Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3744 3745 [3746] 3747 3748 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788698 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56175 on: August 15, 2021, 03:34:40 pm »

Today I did some modding to my game.  Found a mod that added prehistoric creatures.  But also made sure both genders among my Dwarves wore beards AND decided to make a new 'caste' - a non-gender Dwarf. 

I have a book, called Toolmaker Koan by John McLoughlin, in which a alien race has a third gender called drones - who are non-gender beings.  They spend all their free time and energy working as engineers and scientists.  I figured that making non-gender Dwarves would, at least, be interesting.  And produce less freeloading children.
But it brought up a question - if all my Dwarves look alike how do the artists who create the images and statues make it easy to tell genders?  I can only assume that the Gods, Goddesses, and Deities are in the nude in religious artwork.   :o

I'm sorry, I'm confused: How does "both genders among my Dwarves wore beards" lead to "...if all my Dwarves look alike"? It's not like you went all The Left Hand of Darkness and made them all the fascinating inhabitants of Gethen. Men and women, even clothed, often don't look identical when wearing beards (or not wearing them). Having both vanilla genders doesn't even require modification, you can change that in the _init files, which are basically the preferences (I haven't really modded much, especially not in the 0.45 game, but I always turn female dwarf beards on, I see it as more dwarfy, and I love finding out a dwarf has braided her beard!). Obviously your third gender (cool!) could well look dissimilar to males and to females just as males and females often look dissimilar to each other. Is there a extra modification you didn't menton, to make all three genders and all dwarfs suddenly look identical to each other? Why do their statues have to be naked? I mean, many Earth sculptures are, many are not, and we still can tell who they are statues of even when the statues are clothed. Or am I missing some important point?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56176 on: August 15, 2021, 04:08:58 pm »

I mean I too assume statues and figurines are depicted nude by default. But you gotta remember, dwarf fortress doesn't create sexual dimorphism in its programming, raws, or clothing. They really do, in terms of how they're programmed, look alike, especially if you gave females beards. You can force obvious differences if you mod the game, but by default it treats all the castes the same.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56177 on: August 15, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »

which meant that prisoners had several other prisoners to talk to but then...
That was your biggest mistake, you put a bunch of people who were arrested for commiting crimes and conspiring against your fortress in one place, what do you think they're gonna try and do?

I'm not sure, but... I don't think this helped...

¨nathisasifi was seen being passed to a thief!
Asithi Thatemefis£, Bone Carver has gone berserk!
The lady faint butcher waves dismissively!
The leader necromancer clenches a fist!
The dwarf metalsmith faint butcher waves dismissively!
The human bard faint butcher waves dismissively!
The goblin bard falls over.
The human poet once-resting stalker points!
The human dancer faint butcher waves dismissively!
The human poet once-resting stalker makes a flicking motion!
The bone carver grimaces!
The human poet once-resting stalker holds up hand!
The bone carver freezes!

There was 6MB of combat logs after that bit...

I think next time, I'm just going to shoot any intelligent undead on sight, hostile or not...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56178 on: August 15, 2021, 06:06:00 pm »

I think next time, I'm just going to shoot any intelligent undead on sight, hostile or not...
As an experiment I've been checking visitors against the Legends for several forts now. So far there hasn't been a single undead visitor who wasn't a part of some nefarious plot against my fortress. Not a single one, and I've checked probably hundreds by now.
Shoot on sight might really be the only correct policy for any undead visitors. And probably for most of the living visitors as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:42:58 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56179 on: August 16, 2021, 11:13:53 am »

I discovered encrusting the chains with gemstones, and plating them with precious metals, does massive things for the cheerfulness of dorfs paying for their crimes, making them more capable of going on with their life after they finally get released. Rehabilitation works!
This is the best idea I've seen here in a long time.  I've been focusing on giving every single dorf a palatial estate of their own, but this is an even better idea.  Focus the luxury on those who actually need it.  From now on, I am turning every jail cell into a mansion!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56180 on: August 16, 2021, 05:21:58 pm »

I discovered encrusting the chains with gemstones, and plating them with precious metals, does massive things for the cheerfulness of dorfs paying for their crimes, making them more capable of going on with their life after they finally get released. Rehabilitation works!
This is the best idea I've seen here in a long time.  I've been focusing on giving every single dorf a palatial estate of their own, but this is an even better idea.  Focus the luxury on those who actually need it.  From now on, I am turning every jail cell into a mansion!

