Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3718 3719 [3720] 3721 3722 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860437 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55785 on: February 06, 2021, 05:36:29 pm »

This mutant dinosaur just wandered onto my map:

So basically I've got a cross between raptors or some other feathered dino and Jurassic Park's made up Dilophosaurus.  Big.  And with horns.  This should be fun.  Or will it be !!FUN!!?

Well, the dino went after a dwarf who was constructing a road.  I called everyone inside with a civilian alert and called up my units.  The dwarf that was outside however was one of my hammerdwarves.

And she went nuts.

The dino missed it initial attacks on her, and she savagely attacked it, pounding on it with her hammer, biting, kicking and scratching it too.  But eventually the titan got in a few serious wounds that ended the hammerdwarf, goring her in the neck, biting off a foot, both arms, and then crushing her head into pulp.  It then proceeded into my fort and just died right inside.  I'm not sure what happened, I think it just collapsed from the beating.

Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:19:20 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55786 on: February 06, 2021, 11:23:33 pm »

So basically I've got a cross between raptors or some other feathered dino and Jurassic Park's made up Dilophosaurus.  Big.  And with horns.  This should be fun.  Or will it be !!FUN!!?

Well, the dino went after a dwarf who was constructing a road.  I called everyone inside with a civilian alert and called up my units.  The dwarf that was outside however was one of my hammerdwarves.

And she went nuts.

The dino missed it initial attacks on her, and she savagely attacked it, pounding on it with her hammer, biting, kicking and scratching it too.  But eventually the titan got in a few serious wounds that ended the hammerdwarf, goring her in the neck, biting off a foot, both arms, and then crushing her head into pulp.  It then proceeded into my fort and just died right inside.  I'm not sure what happened, I think it just collapsed from the beating.

That was an epic fight.  I can't help but think if that dwarf were using an axe instead of a hammer if the fight would have went the other way.  With sooo many hammer blows just chipping, fracturing and bruising the bones, but never severing any limbs, the dinosaur was free to eventually counterattack.  It also looked like the first successful counter attack was right as the hammerdwarf became sick from cave adaptation.  I usually just use war hammers and maces for all squads to minimize the reanimation of severed limbs, but after reading this combat log, I'm going to also have at least a few with edged weapons. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55787 on: February 06, 2021, 11:58:46 pm »

And she went nuts.

That was an epic fight.  I can't help but think if that dwarf were using an axe instead of a hammer if the fight would have went the other way.  With sooo many hammer blows just chipping, fracturing and bruising the bones, but never severing any limbs, the dinosaur was free to eventually counterattack.  It also looked like the first successful counter attack was right as the hammerdwarf became sick from cave adaptation.  I usually just use war hammers and maces for all squads to minimize the reanimation of severed limbs, but after reading this combat log, I'm going to also have at least a few with edged weapons.

Personally I use maces and hammers to minimize the mess to clean up. Of course then they start insisting on bashing the teeth out of every enemy's head instead of cutting thier individual appendages off.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55788 on: February 07, 2021, 01:37:04 pm »

Well she was outside building a road when that thing showed up, and it went right for her.  Axedwarves might have chopped up some body parts if they were outside at the time.  Anyway, according to Legends Viewer the titan died of suffocation and Onul was credited with the kill, so all that hammering took its toll.

And our food stocks now have 455 pieces of titan meat for our dorfs to feast on.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:38:39 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55789 on: February 07, 2021, 03:15:34 pm »

A greater giant (from my SVE mod) arrived to cause trouble. Turns out, they had an artifact glacium short sword and an artifact tungsten warhammer. The son of a bitch had killed at least 24 people with that blade, though curiously this doesn't include the former owner of the warhammer (which had been used to destroy a rampaging treant and a semi-megabeast monstrous beetle.) Either way, huge win for the fortress both n terms of killing a great power and acquiring valuable and useful items.

EDIT: A weresloth showed up and killed my head planter and a carpenter who was helping with the slime mold harvest. Militia is gathering, but they aren't equipped to deal with this so I'm gonna have to hope they just go away.

EDIT II: Scratch that, when she transformed back into a dwarf, the new guy managed to run her down and beat her to death with a mace.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55790 on: February 09, 2021, 06:49:39 am »

A great terror arrived at the fort and the dwarfs hid in their tower.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It slew many creatures outside the tower, including many dwarfs who planned for a new life here.
It was loud and boastful.
Dwarfs in the tower were horrified as newly-arrived family members rotted in the fields
The cyclops became a terrifying beast some times.
Finally, the well-armed caravan from the homeland slew the creature with spear and mace.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55791 on: February 09, 2021, 10:40:58 am »

I'm trying to remember how to play the dang game by playing the last version I really understood. Which I think... might be 31_25

verbose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55792 on: February 10, 2021, 11:56:21 am »

This is my first post on the bay 12 forums. So I'd just like to say hello here, since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated place for introductions.

