Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3720 3721 [3722] 3723 3724 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858428 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55815 on: February 19, 2021, 01:20:34 pm »

Isn't that for building an altar for the temples?
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55816 on: February 19, 2021, 01:37:51 pm »

Seems reasonable, i wonder if anyone has tried that thing yet.
Well, i am certainly gonna, what could go wrong.

BeardedShrimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55817 on: February 19, 2021, 04:34:53 pm »

Say, did i miss out on something...?

Screenshot:

It's the command for building altars crafted at workshops:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Altar
Altars don't do anything now in fortress mode, other than increase the value of Temples.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55818 on: February 20, 2021, 07:26:54 am »

Two threats arrived, one being a regular ol' giant with a beer-omancer's slab and the other a weremoose. Zas the metalcrafter has once again proven exceptionally dangerous, and with his steel spear (a recent upgrade) he killed the giant handily. Given his performance in every encoutner, he's earned the right to a suit of mithril armor and a custom profession of The Great Lancer.

Commander Sibrek also earned his first kill, striking downt he weremoose one on one - kind of. A woodcutter got caught out, but didn't go quietly and crippled the beast, which is likely what let Sibrek kill it by shanking it in the heart. Good thing he landed that hit, cause it was about to lock his arm (and end the fight then and there,) when it succumbed to bloodloss. The artifact sword drinks deeply of a monster instead of an innocent or a would-be hero for once.

An ambush arrived mounted on camels as well. Dunno who it is, only saw the beasts, but the militia, such as it is, has stationed itself and is about to deploy. Half the camels are dead from some perimeter traps (have plenty of copper to install more, gonna have to do that,) but I can only hope whoever it is isn't well equipped.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #55819 on: February 20, 2021, 05:43:46 pm »

Im currently under siege by some goblins who haven't noticed a human bowman standing around in one corner of the map who just killed a mantis man with a single shot
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55820 on: February 21, 2021, 01:29:36 am »

The Terror of Catching sent an army with well over a hundred fighters, most of them goblins, followed by 40 or so trolls and a few assorted beasts.  It was like a tide washing in, but the champions of Lashscrapes have gotten to the point where they're virtually invulnerable against ordinary soldiers, so it was just a matter of chopping and smashing until the remnants took off.  The caravan arrived almost immediately after the siege lifted; sold a few thousand ☼ of invader clothes, some high-value crafts, and a few masterwork weapons to get all the ore, metal, and thread they brought, along with a couple more dragons for my breeding program.  By the time my workers had finished hauling things to the depot, the new forgeworks had finished filling its lava channels.  There's space for eight smelters, each for a particular set of tasks, four forges, and a spot at the end for glass and pottery, plus a generator to provide power keys for the advanced smelter.  Still a bit of work to be done filling in floor and assembling furnaces, but it's nice to have the power conduits properly charged.  I'm planning to work on improving the outer walls while I get the new metalwork factory sorted out.  Most of the remaining buildings will be made of assorted metal blocks.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55821 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:46 pm »

Nearly 3 years in on a volcano with 0.47.05.
The mayor has been killed during the 4th wave of giant kea attacks, this wave struck so fast the military was too late.
A potash maker was killed in the 3rd wave.
Perhaps it's time to put the civilians into squads with weapons like I usually do... I hate playing the turtle.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55822 on: February 21, 2021, 12:56:50 pm »

Turned out the intruders were a small group of gila monster man raiders - three recruits a handgunner and a sword and hammerman. The swordsman lead a hasty retreat after they lost most of thier mounts and the handgunner and hammer man were killed. Ended up murdering a count as well, as I keep forgetting visitors will use any open location as an excuse to visit and try to steal your shit. Two turned out to be frauds, but the count was probably legitimately just coming to visit the new temple to Lal Arrowright.

A few artifacts have been made since - an instrument of some sort, a sandal, a figurine, all dreadfully boring.

Militia's been expanded. One, a woman with the last name Dentmachine, is now in charge of a squad, and using that hammer. While she was trained with spears, a last name like Dentmachine can't be allowed to go to waste.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55823 on: February 21, 2021, 06:13:18 pm »

After a long hiatus I think I've more-or-less got a handle on the basic stuff.  Naturally I waaay overproduced food (delighted the "new" variety of surface plants and fruits!), and set up an inefficient glass industry with the lovely guaranteed magma.   Even messed with guilds and temples a little, nifty stuff!  My dorfs seemed pretty patient with me, maybe because I prioritized top-quality food and  drink in a lovely dining hall.

Halfway through year three I got a heck of an invasion, though.  I thought I counted 44 undead invaders, which is weird since DFHack claims a limit of 40.  They're undead, even though I could have sworn I avoided being near a tower.  They're full equipped too, many of them in steel, along with all the normal undead resilience.  Also they have three horns and no eyes I guess??

I savescummed a bit to figure out the "new" (to me) military system and see what worked against them.  I hadn't trained a proper military at all, and from what I was reading these things are extremely hardy even to an established force.

