Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3737 3738 [3739] 3740 3741 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789083 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56070 on: July 06, 2021, 12:02:02 am »

The latest raiding party from Ringlabor has acquired what appears to be a tome of elven smut:

"An Exploration Of The Elf was a legendary pinfire opal-bound codex...The written portion consists of a 20 page essay entitled An Exploration of the Elf, authored by Eliye Releasemoths. It concerns the marriage of the elf Lefari Renownpoem and the elf Eliye Releasemoths in 116. The writing indulges the author's every whim. Overall, the prose is passable."

Passable prose or not, it's quite a hit with the scholars; the scribes have already made two copies.

50 Shades of Grey Elf?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56071 on: July 06, 2021, 01:13:41 pm »

My last artifact created was a silver sarcophagus, that's good for the ruling noble's tomb.  If I don't get good weapon or armor artifacts, I'll settle for furniture, because those will at least jack up the value of noble quarters.

That's what pedestals (and display cabinets) are for. But put a chain in the nobles quarters too, with a war animal on the chain, so that the useless expensive artifact wooden amulet won't be stolen.

My ruling countess has an artifact bed loaded down with gem spikes.  I hope she's comfortable on it.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56072 on: July 06, 2021, 06:27:31 pm »

My ruling countess has an artifact bed loaded down with gem spikes.  I hope she's comfortable on it.
[/quote]

Mmmmm, kinkkyyyy... Sounds like you have a dominatrix in your fort.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56073 on: July 06, 2021, 07:16:19 pm »

Inodnal (Gatehour) AKA BREEDING FORT 1.
-Dwarven children made up 1/3 of population.
-Goblins come...
-Realize that the MAIN GATE lever was never finished because a dwarf tantrumed rather than do their job so it got canceled.
-Vile Force of Darkness arrives. They brought trolls.
-Trolls breaking down stone door because dwarves REFUSE to put up emergency wall. They want to chase XXsockXX
-Cancel everything in fort. Everything.
-Dwarves still refuse to put up emergency wall.
-Trolls proceed to shatter door and enter fort, goblin horde swarms in.
-Militia is NOT prepared for this, at all.
-100% casualties.
-Mass conscription of dwarves who were supposed to do their job and refused.
-90% casualties.
-More conscripts in last ditch attempt to stop the horde.
-Promotions are basically working on the "Oh your still alive? Congratulations Commander!" Then five seconds later to the guy next to him "Congratulations on your promotion!" I imagine dwarves were breaking down crying when they found out they got promoted.
-No weapons available so they have to pick up whatever weapons the dead dropped.
"When the dwarf in front of you dies... The dwarf behind picks up the rifle and loads it! When he is dead... The dwarf behind him picks up the rifle and shoots!"
-50% casualties and the siege is broken.
-Dead dwarves absolutely everywhere including one cat.
-Goblins had even managed to infiltrate a tower because dwarves REFUSED to finish 1 stone section for any reason what so ever. Tell the survivors to get off their rear ends and get it done. They do.
-Apparently all the "troublesome" dwarves are now dead.
-Sadly ALL my masons, smiths, important dwarves are KIA. All of them. ALL. LEGENDARY ones.
-Life settles in, catacombs absolutely explode in size.
-Mayor (new, old one KIA) somehow survived the war despite being tossed into the front line twice during the siege (phase 2 & 3) Apparently he is an "old soldier" with a named elf "Mame" to his name. He mandates nothing. Ever.
-Dwarves go a little insane, one commits suicide, the other few just brood.
-Children now 85% of population.
-Coffin Maker is now THE job. That and ditch digger.
-Dwarf child loses entire family. I mean it, they all moved to the fort... All of em... All dead. She is the last survivor of the entire family line. Gets moody and makes a ring to honor her ancestors. Becomes legendary.
-Another dwarf who lost their entire family (leather worker conscript Phase 3) goes moody and makes a quiver named Nasbekar (Undips). You know what he stamps into its leather surface? A lever! The one thing that would have saved so many lives. A LEVER! Really fancy quiver though.
-Fort dumps off wave 1 battle debris on human caravan.
-Fort dumps wave 2 debris on dwarven caravan and the trader is so ecstatic he is jumping for joy.
-CITY... (hhaahhaa, yeah, we were a city before the war) Is now doing what it had started before the invasion: smelting steel. Sadly no legendary smiths left alive to utilize the steel but we are hopeful things will improve.
-Food stocks are 2500+ Dwarven Meals Ready to Eat (DMRE) and 1000+ alcohol to tide us over.
-The vast fortress is now... Empty. BUT! The humans brought a flock of ravens that I requested and now we have a raven population!

All is normal. It was inevitable.

Addendum:
Dwarven engravers (new) have begun covering the walls with depictions of dwarves dying during "The Routed Siege" that wiped out most of the forts population. Apparently it was so deadly it became a legendary event.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:38:28 pm by vekar »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56074 on: July 08, 2021, 03:50:29 pm »

Four separate wars and all the civilizations in question have at least 50 settlements each

The more settlements I raze the more they found later.
It's exasperating! I'm training migrants and sending them to seize major locations like forts and such, but there aren't enough migrant waves to get this job done anytime soon

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56075 on: July 09, 2021, 04:55:23 am »

While digging the 20-level-deep shaft for my Dodge-Em Trap, I realized that on level 11 it passes right by the walls of one of my Temples, and not just ANY Temple... it's the Temple of the God of Murder!

