Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3724 3725 [3726] 3727 3728 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856172 times)

Mardipaev

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55875 on: March 17, 2021, 07:14:19 pm »

It’s the 12th of Moonstone and Likot Rulushrakust was once again sparring in the training area.
He marvelled at the how easy it was to dodge without hitting a wall every second step.

You see the overseer recently moved the barracks from a little side room next to the Trade Depot to a bigger chamber next to the ramps that allowed the trading caravans access.
While the pack of Grizzly Bears had been pastured on top of the Trade Depot instead of on the ramps.

All in a effort to actually catch those darned kobolds who kept poking their squirrely heads in only to be spotted by the Grizzlies, now when they get spotted they will find the military of Ugithstâkud blocking their way out.

He manfully kept his laughter suppressed and blocked Solon Olinbesmar’s Rodemakgos on his Degëldodók, the steel point skittered to the side and his retaliatory swing of his Zursùlgor.
Olin didn’t even deign to block and the axe head whistled past his head harmlessly.

Keyed up on adrenaline Likot prepared to himself for the next exchanged when he heard the exceptional obsidian door to the barracks open. Expecting a shift change he whirled around in shock when he heard his commander, Lokum Rakustevost, scream: ‘An Ambush! Curse all friends of nature!’

The stick with cross guard came down far too slowly, maybe weighing it down with a metal head at the end would result in a more effective weapon? In retaliation to the far too slow blow he swung his Degëldodók at his nature loving opponent then when the blow was evaded the head of his axe would be waiting.

The face of the shield met the nose of the elf.
It exploded into gore, painting the gleaming metal in abstract patterns of red.

Pulling back his Degëldodók and lowering his Zursùlgor Likot tilted his head and asked his clearly dazed opponent: ‘Can it all end so quickly?’
Seeing no reaction from the elf who casually leaned against the wall ignoring his clearly smashed nose and the blood running down his chin.
‘Begone fear!’
No reaction.

Extending his weapon he carefully poked the insensate(?) elf stickman, he was not calling it a sword.
The elf toppled to the ground.
‘Death… This is truly horrifying.’

The other four dwarves whom had been training with him had already charged out the exceptional obsidian door.
As he stepped outside he saw that they were fighting.. an arm still clutching a wooden axe skidded past him and came to a rest against the armour stand in the middle of the room, a red smear decorated the smooth black floor.
Correction the others were slaughtering the elves to the left of the door, looking right he saw another squad trying to be sneaky.
He hefted up his Zursùlgor and screamed the, apparently, traditional warning to his fellows: ‘An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!’

A stickman swung at Likot but a small hitch in his charge dodged the blow easily.
The Elf was not deterred and aimed a right-handed punch at the dwarf’s face.
A raised shield stopped the blow cold and Zursùlgor punished the over extension.
The right lower arm flew in an arc over his shoulder.

Screaming in rage (pain) the nature lover kicked at the dwarf in a desperate bid to get the steel clad ankle biter away from him.
Again Zursùlgor swung down and another extremity went flying.

In an incredible show of dexterity and grit the elf kicked out with his left leg.
(In actuality he fell over.)
This time only a foot was taken by the bloodied axe.

Suddenly the stickman remembered his stick and slashed at the leather clad right foot of the dwarf.
Contemptuously Zursùlgor came down again and everything from the shoulder down  went on a journey across the hallway.

The upper body was launched back to his compatriots who had just appeared from the stairwell next to the ramps. Lowering his right foot Likot raised his weapons: ‘Death is all around us.’
He swallowed, they outnumbered him five to one: ‘I feel very uneasy.’

Cracking his neck and casually side stepping the pine arrow he prepared to welcome the long-stickman.

Well that’s what you get when you try to raze an elf settlement.
I better prepare a chute to dump their bodies into the magma. 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55876 on: March 17, 2021, 09:06:44 pm »

My fort has no holdings, tributaries, vassals, of any kind.
Yet I've been "blessed" with 3 barons and 1 count in less than 3 years of play in un-modded 0.47.05
Unless I'm reading the wiki wrong, it says I shouldn't have any barons or counts.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55877 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:45 pm »

Yet I've been "blessed" with 3 barons and 1 count in less than 3 years of play in un-modded 0.47.05
Unless I'm reading the wiki wrong, it says I shouldn't have any barons or counts.
Were they appointed (dialogue box with outpost liaison) or are they just migrants/visitors who are/became barons and counts of other places. They'll still order people around, and the migrants can't leave to go order around their own people of course in the current version.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55878 on: March 18, 2021, 12:00:42 am »

Were they appointed (dialogue box with outpost liaison) or are they just migrants/visitors who are/became barons and counts of other places. They'll still order people around, and the migrants can't leave to go order around their own people of course in the current version.

Dwarven nobles have no apparent duties or responsibilities.  This leaves them free to wander and migrate to your fortress, but they will never leave.  They still expect to have their mandates, demands, and requirements met.  It seems that some worlds and civilizations cause this more than others as some fortresses never see this while I have had others where as many as 6 nobles migrate to my fort. 

Also, sometimes the heir migrates to your fort and then inherits the title. 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55879 on: March 18, 2021, 04:50:09 am »

Thanks for the replies. I sure wish the gamelog.txt had the date preceding each entry! 
My fortress is K–bukokun (Lancedshrines), founded in 125 on a volcanic island, inaccessible to all other sites on the world map, which must be meaningless.

