Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3752 3753 [3754] 3755 3756 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787880 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56295 on: October 13, 2021, 07:36:19 pm »

Does anyone know what causes dorfs to place a corpse (or body part) in a coffin, then to immediately take it back out and carry it to the refuse pile?  They seem to do this in an endless loop sometimes and it's not easy to catch it at the right moment and forbid the corpse (or body part) as soon as it goes in the coffin.

(edit:  When I changed the refuse pile so it doesn't accept those items, the dorfs leave them in the tile with the coffin, but the items are not inside the coffin.)

(edit 2:  Then another dorf comes by to place it in the tomb, but the job fails and they leave.  The coffins and corpse (or body part) are not forbidden.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:56:32 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56296 on: October 13, 2021, 10:24:26 pm »

Was the corpse reanimated as undead at some point? If so, there's a bug that causes the corpse to be spit out of the coffin.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56297 on: October 13, 2021, 10:30:39 pm »

Was the corpse reanimated as undead at some point? If so, there's a bug that causes the corpse to be spit out of the coffin.
That could definitely be it, thanks!
My solution is the obvious one... smash them into oblivion.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56298 on: October 13, 2021, 10:34:25 pm »

As Armok intended.

Interesting that there are so many duplicate reports of this particular bug. I've never noticed it - but it may be that my forts on reanimating biomes tend to be...short-lived.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56299 on: October 14, 2021, 04:25:02 am »

I'd had the usual "vile force of darkness" invasions where the vile force just wandered off with no actual combat.

And a forgotten beast that got killed by a stray cat.

And despite being on a volcano embark, no metals but copper and, thanks Armok, cassiterite, so we have a pretty solid bronze economy.

I was still kind of worried when we finally got a "vile force" that had beak dogs, trolls, and actually dangerous critters.

Turns out bronze weapons and armor actually get that shit done.  Thanks for your goblinite you fools!  Next time you pull this trick you're going to be facing your own steel!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #56300 on: October 14, 2021, 04:14:01 pm »

surprisingly that's one bug as far as I'm aware we haven't encountered in smallhands yet

here's something going off in my fort. Apparently I had a rain of magma in my evil biome. At the south pole in the tundra. Weirdly it DIDNT melt the ice river.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56301 on: October 14, 2021, 08:03:39 pm »

Did the dwarves give the cat a name after it?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56302 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:56 pm »

I'd had the usual "vile force of darkness" invasions where the vile force just wandered off with no actual combat.

And despite being on a volcano embark, no metals but copper and, thanks Armok, cassiterite, so we have a pretty solid bronze economy.

I was still kind of worried when we finally got a "vile force" that had beak dogs, trolls, and actually dangerous critters.

Turns out bronze weapons and armor actually get that shit done.  Thanks for your goblinite you fools!  Next time you pull this trick you're going to be facing your own steel!
Bronze is actually excellent for weapons. It's better than many forms of iron. It got totally replaced IRL because there's a lot more easily minable iron than tin in the world. In all of Europe there were only four or five places you could mine it.

So your bronze-clad dorfs should have been fine against goboes in low quality iron armor.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56303 on: October 16, 2021, 07:13:36 am »

I'm trying to decide how to do my temple complex, but not sure

Right  now our temporary one is just three floors of stacked floors on the surface. No walls or ceiling on the top just open air for dwarves to worship whatever, but it doesn't feel grand enough for a the most profitable and enduring fortress in our world, you know? Open to ideas

The rest of the fort is done well. Surface fort with a big stone city, everyone has stone houses, giant wooden tavern, Huge mega-complex so that all wokrshops, libraries, prisons, offices, and barracks fit within it a short walk from the housing district.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56304 on: October 16, 2021, 09:43:13 am »

Open to ideas

So it's three storeys of temple to no specific deity right now?  How about a central altar that spans two storeys?  Maybe a choir?  Geometric pillar arrangements are always a splendid idea.  The roof storey could have astronomic use.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56305 on: October 16, 2021, 10:49:50 am »

A waterfall / bathing channel upon entry, or, depending on the gods worshipped, a lava-fall somewhere could be a fun project.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56306 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:54 pm »

Gravearmor is in the late part of the 18th year and all the FB's have been "liberated" except for one... a huge one-eyed ass with wings and poison gas, lol.  The description doesn't tell, but I'd bet its eye is brown.  The dwarfs are tunneling and constructing a walkway over the water to reach the area and chop down a mushroom to set it free.

Population is 282  (255 adults, 22 kids, 5 babies)
Military:
 40 regular dorfs
 22 crossbow dorfs
  5 kings guards
108 militia
  8 youngsters

Just had a hydra come and it was anti-climactic as it got chopped up in a trap and fell in a cage.  Gonna have to set it free in the danger room... I wonder if the youngsters could take it down?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56307 on: October 17, 2021, 01:47:48 pm »

You guessed it... the huge donkey-thing has passed on, it's an ex-being.
The hydra?  My confidence in the youngsters wasn't high so the king's guard had fun with it.
Now to finish connecting the entire cave with walkways to clear the remote portions of refuse, it helps FPS.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56308 on: October 17, 2021, 02:17:17 pm »

Hydras are for wearing hats and being good pets

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56309 on: October 18, 2021, 02:32:04 am »

Started a new, tiny fortress immediately next to a necromancer tower (I mean it - from adventure mode you could throw an object at it from the fortress). I did the zero-item embark just for fun. Although, I've done the zero-item embark before, I hadn't embarked next to a tower before, so was surprised to see that all of the plants were dead (influenced by the death sphere from the necromancer's evil influence) which meant we had very little to do indeed. Luckily a river ran through the eastern quarter of the map.

A year of fishing, carving mussel shells and bones, and getting spooked by giant birds, Birdsrags finally got a caravan and with it, an axe and pick. No undead came to visit, and only a few hamstermen really needed to be handled. It is now a fully-functional, thriving fort. Shockingly, it might be one of my favorite ones so far. The image of 7 dwarves sitting under spooky dead trees fishing up lampreys and occasionally cooking them into biscuits, all under the shadow of the necromancer's tower has been persistent. Can't imagine the relief when the caravan showed up on the horizon.

Really expected this to be a throw-away fortress while I let my adventurers live their lives. Shocked it thrived - I barely know any of the dwarves' names.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:34:08 am by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 3752 3753 [3754] 3755 3756 ... 3835