My first fort has been doing quite well, but it's gotten to the point where a goblin siege is too great in numbers for my squads to take care of them, which is mostly a range issue. The goblins are ranged and my dwarves are not, so the goblins have time to shoot a slew of arrows/bolts at my military before they can get into combat which leaves me down a dwarf or too. This siege I'm just boarding up and waiting for them to pass.

I have contructed a library, and it brings me great joy to see my dwarves happily reading. I've been buying every book I can get from the caravans for a few years, so I have quite the collection. I hope I don't get any necromancers! It's worth the risk though, they seem happy. I know I would be...

I've contructed 4 new temples to specific deities which have the most worshippers as well.

On my todo list is to wait out this goblin siege, smooth a ton of floors, and make better rooms for my nobles.

Here is where the floors need to be smoothed:

Here are where my nobles will live. In the middle are the old noble rooms, on the outside will be the new ones.

Hope my first fort looks not so nooby!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55793 on: February 10, 2021, 12:22:51 pm »

This is my first post on the bay 12 forums. So I'd just like to say hello here, since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated place for introductions.

My first fort has been doing quite well, but it's gotten to the point where a goblin siege is too great in numbers for my squads to take care of them, which is mostly a range issue. The goblins are ranged and my dwarves are not, so the goblins have time to shoot a slew of arrows/bolts at my military before they can get into combat which leaves me down a dwarf or too. This siege I'm just boarding up and waiting for them to pass.

I have contructed a library, and it brings me great joy to see my dwarves happily reading. I've been buying every book I can get from the caravans for a few years, so I have quite the collection. I hope I don't get any necromancers! It's worth the risk though, they seem happy. I know I would be...

I've contructed 4 new temples to specific deities which have the most worshippers as well.

On my todo list is to wait out this goblin siege, smooth a ton of floors, and make better rooms for my nobles.

Here is where the floors need to be smoothed:

Here are where my nobles will live. In the middle are the old noble rooms, on the outside will be the new ones.

Looks fine to me. Fancy and symmetrical at once. Welcome to hell, this game will consume you given the chance.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55794 on: February 10, 2021, 05:27:42 pm »

I like it... I'm a fan of big circular spaces, and yours is pretty nice.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55795 on: February 10, 2021, 10:43:21 pm »

My first migrant wave consisted of 8 herbalists and 1 legendary wax worker.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55796 on: February 11, 2021, 12:53:54 am »

Beautiful fort verbose!

verbose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55797 on: February 11, 2021, 01:17:51 pm »

Looks fine to me. Fancy and symmetrical at once. Welcome to hell, this game will consume you given the chance.

Thank you, I'm ready for the fun that awaits me.

I like it... I'm a fan of big circular spaces, and yours is pretty nice.

Thank you, I'm happy to be learning more elegant architecture in dwarf fortress every day. I really love the efficiency of squares, but when it comes to halls that are meant for enjoyment I try to keep things round. Definitely is more pleasing to the eye.

Beautiful fort verbose!

Thank you delphonso!

Since yesterday I have began contruction of the fort's bedrooms. I'm working to improve the mood of my dwarves as much as possible, and I notice just about every dwarf has a negative effect on their mood such as being embarrased by sleeping in public. So hopefully these bedrooms will improve mood. That being said, currently I only have 3 unhappy dwarves, which I think is good for my first fort.

Here is the bedrooms, currently only fitted with doors.

There's 64 of rooms on this floor. I'm expecting to have to make a second floor identical to this one later. I'm very lucky to have such a nice design for the bedrooms coincidentally work perfectly with the 5 staircase's placements I made before planning a room this large.

Until next time!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55798 on: February 11, 2021, 06:16:44 pm »

It's a very nice design, verbose!

I definitely remember how to play this game

Definitely!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55799 on: February 11, 2021, 09:05:42 pm »

Found myself a nice patch of land at the bend of a stream. Immediately on arrival, saw two alligators within four tiles of the wagon. Thought to myself, "This isn't going to go well."

It didn't, unless you are cheering for the alligators.
Pages: 1 ... 3718 3719 [3720] 3721 3722 ... 3836