Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3725 3726 [3727] 3728 3729 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863383 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55890 on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:45 pm »

In the past, I've always tapped magma from the top magma level by simply channeling and it's not very dangerous to the miner.
Since I haven't learned (intentionally) the "trick" methods that are safe...
This time, we drafted the Count as a miner to tap a lower volcanic level to supply our burgeoning metal needs.
And the stupid, demanding bastard poor noble-spirited dwarf perished quickly. 
The mayor has convinced the populace that it was for the greater good and should please Armok greatly anyway.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55891 on: March 22, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »

I just got DF to run from a flash drive, so now I can embark while out of town - way more fun than whatever cable TV the motels have  8) 

Part of the current embark is cold while the other part is temperate.  The transition is just a few tiles downstream a waterfall, which was fun to watch build its own ice-dam containment wall as the temperate river met the frozen cold one.  The last few tiles of the river are in a temperate zone again, so that bit started off water and promptly drained off the map.

The first order of business is complete: getting everything underground and setting up food / booze production.  A big sprawling room mined out around damp tiles currently has all the stockpiles, crafting, the dining hall, dormitory, and barracks.  And the light aquifer slowly drips down the stairway onto the still.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55892 on: March 22, 2021, 08:50:46 pm »

We just had a Dwarf enter the Map and immediately enter a Strange Mood.

Said Dwarf had not even removed the Migrant Flag yet!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55893 on: March 23, 2021, 04:31:09 pm »

i had a dwarf enter a strange mood and i was all hyped cuz his moodable skill was armorcrafting plus the "oh cool new artifact!" feeling.

he took one silver bar and made a gauntlet.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55894 on: March 23, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »

I really would like to see artifact gauntlets and boots come in pairs.  They are underwhelming as it is, but the fact that they come in singles makes them specifically unsatisfying. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55895 on: March 23, 2021, 05:25:58 pm »

I felt pain reading that.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55896 on: March 23, 2021, 05:51:08 pm »

`Inod' Etestatis, Dwarven Child has created Birir Obot, a sleek giant kea bone mask! 
  She claims it as an heirloom in the name of the family ancestor Dastot Beltvaults.
`Inod' Etestatis, Dwarven Child: I shall name you The Diversion of Cracking.  That was satisfying.

It was assigned to Inod's mother,
'Asmela' Speardwarf/Cook: I acquired something.  I put on a truly splendid item. It pleases me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:55:03 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55897 on: March 24, 2021, 12:15:45 pm »

I felt pain reading that.
Reminds me of a guy at my old apartment block.  Christmas season comes around, he tosses the still-bundled roll of lights over his balcony, just a huge ball of string lights hanging, like "there's your fucking Christmas", lol.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55898 on: March 24, 2021, 02:12:32 pm »

I just inspected my count's thoughts and one of them is "He was embarrassed dwelling upon watching a performance."
I looked into the details using dfhack and it turns out the memory was from just over 11 years ago. That must have been one truly awful performance if he's still dwelling on it and feeling second hand embarrassment 11 years later.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55899 on: March 24, 2021, 03:22:24 pm »

One of my weaponsmiths likes maces and decided that the proper material for her artifact was adamantine.  It's worth almost 1 million dwarf bucks, but I doubt the efficacy in battle. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55900 on: March 24, 2021, 03:38:22 pm »

One of my weaponsmiths likes maces and decided that the proper material for her artifact was adamantine.  It's worth almost 1 million dwarf bucks, but I doubt the efficacy in battle.

Basically none, though a physically very strong user could probably make it work.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55901 on: March 24, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »

I've always struggled with restricting materials for artifact creation.  My forts are always too messy, and they find that 1 unforbidden lead bar for an artifact sword or even worse in your case with the adamantine mace. 

Maybe if you have a highly trained military dwarf with high stress and a risk of going berserk, they could still use the mace to parry and assist their squad mostly as a meat shield.  Then if they do go berserk, they won't be able to cause as much carnage.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55902 on: March 24, 2021, 07:34:51 pm »

When forbidding metal bars to control artifact material, it's easiest to do it through the stocks screen.  Press z, scroll to stocks, scroll to bars, and press F on all types of bars other than the ones you want (steel or adamantine, probably).  This eliminates the task of trying to physically locate the bars in your fortress.  Once the dwarf has selected their material and brought it to the forge, you can unforbid the bars.  Be careful that the dwarf doesn't have a material preference.  Sometimes pressing q on the claimed workshop will show bars of metal and not specify a type but the dwarf may nonetheless have a preference for only a certain type.  If all of the bars of that type are forbidden, the dwarf will sit in the shop until you unforbid the type he needs or he goes crazy. 

However, if, as was the case in my situation, you have a moody dwarf who will only accept adamantine wafers (sometimes the case once you have adamantine available) and that dwarf has a preference for maces, no amount of forbidding will affect the result.  You either accept an adamantine mace and pat them on the head for doing a good job or let the dwarf go crazy. 

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55903 on: March 24, 2021, 11:33:38 pm »

When forbidding metal bars to control artifact material, it's easiest to do it through the stocks screen.  Press z, scroll to stocks, scroll to bars, and press F on all types of bars other than the ones you want (steel or adamantine, probably).  This eliminates the task of trying to physically locate the bars in your fortress.  Once the dwarf has selected their material and brought it to the forge, you can unforbid the bars.  Be careful that the dwarf doesn't have a material preference.  Sometimes pressing q on the claimed workshop will show bars of metal and not specify a type but the dwarf may nonetheless have a preference for only a certain type.  If all of the bars of that type are forbidden, the dwarf will sit in the shop until you unforbid the type he needs or he goes crazy. 

However, if, as was the case in my situation, you have a moody dwarf who will only accept adamantine wafers (sometimes the case once you have adamantine available) and that dwarf has a preference for maces, no amount of forbidding will affect the result.  You either accept an adamantine mace and pat them on the head for doing a good job or let the dwarf go crazy. 

i was all ready to forbid cheaper materials, (i managed to force a sapphire statue that way once) but no he took his single bar of silver and went ham.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55904 on: March 25, 2021, 02:09:02 am »

Pity it's not a hammer. It's always nice to get the hammerer to hit the misaccused with a wifflebat.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 ... 3725 3726 [3727] 3728 3729 ... 3836