Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3728 3729 [3730] 3731 3732 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864503 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55935 on: March 31, 2021, 05:56:20 pm »

i made a room above the fortress and stuck some beds in there and assigned the kids to it so they get some sunlight. most of the fort is doing pretty well with avoiding cave adaptation, rn it's just the kids and the bards that need to get out more. i'm also digging out a magma pump stack. i have plenty of ore so i could train up a weaponsmith, but i don't have enough fuel. all the coal on the map is in the light aquifer. i hate aquifers.

i also took a look through my old versions of the LNP and found some of my old forts, including one that was a !!Fun!! reclaim with bodies EVERYWHERE and the walls and floors painted with blood and vomit, and a fort that was fairly young that was in imminent danger from a rampaging wereelephant. and i have a bad habit of putting off defenses until later.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:26:37 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55936 on: April 01, 2021, 07:47:45 pm »

In 47.05 "vanilla" I'm getting a few random collapses (3 so far) on a large flat plain that the dwarfs have channeled down from the mountainside.  They happen when no dwarf is nearby and nothing is happening there.  It seems unusual.  I've verified there were no tiles left "hanging" from the channeling and removal of all the ramps on the flat plain.

I'm wondering if this is a known thing I've just not heard of.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55937 on: April 02, 2021, 04:39:08 pm »

I think I've heard of that happening before because of trees growing, maybe thats it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55938 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:34 pm »

a version or two ago i had a fort surrounded by a dwarfmade lake, with a long series of raising bridges as the only connection to the mainland.  every so often a random collapse would occur in the air somewhere above the lake, and a lot of the time it would knock down sections of the bridge.  i eventually got sick of having to scaffold around and rebuild bridge sections, and retired the fort

i've also heard it's due to trees growing. speculatively, i think maybe if you channel out a tile that has a sapling on it, that sapling will still eventually grow into a tree, and then collapse because it's not attached to the ground?  i wonder if burning the area after you clear cut it, but before you channel it out, might prevent the later collapses, but i haven't experimented...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55939 on: April 03, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »

Thanks guys for the tree ideas, sounds like they apply to what I saw.

One of my surgeons went berserk (failed mood) and attacked a group of 5 children playing nearby... they killed him with no losses.  8)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55940 on: April 03, 2021, 01:34:01 pm »

I had my first major incident, a sort of loyalty cascade or something, involving some undead.

The dwarf civ's queen, who by the way, is a human, and a necromancer, came to reside in my fort which thus became the mountainhome. Said necromancer queen's mood has been steadily declining for the few years she's been here. First her husband, also a necromancer, died early on, while hunting, by raising a long-dead troll as a "grim zombie", which then promptly mauled him.

We pretty much started work on the queen's royal accommodations as soon as she arrived, however, due to numerous setbacks, including careless cave-ins and phantom(???) aquifers, i've not even finished the throne room yet, two or so years after she arrived. Well, come late autumn of year 258, the 8th year of the fortress, the queen had enough and throws a tantrum and presumably punches something, starts a fight, probably raises some dead thing that i had laying around in the library, which then somehow spirals into the entire floor descending into a melee.

I can't even begin to comprehend what happened but when the fighting had died down, i myself was down to 121 dwarves from 152. among the dead were two of my superlegendary hammerdwarves and three fledgling speardwarves. Unfortunately, the human necromancer queen was not among the dead and had gained a title instead. Needless to say, i'm not terribly happy... And i still have to make her damn throne room now. :P
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55941 on: April 04, 2021, 11:53:20 am »

i lost a grand master mason to a forgotten beast cuz the halfwit was too busy hauling a rock to make a timely exit out of the basement.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55942 on: April 04, 2021, 05:10:01 pm »

i lost a grand master mason to a forgotten beast cuz the halfwit was too busy hauling a rock to make a timely exit out of the basement.

You can fix this problem by putting a small stone stockpile next to your mason shop, with a couple of wheelbarrows, set to give to the shop. Otherwise masons will always pick whichever stone they’re closest to when they decide to make a thing, even if there is a stone sitting right next to the shop.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55943 on: April 04, 2021, 09:07:40 pm »

We get giant kea attacks all the time, but this time I noticed the dwarves are doing something really fun!
There are 19 dorfs climbing the sheer wall between 6 & 10 z-levels above the surface.
Hmm... this might be why I found a miner dead at earlier and couldn't figure why.

Here, we see they reached the top, bunched together; one fell in the volcano and others skydived off into space.
The "?" means he's thinking "WTF?" I guess.  Two of them survived the 11z dive.

Then several took a nap on the top edge while others crowd around them with "no job"...
maybe they are just watching the skydivers like we watched in shock as the people jumped off the towers in NY.