I once had the chains spaced around a well with an artifact mechanism, which gave every dorf who used it a really happy thought. They were in reach of food not booze, and it was interesting watching them go "I'm thirsty. Augh there's only water. Yay I used the well of extreme happiness!" at intervals....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56181 on: August 16, 2021, 07:50:34 pm »

The Civilization of The Comedic Knife sent out the The Sprayed Glaze to set up a outpost near the south pole, on a taiga.  The Dwarves found a mountain near a ever-frozen river and dug in.  This small series of underground chambers, ramps, and workshops was given the name of Pulleypulled.

The wagon was dismantled and the food, equipment, and all items were brought inside.  The draft animals, a male Parasaurolophus and a female Edmontosaurus, along with a Tom turkey and two turkey hens stayed outside in the snow storm till underground pens were made for them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funny enough the Velociraptors didn't seem to have a issue with the snow and started killing small vermin and bringing back the tiny corpses to their masters right away.  While only two out of the five were trained for warfare they still proved deadly against the small creatures.  The snowscape held a mixture of small mammals and tiny dinosaurs.

The cold land had pines to cut down and plants to collect.  Inside the mountain a shared bedroom, with seven beds and seven cabinets, was made and a small dining room/tavern for the first seven was also carved out. 

Even while some the Dwarves slept in the one bedroom more rocks are dug away and seven future bedrooms were shaped.  Some wet stone was found and plans were made to make channels and tunnels to create a safe, underground, well with free flowing water.  Gems were already being pulled out of the living rock and cut for future trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only danger detected so far were two female Daeodons outside.  One of the creatures was on the thin side and the other had tuffs of fur missing.  Tough animals designed to live in a harsh land - but once the Dwarves had more numbers and proper weapons the giant pigs would just end up on the menu.

Eggs were already being produced and farming plots already growing plump helmets.  The Dwarves had more seeds available but were just happy to have snow free beds, tables to eat on, and drinks to consume.  But they knew things would be tough.  The land outside was frozen all year round.  What they could not grow, find in the earth, or craft most be received from caverns. 

Of course the export product would be mugs.  Everybody loved mugs!  And so the Dwarves happy, in their freshly made outpost, worked away as the weather outside went from snow storm to clear skies to snow storm.  And this was spring.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:14:36 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56182 on: August 17, 2021, 12:46:09 pm »

Urist McAxedorf is about to have a bad time.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56183 on: August 17, 2021, 08:44:27 pm »

Tell us how it went.  That sounds horrible and neat at the same time!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56184 on: August 17, 2021, 09:56:08 pm »

please tell us

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56185 on: August 18, 2021, 03:13:47 am »

please tell us
I also want to hear the tale!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56186 on: August 18, 2021, 04:56:33 am »

It was pretty anticlimactic.

Axe Squad chopped pieces off the hydra, it never landed a single blow (all dodged or blocked).

Most of it is mangled now, though there is an unmangled foot.

I was hoping for it to be more... Herculean.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #56187 on: August 18, 2021, 04:37:31 pm »

It was pretty anticlimactic.

Axe Squad chopped pieces off the hydra, it never landed a single blow (all dodged or blocked).

Most of it is mangled now, though there is an unmangled foot.

I was hoping for it to be more... Herculean.

It must have been equally as unimpressive in life since it was dead
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56188 on: August 19, 2021, 10:38:52 am »

I just had my third migrant wave in the early spring of my settlement Pulleypulled and I am staring to worry about my food.  Was stupid and failed, right at the start, to tell the kitchen to leave the seeds alone and not cook certain plants.  So really working at adding to the food stockpiles and drink stockpiles.  To be honest it has added a tad to the game.  Also using Primal mod means hunting for food may end up being...somewhat dangerous.  Well, more so than normal.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56189 on: August 19, 2021, 01:37:30 pm »

I'm emotionally almost done with my fort even if my goals are still a ways off

My goal was to conquer this region and save my dwarves civilization and we are many years in

Every site razed is reoccupied by another goblin civ. Thousands of goblins in each dark fortress(and they have multiple ones)

I train squads to occupy, but there are literally enough sites where it still is taking forever for that route too

I actually sort of look forward to exploring this area in adventure mode now though.
Mindless hordes of undead who lost their necromancer
Multiple clowns released during world gen that are wandering the world
titans and werebeasts galore
goblin forces from like 5 different civilizations and a ton of vampires
I bet I would barely get past my front gate
Pages: 1 ... 3744 3745 [3746] 3747 3748 ... 3835