB, on paper. Finding out that the forgotten beast that made me seal the cavern for a year due to its deadly dust had no syndrome whatsoever, and minced it with my swordmasters.
Pages: 1 ... 3713 3714 [3715] 3716 3717 ... 3836