Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5847329 times)

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55980 on: May 18, 2021, 07:59:14 am »

There's a simpler, hassle-free way to deal with light aquifers. Dig stairways (or channel) down through it, then continue down for a while and dig off in some direction to let it drain off-map.  It usually will just evaporate before getting anywhere near the edge, though. Sure, you get some muddy stairs or ramps with "1" water on them constantly, but you never have to do all that smoothing or building walls/floors.  With stairs you'll get the bonus mist.
For just moving up and down, I'm doing that, with a 2x2 down to below the aquifers, but with an atom smasher. It's the expanses of sand, clay, magnetite, and tetrahedrite that are taking the extra effort.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55981 on: May 20, 2021, 11:40:12 am »

The dwarves of Noblecrafts thought they were safe behind their stone walls and dirt moat. Outside corpses roamed the countryside waiting for any crack in the defences to tear apart the living limb from limb. Lying still were rotting bodies of Jute and Buffalo. The two heroes has sallied out to meet the undead horde to buy the rest of the dwarves time to seal entrances to the fortress and they both fought to the bitter end until their bones were so shattered not even the dark secrets of the towers could bring them back again. Though their coffins remain empty, already two great statues in their image had been carved in olivine with plaques beneath memorialising their deeds.

Few else in the community had any real military experience, except perhaps the human refugee found left behind in the prisons of abandoned Mothclobbered. Perhaps it was expected that civilians would lose their sense of alertness as they settled in for the long siege stockpiling food, drink, and arms. In any case Adamantine's sloppy bookkeeping records showed monotonous entries of stock inventories and nothing else right up until the chaos came and went filling up the hospital.

A necromancer had snuck into the pigsty!

At least that is what the dwarves agreed had happened everyone had been patched up and had a stiff drink. The pigs were gone and the intruders corpse still lay there until someone figured out what to do with it. The mason Indigo had been given a proper burial once the dwarves were sure it wasn't get back up again and start gnawing on them. They were still deciding what to do with the soon to be demoted bookkeeper's severed right hand when the doctor Claystone broke the news to Dawg and Tetrahedrite that there was something wrong with their child Dumat:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the doctor's opinion, the child should not have been able to survive his injuries and yet, while subdued in hospital, was clearly still alive. The bookkeeper, still reliving the trauma of being attacked by her own right hand, got ready to put down this undead abomination. Marble, the chief miner, stayed Adamantine with one hand while the other leaned on a crutch. Marble's eye's were glazed over and looked a completely different dwarf. "You were there. Who stuck the killing blow?".

It is the tradition amongst the dwarves of the Lashes of Marking that citizens are given a new name upon gaining adulthood that says something about them. The Fortress of Noblecrafts had over 150 bedrooms awaiting future migrants that never came for reasons unknown. With less than 25 beards, the bookkeeper had expanded her roles to include the manager of work shifts, broker of the Trade post gathering cobwebs and general expedition leader. As soon as the first pick struck the earth she had given herself the auspicious name of Adamantine. There was no democracy in Noblecrafts, but her position was appearing weak; she had sullied the memories of the true heroes who had sacrificed themselves by letting the enemy unchallenged under her watch.

The true hero of the day was the child brought back by the dark arts but who defied the would-be master of undeath. Dumat Mysteryboulder was bestowed with the name "abomination" granted citizenship (again). Only time would tell what the future would hold for him

As for the bookkeeper, well she was fond of saying she admired sheep for their tendency to flock so she would be known henceforth as 'Sheep' Theatreappeared.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55982 on: May 21, 2021, 08:12:29 am »

The fort of HopeWork got itself the strangest of strange moods: a possessed metalsmith, but none of our 6 magma forges are to his liking; he's getting near each one of them, but doesn't pick any:

I deconstruct one (for the anvil) and build a non-magma forge; still no go.

I save and reload Dwarf Fortress; still no go.

Eventually, I deconstruct all magma forges but one. This finally solves whatever analysis paralysis has possessed (heh) this little idiot.

(the white borders are 'cause I wanted to make a gif from this one too, but ScreenToGif was very harsh * in removing duplicates, and these 2 were all I had left).

* In retrospect, I may have picked the wrong option; it's like the 3rd time I ever open StG.

So, question: has anyone ever seen this before?

