Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3735 3736 [3737] 3738 3739 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852158 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56040 on: June 19, 2021, 12:06:52 pm »

You can also have say, a dedicated decoration jeweler shop who only takes materials from a linked stockpile. Set it to not accept manager-generated jobs as well.

That way you can just set the linked stockpile to only accept masterwork gold rings or whatever you're after for encrusting, etc. They get put in the stockpile, and only those are used.

Yeah, I've tried using the manager to regulate stuff, and I've gotten it to work with bone decorations fairly well.  The main problem with gems is that I seem to need a pretty big stockpile to hold the cut gems which makes things inefficient, because stockpile linking with cut gems plays very very very poorly with bins.  Every time I try to use bins to make space usage more efficient something breaks.  I've also tried using burrows, but that leads to problems too.  Linking a stockpile with goods while not linking a stockpile with gems seems to create a ton of cancellation spam because the stupid dorf can't find the cut gems, probably expecting another linked stockpile for those. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56041 on: June 19, 2021, 07:29:50 pm »

I’m beginning to suspect that embarking carefully in order to bring more food and drink may not be all it’s cracked up to be.  It seems to me, that if you “embark now!”  and then set up your farming, gathering, and brewing as soon as you can, that you can generate just as much extra food and drink in the time it takes the dwarves in the fortress where you “embarked carefully” to haul all the extra stuff underground…
The extra food is nice. Not really neccesary because food production in DF is very OP. Not even terribly useful.

One of the reasons I do it so that I can have a variety of booze, each kind of which comes in it's own barrel. I always run out of barrels. I have had forts run out of boze because I ran out of barrels and didn't notice.

I really like having 3-5 miners on the team, which means I need 3-5 picks. There's nothing to do on day one except dig the moat, and dig the fort, why waste months of game-time waiting for the caravan and then hope they brought copper picks with no decoration rather than steel encrusted with diamonds?

Mostly I do it to pick skills. Early-game economics works so much better if you max out your stonecrafter in the embark screen, and then start feeding him junk rock from three miners to turn into mugs. Add in a dedicated farmer/booze dude, one person with weapon skills in the one weapon I bought, a diagnoser to be the Doctor, and a couple random extra skills where it's useful to get one level, and I'm happy.

Also, if I pick livestock I want a breeding pair. The RNG does not like to give me breeding pairs.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56042 on: June 20, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »

Here's our latest artifact:

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56043 on: June 21, 2021, 01:01:46 am »

Welcome to Chamberweakened!

Dogs are stupid:

And now the other one:

And here's our first Arfifact:

That's all for now, I'm a bit busy preparing to equip my first squad of axedwarves!

Edit:  One of my rangers got a mood and now my fps is hovering around 2~3 for some unexplained reason.  I tried saving and going back in to see if that would clear it up, but the problem is still there.  If it doesn't clear up after the mood is done, I may have to abandon this fortress. >:(

Edit2:  I unforbid a bunch of stone and that seems to have fixed the problem.  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:33:05 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56044 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:00 am »

I sent out some of my militias to get rid of a Fire Imp problem down in the magma forges. Due to the design of the fortress being renovated, they have to pass through the tavern to get to the lower parts of the mine. However, has they passed, they started to smack down some of our visitors and our citizens for some goddamn reason. And after that, they smacked anyone who was on their path. For no goddamn reason.
I stopped right there, I'm pretty sure if I come back, there's gonna be a civil war.
Too bad! The fortress was going alright.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56045 on: June 22, 2021, 05:59:36 pm »

We have finally walled in about 30z of extensive diagonal cavern! The walls descend to the water level in one corner, and ascend to lofty heights on several different sides. It has taken a massive number of clay bricks, and the arrival of no less than 5 forgotten beasts (no dusts, but the poisonous blood 'saurus who painted the walls before finally kicking the bucket was a problem) and the deaths of about 25 dorfs. We now have the upper cavern to ourselves!!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Ihtomyt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56046 on: June 27, 2021, 08:41:12 pm »

I have made a new fort recently, and at the time of this story unfolding, the fort is hardly 9 months old. I had some difficulty with an aquifer, despite it being a light aquifer, because the dwarves refused to build the walls fast enough due to constantly drinking and other things at very bad times, so I was quite behind on setting up defenses or military even more than usual for so early on. I had, however, acquired a fairly nice book, a tome called Mysteries of the Mountainhalls. It's a copy, with cheerful but amateurish prose, but on giant cave toad leather and encrusted with gems. It's not the stuff of legends to be sure, but it was, at the time, our only book and means of abstract thinking. It was also worth 2500 dwarf bucks, which we traded for fair and square.

As it would turn out, SOMEONE who shall remain nameless forgot to keep the library secretly restricted to only citizens, and a human scholar arrived shortly after we put it on the shelf in the new "Library of Crafting" (an uninspired name for an equally uninspired single bookshelf with a single book in the middle of the single stockpile). Fearing theft, we promptly had to set up a military to murder this "intruder" of course. We had nothing but woodcutting axes and mining picks, so we had to tell the miners and woodcutters to drop them on the ground, sanctifying them for military use, and then pick them up again to form a squad. I kid you not, the randomly generated name for this ragtag bunch of miners and tree-fellers with no military skills or discipline at all was... The Mountains of Respect!

By the time the Mountains of Respect caught up with him, the human had made his way into our meeting hall. Perhaps even though they were untrained, 10 of them all piling up around him with the doors locked on either side was overkill... he was unarmed and unarmored, but he was wearing some goblin bone and hair accessories, so, I'd seen crazier things in other worlds than dwarves being horribly mangled or take forever to kill supposedly weak beings before. It turned out to be overkill indeed though, as the Mountains of Respect immediately killed the human infiltrator with two swings, one pick tearing his guts, and one pick penetrating his skull. No injuries (at least not physical ones, as I am still seeing memories of this event in thoughts a year later) were incurred by any dwarves, and the blood, clothes, and corpse were quickly disposed of.