Here's what I know, in chronological order:
0. I can't remember for sure if it was this fort or my previous one, but I may have made the mistake of accepting the opportunity to appoint a baron.
1. 126-12 `Bomreki 03' Stoneseals, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baroness of Mountainknight.  (a 3rd wave migrant)
     Mountainknight is a nearby hillocks
2. 127-03 `Domas 03' Ringfaints, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baron of Graniteallied.  (a 3rd wave migrant)
     Graniteallied is a nearby hillocks
3. 127-06  `Loge 02' Lettermortal, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of count of Cryptfought. (a 2nd wave migrant)
     Cryptfought is a nearby fortress
4. 127-09  'Kol 03' Rampartpaddled, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baron of Scratchoiled.  (a 3rd wave migrant)
     Scratchoiled is a nearby hillocks

(edit: Is there a way to verify my memory in (0.) in the game or log or ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:58:34 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55880 on: March 18, 2021, 09:59:53 am »

It seems strange for a dwarf with "butcher an animal" to haul a giant kea skeleton to the butcher shop and proceed to carve it up into [1] skull, [24] bones, and of course a feather.  Since when do they butcher already decomposed animal skeletons?

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55881 on: March 18, 2021, 10:00:30 am »

All of those are just nobles of other lands that decided to live in your fortress (strictly speaking they are heirs that decided to live in your fortress and then inherited the title).  If you accepted the opportunity to appoint a baron, that is still to come. 

Perhaps this is a sign that your civilization is in decline.  There aren't many other historical figures to migrate to your fortress other than noble heirs and the preceding nobles are dying from invasions.  Not really sure. 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55882 on: March 18, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »

Well, one of those pesky barons (Kol) was bitten by a werechinchilla along with 2 others before it was killed.  The 2 others were drafted into a "special" squad and secreted away to train until I get time to otherwise deal with them.

But the were-baron wasn't easy to control. I made him the only engraver and sent him aboveground to smooth stone. He obliged for a while, but then went back below to eat and then turned beast.  The ensuing fight gave me 4 new werechinchillas for the special squad, and a total of about 20 dead (17% of pop) before the loyalty fighting stopped.

I just haven't had time to prepare !fun! solutions for the nobles yet, lol.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55883 on: March 18, 2021, 05:00:04 pm »

It seems strange for a dwarf with "butcher an animal" to haul a giant kea skeleton to the butcher shop and proceed to carve it up into [1] skull, [24] bones, and of course a feather.  Since when do they butcher already decomposed animal skeletons?

I think it's related to how you have the work orders set up in the "o" menu.  I'm not entirely sure because I've had some forts kill wild animals that wandered into the forts ignore the corpses until I started monkeying with the settings.  It hasn't been a big priority for me to check exactly what was going on.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55884 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:29 pm »

Yeah, they'll butcher refuse such as skeletons. They don't prioritise it very high though, so usually they'll procrastinate with another task.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55885 on: March 18, 2021, 09:20:56 pm »

Cutting up a rotting corpse would be horrible. They wait until the flesh on the corpse has decayed, then butcher it for the bones.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55886 on: March 19, 2021, 09:26:48 pm »

Although memorials were already constructed for the 3 dwarves who were found dead at the bottom of the waterfall, their bodies were recently recovered and properly entombed.  The brief winter freeze so far has been very helpful.  Otherwise just basic fortress beginnings: setting up food production, carpentry, metalworks, & masonry.  In my experience, FPS drops as soon as caverns are revealed, so I've been putting off digging down toward the magma sea.  Coal supplies have been running out, so I might have to take the hit and delve down soon. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55887 on: March 20, 2021, 04:46:03 pm »

Just now beginning steel production. Mini dwarves produce it but I've more than maxed out the number of hives. Have been unable to get similar populations of honey bees, only like 10 hives compared to 60 mini dwarf hives. Fuckers breed fast.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55888 on: March 21, 2021, 12:32:51 am »

Just now beginning steel production. Mini dwarves produce it but I've more than maxed out the number of hives. Have been unable to get similar populations of honey bees, only like 10 hives compared to 60 mini dwarf hives. Fuckers breed fast.
did you implement an idea from the Terrible Suggestions thread?

i pulled up my (outdated) game to see if I could find any interesting artifacts to draw and instead got sucked back into it. (It was inevitable)
I had one map that had been hit by an infestation of werepigs. Blood everywhere. There were ten dwarfs left? maybe less? by the time i got the two werepigs walled away while praying that they hadn't infected anyone else. They hadn't, thank Armok, and so they're now confined to their rooms alone.
Then a weregecko showed up. It was dispatched.
Then a siege arrived consisting of one (1) goblin recruit that immediately skeddadled.
Migrants arrived at some point during this.

I'm not sure if I have a functional military on any of my saves at present...
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55889 on: March 21, 2021, 03:33:13 am »

did you implement an idea from the Terrible Suggestions thread?

I did! They worked out pretty well all things considered. They "stab" dwarves without dying, causing a minor pain syndrome. Bit cheesy to just get steel and gold bars from them, though. Might make it a tool like honeycombs are, so you have to melt them down. And they did take over all the space I wanted to save for honey bees, probably because the beekeepers installed a bunch of mini dwarves first and found bees later on.

Fort crashed tonight in the middle of a fight with a tree of death (megabeast) and couldn't figure out what caused the crash in the arena. Frustrating...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3724 3725 [3726] 3727 3728 ... 3836