Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3758 3759 [3760] 3761 3762 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843340 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56385 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:45 am »

52 trolls and 11 goblins mounted on beak dogs arrived and began slaughtering the slower of the grazing pets who did not sense the urgency of their pen being deactivated.  15 were lost before the siege was repelled.  Well, they survived longer than they would have starving without a pasture, but I don't think that'll be much consolation to their owners.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56386 on: November 07, 2021, 02:12:32 pm »

52 trolls and 11 goblins mounted on beak dogs arrived and began slaughtering the slower of the grazing pets who did not sense the urgency of their pen being deactivated.  15 were lost before the siege was repelled.  Well, they survived longer than they would have starving without a pasture, but I don't think that'll be much consolation to their owners.
I usually pasture grazing pets at intervals around the walls to serve as bait and an early warning system for werebeasts, necromancers, kobolds, or any other nastiness that decides to sneak onto my map.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56387 on: November 08, 2021, 10:32:30 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived at Seergrotto!

And not any run-of-the-mill invasion: it's the Boss Clown and her circus troupe extravaganza!

I was totally not expecting this, as for the past 20 years we've just faced regular goblin sieges (bolstered with the occasional elf, dwarf or human) and elf ambushes. I've been mostly relying on my walls as a means of defense, but that won't do squat when the fire breathing winged blobs arrive.

On the other hand, I was feeling like I'd want to try some Adventure mode in this world, so maybe that'll happen sooner than later as my doom seems to be at hand...

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56388 on: November 08, 2021, 09:26:50 pm »

We have discovered that We hate light Aquifers.

In one of Our Forts, the lack of Drainage nearly flooded the whole Fortress.

In another, a low Flow Rate has forced Us to build a ninety-five Unit Pump Stack to bring Water up to the Fort.

We are therefore forced to conclude that they were designed to torment Overseers.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56389 on: November 11, 2021, 11:48:09 pm »

A child got possesed. She claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop and is now demanding rocks, cut gems, and bones in fragmented utterings. This is according to wiki. She is not gathering the items herself, probably because she is a child, she is just standing there muttering to herself. I fear she might go insane.

I have raw chert and cut bloodstone ready to use in stockpiles. But I have no idea how to harvest bones. I tinkered around with stockpiles, but the chicken I had butchered wasn't touched at all.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56390 on: November 12, 2021, 01:41:43 am »

are you playing with dfhack?  if so, typing "showmood" in the dfhack window will tell you exactly what she wants to use, including which item she is currently unable to find (once you supply enough of that item, she will continue and collect the rest)

wiki says chickens provide 4 bones when butchered, maybe she wants more than 4 bones?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56391 on: November 12, 2021, 02:42:13 am »

A child got possesed. She claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop and is now demanding rocks, cut gems, and bones in fragmented utterings. This is according to wiki. She is not gathering the items herself, probably because she is a child, she is just standing there muttering to herself. I fear she might go insane.

I have raw chert and cut bloodstone ready to use in stockpiles. But I have no idea how to harvest bones. I tinkered around with stockpiles, but the chicken I had butchered wasn't touched at all.

Check her preferences. I've had some dwarves refuse to use anything except their preferred gem (only when it was already exposed in a wall somewhere, don't know if that matters).

Also, are you sure it's cut gems and not rough gems? Easy mixup.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56392 on: November 12, 2021, 02:51:26 am »

...wiki says chickens provide 4 bones when butchered, maybe she wants more than 4 bones?

Dwarfs will want 1, 2, or 3 of any of the items on their list, not 4, unless you've found a way to mod it. However, if they have a list, they won't take the bones (later on the list) until after they take the things before them on the list. So the child isn't rejecting the bones, she's waiting until something else she needs is available before she goes to get the bones. If the chicken has been broken down into parts, that is. It needs to be more than slaughtered, it needs to be butchered for the bones to be provided.

