Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3717 3718 [3719] 3720 3721 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787667 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55770 on: January 31, 2021, 03:15:07 pm »

As an Update, We have killed all living Goblins and the Siege hasn't lifted.  It would seem he is attempting to besiege the Fortress by himself, which would work better if he wasn't both intangible and invisible.
rofl :D

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55771 on: February 02, 2021, 02:01:33 pm »

Someone made an artifact rope reed dress. It's banded with lead and called "Pantgrieved the Squeezing Scandal". That's probably the best one we had yet!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55772 on: February 04, 2021, 04:34:45 am »

A migrant withdrew from society, claimed a craft workshop, and began collecting materials. He started with a stack of gigantic panda bones that I did not want him to use, so I forbade them. He gathered two rough gems and began crafting without seeking the other bones sitting in the butcher's shop, and produced an iron mask decorated with the two gems. There were no iron bars in the fort or in the workshop while he was working.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55773 on: February 04, 2021, 03:02:11 pm »

A migrant withdrew from society, claimed a craft workshop, and began collecting materials. He started with a stack of gigantic panda bones that I did not want him to use, so I forbade them. He gathered two rough gems and began crafting without seeking the other bones sitting in the butcher's shop, and produced an iron mask decorated with the two gems. There were no iron bars in the fort or in the workshop while he was working.
If you forbid the starting material of a mood it defaults to the first material defined in the raws, iron.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55774 on: February 05, 2021, 03:01:34 am »

An ambush!  Curse all friends of nature!

I decided to start a new fort to check out some of the stress fixes and such.  I figured I'd want a fairly open fort with plenty of invaders and lots of activity on the surface to expose people to corpses and weather and decided to run my hulking, tentacled ylth this time.  So far, the elves are the only opposition to show up, but they brought quite a few war tigers and some other critters along on their second visit - 80-something invaders, all together, to meet the 43 residents of Lashscrapes.

They turned up on the side of town where the hammer training squad, Crypt Watch, was training.  The squad has two capable fighters and a new addition who hadn't gotten into the sparring yet.  Naturally, when war tigers and elves started popping out of the bushes, they immediately charged.  With Zodsto Drill, the new trainee, running ahead of the others into the middle of the invaders and the ambush message going off repeatedly, I sent the rest of the militia up to join the fighting.  Zodsto got rather chewed up and there were a few other injuries, but nothing serious.  The attackers lost about 60, so that gives a good start on getting my people used to corpses lying around.  The most obnoxious part of the fight was chasing down the elves that were riding horses after most of the other were dead or fled.  One of 'em got to the other side of town and kept launching arrows at my ostriches while running away from everyone with a weapon.

It is definitely nice to see people enjoying well cooked meals without needing their hard to get or dangerous favorites!  The site seems to be well supplied with ore, but no sign of coal so far.  There's a giant flamingo with a trunk running around in the first cavern layer setting everything on fire - including itself, from the looks of it.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55775 on: February 05, 2021, 10:24:15 am »

So far so good in Bravecrafts. Nobody's freaked out about the deaths of various invaders, though I dunno if the loss of three dwarves  is causing much issues. Had to resort to a bridge hall to pulp a necromancer attack (all elven zombies who were way too well-armed for my 6 man militia to fight,) followed by facing a goblin attack head on since it consisted of nothing but bowmen and handgunners.

Ended up having to nerf the shit out of handgun ammo, since slapping people with grapeshot was able to instantly shred someone's heart (something I only discovered thanks to the eccentricities of the blowgun skill.)

Following these two sieges, a dwarf went secretive and produced a coffin, which I intend to make the centerpeice of my temple to the god of death. Given the fact that my fortress is surrounded by grasslands and savanna, it's name gives an impression of someone who sees the open plains as a source of death as its name translates to "Sadnesslurks, The Prairies of Attacking." Why you may ask?

