Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3760 3761 [3762] 3763 3764 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862316 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56415 on: November 16, 2021, 01:51:08 pm »

A farmer went into a mood. He demanded alot. Metal bars, raw gems, leather, stone, wood, and most importantly fabric. I have some spare fabric, but they are either cave spider silk, or wool.

I concluded that he wants plant fabric. I am now trying to figure out how to process kenaf into that.

I have produced plant cloth in time. And surprise, surprise, he instantly took it. My assumption was right. He is going to gather all the other thing now.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56416 on: November 16, 2021, 02:04:16 pm »

Okay, this sucked.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56417 on: November 16, 2021, 05:02:14 pm »

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)
Okay, this sucked.
I disagree. Keep some empty (binless) cup-only stockpiles near the booze. I love watching cups travel around the fortress.
Every time any dwarf drinks from the cup, they will have a happy thought. You can get away with a lot when everyone is happy.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:03:49 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56418 on: November 17, 2021, 09:51:22 am »

I am conducting a giant wild boar breeding program.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56419 on: November 19, 2021, 07:26:11 am »

My tame stray war tiger just ate two dwarves. WTF??? :o

So this tiger was chained near the artifact room. Suddenly my dwarves started to fear nearing him, stopped all their tasks nearby. I set it free and it attacked a few dwarves and killed them. I assigned it to the trainer and decided to chain it in my cavern entrance hall for defence. That's it. Now dwarves pass it it again.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:16:31 am by Aelwen »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56420 on: November 19, 2021, 07:49:39 am »

Well, after sending the goblin overlord back home, The Arena of Clenching built a small fort not far from the Dark Fortress.

Lastfist took about 3 years to go from tiny wagon to the most powerful military establishment in history. Total world domination was achieved. (Pocket world, though.)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56421 on: November 19, 2021, 06:17:50 pm »

My tame stray war tiger just ate two dwarves. WTF??? :o

So this tiger was chained near the artifact room. Suddenly my dwarves started to fear nearing him, stopped all their tasks nearby. I set it free and it attacked a few dwarves and killed them. I assigned it to the trainer and decided to chain it in my cavern entrance hall for defence. That's it. Now dwarves pass it it again.

Was the tiger trained by one of your (very brave) dwarves? Because if it was, it needs periodic retraining as otherwise it reverts to wild. If it was purchased tame, or born from tame parent tigers, then it will remain tame, otherwise this will happen again. Be prepared!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56422 on: November 20, 2021, 11:52:26 am »

We were besieged by the Undead.  We re-killed them all, only lost nine Dwarfs, and over two Months later We are still picking teeth out of the scenery.

Oh, and We are finally completing Our 32-Bed Hospital.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56423 on: November 20, 2021, 12:19:18 pm »

I'm sharing a discovery for those that don't know about it yet. 

It's now fort year 22 and I was wondering why no migrants had arrived since the king & queen arrived in year 17 of Gravearmor (current pop: 286), then I discovered this in the DFHack documentation:

fix/dead-units
Removes uninteresting dead units from the unit list. Doesn’t seem to give any noticeable performance gain, but migrants normally stop if the unit list grows to around 3000 units, and this script reduces it back.

When I ran the script my dead total was 3800 and it knocked it down to 230.  Now a 10 migrant wave  has arrived and I can continue on my progress toward 1000 dwarves without having to wait for so many babies!  (I'm under no illusions that I'll escape FPS death, it seems inevitable.)  Currently running at 8-15 FPS.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56424 on: November 20, 2021, 01:44:09 pm »

I'm sharing a discovery for those that don't know about it yet. 

It's now fort year 22 and I was wondering why no migrants had arrived since the king & queen arrived in year 17 of Gravearmor (current pop: 286), then I discovered this in the DFHack documentation:

fix/dead-units
Removes uninteresting dead units from the unit list. Doesn’t seem to give any noticeable performance gain, but migrants normally stop if the unit list grows to around 3000 units, and this script reduces it back.

When I ran the script my dead total was 3800 and it knocked it down to 230.  Now a 10 migrant wave  has arrived and I can continue on my progress toward 1000 dwarves without having to wait for so many babies!  (I'm under no illusions that I'll escape FPS death, it seems inevitable.)  Currently running at 8-15 FPS.

That sounds like quite a large fort to support 1000!  Are you building for that size now, or just scaling it up as the population grows? 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56425 on: November 20, 2021, 03:16:06 pm »

That sounds like quite a large fort to support 1000!  Are you building for that size now, or just scaling it up as the population grows?
I'm scaling it up as I go. This is the first time I've tried for something so large. I'm also being much less "protective" of my dwarfs than I used to be and it's more !FUN! and more fun.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56426 on: November 20, 2021, 08:28:31 pm »

I'm scaling it up as I go.

what size embark are you playing on?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56427 on: November 21, 2021, 06:54:06 am »

I'm scaling it up as I go. This is the first time I've tried for something so large. I'm also being much less "protective" of my dwarfs than I used to be and it's more !FUN! and more fun.

I reached 270 and my PC started DRAGGING
Respect for the project let us know how it goes

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56428 on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:03 am »

It's a 0.47.05 vanilla (with DFHack) 5x5 embark with a stream, lots of trees, and parts of it are rejuvenating revolting reanimating. Some pics were posted earlier in this thread, the round walled castle with weird towers. No drawbridges for safety allowed, only doors and traps.

I'm using it as a learning exercise for FPS preservation.  Not a lot of hope based on stuff I've read, but what the heck, I gotta learn for myself.

No petitions for guildhalls were accepted until the 21st year, now we've done two halls because they won't stop requesting them. It didn't seem to hurt their happiness too much. Gave them all a bed and cabinet in cramped common rooms up until about year 20 and now have the 60-odd regular military in spacious individual tower rooms. Slowly working on getting the civilians better quarters. So far I've only had to send 1 unhappy soul on a suicide mission (got captured by goblins) and 1 other took a walk off the plank into a 20z cavern pit.

Other than that, after all this time almost all adults are armed with steel and have been in squads long enough that only training 3 months/year has them legendary, then they train only 1 or 2 months. So I'm letting them all wander the 1st and now 2nd caverns, cleaning up the corpses and fighting the reanimated dead as they go. A few are getting pretty stressed, but those get taken off duty and mostly recover.  My focus now is finishing 2nd cavern cleanup and there are still TONS of corpses to dump-smash... 20 years of forgotten beasts slaughtering everything makes a mess.

I've had no werebeasts yet and wonder if it's because my start year was 5.

With DFHack I've just been using cleanowned to send worn clothing to the traders, and recently fix/drop webs, lastly fix/dead-units to get the migrants coming.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:26:32 am by Uthimienure »

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56429 on: November 21, 2021, 10:33:18 am »

Installed DFHack, seems to be very useful. New fort carved out in a small mountain. 66 pop now. One of the dwarves had created artifact silver table. Looted several monasteries and also razed one, massacring it's few inhabitants (I really needed some artifact books to trade). Abundance of silver; militia is mostly armed with silver maces and crossbows, sometimes with silver bolts. I wonder if they do increased damage against vampires. Survived a werecat attack, now preparing for my first siege.
Pages: 1 ... 3760 3761 [3762] 3763 3764 ... 3836