Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859010 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56190 on: August 19, 2021, 08:32:49 pm »

Dwellingbanner was my most successful fort yet.  Managed to get basic metal and textile entries set up and even got a squad of militiadwarves led by my captain of the guard (which is weird as I thought the militia was supposed to be led by a “militia commander”) set up and almost kitted out.  I had a tavern with 20 rooms for rent, a dormitory, a non-denominational temple, and two guild halls, and I was working on a hospital and well room (with a reservoir below) when a mountain titan came along.  A mountain titan named Goto.  A flying mountain titan named Goto that my squad of five axedwarves couldn’t even touch!!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56191 on: August 19, 2021, 11:11:41 pm »

even got a squad of militiadwarves led by my captain of the guard (which is weird as I thought the militia was supposed to be led by a “militia commander”) set up and almost kitted out. 

Yeah, the Captain of the Guard runs the police force.  They CAN fight but the problem is that when they deal out a beating, which is one of their punishments, if they are too skilled at combat they MAY kill the punishee.  In other words too much training and real combat makes then pretty deadly legal enforcement.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56192 on: August 20, 2021, 01:58:29 am »

Yeah, the Captain of the Guard runs the police force.  They CAN fight but the problem is that when they deal out a beating, which is one of their punishments, if they are too skilled at combat they MAY kill the punishee.  In other words too much training and real combat makes then pretty deadly legal enforcement.

In other words, demilitarise the police!

(One perk of the police technically being squads is that you can assign them patrols to guard your museum.)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56193 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08:16 am »

I train squads to occupy, but there are literally enough sites where it still is taking forever for that route too
You don't have to train occupation squads, just hit the site few times with a raze mission and then a single untrained and -armed guy can demand their surrender.
I prefer to dispose of my permanently depressed dwarves this way; becoming a dread overlord of a newly conquered holding really cheers them up.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56194 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:25 am »

Welp, the fort just died to a web-slinging vomit quadruped. Thought my Axe Squad was going to be able to deal with it, but no.

Having the fort pile on didn't help either.

Thank you very much, not-so-friendly neighborhood Spider-Bile.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56195 on: August 20, 2021, 12:38:53 pm »

Dem Webs
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56196 on: August 20, 2021, 05:37:48 pm »

My settlement Pulleypulled has a lot of pet predators running around killing, and dumping, the vermin in my food stockpiles.  Which meant I had to stop every half an hour or so just to find the tiny dead bodies to have them dumped.

Well, I found one dead vermin but for some reason it was not showing up when I used 'k'.  I could see right under a kitten but could not 'dump'.  So, I checked the kitten's inventory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First time I've seen that.  I knew they killed the vermin but never caught them in the act of the killing.  Wow.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56197 on: August 20, 2021, 07:38:03 pm »

My settlement Pulleypulled has a lot of pet predators running around killing, and dumping, the vermin in my food stockpiles.  Which meant I had to stop every half an hour or so just to find the tiny dead bodies to have them dumped.

Well, I found one dead vermin but for some reason it was not showing up when I used 'k'.  I could see right under a kitten but could not 'dump'.  So, I checked the kitten's inventory.

First time I've seen that.  I knew they killed the vermin but never caught them in the act of the killing.  Wow.

If your have a refuse stockpile set up (and assuming it isn’t full), your dwarves should move the remains from the food stockpile to the refuse stockpile for you.  No need to manually designate the remains for dumping…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56198 on: August 20, 2021, 11:02:04 pm »

What kind of animal is a Pederpes?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56199 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:11 pm »

Pederpes ("Peter's Foot") is an extinct genus of early Carboniferous tetrapod, dating from 348 to 347.6 Ma in the Tournaisian age (lower Mississippian).

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56200 on: August 21, 2021, 07:05:22 am »

Pederpes ("Peter's Foot") is an extinct genus of early Carboniferous tetrapod, dating from 348 to 347.6 Ma in the Tournaisian age (lower Mississippian).

Is that the Tourism Age in Mississippi?  That makes sense because that looks like a nice photo a tourist took of the Pederpes.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56201 on: August 21, 2021, 11:35:52 am »

This dude has 4 girlfriends. The girlfriends are all "kindred spirit" with each other as well.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #56202 on: August 22, 2021, 12:15:30 pm »

so i had a moody dwarf wonder down to the caverns and he grabbed the severed limb of a forgotten beast and used the bones from it in the creation of this artifact

the king mentioned here also lives in my fort so im putting this in his tomb
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56203 on: August 22, 2021, 01:50:47 pm »

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Ah, yes. How many this time? More than a squad? Outnumbering our own? Trolls? Beak Dogs? Beak Dog mounts?

I wasn't very fond of the wood stockpile anyway.

"Burn it! Work the fires night and day! We have an army to equip!"
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56204 on: August 22, 2021, 03:02:39 pm »

I found out today that raptors can hunt vermin like cats, can be trained for war like dogs, and can kept a WereGilaMonster busy till the soldiers show up.  I want real ones!    :D
Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 3836