Because a possessed child was killed during the necromancer siege (they insisted on using the one workshop outside for thier mood and had to be left for dead,) while the militia suffered 33% losses against the goblins - one guy getting shot in the neck and the other being the cause for nerfing meleeing with grapeshot. No plague of red arrows yet though, so I figure things are working fine for the moment.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55776 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:30 am »

Because a possessed child was killed during the necromancer siege (they insisted on using the one workshop outside for thier mood and had to be left for dead,) while the militia suffered 33% losses against the goblins - one guy getting shot in the neck and the other being the cause for nerfing meleeing with grapeshot. No plague of red arrows yet though, so I figure things are working fine for the moment.
"Plague of red arrows" sounds so dramatic for what it is.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55777 on: February 05, 2021, 11:02:32 am »

"Plague of red arrows" sounds so dramatic for what it is.

It is, I'll admit that. But I gotta say it's nice to not see half the fort habitually upset about dead goblins who killed two of thier friends/family.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55778 on: February 05, 2021, 08:24:54 pm »

The first siege has arrived at Lashscrapes - a group of warriors wearing the oval cabochon symbol of the Kingdom of Boards.  They're a human civilization that has quite a bit of territorial friction with my home civ, so the war isn't surprising.  The unexpected part is that none of the invaders are human!  There's a group of zalsars and one ylth, presumably the squad leader.  Only two warrior-caste, but still a rather tougher group than humans would be.  Most of the leaders in the Kingdom of Boards seem to be human.  I'm not sure why their military isn't.

Most of their equipment is trash, though, so I don't expect them to be a major problem until they come back with a full army.  Crypt Watch is in position to intercept, with my two combat-trained founders in support.

Edit: Highlights as I spot them
-One sling slug failing to hit three of my people in a row.
-My chief medic taking down the ylth invader with surgical precision: slicing off one leg, severing the nerve on another, and then shoving a dagger through the third heart in rapid succession.
-Ozud Figure, Hammer Lord, hitting an enemy in the hand and knocking her arm off.
-Ozud hitting an enemy hard enough to send her flying... and then launching another enemy before she lands.
-Chief Medic Ana Whip knifing one of those flying enemies in the head in midair - twice.  Both blows were deflected harmlessly by her helmet, but still.
-Militia Commander Okom Brazen smashing the last warrior-caste in half with their bar mace.
-Victory without a single injury!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:30:19 pm by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55779 on: February 05, 2021, 10:42:40 pm »

Barroom brawl, couple of injuries, one fatality. Not so bad. Second brawl of the fortress and no widespread escalation experienced yet. So far so good. Participants and observers are mostly shrugging it off which is good.

Taking a look through the background of the dead guy (kicked in the throat by the tavern keeper/chief medical dwarf), reveals that two of his childhood friends are dark elves (own mods). Checking into their background to see if it was a catalyst (we are under siege by a couple of dark elves right now) I find that Legends Mode does not have an entry for one of them.

Is this common? Or did Toady add imaginary friends in the last release?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55780 on: February 06, 2021, 01:08:00 am »

Likely a fake name. Your dwarf has been fooled into a "friendship" with an enemy spy.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55781 on: February 06, 2021, 03:38:10 am »

Likely a fake name. Your dwarf has been fooled into a "friendship" with an enemy spy.
That's not how Legends Mode works.

Legends Viewer managed to extract the histfig and I found her parents there. In Legends Mode the missing person is listed as daughter in both parents entry. There just isn't an entry for the person herself. (Likely Legends Viewer just made one up based on those relationships, there's no other events for that person recorded).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:42:11 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55782 on: February 06, 2021, 05:31:56 am »

Oh. I was assuming you were searching her by the name from the dwarf's relations list. Does she show up in their relationships on the Legends Viewer page?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55783 on: February 06, 2021, 06:28:24 am »

Oh. I was assuming you were searching her by the name from the dwarf's relations list. Does she show up in their relationships on the Legends Viewer page?
Yes, and from there I can open up a page for her in Legends Viewer. The only events in her life are being born to her to parents and becoming childhood friends with my dead dorf.

Never had a histfig completely missing in Legends Mode before. Will post a bug report I guess as there may be deeper implications.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55784 on: February 06, 2021, 08:29:57 am »

They're taking over!
Pages: 1 ... 3717 3718 [3719] 3720 3721 ... 3835