Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3722 3723 [3724] 3725 3726 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773990 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55845 on: March 01, 2021, 09:28:23 pm »

I sent the newest squad, designated the Talon, to attack the hamlet Alesblot in the Kingdom of Boards.  I'm hoping to get the Talon's squad leader trained in tactics with some easy battles, and Alesblot reportedly has a population of less than ten.  The Talon returned shortly after the arrival of the latest Board siege, so I sent a few other champions to help clear a path to the main gate.  The invasion force included nothing but humans and was destroyed without incident.  The Talon reports that while Alesblot has few residents, it is guarded by more than 20 kendrik dragons.  In multiple quick skirmishes, the two of them killed eight dragons and returned unharmed, but this is a reminder that even small settlements may harbor unexpected protections.

I've set up a workshop complex next to the new depot to efficiently produce cloth goods.  For some reason, the miller consistently ignores the stockpile of dimple cups right next to the millstone, producing only flour, which is making dye the bottleneck in the process.  I've also ordered excavations to start laying the foundation for a new military headquarters, which will be constructed of dragon bone blocks.  Construction of a gatehouse around the main gate is in progress.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55846 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:02 pm »

Tribal snowmen (they're yetis with spears) have ambushed us several times over the past few years. With their ice wolves and giant penguins they're a formidable foe.

If only they wouldn't leap out of ambush right in front of another invading army every single time. Oh how we laugh....

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55847 on: March 04, 2021, 01:53:18 pm »

I killed a bunch of elves with wooden spiked balls.

The corpse pits have recently been dug to prevent uneasiness.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55848 on: March 04, 2021, 02:13:35 pm »

I killed a bunch of elves with wooden spiked balls.

Now that sounds wonderfully appropriate.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55849 on: March 04, 2021, 06:56:39 pm »

For the last month I've been watching an epic battle between a winged blob of steam and a lame cat.
Every single attack by the blob of steam "glances away" without harming the cat. The cat could probably kill the blob of steam, but it doesn't even try to attack it for some reason.
A part of me wants to send my hammerdwarves in to intervene, but I'd kind of like to capture the blob for my zoo.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55850 on: March 06, 2021, 07:32:46 am »

Their struggle is symbolic now. You must let them fight for the rest of eternity.

Urist Lovestone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55851 on: March 06, 2021, 01:26:43 pm »

Mass tree cutting, the elves are not very happy with us. We've hardly produced anything useful with it and capped off a volcano. Some magma crabs kept showing up and crawled out around, so we had to prioritizing making that not a place magma crabs come from. We keep getting into fights with things and they're stealing things, magma crab getting in there would make that a lot worse for us currently. We got a nice set up with some magma forges there now. My first priority was setting up a hospital, so the main point of it has to be a well and anything useful for a functional hospital isn't in production like threads or splints or anything, we've had issues with the well. We missed a few trade caravans like 3 of them, and we're desperate for bags. I was thinking of atom smashing seeds but maybe I can sell them the next time a caravan comes around. We need to maybe cut down more trees though, our mayor keeps asking for barrels and I want to channel a lot of sections out so it's easy to talk to the volcano from the entrance but not so easy to walk to the entrance. I don't like channeling or digging into roots the trees have to come down first. I wanted to build some sort of trap that can mass drown things, but if the elves want to start some stuff maybe we should use lava instead. We just started up farms too but I feel like I messed up placement of stills and kitchens during all this and it's not working that well. Maybe we can just throw the seeds in the lava pit area maybe I need more miners.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55852 on: March 06, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »

This embark looks promising:
Spoiler: Stonesense view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bring it all (click to show/hide)

I tried using burrows to have a specific miner tap into the side of the magma source, but of course the most experienced one was caught in the pyroclastic flow.
Spoiler: Forges (click to show/hide)

In his place, 31 migrants arrived, bumping the population from 14 to 45.  Now some real work can finally get started. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:44:13 am by Schmaven »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55853 on: March 07, 2021, 02:07:09 pm »

47.05 volcano embark now in 6th year.  Last year 110 gobs, b.dogs, & trolls besieged us, but we had our 87-tile diameter wall completed surrounding the crater to a minimum wall height of 4z's (maximum height 16z's on the downslope).  Unfortunately we had to turtle and let them kill 1/2 of the dwarf caravan that has been orphaned since they deconstructed their wagons during a giant kea attack probably 2 year earlier.

