Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3721 3722 [3723] 3724 3725 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855535 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55830 on: February 23, 2021, 12:24:33 pm »

I need to tell mountain home to send more sand and goose leather.

Those are some very oddly specific things you need.

Not really.  There's no sand on my map, so I have to buy it from the caravans.  And it's hard to keep up a domestic supply of leather, so I grab that off the caravans too to maintain my stocks.  I just tell the dorfs I want goose leather because it's easier to demand one type of leather than all of them at once.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55831 on: February 24, 2021, 08:17:16 am »

I modded in a couple of extra enemies, because it's always good to have a few more enemies right?

I should have checked my starting embark more thoroughly. I don't think any of them can get to me.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55832 on: February 24, 2021, 10:24:02 pm »

Lately Lashscrapes has been getting less trouble from the human Kingdom of Boards and more from the goblins of the Terror of Catching.  I was just looking at the unit list when their latest siege arrived and noticed that their leader, 'master' Saslu Nustuxo, walked into a cage trap in one of their earlier attacks.  I guess they probably want him back.  I don't expect their current effort to cause any real problems, though.

The metalworking complex is mostly organized and churning out blocks of zelen, rose gold, and dragon bone.  I've begun constructing a central building, primarily from zelen blocks, which will eventually hold the trading depot, the inn, and a few other odds and ends.  Maybe I'll put Saslu's cage in there as a decoration.  Lashscrapes lost an urlun child in a fall that appears to have been caused by a minor breach of magma containment.  I thought I had all the doors locked, but it seems I missed one.  It's properly sealed now, and the unfortunate victim rests in a ☼bismuth bronze sarcophagus☼.

Construction to reinforce the main gate is in progress.  The outer wall is mostly andesite blocks; I've added basalt for some of the flooring and cobaltite for ramps.  I have to clear out some new trees every time I start reinforcing another section of the wall; the stockpiles hold over 3,500 logs, exceeded only by ammunition and constructed blocks.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55833 on: February 25, 2021, 01:17:55 am »

Going to have to open up the caverns and cull the hungry head population soon. I mean, it's adorable getting the message "Hungry head has given birth to twins" a few times a season, but they're going to hamper my FPS soon. They've got to go!

(88 of them down there right now...)

In other news my cunning raiders have stolen a giant walrus from the nearby yeti village. Slipping past their guards unseen.... :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:43:57 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55834 on: February 26, 2021, 02:58:04 am »

Going to have to open up the caverns and cull the hungry head population soon. I mean, it's adorable getting the message "Hungry head has given birth to twins" a few times a season, but they're going to hamper my FPS soon. They've got to go!

(88 of them down there right now...)

In other news my cunning raiders have stolen a giant walrus from the nearby yeti village. Slipping past their guards unseen.... :o
The forgotten beasts are pretty much keeping my caverns clear of other wildlife - they're responsible for the better part of half the death list.  I think the biggest harm to my FPS is probably coming from over 200 assorted livestock.  I'm planning to attempt a multi-generation fort for my next project, and intending a strict limit of 2 types of livestock there.  Although giant walruses would be tempting if I got access to them!

The new depot at Lashscrapes sits on a 7x7 square of rose gold block floor.  Haven't started constructing the raised road that will connect it to the front gate, but there's a set of temporary ramps giving access.  The front gate itself is ready and progress continues on the outer wall.  Several trees in the southwest pasture are full of ostriches.  I now have two economically linked forest retreats affiliated with the Symmetric Hurricane, even though I'm pretty sure that's the elven civ that's been sending ambushes against Lashscrapes.  Maybe if enough of them form economic ties, they'll stop throwing armies with pointed sticks at me?  Cleaning up the wooden rubbish is a nuisance.

EDIT: Currently under siege.  I only saw a handful of invaders turn up, and all of them are either caged or dead.  Maybe the rest of the army is stuck off the edge of the map?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:47:33 am by Demonic Gophers »

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55835 on: February 26, 2021, 12:57:56 pm »

I was unhappy with my close to the surface fort, the layout was adhoc and I was feeling penned in, so I decided to focus on carving out a new fort in the first cavern layer. It’s very gentle, only edge accessible on two sides and flooded save for some wide beaches. I set up a small group of workers to take care of the construction and put a military squad down there to explore the other levels. Found the perfect spot for a fort, in the middle of the underground cove carved out of a wide column of rock.

Flash forward a month or so in game time, and I’ve been pretty fixated on marching my hammer lords around killing troglodytes and the minutiae of every little thing I need in fort 2.0 when I start getting depression alerts. I had barely checked in on my fort, I set foot and drink production on repeat and just kind of left it. I thought it’d be fine, it wasn’t.

