Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3719 3720 [3721] 3722 3723 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861097 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55800 on: February 12, 2021, 01:15:06 am »

That's looking lovely, verbose!

Lashscrapes has now had violent contact from three civilizations.  The elves from the Symmetric Hurricane are not officially at war, but keep sending ambushes.  The goblins of the Terror of Catching have declared hostilities and dropped by with a small and ill-fated siege.  And the human Kingdom of Boards has made several attempts.  After the first team of zalsars, they've been relying on human soldiers for the bulk of their force, but they've escalated to full armies.  They lost almost 70 people in their last attack - might as well have been trying to invade with scarecrows.  Most of them barely even had time to swing before going down, and I don't think any of the six fighters in Crypt Watch and the Large Ropes took so much as a bruise while going through them.  To present a serious problem, the Kingdom of Boards would probably need something like a squad of trained war dragons.

Which they had.

The common kendrik dragon, not as large as a megabeast, and lacking fire breath because forest fires are a horrible nuisance, but with the same metal bones and scales as my other dragons in this mod and high enough natural combat skills that even ylth champions with legendary shield skill couldn't reliably fend them off.  They didn't arrive until most of the soldiers were dead and my squads were near the edge of the map, so the dragons turned up almost on top of my fighters.  More than half of them ended up in the hospital by the end, and it might have been very messy if Tospas Wild, the newest champion of Lashscrapes, hadn't so thoroughly earned the title of Dragon Bane - killing 8 of the 12 dragons that went down in the attack.  The massive sledgehammers used by Crypt Watch are quite efficient against targets like humans, elves, and tigers, but proved largely ineffective at dealing with kendrik dragons.  Chief medic Ana Whip's knives were only slightly better.  Tospas Wild relies on an unmatched pair of sabres in battle, with blades sturdy enough and long enough to drive through a dragon's skull and pierce the brain.  I'll need to keep this in mind when I set up a heavy infantry squad for Tospas to lead, since I doubt the Kingdom of Boards is out of dragons.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55801 on: February 12, 2021, 07:28:06 am »

Found myself a nice patch of land at the bend of a stream. Immediately on arrival, saw two alligators within four tiles of the wagon. Thought to myself, "This isn't going to go well."

It didn't, unless you are cheering for the alligators.

Ah, the majestic "river dragon" strikes again.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55802 on: February 12, 2021, 11:09:47 am »

Ah, now this is how a fort should begin.

In this case it wasn't the unicorns, they showed up later to mock the survivors. No, the wagon started next to a trio of alligators.

Still, two dwarfs survived and are content. That's more than enough to keep a fort going.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55803 on: February 12, 2021, 05:09:57 pm »

Ah, now this is how a fort should begin.

In this case it wasn't the unicorns, they showed up later to mock the survivors. No, the wagon started next to a trio of alligators.

Still, two dwarfs survived and are content. That's more than enough to keep a fort going.

Reminds me of the time I lost four of the starting seven two months in to a giant bat that flew up from the cavern, wrestled away a pick from a miner and used it to crack open a few skulls. One of more entertaining starts I've had.

I've finally found the time and inclination to play a serious fort again too. In some rather strange turn of events, I received a rather big migrant wave consisting almost entirely of animal caretakers and herbalists. A bit of poking around in their history reveals that they all originate from various settlements of an elven civilisation. One of them even seems to have adapted elven culture. It seems most of them come from a forest retreat called Worshipbirths whose government has a rather peculiar name: The Incinerated Mother. I don't even know. Also, we are apparently at war with these elves. I suppose these dwarves must have been exiled when the war broke out and decided to come to my fort.

The good news is that my military just doubled in size. The bad news is that I now have to find a spot for a guildhall for the animal caretaker guild.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55804 on: February 12, 2021, 07:04:15 pm »

I think the merchant visitor standing at the bottom of the stagnant pond might be sus.

