Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3729 3730 [3731] 3732 3733 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854391 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55950 on: April 10, 2021, 12:50:33 pm »

While I was not looking the magma level rose further. It has gone up by five levels now and is overflowing the caldera rim. Lava spatter indicates it has the potential to rise at least three levels above the rim.
We have a problem.

We need to try and breach the lava tube at a lower level, and hope we can divert the flow away from the fortress. (which is build mostly on the surface right below the volcano)

Edit: The plan failed, there is just too much lava. It came down in two major flows and a one-urist-high wall was not enough to divert it, we could not get the second level up in time. The lava overflowed the walls in several places as if they were not there. The manager who tried to obsidianize the breach by pooring in water from the top of the walls caught fire and is the first casualty. The alarm has been sounded and the dwarves will now retreat underground, while the above ground fortress burns.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:09:10 pm by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55951 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06:20 pm »

My broker got beaten to death by a gray langur trying to protect the depot from the marauding monkeys. The livestock got more kills than the guards did.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55952 on: April 11, 2021, 10:27:20 pm »

The livestock got more kills than the guards did.

I keep a LOT of wardogs tethered and pastured around the entrance to the trade depot, and any animals that aren't all that useful to me currently are also pastured in that area. So yeah, I too know the effect of a turkey gobbler and a chicken kicking all the attackers to death, while the dorfs seem to enact some sort of ongoing slapstick routine in the background involving a stepladder, a plank and a pane of glass....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55953 on: April 12, 2021, 11:19:26 am »

The monkeys used a gap in our walls so the wardogs were misplaced. They got beaten to death by llamas.

I had a kid go berserk due to a failed mood but his family didn't even care. Nor did the guards who had to beat him to death. They've got steel weapons now, though. Slowly getting the metal industry going.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55954 on: April 14, 2021, 11:57:10 am »

there is just too much lava

NO SUCH THING.

:P
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55955 on: April 18, 2021, 02:16:25 am »

DeadBerries has a tradition of pitting kittens into the zombie infested drowning trap maze to clear the fortifications of undead (since undead refuse to path normally once the water washes them into fortifications). i didn't want to bother sending dwarves because not everything has fully rotted yet and there's still miasma, and if you kill the undead inside the fortifications they'll generate miasma later when everyone is hauling.

i pit the kitten from the center of the maze where there's no visibility between Z levels and direct it by opening manual-override hatches on the sides. it's usually a suicide mission but this little guy proved me wrong:

after unstucking 2 goblin corpses and 1 arm he runs into a particularly stubborn goblin corpse, but instead of running he decides to fight even though the previous goblin arm he unstucked mangled his paw and the nerves in it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

to my surprise the little guy survived the encounter, but his ordeal wasnt over. the goblin was still stuck so i left him in there to finish the job. round 2:

finally the goblin was unstuck and i opened the hatch behind him to let him out, but for some reason he decides the best way out is past the goblin through another hatch:

but he managed to survive that too, and runs free.

my dwarves always get a nickname when they draw this kind of attention. but i can't name a kitten, he's even a stray. needless to say i dont think i'll be re-caging the little guy. he's worth his weight in fps. he might be given more... "missions" though, since he's proved his worth as a cat agent
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55956 on: April 19, 2021, 10:34:39 am »

We have re-routed an entire Brook into Our Fortress, and still can't supply Water to all Our desired Waterfalls.

We miss Heavy Aquifers.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55957 on: April 19, 2021, 02:37:36 pm »

@dwarfish
You could pasture the kitten near the farm plots with a small non-barreled plump helmet stockpile in the pasture to attract vermin for it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55958 on: April 20, 2021, 06:02:05 am »

We miss Heavy Aquifers.

Hear hear. It's so hard to find an aquifer that will actually do the job....

I've been getting much more adept at digging huge multilevel aquifer "diffusers" though, collecting as much water as possible out of as many walls as possible.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55959 on: April 20, 2021, 05:18:46 pm »

Nearly six and half years into my current 47.05 fort, I finally got an actual mercenary to show up.  Looks like I executed enough undead and scumbags for some normalcy to return to the visitor system.  The Dorf Foreign Legion lives again!
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55960 on: April 25, 2021, 08:09:14 pm »

Started a nice fort on a forested plain with a volcano in one corner and a river in the other. No idea what sort of minerals were available on site, because by autumn an undead invasion came and a single zombie got in and slaughtered everyone.

It was a nice site in theory. Might have to retake it.
I make Spellcrafts!

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55961 on: April 27, 2021, 07:30:48 pm »

@dwarfish
You could pasture the kitten near the farm plots with a small non-barreled plump helmet stockpile in the pasture to attract vermin for it.

he and i got lucky. he managed to adopt a dwarf and i managed to avoid slaughtering him when he grew older (i slaughter all animals after 3 years of age during slaughter time) but since he had a nerved damaged paw he had the Sx (trouble standing) health issue in therapist and i used that as a way of identifying him in therapist and avoiding slaughtering him.
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55962 on: April 28, 2021, 04:18:58 am »

I just discovered that, for going on about two years now, a childs corpse has been decomposing in the rafters of my tavern/dining hall in full view of everyone except me.

Whoops. Oh well, the tavern remains as popular as ever regardless. Presumably the humans and elves just think it's a *dwarf bone chandelier* or something.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55963 on: April 28, 2021, 05:56:22 pm »

An incredible dorf just migrated... incredibly brave but possibly helpless, extremely proficient at killing but perhaps a bit unstable, missing half of one leg.

This is one of those worlds where almost every migrant arrives with military skills, but at level 3, not 6.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55964 on: April 29, 2021, 05:02:00 am »

Give him a peg-leg, and he's a dwarf pirate. Okay, a crutch, but DF crutches are functionally a peg-leg since as far as I know they don't encumber the arms.

Actually, no wait, you need to take out an eye and give him a pet parrot to do that. Which is technically not impossible with DF.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3729 3730 [3731] 3732 3733 ... 3836