Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3746 3747 [3748] 3749 3750 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856390 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56205 on: August 23, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »

Well the fuckers ran away just as we were finishing the last breastplate.

No matter, we would try again.

The next siege was a clusterfuck. More dorfs dodged into and drowned in the stream than were killed by gobbos. Who knew stream bridges were such deadly traps to a well-trained army?

Afterwards we made a few modifications to the stream crossing.

(Not all soldiers are visible.)

We had our melee fighters setup in the nook to the southwest, supported by a crossbow tower on top of the black sand salient.

Bolts rained down, and a speardorf got too eager and moved out of cover. The rest had no choice but to follow into battle, first chasing across the orchard, then the wastes.

Then came the bridge. While the bridge was no longer a death trap, it was supposed to funnel the enemy, not our own! Instead of holding the enemy at the Hot Gates, our soldiers pulled a Reverse Uno card, and got themselves held at the Hot Gates, with dorfs literally jumping out of the bridge structure, chomping at the bit to get some action.

Only lost two dorfs, but there's plenty of wounded dragging themselves across the bridge.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56206 on: August 24, 2021, 03:01:35 am »

Just dug into my own well water source.

Restart. *cries*

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56207 on: August 26, 2021, 10:34:34 pm »

On the 15th day of Granite, in the early spring of the year 125 of The Land of Oracles, A group of Dwarves form The Copper Lance, calling themselves The Knife of Principles, arrived at a spot near two streams (both of which have the same name, but neither of which appears in the civ screen or legends mode, so their name remains a mystery) in The Hills of Soaking and there they decided to found a fortress.  The name of this fortress, they decided, would be "Ironmute".

Spoiler: Embark (Full Map) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark Message (click to show/hide)

Strike the earth!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56208 on: August 27, 2021, 02:35:24 am »

Some of my migrants (all pureborn dwarves as far as I can tell)  are apparently members of Dricheerus, a kobold bandit gang.
After some digging in the Legends I found out that the gang was founded by kobold Frastolbin but its other members are all dwarves. Fascinating. How did that happen?

Given that kobolds are incapable of intelligible speech, I can't help but imagine how a criminal organization run by a kobold would work.

"Hey, Boss!"
"Zlonkis?"
"Dat jeweler Urist, he's been showing us all kinds of disrespect an' all dat. You wanna me an' de boys go rough him up an' teach him a lesson?"
"Jhiribleebus!"
"You got it, Boss."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:19:19 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56209 on: August 27, 2021, 04:19:32 am »

Given that kobolds are incapable of intelligible speech, I can't help but imagine how a criminal organization run by a kobold would work.

It gets worse than that.  I think I still have the savefile for a small world where kobolds managed to take over a human city.  Legends Export says there's a total of 3 sedentary kobolds, ruling over more than a hundred humans.  Naturally, I went there in Adventurer Mode and found that about half the market is occupied by wandering kobold peddlers.  At first I assumed they're selling miscellaneous fruit and junk from their capital cave, but everytime i tried to trade in any way, they ignored me.  And I don't just mean a misunderstanding, I mean they made no reply at all.  This is a lawful, peaceful town, with market and keep and all, but a good chunk of the population is just entirely unfit for domestic life.  Unfortunately, the ruling class was nowhere to be found.  I met a human abbot and a human lesser noble in the keep, though, and they gave quests like normal.  No political tensions with other civilisations according to them.

At the end of the day, i wandered off to hunt some great beast or sth, but muttered "good for them. good for them." the whole time.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56210 on: August 27, 2021, 05:08:25 am »

On the 15th day of Granite, in the early spring of the year 125 of The Land of Oracles, A group of Dwarves form The Copper Lance, calling themselves The Knife of Principles, arrived at a spot near two streams (both of which have the same name, but neither of which appears in the civ screen or legends mode, so their name remains a mystery) in The Hills of Soaking and there they decided to found a fortress.  The name of this fortress, they decided, would be "Ironmute".

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

That is a lot of river sources you have there.  Loads of potential for grand waterworks of all kinds!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56211 on: August 27, 2021, 11:06:02 am »

The lieutenant got a bit too eager when the cyclops entered the hood, and...

Well. That's one way to go.

In other news, the gobbos are bringing a suspiciously large number of dorfs, and always a few days before the caravan.

Methinks the Mountainhomes have shitty OPSEC.

We've also began work on diverting the river. I don't like how close our fisherdorfs are to the edge whenever they go to fish, so we'll be bringing the river closer.

