Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3730 3731 [3732] 3733 3734 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787824 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55965 on: April 29, 2021, 05:15:09 am »

Seems appropriate that his profession is butcher.

If you give him a crutch, be sure to give him a nice heavy crutch so that it can bludgeon the enemy to death. Wooden crutches are such disappointing bludgeoning weapons, but the dorfs do try them anyhow.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55966 on: April 29, 2021, 07:25:34 am »

If you give him a crutch, be sure to give him a nice heavy crutch so that it can bludgeon the enemy to death. Wooden crutches are such disappointing bludgeoning weapons, but the dorfs do try them anyhow.

Platinum makes a fine crutch material.  Good for both happy thoughts and clubbing.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55967 on: May 09, 2021, 06:06:49 am »

A Grizzly Bear, trained for war, was taking a break in my llama/alpaca pasture, waiting as he was for my other grizzly bears to finish their war training. He saw a dwarf drag a huge cage into the underground pasture and strolled over to take a closer look. Which was a good thing as the silly dwarf opened the cage and a furious GIANT burst out, beelining for a tasty looking pig. Before the starving menace could take more than a step, however, the valiant Grizzly Bear charged into him. A swipe of his paw immobilized the giant and brought its head down low enough for the bear to bite into. The fight lasted mere seconds - the giant lying on the ground in a pool of its blood, the victorious grizzly licking itself clean.

The overjoyed dwarfs named him Talulkosoth.

PSA: don't pen/pasture your animals when you're tired - you might actually set your cage-trapped giant free among your yarn-animals. I got really lucky that the grizzly bear was there and that he was strong enough to overpower the giant in literally three attacks - two paw swipes and one bite.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55968 on: May 13, 2021, 10:38:45 am »

I got a human-civ liaison just under one in-game year ago, ordered a bunch of human supplies (including some tame Grizzly Bears for war and breeding purposes), and am now anxiously awaiting the caravan's arrival with the goodies.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55969 on: May 14, 2021, 03:48:53 am »

I got a human-civ liaison just under one in-game year ago, ordered a bunch of human supplies (including some tame Grizzly Bears for war and breeding purposes), and am now anxiously awaiting the caravan's arrival with the goodies.

Oh man, all the cloth! The dyes! All the seeds! And war grizzlies to boot! You're going to have quite the fortress!
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55970 on: May 16, 2021, 02:31:47 pm »

The first year just passed, with no major industries set up, and I've spent hours with game paused. Over 80% of my ores, and good stones, are locked up inside of over 12z of light aquifer (I tried reveal, after enough headaches, which shows 12z, but I'm getting leaking damp stone even a few Zs lower), that go right down to the caverns. My dwarves all want to go into the farm plots to get food, instead of eating from the large store of chopped jaguar liver. Aside from my mason and farmer, my other dwarves are in a cycle of dig, replace dugout bits with constructions, wall off, eat, drink, sleep, repeat, with much dfhack (revealdesignated). Since corner walls can't be made through a diagonal opening, that entails much micromanagement. Slowest. Fort. Ever. I don't even know what I'm going to do when creatures start dying (reanimation and thralling), but that will be for another day.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55971 on: May 17, 2021, 12:50:21 pm »

Smoothing stone prevents aquifer leaking?! Oh wow, wish I had known that!  :'(

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55972 on: May 17, 2021, 03:18:55 pm »

Yep, smooth stone prevents aquifer leaking, and if you're in sand or clay or whatever and can't smooth the walls, then keep in mind that diagonal/corner walls are not necessary, as the aquifer only leaks orthogonally. This saves a lot of time and effort.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55973 on: May 17, 2021, 04:12:41 pm »

Ceilings can still drip, and you can't smooth ceilings.  So it's best to dig down an extra level underneath the damp level before starting your useable area.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55974 on: May 17, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »

Yeah, I knew the ceilings dripping bit - ruined one fortress of mine in the past.