Since I have a save, I'll dig through the bug repo for a duplicate; if there wasn't one already, there will be, and if there is one already, one more save isn't going to hurt.

(Edit: Oh great; he made a shitty scepter).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:37:11 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55983 on: May 24, 2021, 12:56:55 pm »

Got 2 undead sieges but they both instantly left the map. Kind of convenient but also annoying. Hoping the gobbos come soon so I can test the military.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55984 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:23 am »

So, question: has anyone ever seen this before?

I have, with a choosy mason, but when I deconstructed masonry after masonry (and built every type of workshop anyone could possibly want) he eventually went mad and ran through the fort slamming doors and causing mayhem, got locked in a room in the crypts and eventually was killed by starvation. Possibly I didn't deconstruct them fast enough.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55985 on: May 25, 2021, 02:53:42 pm »

In my one year old fort (world year 6) my "talented" militia captain just killed our first forgotten beast with a warhammer.  It came in through the cavern door and very rapidly flew into the main fort levels.  As it does most of the time, the game tells the story better than I can...

The Forgotten Beast Ozor Shodukteling has come!  A great hairy bristleworm.  It has thin wings of stretched skin and it is ravening.  Its gray hair is long and straight.  Beware its poisonous bite!
`v smth Lolor 01' Onolamud, Papermaker has given birth to a girl.
`v smth Lolor 01' Onolamud, Papermaker cancels Make steel bars: Seeking Infant.
`v smth Lolor 01' Onolamud, Papermaker: I gave birth to a girl.  I suppose I should be feel adoration.
`v smth Lolor 01' Onolamud, Papermaker: I am a parent.  I do not see the bliss in this.
`v gls Tun 01' Elbellikot, militia captain cancels Pickup Equipment: Interrupted by a forgotten beast.
`v smth Lolor 01' Onolamud, Papermaker cancels Make gneiss Pot: Interrupted by a forgotten beast.
`m Libash 02' Nanirilral, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by a forgotten beast.
The forgotten beast misses the axedwarf!
The axedwarf attacks the forgotten beast but It jumps away!
The forgotten beast misses the axedwarf!
The macedwarf kicks the forgotten beast in the body with her left foot, bruising the fat!
The forgotten beast misses the macedwarf!
`A-mc Atira 00' Abod‹ngiz, Macedwarf: In the midst of conflict...  I laugh in the face of death!
The macedwarf bashes the forgotten beast in the left wing with her ðsilver maceð, bruising it!
The macedwarf strikes the forgotten beast in the body with her *ashen shield*, bruising the fat!
The macedwarf strikes the forgotten beast in the body with her *ashen shield*, bruising the fat!
The forgotten beast attacks the macedwarf but She jumps away!
The militia commander bashes the forgotten beast in the body with her ðsilver war hammerð, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
The forgotten beast misses the militia commander!
The militia commander bashes the forgotten beast in the body with her ðsilver war hammerð, bruising the muscle and bruising the brain!
The militia commander stands up.

This dwarf is a highly focused individual at 121% and now leads with 8 kills.  Nothing big of course, but it's a very young military.

(edit: She named the warhammer a couple of days later: Hustledmeadows the Faded Fire.  Huh?)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:08:46 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55986 on: May 26, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »

One of my miners got attacked by a wolverine last night while fishing (I didn't know he had that labor enabled) and annihilated it. Got a couple scratches and bites, but didn't visit the hospital.

The fact that mining skill counts as a weapon skill is only slightly OP.

I got magma forges set up in the meantime, as well as glass furnaces, so smelting and glass making operations are beginning immediately. I've only got one artifact, a leather tunic, so far. The only visitors have been monster hunters, but I haven't even opened the caverns to hunting yet, just ran into them inconveniently right where I wanted to put some bedrooms and stockpiles.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55987 on: May 26, 2021, 08:12:55 pm »

Volcano fort in the badlands, treeless and miserable.