Sent a militia over to check if the "merchant" drowned; nope she's just standing in the pool doing nothing.
Not here at the moment

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55805 on: February 12, 2021, 09:08:08 pm »

Had another elven ambush and then, when I sent a squad out to deal with it, the human siege arrived right behind them.  I would call it a beautifully coordinated coalition attack if the elves and humans hadn't immediately started attacking each other.  Would've been fun to just stand back and let them fight it out if I hadn't already sent in fighters to keep the elves from wandering right in the front gate.  The war dragons turned up when my fighters were right at the edge of the map, arriving right on top of them, but entered the fight 2 or 3 at a time.  They're a lot easier to kill when outnumbered; only one injury this time.  A few of the human camel-riders tried to circle around to the back of the fort, where the unarmed combat training squad took them apart.

Meanwhile, the outer wall is up to three corners and two gates - neither connected to a lever yet; the purpose of the wall it to funnel enemies into predictable areas, not to keep them out.  The excavation for a pump stack down to the magma sea is almost finished; I should be able to start the construction for that project as soon as the last corner of the outer wall is sealed.  I also have an apparently endless supply of logs and horse bones.  However, the stockpile of meat and fish is starting to run low.  Might decide to pause the disassembly of horse skeletons long enough to butcher a few ostriches.

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55806 on: February 15, 2021, 03:10:30 am »

Lost a bunch of civilians to a goblin crossbowman which was weird because I thought I'd killed them all and the siege had ended a while ago. Turns out there was one remaining, clinging to the side of a cliff above my traphall. I think it was the only direction he could go to dodge a weapon trap what with half his squad already in the moat, and he just didn't come down. I think I'm going to keep him there since he's doing a great job of picking off visiting bards.

A little while later the caravan came. I was really psyched to trade my mountain of gold crafts, but they wouldn't unload their goods- and when it came time for them to pack up and leave, I had to deconstruct the trade depot to get them to move. Bright side: they left all their stuff behind.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55807 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:40 pm »

Lost a bunch of civilians to a goblin crossbowman which was weird because I thought I'd killed them all and the siege had ended a while ago. Turns out there was one remaining, clinging to the side of a cliff above my traphall. I think it was the only direction he could go to dodge a weapon trap what with half his squad already in the moat, and he just didn't come down. I think I'm going to keep him there since he's doing a great job of picking off visiting bards.

A little while later the caravan came. I was really psyched to trade my mountain of gold crafts, but they wouldn't unload their goods- and when it came time for them to pack up and leave, I had to deconstruct the trade depot to get them to move. Bright side: they left all their stuff behind.

I'm going to find it absolutely hilarious if floating siege people are still a thing.

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55808 on: February 15, 2021, 04:19:59 pm »

Now a little under a quarter of my dwarves and visitors have suddenly become necromancers, without a slab or any necromancy books residing in my fort, and none hiding in anyones inventory. I can only guess that a visitor had a book, spread the good word, and left without my noticing it.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55809 on: February 17, 2021, 04:27:57 am »

Our tavern is so popular people are coming back from the dead to visit.

BeardedShrimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55810 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:42 pm »

Was trying to figure out why the outpost liason hadn't shown up from Mountainhomes the last caravan and why the Civilizations screen said I had no trade agreements with my civ anymore. Turns out the liason died fighting in another battle in one of my civ's the other forts:

No one holds the position right now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:57:17 pm by BeardedShrimp »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55811 on: February 18, 2021, 02:53:40 am »