I looked in legends mode and swapping the save folder back (which I don't consider cheating, but to be great fun to see such intrigue, and one of the main points of playing for me). It turns out I was not over-reacting and killing a nice scholar who just wanted to write books in our fort. I knew right away since his blood didn't match his reported name. He was an agent, a murderer, a thief, had some prior military experience, and he had corrupted our legendary stonecrafter to his cause on his way through the halls (a short-lived arrangement to be sure). NO ONE messes with the Mountains of Respect!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:42:46 pm by Ihtomyt »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56047 on: June 29, 2021, 01:35:21 pm »

I just love the humor in this incredible game!  Thanks Toady & ThreeToe!

My current fort seems to have a sheep theme going on.  Three FB's roaming the caverns at this time, two are really baa-aa-aa-d.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56048 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:34 pm »

Planelashes fell to alligators before the entry tunnel could be completed.

At least it was !!FUN!!

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56049 on: June 30, 2021, 09:51:07 am »

I just love the humor in this incredible game!  Thanks Toady & ThreeToe!

My current fort seems to have a sheep theme going on.  Three FB's roaming the caverns at this time, two are really baa-aa-aa-d.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess if you form a squad to deal with them, it would have to be called the Little Bo Peeps.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56050 on: July 01, 2021, 02:54:10 am »

Hey, it can happen.  For example, in one of my more recent forts I had a noble that liked bolts, and I had a lot of active training for my marksdwarves going on.  If you can't get a noble that has no item likes to spawn mandates, you can at least try for someone who's going to demand something you'll be cranking out by the gross anyway.

My last artifact created was a silver sarcophagus, that's good for the ruling noble's tomb.  If I don't get good weapon or armor artifacts, I'll settle for furniture, because those will at least jack up the value of noble quarters.
This.  I think my favorite mayor (and subsequent noble) was one who was obsessed with bucklers, constantly demanded bucklers, and banned the export of bucklers.  Because I'm obsessed with bucklers, constantly demand bucklers, and would never even consider selling one to a filthy elf.  My least favorite was obsessed with earrings.  That guy took a bath in magma.
3.  Get soap production set up (I meant to due it this time and even had a reservoir and aqueduct all mines out below a a well room next to what would have become my hospital, but I lost the fortress before that could happen).
Congratulations on figuring out one of the most important things in the game.  You think, well, obviously, I need absolutely awesome weapons and armor and other epic fantasy stuff.

Only to realize none of this is worth anything if your elite military is dying of infections because you don't have any soap.  The bar of soap is your best weapon, while a flagon of ale is your best shield.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 03:06:03 am by muldrake »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56051 on: July 01, 2021, 06:24:33 am »

My last artifact created was a silver sarcophagus, that's good for the ruling noble's tomb.  If I don't get good weapon or armor artifacts, I'll settle for furniture, because those will at least jack up the value of noble quarters.

That's what pedestals (and display cabinets) are for. But put a chain in the nobles quarters too, with a war animal on the chain, so that the useless expensive artifact wooden amulet won't be stolen.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56052 on: July 01, 2021, 06:45:36 am »

That's what pedestals (and display cabinets) are for. But put a chain in the nobles quarters too, with a war animal on the chain, so that the useless expensive artifact wooden amulet won't be stolen.

Actually, last i played, displayed items to not improve room quality. They *do* raise guild hall / temple value.

The wiki agrees with me: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pedestal

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56053 on: July 01, 2021, 05:13:36 pm »

My new fort has had problems, but things have gone amazingly well... So well it is twisted.
1. The forgotten breast trap room has worked so well the beasts are rated lower than goblin scum
2. Goblins invaded but were beaten by un-armed militia-dwarves with 3 losses total.
3. My Marksdwarves are to be feared, these guys have racked up more kills than anyone or anything else moving.
4. A farmers guild was established, I gave them a vacant room... Urist McBrewdwarf decided to hold a "brewing demonstration" and 3/4 of the fort showed up, then proceeded to give birth.
5. Dwarves are giving birth everywhere... EVERYWHERE! Population 119 with 45 dwarf children and growing by the minute! It was 52 but a dwarf went insane and killed a few.
6. Dwarf mentioned in #6 slaughtered a few dwarf children but was torn limb from bloody limb by a hellish swarm of dwarven children, he died badly. Very badly.
7. My dwarves have successfully managed to cause no less than 14 cave ins to date on my "fort project." One died.
8. The mayor keeps screaming about "floodgates, we need floodgats!" But I think he is confusing floodgates with condoms at this point.
9. Mayor keeps sentencing random dwarves to 45 days for "production violations," but I know the truth: he is trying to keep the male population from "interacting" with the abundant and overly fertile female population.
10. Dwarves ate every speck of food in the fort due to population boom, had to vastly increase farming area, this only spurred the hornbearded bastards to new heights of reproduction.
11. A goblin diplomat (they conquered the humans nearby) arrived, sat in the "meeting hall" for the whole of 3 minutes and after watching the fort population double before his eyes got up and left.

This fort was supposed to be a "frontier fort" for colonizing a new region of the world... My dwarves gave the whole "colonizing" thing a whole new meaning and I think the goblins are glad they are far away because Armok forbid a female human or goblin enter the fort.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56054 on: July 01, 2021, 06:12:19 pm »

Well, Bodicecoast (which was nowhere near the ocean) fell in pretty much the exact same way as Planelashes.

Does anybody know of a way to keep alligators off of bridges and out of entry tunnels?
Pages: 1 ... 3735 3736 [3737] 3738 3739 ... 3836