So far we've had a half dozen artifacts. A wooden barrel covered in stone and gemstone pictures of the history of our fort, a wooden earring, a wooden ring, and a wooden cabinet with some boring decorations, and finally two nonwooden items. It's like the dorfs have gone "We can't grow trees here, and they're importing wood for things like beds. Let's use up the wood on useless artifacts!"
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55988 on: May 27, 2021, 11:20:44 am »

I'm building a legendary inn/tavern (secret fort) at a river crossing next to a road between two human cities, so that weary travellers can enjoy dwarven hospitality. Even though I only had a population of 50, I got sieged by

!!! SEVEN GOBLINS !!!

which was a good number since they all had bows or crossbows and my military didn't have any weapons. At least I had kitted them out in leather & bone armour suits so the ten of them punched all seven of them to death. I only lost a baby who was wandering outside the tavern perimeter alone, for some reason and one of my militia dwarves.

Also, any ideas on what I should add to make it a legendary inn/tavern? It's going to be 2-floors, with workshops/stables/farms on ground floor and dancefloor, bedrooms, on the upper floor, with a dwarven underfort below for metal production and plump helmets etc.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55989 on: May 27, 2021, 01:31:57 pm »

5x5 embark with a partial reanimating biome, year 6 of the world.

The 4th wave (15 migrants) arrived and some of them walked through drifting profane fog, becoming thralls with incredible strength & agility, but zero endurance. They began killing each other and the unaffected migrants that were too slow. 7 migrants made it into the fort, the doors were locked, and the 2 "living" fog thralls didn't get in. One dead migrant reanimated as a plain corpse.

How tough are those thralls?  1st squad (2 hammers, mace, axe, spear) sent outside the wall to find out. The 2 thralls are put down, with our militia captain & the axedwarf in the hospital with smashed feet & legs.  Well, they don't have leg armor or gauntlets yet anyway, so that's expected.  The migrant corpse came shambling next, so the reserve squad (leather armored) dispatched it without incident. By this time, the profane fog had dissipated so the danger was gone.

No, it's not much, but his was my most fun migrant wave yet!

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55990 on: May 27, 2021, 02:53:49 pm »

Also, any ideas on what I should add to make it a legendary inn/tavern? It's going to be 2-floors, with workshops/stables/farms on ground floor and dancefloor, bedrooms, on the upper floor, with a dwarven underfort below for metal production and plump helmets etc.

Bedrooms are always great, although I put in occasional built-but-unassigned beds in likely corners for those dorfs who don't want to go to their personal bedroom to sleep for whatever reason. Also possibly commission some relevant statuary, showing the history of the fort and its citizens? And large instrument installation. I once spent years in a fort making a full-on gamelan and installing the massive thing in the throne room. Gosh those things have a lot of bells! Last of all, if it's feasable, a well and a mist generator bring many rooms to the next level. I've started adding water features of various types to my temples, thanks to the recommendation of someone here on the forum. I think it makes them more interesting places for the dorfs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55991 on: May 28, 2021, 04:51:05 am »

A vile force of darkness showed up and I got all excited, thinking either my rag-tag military would have a chance to prove themselves or this failure of a fort would finally be put of of its misery, but it looks like these goblins are all just unarmed "recruits" clad in loincloths.   
Really makes you think, doesn't it - perhaps the goblins have similar methods for disposing of troublesome citizens to ours.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55992 on: May 28, 2021, 11:52:59 am »

Last of all, if it's feasable, a well and a mist generator bring many rooms to the next level. I've started adding water features of various types to my temples, thanks to the recommendation of someone here on the forum. I think it makes them more interesting places for the dorfs.
Oh wow, I would never have thought of that! But now that you've brought it up, I'm obsessed! Yeah, every bedroom will have running water in the form of a well and the inn lobby will need a waterfall/mist generator. Thanks!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55993 on: May 30, 2021, 01:18:23 am »

So in sharp contrast to all of you having weak sieges of naked goblins, my latest world has this gem:

Yeah, a goblin civilization that invades yearly with CLOWN SOLDIERS. (How does that even happen? I've never seen it in a decade of playing--a "God" comes, sure, but troops of the things?)

Some of them have fire, others deadly dust. I am in the "let's decorate the counts bedroom" stage of the fort and have basically locked myself underground each time it happened until they left.

Nice world too--the goblins conquered a bunch of dwarven civilizations, so yearly goblinite donations actually include steel, and there are necromancers and books with secrets of life and death in the world.  No mods either.  I am happy to upload if someone reminds me where/how one shares worlds.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 01:26:55 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #55994 on: May 30, 2021, 02:12:37 am »

My best guess would be that these goblins are from the civs formed from mining disasters in worldgen, hence all the clowns.
Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 3836