Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3757 3758 [3759] 3760 3761 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855610 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56370 on: November 03, 2021, 06:11:13 pm »

Lashtunnels - a trap-heavy fortress (not as trap heavy as I'd like, thanks to a bothersome aquifer layer) has squashed and mangled waves of undead - but recently gained the attention of the goblins, possibly because of a lone adventurer attack some years back.

During the siege, three goblins turned into werepigs (a result of that adventurer being a werepig and biting several goblins before running away with a broken arm).

I cannot express my absolute disappointment than werebeast-infected siegers do not murder everyone around them. It's bugged...
Ah well, the squad of legendary lashers and swordsdwarves minced them well enough.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56371 on: November 03, 2021, 11:37:14 pm »

Within that Room are three Dwarfs watching a Demonstration, six Dwarfs engaged in Sparring, over thirty Dwarfs going through their Combat Drills, and one Dwarf leading the Demonstration.

More particularly, he's demonstrating Dodging.

We'd invest in a second Barracks, but no one's gotten hurt.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56372 on: November 04, 2021, 11:18:16 am »

Just got a breeding pair of unicorns from the elves. Took 15 years to acquire a male and a female. Finally my patience was rewarded.

Let the breeding program commence!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56373 on: November 05, 2021, 07:39:24 am »

Uh, let's scratch that...

Spring arrived and the time for yearly culling of the elderly came. Guess which animal died of old age?

A unicorn. Specifically the only male one. Now I've got only two females: the one I bought from the elves, and a foal birthed a month ago.

God. Dammit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56374 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:17 am »

Uh, let's scratch that...

Spring arrived and the time for yearly culling of the elderly came. Guess which animal died of old age?

A unicorn. Specifically the only male one. Now I've got only two females: the one I bought from the elves, and a foal birthed a month ago.

God. Dammit.
It's possible that your mare got pregnant again and will give birth to a male foal. Cross your fingers.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56375 on: November 05, 2021, 08:16:06 am »

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for.

Update:
Fortunately the mare was pregnant, gave birth and -- praise the breeders! -- the foal is male. So, the breeding program may continue after all!

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56376 on: November 05, 2021, 08:48:34 am »

Just started a new game with the ARP mod playing as humans, and immediately we have grounds for some grand DF soap opera. The expedition leader is a short wimp who wants to bathe the world in chaos, on the other hand there's the manager who's tall muscular gigachad dating the broker, I can already feel the tension in the air...

Apparently chaos is something this human civ particularly values, too, the villagers seem to have something against loyalty, they favor war over peace, find nature disturbing and introspection offensive... Can't wait to see where this'll go.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56377 on: November 05, 2021, 10:22:51 pm »

We were feeling under challenged, so We decided to create a World where, among a few other Things, Titans can turn up any Time they please.

In the Summer of Our first Year, Our Fortress was visited by a Titan.

Which had Webs as an attack.

We now have a Silk Farm, and the current Holder of the Title "World's Most Unfortunate Duckling", with no Loss of Dwarf.

As a side note, the Titan does not seem to be able to attack or even see through the Corners of Fortifications, and appears to be unable to target Creatures (or at least Ducklings) more then two Tiles back from said Fortifications.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56378 on: November 06, 2021, 02:27:39 am »

As a side note, the Titan does not seem to be able to attack or even see through the Corners of Fortifications, and appears to be unable to target Creatures (or at least Ducklings) more then two Tiles back from said Fortifications.

This is probably because generated spray attacks tend to have a TARGET_RANGE of 5.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56379 on: November 06, 2021, 12:20:30 pm »

This is mundane, but in the 21st year, Gravearmor's towers are undergoing renovations and heightening to create luxury quarters for all 8 squads of regulars... 1 melee & 1 x-bow squad per tower, with the squad leaders having double-size rooms on the ground floors. The 2nd floors are archery positions.

Haven't decided about the west tower yet, it's still empty.  The king & queen are ensconced down at the first cavern level, which has been cleared of beasts and most fungi trees, but is still open to monsters and has only doors and a few cage traps between them and us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56380 on: November 06, 2021, 12:39:57 pm »

So, looks like Seergrotto became the Mountainhome after one of our citizens claimed the position of king. And not any citizen, mind you, but one of our elf poets, Ale Lashedadored.

I really didn't want to become the capital, but I guess times they are a changing.

As a side note, the above ground parts of Seergrotto are now completed and each house furnished. Work on the actual underground parts is in the works, but progress is slow as we're mining a huge artificial cavern above the first cavern layer to house the dwarven city. Also, the male unicorn foal just recently grew up, so now we just have to wait until we get a new batch of inbred unicorns.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56381 on: November 06, 2021, 04:40:33 pm »

This is probably because generated spray attacks tend to have a TARGET_RANGE of 5.

Which does not prevent them from reaching the back Wall of the Farm. 

DF is strange.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56382 on: November 06, 2021, 04:54:22 pm »

Creatures without a Archer skill of Master can't see through fortifications unless they're directly adjacent.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56383 on: November 06, 2021, 08:47:14 pm »

trying to slow the llama-splosion that inevitably* happens in every fort where i try to keep a wool industry - one of my farmers just lost about half his molars trying to geld a llama that was displeased with my solution. there are teeth EVERYWHERE. and yet the farmer still has a thought about being "satisfied after gelding a creature"

now i have a candidate for dealing with the giant giraffes next year!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 10:09:23 pm by carnivorn »

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56384 on: November 07, 2021, 02:32:46 am »

Creatures without a Archer skill of Master can't see through fortifications unless they're directly adjacent.

We suppose that means it is a good Thing that the Corridor We trapped the Titan in is only one-Tile wide.
Pages: 1 ... 3757 3758 [3759] 3760 3761 ... 3836