After all the giant keas were killed, there are still 14 dorfs crowded in 3 tiles on the lip of the volcano.  It will be
interesting (not) to see how long they stay up there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:32:55 pm by Uthimienure »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55944 on: April 04, 2021, 09:10:57 pm »

You can fix this problem by putting a small stone stockpile next to your mason shop, with a couple of wheelbarrows, set to give to the shop. Otherwise masons will always pick whichever stone they’re closest to when they decide to make a thing, even if there is a stone sitting right next to the shop.
see, the workshop was in the basement, to clear rocks from my other stockpiles down there. it was already set so he would take rocks from my sandbag stockpile which was a short walk away. i guess when the call went out to gtfo, he was in the middle of hauling a rock from there to the workshop and just. didn't drop it.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55945 on: April 05, 2021, 12:54:23 am »

My military managed to kill a forgotten beast without a single injury, really proud of them, I went ahead and setup a schedule for them to have some free time every season, so they can pray and be with friends, but most of them just want to train anyway.

Scheduling military training only sort of works in the current version in my opinion.  As long as a barracks is designated for the squad, military dwarves will prioritize individual combat drills over other leisure activities (socializing, reading books, praying, watching demonstrations, etc.).  This is arguably the opposite of how you would expect the schedule to work since the idea of a schedule would presumably giving them time off of military duty.  If you want your military dwarves to do other leisure activities while they are on leave, you need to un-designate their barracks.  Since you can't automate the undesignation of their barracks, training schedules are not terribly useful. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55946 on: April 06, 2021, 02:10:51 am »

I reclaimed an "abandoned" WG fort in a largely dead post-necromancer world. Turns out it not only wasn't abandoned, but was also the current and long-time capitol of our civ, complete with current goblin rulers. So now the equivalent of the queen and outpost liaison are chilling around forever.

Old fort is almost totally useless aside from the entrance complex that has served many needs well. Magma forges level only had a few smelters, its 130 z levels below the surface. No iron. In fact the only native ore I found is sphalerite and the iron and steel anvils from the smithies by the bedrooms which are also 50 levels down. Started building our own fort in the first ~15 z levels, farms and everything. Animal pasture on the roof of the fort entrance since its the only place on the surface that grows grass. Tore up and reconfigured floor tiles around the entryway to fort a fortified trade depot. Filled some weapon traps with silver and copper crap lying around the place. Wood cages from logs we brought on embark for cage traps as well, some of each protecting a long winding tunnel i dug leading out as an alternate entrance with a hatch above the interior side.

Zombies came second year. And again the third. First round, several made it past the traps and into the fort, a couple dwarves died fighting them off. Second round went better, only a couple injuries after all but 3 zombies died or captured in the trap corridor. 11 prisoners, stripped of gear and released into a training pit one at a time for the guards to train on. Made them nice steel warhammers from melted anvils, otherwise armored from the loot from the zombies. No necromancers with either siege.

Forgotten beast got in through a well in the roof of the third caverns, because that's the only source of water on the map. Ripped off a miners hand but otherwise was put down swiftly by the guards.

Found one of the adamantine veins on the map is like 30 levels tall. Been digging that out to make addy armor for the guards. Need to make pumps and get water up to a more reasonable level for hospital use.

One thing thats been driving me nuts is the liaison wont leave with the caravan, so i haven't been able to order supplies.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55947 on: April 08, 2021, 11:31:48 pm »

So say you decorate a, beloved, noble's room with well stuffed high quality weapon traps, say right next to the bed. Then around the same time her husband is sleeping in their bed you order an interrogation of the husband. Well your CoG will drag the count consort out of bed and onto those lovely traps. Leaving him stunned. Leaving him being beaten for ten pages by absolutely beautiful spiked copper balls. Leaving his broken mangled corpse jammed into the trap because twenty five years ago you skimped on mechanisms. Great way to start off back in one of my oldest and favorite forts after a few years.

On the bright side I now have a new way to get rid of nobles I might actually want to get rid of.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55948 on: April 10, 2021, 07:48:41 am »

The swordsdwarf stands up.
Proud as a carp.  :)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55949 on: April 10, 2021, 10:39:02 am »

I had forgotten how chaotic reclaims can be. My fortress was 20 strong when I left it. Upon reclaim the magma level in the volcano turns out to have risen two levels causing a major eruption. The dwarves only barely manage to block the corridors that would have allowed the lava to flow into the heart of my fortress.  On top of that, the king and a whole lot of nobles have moved in during my absence, something I am entirely unprepared for. The booze is gone too, and all the wild animals have escaped. Welcome back to Tubeworks, I guess..
Pages: 1 ... 3728 3729 [3730] 3731 3732 ... 3836