Now a 2nd siege has arrived before we could complete 1/2 of the concentric 125-tile diameter outer wall. This time it's 280 gobs, b.dogs, & trolls so we're going back inside now.

We have 164 citizens (28 are kids). Military is only 45 and we don't have good metals besides a little goblinite and traded bars, so they're equipped with a variety of leather & some metal armor. The pop limit is at 1000 just because I've never tried that before, and: INVASION_SOLDIER_CAP:120 and INVASION_MONSTER_CAP:40 although the game seems to be ignoring those for this siege.

At this point 23 dwarfs have positive stress between 1 and 800; the rest are pretty happy through the constant rain & snow. They haven't witnessed a whole lot of dead bodies and deaths.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55854 on: March 09, 2021, 08:52:43 am »

About 3 days into the first winter, I got sieged by a necromancer, a dozen zombies and another dozen necromantic experiments. Every dwarf managed to get inside and raise the bridge to turtle up. So far so good. But all my bronze bars, logs and coal are still outside. So is my single anvil. So are my seeds. So are both roosters (one now undead, one just plain dead) destroying my poultry-breeding program. My military have bronze helmets and battle-axes but no other equipment. I know from save-scumming that they arent even capable of defeating even one of those necromantic experiments.

I have a plan. I need to tap the brook from below for water to drink and muddy some floors with (this is a map without soil). And I need to access the caverns for plants, seeds, wood, meat, bones. Then once the basic needs are seen to, I can think about arranging a cave-in below the forge.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:55:04 am by lazygun »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55855 on: March 10, 2021, 10:52:00 pm »

Seeing as you intend to go to the caverns anyhow, you can use those caverns to {p}lant your gardens, no floor muddying necessary, so long as those caverns aren't empty of life.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55856 on: March 12, 2021, 04:57:02 pm »

About to embark in an interesting world, after checking out legends;

The dwarven race has nearly fallen, betrayed by their own king.
King Urvad Roadcrypt had ruled us from the dawn of time but the dwarven empire had failed to expand under his rule, still only occupying the mountainhall of Smithruler.  This was no concern, as Smithruler was a mighty and well known city. Many artifacts were created and life was good. But then Urvad betrayed us; he turned to the dark art of necromancy, He left and constructed a large necromancer tower not far from Smithruler. A new royal lineage took over but only a decade later the mountain titan BornDusks the Mahogany attacked, this monstrous creature razed Smithruler to the ground, murdering all that came on his path. The royal family was al but wiped out with only the fifth oldest daughter surviving. This woman, Dodòk Paintbridges, took the crown. With the last dwarven city now destroyed, she was forced to live in exile among the humans of the Realms of Ransacking. The humans did however not welcome these refugees, at least four plots were concocted by human adversaries to take the crown. Then they started to persecute the religious movement that Dodòk followed, expelling the followers from their homes, and desecrating their holy sites. Dodók was enraged, and she declared war on the human empire. Three years later she died of old age. Her daughter Rigoth Oilfeasts took the crown but when she died of old age in the year 250 the dwarven empire had been destroyed, and there was nobody to take the crown. The dwarven empire of the Accidental Door was no more.

It is the year 400 now. dwarves are nearly extinct. a few scattered outcasts live amongst the humans. seven of the last survivors have now come together to try and turn the tide. We have chosen a site on a volcano close to the ruins of Smithruler, but this will not be easy. We will be at war with both the humans and goblins. The site lies in the shadow of the mighty necromancer tower of LashSuns, from which the old necromancer king, Urvad Roadcrypt still watches.

I will play with a very low popcap to simulate that we are near extinction. The Tower was not listed on embark as an enemy, possibly because it was the only surviving dwarven site in the world, but I do not think they will stay friendly. This will be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 04:59:02 pm by Bralbaard »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55857 on: March 12, 2021, 05:22:11 pm »

Our fort is about 60-strong, with three children, almost all recent migrants. We have just been provided with a King
Spoiler: And other titles (click to show/hide)

....I'm worried about the Mountainhomes.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55858 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:08 pm »

My dear boy, it sounds like you may be facing some interesting times ahead! Savor it.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55859 on: March 12, 2021, 08:46:06 pm »

Her daughter Rigoth Oilfeasts took the crown but when she died of old age in the year 250 the dwarven empire had been destroyed, and there was nobody to take the crown. The dwarven empire of the Accidental Door was no more.

The Accidental Door is such a good name for a destroyed empire.
Pages: 1 ... 3722 3723 [3724] 3725 3726 ... 3835