So I knocked out part of the wall and replaced it with Glass Blocks. Now the worshippers of the God of Murder can watch doomed invaders plummet shrieking down the shaft to a Big Splat ten levels below.

I think I'll put in a bar, as well.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpaceKitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56076 on: July 09, 2021, 05:29:27 am »

Savagebogs started as an expedition sent to reclaim the untamed wilderness and now is established as an advanced outpost.

After a couple skirmishes with hordes of undead, the dwarves spent an absurd amount of time digging a very deep pit capable of dealing with a whole siege, with many drawbridges arranged in a labyrinth design.
Only to be left alone by their neighbours, which is frustrating.

They needed to test their design anyway with a horse. 35 levels deeper, the poor creature exploded on impact, as expected.

But this trap needs flesh.

Putting together a militia, soldiers are sent poking around nearby towers and soldiers bring home their spoils, mostly books. Enough to build a library, which is curiously an instant success with many dwarves discovering a new passion for prose. Most of the population now spends time reading, thinking of relocating the tavern nearby.

10 years on, reading is nice but dwarves are getting bored.

One in particular, Rigoth.

She's been feeling blue lately, having lost all taste for this uneventful life. She tried a few things here and there but melancholy is stronger than anything.
She knows of the pit, she helped building it, and found a way to be promoted as a militia commander, giving herself an excuse to keep some kind of watch over the fortress entrance, while arranging to have someone pull a lever and help her meet her fate.
She wore her favourite dress for the occasion and kenaf won't do much to protect from such a fall. Her soul leaves her body in a very instant and gory way.

But what Rigoth didn't expect is that the reason why the library was such a success is because its books contain the secrets of life and death.
Half the population is now enlightened and avidly looking forward to experimenting with their new skills, but subjects are scarce. Without much action happening in the region, everything is alive, there's nothing to resurrect.

That was until Rigoth's suicide. Hordes of necromancers rushed to the pit and a strange gesture later, Rigoth is instantly brought back from the dead.

Her left upper leg is gone. Her right upper leg is gone. Her left upper arm is gone. Her right upper arm is gone. Her neck is gone.

Rigoth is a now a living trunk, back in the ranks.

Savagebogs won't tolerate any kind of defection

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56077 on: July 09, 2021, 04:37:59 pm »

While digging the 20-level-deep shaft for my Dodge-Em Trap, I realized that on level 11 it passes right by the walls of one of my Temples, and not just ANY Temple... it's the Temple of the God of Murder!

So I knocked out part of the wall and replaced it with Glass Blocks. Now the worshippers of the God of Murder can watch doomed invaders plummet shrieking down the shaft to a Big Splat ten levels below.

I raise a keg to you for you my boy are finally thinking like a Dorf.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56078 on: July 09, 2021, 04:41:33 pm »

-snipped-

Well... Aint that just... Colorful and cheerful. Cant wait to see the results of your first tantrum spiral when they accuse each other of treason.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56079 on: July 09, 2021, 05:24:23 pm »

The bar is the cherry on top!
Cheers!

SpaceKitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56080 on: July 09, 2021, 10:01:32 pm »

-snipped-

Well... Aint that just... Colorful and cheerful. Cant wait to see the results of your first tantrum spiral when they accuse each other of treason.

I already had a taste of the problems brought by necromancers:
First goblin siege, about 80 invaders.

The pit trap is working wonderfully. The whole siege gets stuck between the two bridges, and the lever is pulled for the 35 level fall.
Most of them die instantly, except for a few stragglers, four or five. I then send my squads downstairs to finish them off.

The fight breaks in the middle of the pit and its gory mess and the game basically comes to a halt. There aren't that many but necromancers from both sides are stuck in some kind of a loop reviving every single piece of bone, hair, nailclip they can find.

Stuck at 3 seconds per frame and with no end in view, I had to restore a previous save.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56081 on: July 11, 2021, 07:18:20 am »

playing my own mod, includes drows and beastmen.

Noticed that the nearby beastmen civilisation, is led by someone with the title "Patriarch/Elf Drunk"...

Well... that might explain how an elf became the leader of a civilisation of beastmen...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56082 on: July 11, 2021, 01:40:44 pm »

Hailing from The Wordy Door, the dwarves of The Lashes of Fury have arrived at a spot in The Jungles of Rain in The Land of Curiosity, and have decided to call the place Empiresbrass.

(Note that there is no waterfall as I had problems with them in my previous embark.)

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56083 on: July 11, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »

Apparently, choosing a site without waterfalls didn't quite help like I expected it to...

Anyways, the latest migrant wave brought a remarkable newcomer:

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56084 on: July 12, 2021, 03:31:11 am »

Apparently, choosing a site without waterfalls didn't quite help like I expected it to...

I didn't know carp is murderous again!

Anyways, the latest migrant wave brought a remarkable newcomer:
Spoiler: snip (click to show/hide)

A very zealous doctor, if I may say so myself. Those old customs are constraining, she can and wants to do so much more.
Pages: 1 ... 3737 3738 [3739] 3740 3741 ... 3835