Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3752 3753 [3754] 3755 3756 ... 3765

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4548916 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56295 on: September 30, 2021, 06:20:46 pm »

Silver; spiked balls for weapon traps. Doesn't have to be the best material, you've got it in abundance. And a few statues.

Steel: military equipment, weapons and armor. Forcibly import the elves animals for war beasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56296 on: September 30, 2021, 07:21:21 pm »

The able-bodied of the 283 dwarves of Gravearmor are spending lots of time emptying quartzite & granite blocks down the disposal chute without throwing the bins in. The dummies will learn not to stockpile 20,000 blocks for which they have no use!  (FPS had dropped to 10 and is inching back up now.)
The smell is the best part. Coffee never tastes as well as it smells. You weird noseless mutant you.
The monster on the bed that you're hiding under

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56297 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:40 am »

Steel: military equipment, weapons and armor. Forcibly import the elves animals for war beasts.
I will have a lot of steel left after making weapons and armor for everybody. But you gave me an idea. Mazes full of weapon traps, using a masterwork steel mechanism and ten masterwork steel large serrated disks each, cutting elves, goblins and wildlife to pieces. Not terribly original, but satisfying.

Btw your quote is the most accurate description of the daily life of a programmer working on legacy code I've seen.  :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:58:25 am by Quarque »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56298 on: October 02, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »

I was inspired by the latest DF update video to change my workshop layout around.  I like the efficiency of a single tile hallway with workshops all along it.  And as more are needed, I just extend it out.  Also, I'm working on better stockpile organization with quantum stockpiles to condense things like gems and ammo without using bins.  I tend to abandon most forts a couple years in out of boredom, and I suppose to some extent FPS drop, but this time I made a small 65x65 world, so I'm hoping it will stay snappy and I'll stick with it for some time.  Rather than let mined out stone accumulate into the 1000s as usual, I'm going to instead use all the excess to train up the jewelers.  I made some adjustments to the raws for this world such that the dwarves can craft just about every type of weapon and clothing, but otherwise nothing unusual with this embark.  High quality bronze scimitars for everyone!

I'm also trying out making a dedicated hauler.  With the QSPs, they should keep fairly busy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:43:59 pm by Schmaven »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56299 on: October 02, 2021, 04:51:17 pm »

The Good: 40 meleedwarves and 10 supporting rangerdwarves fought off a 250+ gobbo siege in 1 FPS carnage.

The Bad: A meleedwarf bled to death.

The Ugly: 6 months of post-siege cleanup.

We've finished off the artificial river island, Elephant Island, and the underground river. Unfortunately, despite being in direct contact with the river, we cannot fish from the underground river. Not even pond fish. Nevertheless, we created a somewhat shielded fishing spot at the tip of the trunk of the island.

We've pierced the first cavern and have begun securing it. We've got a security checkpoint, multiple washing troughs, some FOB lodgings and stockpiles, LOS breaks, and a checkerboard--all caravan certified. Two forgotten beasts are trapped by trees, one of which due to lacking wings (it gets harassed by a giant bat every now and then). The checkerboard has proven itself useful by making webspitting forgotten beasts much less effective at trapping soldiers in webs.

We've also setup a rudimentary minecart route to the first cavern to ease the hauling workload. A population cap of 100 dwarves, and 55% military at 67% active, do not make hauling easy.

Oh, and we're overflowing in bars and goblinite. The caverns must burn.

We've also built a clear glass greenhouse, so now we can supplement our clothing industry with rope reed. Milling has also screwed us over a bit. We have had tons of dimple cups, but we milled mostly non-dye plants. That has been fixed now.

I've furthermore learned that adding "DRINK-MAT-producing" to your milling job plant reagent condition can reduce cancellation spam when separating dye plants from the rest. Only creates problems with oats (non-dye plant, millable but non-brewable) and sliver barb (dye plant, millable and brewable).

Slowly, we'll work our way to the magma.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56300 on: October 03, 2021, 04:59:12 am »

I've furthermore learned that adding "DRINK-MAT-producing" to your milling job plant reagent condition can reduce cancellation spam when separating dye plants from the rest. Only creates problems with oats (non-dye plant, millable but non-brewable) and sliver barb (dye plant, millable and brewable).

you could also set up stockpiles that only allow dye plants to feed the dye mills, and set the querns/millstones to take from those piles. You'll also need them to take from a furniture stockpile containing only bags.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56301 on: October 03, 2021, 07:29:06 am »

That's the separation I mentioned, yes. But without a job manager, you'll quickly use up all the bags (unless you do funky minecart wizardry) or overproduce. And without an additional plant reagent condition, you'll get cancellation spam since you are counting more than just the dye plants.

So for the non-dye mills, you use "Millable DRINK-MAT-producing plants", and for the dye mills you use the dye plant itself.

There are only four dye plants, and many more non-dye millable plants. Much less work setting it up, though woe be your manager :P.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #56302 on: October 03, 2021, 01:56:18 pm »

Surfaces forts are a very cool challenge and it is very fun to do them, but it is significantly harder to wall off yourself. It is also harder still if you delayed setting up a military because you built a beautiful wall that the elves paid for, since due to the elven funding you ignored felling the trees on the outside of the fort, providing a neat way to just walk in through the branches. I'll just set a room for refuse and hope for the best.
In a time before time, I had a name.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56303 on: October 04, 2021, 09:29:16 am »

Oh no.

The urge to declare Exterminatus intensifies.

EDIT:

See? Suffer the gobbos and the dwarves will immediately delve into heresy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 09:41:10 am by da_nang »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56304 on: October 05, 2021, 12:01:51 am »

Exterminatus is more difficult than it at first seems. The gobbo population will continue to rise with time, so you'd have to raid nonstop. So you'll need a lot of raiders.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56305 on: October 06, 2021, 08:06:10 pm »

Bastiongate managed to nearly exterminate the local goblins back in 0.40, but that was because 40 years of sending sieges took a toll on their population. They were down to just the demon lord and like 2000 trolls.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56306 on: October 13, 2021, 04:04:09 am »

I'm again trying out magma mist generators as a siege defence. On the first test something clearly went wrong; I didn't see what happened but there is now an eternally burning Goblin Maceman swimming in my magma works. He isn't melting or even drowning, and seems actually quite content despite being on fire.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56307 on: October 13, 2021, 04:10:45 am »

"I was burned badly... I'm not annoyed by this"

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56308 on: October 13, 2021, 04:38:26 am »

He is on fire, but not actually burning per se, meaning he is not bleeding or melting or otherwise injured. His gear will soon reach melting temperatures, though.

I didn't plan on fishing anything out of that part of the magma system so there's no way to drain those tunnels. Also the siege won't end as long as he's down there.

My fault, should have prepared for magma-proof super goblins getting stuck in the pipes.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56309 on: October 13, 2021, 05:09:58 am »

A goblin siege arrived and because there were still bugged merchants stuck at my trade depot I decided to order everyone inside and hope that these problems would sort each other out. The merchant guards seem to have routed the goblins and now there is a wagon taking off in the opposite direction. It worked! Now I'll just need to actually fight the next siege...
Pages: 1 ... 3752 3753 [3754] 3755 3756 ... 3765