Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3742 3743 [3744] 3745 3746 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789020 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56145 on: August 03, 2021, 04:29:14 pm »

In the spring of the year 125 of The World of Cyclones, The Learned Wheels, hailing from The Lances of Culminating, founded a fortress in The Odorous Hills of The Land of Celebrations and called their new home Mirrorsplashed.

Strike the earth!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56146 on: August 04, 2021, 12:32:49 am »

It's been a little over a year and Mirrorsplashed now has two artifacts.

Unfortunately, the second artifact was from a possession...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56147 on: August 06, 2021, 03:24:59 pm »

First death in fort. Well, not exactly, they ain't dead yet. Just insane. First strange mood of the fort decided to possess a glassmaker. On a map with no sand. Whilst we hadn't built a glass furnace either.

Naturally, I walled them in, and started making steel weapons for my first few militiadwarves just in case. Just as a human caravan(carrying sand, even!) was setting up shop, they snapped and went stark raving mad. Leaving them in there until they starve. But at least I have cause to design the public crypts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56148 on: August 07, 2021, 08:56:22 am »

I love dwarf fortress.

Some poor bard comes to my fortress to play at the Inn, however, the drawbridge is up as an ancient titan is storming around the countryside.

The bard has been working on his masterwork - a book - entitled "My thoughts on the dark fortress"

The titan finds him, rips his arm off, sending all his possessions everywhere. It spots the book and then picks it up and clubs the bard to death with it.

It then goes on to also kill 2 horses with it that were just meandering by.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56149 on: August 07, 2021, 11:55:34 am »

some amphibian men occasionally visit my fortress, but... all they do is lurk in one of the ponds outside, they never come into the fortress itself...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56150 on: August 07, 2021, 03:30:57 pm »

Mined a single tile in the caverns that opened up walking access the lower reaches. Almost immediately a Giant Cave Spider comes up. I forbid everything down there to keep my dwarves out and let the half-dozen or so monster slayers that have joined go do their actual job. One managed to injure one of its legs with a crossbow bolt, before several gallons of venom was injected into his face. Then the rest sorta just wandered off into the caverns. Another slayer got killed by a giant cave toad.

If nothing else, the poor dumb bastards are buying me time to set up cage traps.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56151 on: August 08, 2021, 07:31:02 am »

Mined a single tile in the caverns that opened up walking access the lower reaches. Almost immediately a Giant Cave Spider comes up. I forbid everything down there to keep my dwarves out and let the half-dozen or so monster slayers that have joined go do their actual job. One managed to injure one of its legs with a crossbow bolt, before several gallons of venom was injected into his face. Then the rest sorta just wandered off into the caverns. Another slayer got killed by a giant cave toad.

If nothing else, the poor dumb bastards are buying me time to set up cage traps.
My first thoughts upon seeing a giant cave spider aren't "I have to protect my dwarves from this monster," it's "I have to protect this monster from my dwarves." Giant cave spiders are fragile creatures and their population is low. Many times my plans to have tame giant cave spiders wandering around have been ruined by some brave hauler (with no combat skills even) killing an innocent spider before it can reach my cage traps.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56152 on: August 08, 2021, 08:20:06 am »

Gravearmor is now in its 12th year and has 279 citizens (incl. 10 humans).
Finishing up a new tower placed in the path of all the goblin attacks to give the crossbowdorfs a chance to soften them up early.

A crippled former soldier, Amost, is an accomplished engraver but can now only crawl.  It was sad to watch her laboriously drag herself ~100 tiles to carve a fortification in the tower... only to find that the last aboveground construction entrance had been sealed off.  Well, she Amost made it.  She touched the wall, sighed, then headed all the way back toward the underground passage that is now the only tower access.  Do you think she'll make the ~200 tile trip before needing a break?

(edit: She made it.  ...  it's also interesting to see 156 dwarfs all dumping stone into a QSP at the same time.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 10:40:46 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56153 on: August 09, 2021, 01:39:21 am »

The fort of HopeWork has  been reclaimed 5 years ago, and nothing spawned in its caverns ever since. I am inordinately disappointed; there go my plans of a fully trained voracious cave crawler army...

I have to settle for a fully trained dwarven army; probably far more effective, but nowhere near as cool.

Just to make it clear, there are still spawns on the surface; but the first and third cave, which were revealed in the original play-through, have spawned exactly nothing. I even went looking for the second cave, and it too has no spawns...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:41:36 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56154 on: August 09, 2021, 07:22:29 am »

The fort of HopeWork has  been reclaimed 5 years ago, and nothing spawned in its caverns ever since. I am inordinately disappointed; there go my plans of a fully trained voracious cave crawler army...

If you have DFHack, the region-pops command would allow you to to investigate and possibly change that, if the problem is that all those animals are site extinct in your game. That would be kinda unusual unless the site was really very old. But maybe there is a bug.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56155 on: August 09, 2021, 08:48:11 am »

If you have DFHack, the region-pops command would allow you to to investigate and possibly change that, if the problem is that all those animals are site extinct in your game. That would be kinda unusual unless the site was really very old. But maybe there is a bug.

Judicious use of region-pops list-all shows this to be the case -- all my cavern fauna is deader than disco:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56156 on: August 09, 2021, 03:29:56 pm »

I thought things continually spawned, or is that only in Adventure mode?

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56157 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:24 pm »

Judicious use of region-pops list-all shows this to be the case -- all my cavern fauna is deader than disco:

I guess this would be a natural/expected consequence of an actually-simulating fort that had that cavern layer open for some (large) number of years. Was the fort in operation for some decades or centuries before you reclaimed it? If so, score one for Toady for including that detail in world gen, or at least the site reclamation mechanics.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56158 on: August 10, 2021, 01:36:31 am »

I guess this would be a natural/expected consequence of an actually-simulating fort that had that cavern layer open for some (large) number of years. Was the fort in operation for some decades or centuries before you reclaimed it? If so, score one for Toady for including that detail in world gen, or at least the site reclamation mechanics.

Fort's been around of ~25 years (20 years first run, then half a year in adventure mode, then the rest after reclaiming). And there was this one forgotten beast in a nook of the first cavern that kept annihilating the local fauna...

On the other hand, when I retired the fort the first time, spawning was perfectly functional.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56159 on: August 10, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »

Playing again after some time away from the game. A new world and a new fortress... and again I'm being flooded with an endless stream of undead infiltrators.

I checked the Legends for some clues about this and it appears that they're all after an artifact alpaca wool thong named... Shameappear.  Right after my now-Legendary clothier Ral Shipfortress created it back in 298, no less than ten different necromancers started plotting to steal it from my mayor's undergarment drawer.

Funny thing is that Shameappear is the cheapest, most basic beginner artifact in the whole fortress. The fort is basically filled to brim with wondrous treasures, each worth a small kingdom, but no one cares about those. No, it's the thong they all want. Kinky bunch, those necroes.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 3742 3743 [3744] 3745 3746 ... 3835