Eventually I cheesed them into cage traps, which I started stockpiling in a freshly-dug chamber near the magma glassworks.  I was nearly ready to Pull The Lever when I noticed that one was free, and effortlessly slaughtering my dorfs.  I don't know how that happened.  A hauler had gotten a strange mood and dropped one filled cage on the stairway, but that shouldn't free the prisoner.  I had also unforbidden a lot of the invaders' equipment via the stocks screen, if that did it. 

Either way, I think I'm ready to take the loss and plan a better fortress layout with what I learned.  Maybe I'll even bother to make a military this time!  I made the classic mistake of relying on a single-tile staircase for more traffic than I anticipated - I should use burrows to keep dorfs from making that trip unnecessarily.  (To that end, I'm going to see if I can cave-in some surface sand so it's closer to the magma...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55824 on: February 21, 2021, 06:15:14 pm »

Ran a small fort for many years just to get everything up and running, the only visitors I got were hoards of monster slayers after I breached every cavern layer. I let 25 of them down into the caverns and sealed them up down there just to see what they might stumble on. Most of them died but I was impressed that some of them lasted years down there, hunting small vermin and drinking pool water before succumbing to madness.

A forest of memorial slabs later and I got to thinking it might be nice to make them a little rest stop, just to give the good ones a fighting chance at survival. The first cavern layer only has two ways in and out that I sealed up, it's safe otherwise- flooded, with some gentle beaches covered in red moss and cave spider webs. I built a little inn down there out of clay bricks, with some bedrooms and everything needed to keep it self sufficient, with a bridge to a secure passageway to every cavern layer. Worked like a charm, when they're not hunting crundles they go out there to relax and gossip, no more sleeping in my industry hall. Even burrowed a dwarf down there to keep the place up and running and build it up a little bit (I thought it might be fun to try to move my fort down here, since there's so much space and the beaches look rather nice), but he got too depressed to drink alcohol within a month of being given this post.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55825 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:53 pm »

His fifth murder was done in front of 27 witnesses, and the vampire was given a two year sentence and put in a jail cell. Further construction was done to the jail cell ensure that no one will be able to release the prisoner after two years.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55826 on: February 22, 2021, 02:52:44 pm »

So my fort has a necromancer and an armadillo woman death zombie as visitors and now a stinking goblin poet has just shown up at my front gate.  Is there an undesirable magnet buried in the mountains here somewhere?  I know I didn't put up a big neon sign that says "Lowlifes Welcome!" above my front gate.  All we need now is a lousy elf deciding to crash here.

This is the second time this necromancer dropped by, but she isn't associated with the tower to the north that visited me last spring with the freaks they whipped up in their dungeons.  (Said freaks were made out of the local goblins, so that's no loss).  So as long as she doesn't get creative with my refuse piles, she'll be left alone.

I looked up the goblin in Legends Viewer and he's from a goblin civ from the south and he has something of a history making false friendships with humans, so he's going to the usual level of trust all goblins get from my forts.  The fall caravan should be coming any day now, so once they show up, the fort's getting sealed off.  As an added bonus, once my army is done killing him, he's got a free book for my library on him.

And my stupid leader decided to get moody, so the diplomat left.  Bah.  I need to tell mountain home to send more sand and goose leather.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:00:22 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55827 on: February 22, 2021, 04:59:31 pm »

I need to tell mountain home to send more sand and goose leather.

Those are some very oddly specific things you need.

Another artifact made, more trade done and another issue ironed out. Turns out I left geomantite retardo cheap, and the raven men have a fixation on their beetles cause they have more of those than their intended dedicated pack mules the Cargo Heron. Polar bear men came and went, home caravan and raven boys came and went. All in all, things are quiet and going good. Finally kicked brick production back into gear as well, so the outer courtyard and a second barracks are underway.

More and more of the population is getting housed too, and everyone has new shoes made by a master in his craft, a 13 year old who went funny in the head and made a perfect sandal. Also Zas has gotten attached to his steel spear, which thankfully isn't an issue given the material.

I think I might raise the population cap a bit once I have everyone housed and whatnot.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55828 on: February 22, 2021, 08:36:16 pm »

The Crossbowman Thon Melzemel was just caught skulking around.  This is not surprising.  What is surprising is that he was able to load and fire a crossbow while wearing both gloves and mittens. 

And also that someone who according to his crossbow once slew a hydra was so bloody pathetic. 

Maybe these things are connected. 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55829 on: February 22, 2021, 09:33:21 pm »

3 years in on the volcano in v.47.05 with population cap 1000 just for fun.
Loving the Vettlingr alpha pack, I never could enjoy the round bridges of other popular sets.
Population 123 dwarfs, 27 children, 4 petitioners and 2 more are now citizens.
Not too bad with artifacts so far: rock crystal window, nickel battle axe, bone helm, copper mace, mechanism, crown
Only 2 deaths, to giant kea (mentioned above).
The last kea attack also frightened the dwarf merchants, who are strangely now hanging out on top of a castle wall.
Stress ranges from 90 to -47k and they're all outside in the rain frequently.

(edit: a typical level surrounding the volcano)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:05:15 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 3720 3721 [3722] 3723 3724 ... 3836