The Kingdom of Boards sent several mixed armies of humans and goblins against Lashscrapes, accomplishing nothing against the defending ylth champions.  In the latest siege, they tried something different - they used ylth.  Almost 20 ylth soldiers turned up wearing the Kingdom's oval cabochon symbol and decked out in heavy armor, supported by a similar number of goblins and a few humans and zalsars.  They arrived right behind another sizeable elven ambush-force, making for a busy three-way fight until the elves and most of their beasts got cleared out.  After that it mostly settled down to ylth against ylth, with a goblin fighter or human crossbowman occasionally getting in the way.  The invaders had an edge of better than two to one in numbers, but didn't arrive quickly enough to take full advantage of them.  They also had more extensive armor, including gauntlets somehow shaped to protect an ylth's tentacles.  However, the extensive training of the Lashscrapes champions proved decisive.  Despite their armor, the invaders were no match for the skill and sheer physical power of the local weaponmasters.  Even Loz Rider - the head of the unarmed combat training squad, who wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the battle but happened to wander past and decided to charge in - ripped several enemy ylth apart with their bare tentacles.  Loz is in the hospital after taking on an army with nothing but dodging skill and a ≡blacksteel chain cloak≡ for protection; the armed fighters all made it through without significant injuries.  The Kingdom's ytlh assault force put up a tough fight, but weren't as dangerous as the dragons they brought in some of the earlier sieges.

Meanwhile, I purchased a few kendrik dragons of my own and set them up with ☼gold nest boxes☼ to begin a breeding program.  My cage traps have also captured two lesser wyrms - a potential breeding pair, once I figure out how I want to manage taming them.  The outer wall now surrounds Lashscrapes, directing all intruders to the front or rear gate, and has a five-tile floor along the outside to keep the forest at bay.  The pump stack stretches from the magma sea to the surface.  Construction of obsidian block channels to serve as the foundation for a magma-fueled metal industry is underway, along with a multilevel waterwheel network to power the pumps and any other machinery Lashscrapes might need.  Completing this project is the primary objective whenever invaders aren't interfering.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55812 on: February 18, 2021, 04:37:25 am »

Can always imagine tentacle gauntlets as being mail tubes with some segmented metal on the out-facing side.

Defenses are like, 75% set up now, though I need to finish the upper wall for the outer courtyard. Also finally getting around to individual bedrooms, which are going to be put up in a first-come basis. It'll be good to get people set up with proper housing and the like. Been sleeping in a shared dorm and hospital for a couple years now. The current single militia squad also almost has a barracks. Still needs furniture and a few windows put in though.

Fought off a second goblin attack, this one consisting of 4 handgunners (for some reason this civ really likes its hand-cannons,) two crossbowmen, and a bowman. Went about as well for them as you'd expect seeing as they had absolutely nothing to tarpit the half-equipped militia. Only one guy who was lagging behind (a handgunner who had tungsten ammo and weapons, the rich prick) escaped, and only because one of the crossbowmen hadn't died quite as quickly as the others did.

Also got a swanky incendium shortsword when the weaponsmith mooded (secretive to boot, so big score on that one!) I'll have to find a suitable person to use it, and someone for that artifact tungsten hammer the greater giant dropped too for that matter, seeing as the commander has the glacium one we got as his badge of office now.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55813 on: February 18, 2021, 07:40:18 am »

Winter vacation is over, with only a few brawling injuries plus some dead visitors who fell down the well into the third cavern layer somehow. But now back to work! The workshops are operational and the front doors are flung open.

Out rush my army of hunters, trampling over the visitors who've been locked in and are desperate to go home. Meat's back on the menu boys!

A yeti spearman rushes forward and takes down a couple of dorfs. Forgot he was there. Was ambushed by a tribe of yetis just before we closed the gates last year. All the rest have gone home Will see how long it takes the hunters to knock him out. Maybe send out the trainee militia...

An ambush, curse them!

Another hidden yeti? No, Dark elves. Riding war elephants. With about 100 giant snakes and a horse named Opa in support. Their arrows take out half of the hunters as everyone rushes back inside. Door closed, we'll wait this one out. Then it'll be time to test dwarven resilience to bodies in this version.

(Played with homemade mods)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55814 on: February 19, 2021, 06:41:30 am »

Say, did i miss out on something...?

Screenshot:
Pages: 1 ... 3719 3720 [3721] 3722 3723 ... 3836