Underground even. We'll probably finish it in 2-3 years, assuming we don't drown in goblinite. Post-siege cleanup is a mess, even with minecarts.

We might need to invade the caverns for more wood. I want to upgrade our armor and weapons, damnit. Steel preferably. We've got the goblinite and the marble.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56212 on: August 27, 2021, 02:49:36 pm »

It gets worse than that.
Yes, I agree... in this fort it just did. Or maybe it just got better.

Some migrants also appear to be members of a kobold civilization, Thirsnus. Not only are kobolds alive and healthy in this world after 1500+ years of worldgen, but they apparently live in peace and harmony with other races. Oh, and they also seem to have hoarded about 80% of the world's artifacts in their main site, the cave of Flarenights the Spry Gleams.

In few forts I've seen "goblinized" dwarven migrants with goblin cultural values and dreams (rule the world, bathe the world in chaos etc.) Would it be possible to have kobold values?

Uhhh... welcome?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56213 on: August 27, 2021, 04:16:09 pm »

Update:

First cavern has been breached... and quickly sealed:

Spoiler: First Cavern. (click to show/hide)

Also, Ironmute now has it's first artifact!

Spoiler: First Artifact. (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56214 on: August 27, 2021, 08:14:56 pm »

Well, Ironmute just fell to a major mining accident.

Here's the fort's second artifact:

Spoiler: Second Artifact (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wisdomchills (click to show/hide)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56215 on: August 28, 2021, 01:40:16 am »

That's an... interesting... item to choose as an heirloom.

One wonders how inheritance of the heirloom would work...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56216 on: August 28, 2021, 05:50:10 am »

Elven diplomat came in... carrying an artifact yak bone bed in one hand and an artifact serrated bronze disc in other. Did she really carry all that across the wasteland?

One thing about long worldgens is that artifacts are everywhere.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56217 on: August 28, 2021, 09:32:59 am »

Tired of early game, decided to run a 100+ year fort.  "Creatureland the Monastery of Scholars" is a war animal research / breeding fortress for "The Theater of Wanes", the smallest of the three remaining dwarven civs, beset by goblins and badly in need of high quality war animals and (according to the Queen) "dogs the size of grizzlies".  Embark with a lot of dogs and some barely competent dwarves, only scientist is the book keeper, a math dwarf.  We'll get better scientists later, we're sure.

Things go well, we survive the wild life, set up crops, industry, clothes, defense.  Get two small immigrant waves, gives us 21 dwarves total.  Elf and human merchants drop by, bringing some promising creatures.  Lose a few dwarves: Drowning in the well, failed mood, miner killed digging out the pit.  Migrants pass us by for some reason... bump up the bribes to the merchants, keep going, lots of progress, no attacks.  Migrants pass us by again... huh?  Realize we've never seen the dwarven merchants.  Never seen any diplomats at all.  What?

Only one continent, so we're not isolated.  Civ/holdings map shows The Theater of Wanes is still there, although they've lost some ground to the suddenly more numerous gobs.  No new gobs between us... look at the civ/civ page.  Looks... isn't there a lot of W's on there?

The Theater of Wanes, our home civilization, has declared war on us.  Civil war, apparently. 

According to statues and stories in the tavern (seriously), the Theater of Wanes started when time began and has seen new king/queens on years 53, 56, 100, 110 and... midsummer 125.  Right after we left.  And the changes in 53 and 125, at least, were preceded by military events, or changes in military leadership.  Looks like we just missed a civil war – possibly a holy war, based on the new King Likot's past career as a “holy walk” in a popular religion.  Now we're refugees, or expatriots, take your pick.

Darn.  So immigration has stopped.  Remember the three casualties?  Two were each half of the only two couples in the fort, so no kids for a while.  Looks like we'll be recruiting out of the bars and library, then.  Unfortunately, while there are apparently plenty of bards, there are only three wandering scholars in the entire world, and while they visit here, they don't stop.  Better offers elsewhere, apparently.

Not exactly how I expected to start a hundred year fortress!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56218 on: September 03, 2021, 12:00:11 am »

Diplomat came, visited the overseer to make trade agreements...

midway through the agreement, there was an election, and the overseer was replaced.

So the diplomat left unhappy.

argh.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56219 on: September 03, 2021, 12:08:31 am »

So I started a fort to test the efficacy of lover's barb to improve the relationship-forming potential of dwarves, and just my luck, almost every migrant has been married. One pair of the starting 7 immediately got married and another pair are lovers but haven't married. I have gotten no lovers barb produced. A baby has been born, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3746 3747 [3748] 3749 3750 ... 3836