Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 3766

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4551347 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56250 on: September 09, 2021, 01:59:52 pm »

A sage visited the library, and wrote...

"The Wizard's Guide To Toxic Substances"

Neat.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56251 on: September 10, 2021, 10:03:12 am »

So a few years ago a werelizard attacked the fortress and there was no way to have everybody retreat in time. I was afraid it would turn into a bloodbath, but one of dwarves confronted the werelizard, and against all expectations killed the foul creature.
However she reported to hospital with a minor injury after battle. She was was ordered to isolate, but on the way to her room she was taken by a mood, claimed the forge and created an artifact bronze pick. Right after finishing the item she turned into a werelizard, confirming our worst fears. Luckily we had walled of the forge while she was working.   
After she turned back to her normal shape we saw no other option than to expel her from the fortress, but she was allowed to keep her artifact weapon and other equipment.

That was years ago.  Fast forward to now, when the caravan showed up with a new outpost liaison. Guess who?

Yes.
It is a good thing I was watching the announcements closely. I'm going to try to negotiate with the liaison without getting eaten. Wish me luck.

Edit: Well that turned out to be interesting. The caravan appeared a day before the full moon. The liaison used that first day (still in her normal form) to bypass all my traps, guard dogs and other precautions. She then turned into a werelizard and sprinted into the fortress with no time for me to pull any levers. I had ordered all my dwarves to fall back deeper into the fortress and all obeyed, except for the king, who had ran out to the trade depot despite the state of alert.
This was not the first time he disobeyed my orders to try to save the day, and I have to admit that he again managed to defeat both my expectations, and his foe.  This time though there will be complications, for the king has a couple of nasty bitewounds in his face.

All hail the wereking, I guess. His royal quarters should be luxurious enough for him to spend the rest of his days there.
edit 2: He was not infected, somehow.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:43:06 pm by Bralbaard »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56252 on: September 12, 2021, 12:41:21 am »

Are you sure they were bite wounds, and not "beaten with a leather gauntlet" wounds? Because if he is not infected...is it because he is undead?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56253 on: September 12, 2021, 01:12:58 am »

He was bitten in the head but that only caused a bruise in the initial attack. Then he was shaken around by the head for several rounds, causing quite a lot of tearing damage and cuts, the blood was everywhere. Apparently that does not cause infections though.

toty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56254 on: September 12, 2021, 06:02:23 am »

The dwarves of Amostavuz "Townmine" finished the entrance to their underground fortress: a solemn purple building made entirely of rutile, featuring fortifications, four towers and a ample square for the kids to play. Another great day for the history of dwarven architecture

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

velanos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56255 on: September 13, 2021, 01:58:49 pm »

I just started my first fort still reading the quickstart guide. The first migrant I get is a legendary gem cutter. Nice!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56256 on: September 13, 2021, 07:37:17 pm »

I just started my first fort still reading the quickstart guide. The first migrant I get is a legendary gem cutter. Nice!

Welcome to DF. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56257 on: September 14, 2021, 11:11:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The picture says what's been going on... Profane !!!FUN!!!
The smell is the best part. Coffee never tastes as well as it smells. You weird noseless mutant you.
The monster on the bed that you're hiding under

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56258 on: September 14, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »

He was bitten in the head but that only caused a bruise in the initial attack. Then he was shaken around by the head for several rounds, causing quite a lot of tearing damage and cuts, the blood was everywhere. Apparently that does not cause infections though.
From what I've seen, creatures with a [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION] linked to a bite attack seem to have the interaction occur only on the bite attack itself, with shaking attacks being treated as a wrestling move rather than a bite attack (according to adv mode, if someone's attempting to shake a unit around after a bite it's listed as 'attacking X with wrestling').
This is a masterwork image of signature demons and a character limit. The signature demons are doing unspeakable things to the character limit. The signature demons are laughing. The character limit is in a fetal position. The character limit is screaming. This relates to the creation of the Grand Signature of Idiocy by Quantum Drop in the early winter of 2019.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56259 on: September 15, 2021, 08:11:18 pm »

We got attacked by a Necromancer Wereantelope.