See my burrow in the underground had been generating a lot of job cancellation reports, so I turned off the notices and forgot to turn them back on. So I missed my brewer running out of barrels. And I missed a tantrumming dwarf closing my floodgate and draining my well. So all my cave adapted dwarves had been marching out to the river to drink water. They carved a 2 screen wide road of vomit from my fort a entrance to the river, and were literally drinking the flowing vomit from the river. On top of that, this journey brought them past my corpse dumping ground, so for a month they were enduring this terrible combination of tragedies.

This has had the effect you would imagine. My deluxe cavern fort is all done and everyone’s moved in, it’s a palace, but the 30 inhabitants of the fort who were there for vomit corpse sunlight dirty water road can’t handle the pressure. Suicides and insanity are an epidemic. The mayor and two of my barons are in prison for fist fighting, the other barons catatonic. The last two captains of the guard drowned themselves. An administrator turned my legendary metal smith into a pair of pants. I have my palace but without strict measures it’s going to be a madhouse soon, no one can get past having to drink vomit. With expulsions, judicial murders and suicides I’ve lost 2/3ds of my original fort  population.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55836 on: February 27, 2021, 03:37:17 pm »

I think I'll take a second crack at my soap elephant megaproject.  The first attempt ended less than halfway through when my computer stopped working right, and I always wanted to try again and finish it off.

Here's the site my current 47.05 fort is located on:

There's a nice volcano and some elevated terrain on the east side of the map, while the rest of the 3x3 embark is flat.  There's excellent mineral wealth on the site too, lots of iron ore and coal, plus lesser ores like gold and platinum and piles and piles of gems. There's no elves nearby to trade with, but that's not really a big problem since I don't have to deal with their snotty diplomats while the merchants bring nearly nothing of value.  There is a necrotower not far to the north, so that'll provide lots of stuff to magmatize.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:42:36 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55837 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:19 pm »

So, I guess I got spring flooding at my fort.

Embarked on a multi-biome area with a waterfall and of course the part of the stream that leads off the map thawed a couple months later than the rest of the stream, which caused flooding. No biggie, just built some log walls along the river to prevent it from flooding into my temporary fort (which just so happens to have its entry next to the stream). I didn't, however, take into account that the water takes some time to evaporate and come next winter, some of the floodwater froze and now we have a couple of unfortunate dwarves less.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55838 on: February 27, 2021, 09:26:59 pm »

I've sent my bold dwarves to raid "Shafthole, the Windy Harmony".

I..er...yeah, that's all.  :)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55839 on: February 27, 2021, 09:45:33 pm »

I've sent my bold dwarves to raid "Shafthole, the Windy Harmony".

I..er...yeah, that's all.  :)
LOL
If I had been eating or drinking, it would be spewed all over my monitor!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #55840 on: February 27, 2021, 10:20:07 pm »

The siege ended when a handful of war dogs turned up and got killed.  I got the raised road to the new depot in working condition, though not complete, before the end of spring.  Zelen block, with a band of rose gold at each end, and two hardened silver bridges in the middle that will eventually be able to redirect invaders onto a longer path that goes right past the archery ranges.  For now, the edges aren't finished, so most of the path is just three or four tiles wide, but it's enough to provide wagon access.  Unfortunately, the first visitors to set foot on it were elven ambushers.  The lovely rose gold entry is all covered in pools of blood and piles of wooden rubbish.  The most obnoxious part, though, is that I can hardly get 10 frames without pausing for another 'Curse all friends of nature!' message. Come on, people, couldn't you just leave stealth at the same time and get it over with?

EDIT: Ambush dealt with; no siege turned up on top of it this time.  At least my newest graduates from unarmed combat training got a chance to pick up a little weapon practice with no real danger.  One of them picked up a scratch on one tentacle, but recovered before the doctors could do more than wash the injury.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:00:10 am by Demonic Gophers »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55841 on: February 28, 2021, 07:37:57 am »

Population 124, 75 in the hospital after a barroom brawl escalated into something like a loyalty cascade. Seems to be over now (hopefully).

Minor injuries all round and all the cats are dead.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55842 on: February 28, 2021, 08:39:56 am »

Wow, how many beds (etc) in your hospital?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55843 on: February 28, 2021, 08:52:01 am »

Wow, how many beds (etc) in your hospital?
Ha, less than I need. 75 was the number of dwarves at "rest". They'd like to be in hospital beds I'm sure.

Two dead plus a visiting elf (and the cats of course). Luckily enough dwarves were left over to tend to the wounded and make soap. Nobody's gained any stress (except maybe me).

Anyway, they've brushed themselves off, are full of happy thoughts about getting into fistfights and are hard at work cleaning away mountains of teeth.

Meh, who needs teeth...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:55:49 am by Shonai_Dweller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55844 on: February 28, 2021, 09:52:41 am »

Minor injuries all round and all the cats are dead.

This is such a DF quote.
Pages: 1 ... 3721 3722 [3723] 3724 3725 ... 3836