Check her preferences. I've had some dwarves refuse to use anything except their preferred gem (only when it was already exposed in a wall somewhere, don't know if that matters).

They will choose their favourite gem or whatever if there's choice, but they'll take any gem you have if it's all that's available. I've had dorfs take gizzard stones because they were the only gems available. I suspect she DOES need rough gems, as there are already cut non-glass gems available, and I doubt you're out of stones in a fortress, unless all the stones are forbidden or something.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56393 on: November 12, 2021, 08:16:48 am »

They will choose their favourite gem or whatever if there's choice, but they'll take any gem you have if it's all that's available.

That's good to know. On second thought, this was metal bars and I had forbidden all except steel (in stocks menu) in the hopes of an artifact weapon. There is a good chance that the allowed steel was not pathable or something along those lines.

My fort - Gravemuscles - is of a civ that doesn't have iron. The humans have iron - and that's how I've made steel so far, through trading. Does anyone know that if I were to...say, conquer all of the human settlements - would iron become available through dwarven caravans?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56394 on: November 12, 2021, 08:17:49 am »

They are cut. I am 100% sure. She says "gems... shining..." too. So she wants cut gems.

If the gathering of materials works in a list, then bones must be on number 1. That'll explain it. Rocks and gems are readily available, yet she hasn't made a move at all to gather anything.

Here is the funny part. I actually only slaughtered the chicken, its skull lays in the refuse stockpile just a few meters away. And its mangled body stands in reach. But when I order a corpse to be butchered at the workshop, it just gave an error, saying that it needs unrotten corpses near it.

I think I know how to solve that though. I'll look it up on the wiki.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56395 on: November 12, 2021, 03:00:20 pm »

Here is the funny part. I actually only slaughtered the chicken, its skull lays in the refuse stockpile just a few meters away. And its mangled body stands in reach. But when I order a corpse to be butchered at the workshop, it just gave an error, saying that it needs unrotten corpses near it.

Slaughter implies butchery.  As soon as the animal is brought to the butcher's shop, it gets disassembled into a stack of bones (= 1 bone for purpose of moods).  Only if the animal dies of other causes do you need "butcher dead animal".  Under some conditions, deceased livestock cannot be butchered.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56396 on: November 12, 2021, 08:12:52 pm »

.... The humans have iron - and that's how I've made steel so far, through trading. Does anyone know that if I were to...say, conquer all of the human settlements - would iron become available through dwarven caravans?

I fear not, although your luck might yet be better than mine. I embarked several forts in high metal areas, and found iron, gold and silver, and so on, and then I moved on, and was hoping to have iron metal (and olivine) available in the embark screen, or at the very least in the caravans.... no luck. They apparently don't update what the Mountainhomes have on offer.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #56397 on: November 12, 2021, 08:37:09 pm »

I tried making thee tile cage trap hallways with a door at the end connect to my fort via sealable drawbridges as cavern entrances and the crundles are filling up the traps faster than I can butcher them to free cages and make new cages.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56398 on: November 13, 2021, 02:37:22 am »

Okay, the last child went stark raving mad because I couldn't figure out how to get bones. I still don't. I assigned a live animal to be captured, but that didn't do anything. I went to assign laborsi but even though there is people competent enough, they don't do it.

And now there is another child, also in a mood this onesdifferent, he just skecthes stuff. He wants cut gems(available), stone blocks(I just ordered them to be made, the dorfs on it), wood(available), and... bones(crap).

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56399 on: November 13, 2021, 04:21:22 am »

(z) opens stocks and status. Go to animals and order one or more to be butchered/slaughtered (from the menu, it's the same thing.) They'll be taken to a butcher workshops and sliced up.

If you don't have any animals there (so no tamed non-pets in the fort), assign a squad to wrestle or chop some wildlife to death. Set up a dump next to the butchershop, assign the dead animal and bits to be dumped, then unforbid them on arrival. A butcher should automatically slice them up.
Pages: 1 ... 3758 3759 [3760] 3761 3762 ... 3836