But this information:

Yep, smooth stone prevents aquifer leaking, and if you're in sand or clay or whatever and can't smooth the walls, then keep in mind that diagonal/corner walls are not necessary, as the aquifer only leaks orthogonally. This saves a lot of time and effort.

certainly would've made things easier in the past. Well, next time I have a light aquifer, I know how to get gems and ores out of it!

Oh, can I completely clear the Aquifer? If I stripmine the whole level and smooth/build walls on the edges, then there's nothing left to drip down to the next level? I could in theory remove the entire aquifer from my embark area!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55975 on: May 17, 2021, 06:53:31 pm »

Oh, can I completely clear the Aquifer? If I stripmine the whole level and smooth/build walls on the edges, then there's nothing left to drip down to the next level? I could in theory remove the entire aquifer from my embark area!

I've done that with small sections: just mine everything, and there's nothing left to drip.  Ceiling dripping on you?  Mine it out and build a floor on the Z-level above.

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55976 on: May 17, 2021, 07:21:02 pm »

The first year just passed, with no major industries set up, and I've spent hours with game paused. Over 80% of my ores, and good stones, are locked up inside of over 12z of light aquifer (I tried reveal, after enough headaches, which shows 12z, but I'm getting leaking damp stone even a few Zs lower), that go right down to the caverns. My dwarves all want to go into the farm plots to get food, instead of eating from the large store of chopped jaguar liver. Aside from my mason and farmer, my other dwarves are in a cycle of dig, replace dugout bits with constructions, wall off, eat, drink, sleep, repeat, with much dfhack (revealdesignated). Since corner walls can't be made through a diagonal opening, that entails much micromanagement. Slowest. Fort. Ever. I don't even know what I'm going to do when creatures start dying (reanimation and thralling), but that will be for another day.
I haven't really messed with aquifers much, but why not smooth the walls to stop the water? Stone detailers work fairly fast and constructions seem slower.
Much of it is soil/clay/sand. I've got a nice repetitive pattern down for ramps and stairs, now. But, then there is still a need to remove and replace floors/ceilings.

Sometimes this game can have challenges that require some boring time-consuming solutions that don't feel challenging at all to pull-off but need to be done either way, they just consume your often limited time, they're not fun and personally are one of the few things that can sap away my energy to play this game, and if you're not having fun and since you are using DF-Hack consider turning on fast-dwarf to speed up things a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A Actually, it has been a bit challenging, as dwarves will act like a job doesn't exist if the water is too deep, or they'll drop everything and run away. It's easy for stairs or ramps to start getting too filled up, and the current working area become dangerous, even in a light aquifer, given how long mining out and replacing stuff takes. Then, I have to dig more out, even knowing that's adding more squares to drip out water.

I just wish there was a way to completely disable the designation cancellations. Oh, and for my civ's queen to have huge tracts of land. Often, it's useful, but now that I'm set on digging out the damp stone, my miners should have no say in the matter. It's mostly a lo up and enter, in dfhack. But, even the revealdesignated doesn't stop the first wave of cancellations.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:23:46 pm by bucketsofbuckets »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55977 on: May 17, 2021, 11:50:22 pm »

I just wish there was a way to completely disable the designation cancellations.

It’s a bit of a hassle, but if you use DFHack you can install this script to help with that.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168607.0

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55978 on: May 18, 2021, 06:53:56 am »

There's a simpler, hassle-free way to deal with light aquifers. Dig stairways (or channel) down through it, then continue down for a while and dig off in some direction to let it drain off-map.  It usually will just evaporate before getting anywhere near the edge, though. Sure, you get some muddy stairs or ramps with "1" water on them constantly, but you never have to do all that smoothing or building walls/floors.  With stairs you'll get the bonus mist.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55979 on: May 18, 2021, 07:44:43 am »

I just wish there was a way to completely disable the designation cancellations.

It’s a bit of a hassle, but if you use DFHack you can install this script to help with that.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168607.0
That's what I'm using. It helps, but the first set of tiles they dig in any set of designated tiles so revealed, still cancel due to damp stone.
Pages: 1 ... 3730 3731 [3732] 3733 3734 ... 3835