He ran about biting and killing citizens and their livestock, as werebeasts do. Then he changed into a necromancer human, raised a citizen he had just killed moments before, and was killed immediately by the newly made Werebeast Faint One. This Werebeast Faint One then went around madly killing citizens, until the surprisingly brave Manager walked up to him and took him to the hospital. Immediately after being placed in the hospital for bed rest, he jumped out of bed and chased the Medic around the room three times, then out into the hall, and into the recently made Mayorial Suite. I locked all the doors, and the Faint One killed the Mayor in her bed. The Medical Dorf walled him into the bedroom, and the Faint One stopped moving, finally.

Aftermath: We are making a new Mayorial Bedroom for the new Mayor. There is muffled wailing from behind the new rough wall in the Mayorial Study, and the old hospital has also been walled in as it might be full of werebeasts-to-be, but we are telling the new Mayor not to ask any questions. About half the fort are dead and dying, and the Manager has ordered a lot more coffins and slabs to be made.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56260 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:04 pm »

Werebeast disasters have ended more than one of my forts. My custom werewolf for spellcrafts somehow ends up spreading the curse even to people that didn't get bit according to combat logs. And I have no idea how. I've just about gone to the vampire method of only spreading if you drink their blood. But that's not nearly as fun.

My experiments with love making appear to have born fruit. Weird fruit, sure, but fruit nonetheless.

So, lovers barb is a plant in Spellcrafts that increases personality facets like gregariousness, tolerance, love propensity and lust propensity, and reduces hate propensity. It turns out, this does indeed increase the chances of forming relationships, with, in my last test, the starting seven of two of the three females and all four males ending up in relationships. Both women were in romantic relationships with one another, and each of them was in romantic relationships with each of the four men. Each of them married one of the men, I'm not sure if the other guys are getting cut out or how the game handles that. A couple of the men had relationships with one another too. The seventh dwarf, the remaining woman, was kindred spirits and friends with every other dwarf, but formed no romantic relationships. Asexual/aromantic presumably.

Of all the migrants that moved in, they all very quickly formed friendships but most of them were already married, and after about six months or so none had formed new romantic relationships. So it looks as though dwarves once married will not pursue other potential romances, but before marriage can form at least up to four concurrent romantic relationships. Lovers acquired before marriage are still listed as lovers, not sure if they'll continue to socialize and treat one another as lovers, though.

The lovers barb plant and alcohol syndromes are definitely turning up the heat though. Typically of the starting seven you'd see maybe two or three relationships, not a six dwarf series of love quadrangles.

Obviously the question is, can we go deeper?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56261 on: September 15, 2021, 11:24:49 pm »

This is super cool. Very clever way to encourage relationships.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56262 on: September 16, 2021, 12:08:51 am »

I had almost finished construction of my archer tower, had a single combat ready melee squad, five marksdwarves crosstrained into a few levels of hammer, and two squads of melee/ranged sparring together when a siege came...
I hastily made a patrol atop the nearly finished archery tower (only a single wall and stair needed to be made) but didn't assign the points.
The result is over a hundred dead (~180 pop down to a meager 59, 34 of which are children). I'm pretty sure there might have been an accidental loyalty cascade in the mix and now all this cleanup will heavily delay work on the magma pumpstack which will bring magma just below my crafting floor for magma forges that don't require 100+ z levels of walking.
I'm so glad that I built a lot of cage traps on the surface because I'm not sure how well this fort could have held if there were that many more.

Ooh! Twenty migrants. That nearly DOUBLES my working population..

Just had another siege show up the following month and then immediately leave...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:53:02 am by Metruption »

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56263 on: September 16, 2021, 11:12:15 am »

A kobold thief nearly got away. Then a cavy pup sprinted at him and started to kick, bite and scratch. The fight lasted long enough for an archer to catch up and finish the fight with a single shot. I always thought cavy pets were almost useless...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56264 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:11 am »

I would like to praise the author of the book "burning and more" that I just bought for choosing a fitting piece of cover art for his work:

I imagine some scientist was taking notes for this book during the rampage, while all the other dwarves were running around on fire.

"ah, yes.. that is interesting.."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:56:51 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 3766