Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3764 3765 [3766] 3767 3768 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859055 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56475 on: December 23, 2021, 06:04:59 pm »

All 31 died.  DT showed rot in the joints and pancreas, and severe blood loss.
Made another level for 56 more coffins, currently 2 1/2 levels are full of the dead.
Armok must be pleased by all the blood.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56476 on: December 24, 2021, 01:11:52 am »

All 31 died.  DT showed rot in the joints and pancreas, and severe blood loss.
Made another level for 56 more coffins, currently 2 1/2 levels are full of the dead.
Armok must be pleased by all the blood.
*Bows head for a moment to honor the fallen 31...*
Keep those weaponless training programs going!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56477 on: December 24, 2021, 06:17:51 pm »

check out this embark I found while looking for a nicely forested river fortress location:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With huge, sheer cliffs of exposed limestone, and multiple levels of terrain, this geography is rather compelling. sadly I accidentally deleted the saved world after taking this image so the embark itself is lost to the void.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56478 on: December 25, 2021, 04:13:56 pm »

Nothing interesting happened at my previous forts, so I just deleted them out of boredom.

I generated a new, large world. Then embarked on a mountainless, forested continent where there were no dwarves, goblins and elves were constantly battling and humans were a small minority.

Even then, nothing interesting happened, for four years. There are four goblin civilisations and three elven ones, which constantly skirmish. I raided the small outer pits of each goblin civilisation, so they would declare war.

A roc and a fire breathing bird titan attacked, yes. But roc only landed on the pastures, killed a horse, a donkey foal and a cavy boar, was distracted by war dogs, killed one of them and then was immidiately finished off by a 10 ironclad axedwarves at once, and the titan only managed to kill one soldier and two wardogs with fire before some axedwarf managed to cut off its neck, killing it instantly. There is no separate head of it anywhere, so I assume the head is still attached to the body, somehow.

Almost flooded the fort trying to figure out how to build a well. Figured it out in the end. A cat foolishly went in and got stuck in the reservoir as it was sealed off. It gave birth to three doomed kittens as the room was filled to the brim with water. Then they all drowned in there. Poor kittens, they never knew an existence outside pain.

A goblin ''''''siege'''''' came around. 6 goblins, one human. They all died. The idiots really thought they could conquer a 190-dorf fort all by themselves. Their teeth now decorates the north west corner of the site.

Boooooriiiiiing!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 05:14:20 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56479 on: December 26, 2021, 07:05:10 am »

Checking the combat logs from a recent siege, 1 of the expendable dwarves was fighting a goblin pikeman who got his pike lodged firmly in the dwarf's left upper arm after landing a stab to the right upper leg.  The dwarf countered by hacking off the goblin's foot, but got his axe lodged in the goblin as well.  The dwarf frees his weapon first, and hacks off the goblin's other foot, and then pulls the copper pike out of his arm and drops it. 

In another encounter, 1 of the archers fired several arrows at a goblin hammerman until hitting both hands, the force from which caused the goblin to drop both his hammer and his shield.  The bowdwarf only then charged in, pulled off the goblin's helmet, and beat him with the bow.

Dwarves really know how to bring the pain.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56480 on: December 26, 2021, 12:28:54 pm »

A roc and a fire breathing bird titan attacked, yes. But roc only landed on the pastures, killed a horse, a donkey foal and a cavy boar, was distracted by war dogs, killed one of them and then was immidiately finished off by a 10 ironclad axedwarves at once, and the titan only managed to kill one soldier and two wardogs with fire before some axedwarf managed to cut off its neck, killing it instantly. There is no separate head of it anywhere, so I assume the head is still attached to the body, somehow.

I'm pretty sure heads are attached to necks now, just like hands are to arms or what have you. Severed neck basically = decapitation. There's just some very odd syntax with it (and it gets weird when a "neck" is biting people's shins)

That said, that's some fortunate work on your dudes' part. I've never had good luck with firebreathers so I stopped fighting them directly (one of the few exceptions to my reliance on soldiers, really.) Last time I ever fought one I lost like half a squad of guys. Dunno if it was heat or smoke buggering pathfinding that killed them.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56481 on: December 26, 2021, 05:12:52 pm »

One of my artifacts was stolen. A lead helm. Oh well.

Livestock population is really starting to take off into the roof. I guess I shouldn't be buying every animal cage from every caravan that comes by. The newcomers just add to the breeding population. It's starting to seriously lag.

But then, where am I going to spend the 600 stone crafts that I crank out all the time, and the countless cat and dog skull totems I have lying around? Whale shark leather parchment? Instrument pieces? Get real.

Though I do buy everything with the word "shark" in it. Humans bring those alot. They must have some balls to regularly hunt great white sharks, seeing that boats don't exist.

Why? Because having ☼tiger shark leather shoes☼ is coolio.

I established a zoo from all the exotic and mundane animals lying in my stockpiles. Bonobos, leopards, aardvarks, lizards, hyenas, snails, gray langurs and even a firefly is on display. Oh and there is also a goblinified elf boy that I caught. He is on a special display, so the dorfs can poke at him.

☼Bonobo Leather Trousers☼
yesssssssssssssss
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56482 on: December 27, 2021, 09:48:51 am »

Over a period of years I hollowed out 5 z-levels of the whole map to make an artificial cavern layer, filled it with water, and let it overgrow

Now my first trees have bloomed! Soon I'll have safe access to endless pastures, lumber, and cave plants!
I like how fungiwood in Starfox looks like a blooming fire, because that is what I thought it was at first! That's my official headcanon for the trees bioluminescence now! Mistakeable for a ball of flame!

To the left is one of five towers that dot the cave that house my entire fort with functions specific to each tower

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56483 on: December 27, 2021, 08:40:18 pm »

Now my first trees have bloomed!
FYI, apparently the trees remove the mud:
cutting down a cavern tree turns the floor tile it stood upon into stone (without mud on top of it), so caverns will eventually run out of trees unless you muddy them every few hundred years or so.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56484 on: December 30, 2021, 08:39:34 pm »

Seven figures stood by the banks of  a stream.  "Dancebrooks the Worshipful Butters" it was called.  "Funny.  A stream called a brook!  Have you ever heard of something so strange?", one of the figures asked another.  They were dwarves, hailing from The Treaty of Bending in the mountains nearby.  "The Virginal Clasps", they called themselves.  The other dwarf shrugged and suggested they get started.  They had come to this place, here in The Rounded Jungles of The Continent of Treaties in The Universe of Wonder, for a reason... To found a new fortress.  A fortress called "Pagefin".  The first dwarf nodded, and they began to strike the earth...

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Where We Are (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark Message (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark (Large) (click to show/hide)

((That's a 15-z waterfall, by the way...))

Edit:  We've just got our first artifact!

Spoiler: First Artifact (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Buff Phantom (click to show/hide)

Also:  I've been having a problem with monitor lizard attacks.  Does anyone know of a way to deal with them?  Preferably a method that doesn't require a military.  I've had problems with them in multiple forts, and they always seem to attack before I even have a chance to start making weapons and armor (sometimes before I've even emptied the embark wagon). I've currently got an immigrant miner who's flashing a red plus sign...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:30:34 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56485 on: December 31, 2021, 08:13:49 am »

Have you tried turtling?

My first project is a multi-z-level dry moat around my fortress. Only access is via a bridge. This usually takes a season or two. I turn off all outside labors (fishing and hinting), and I almost never have wildlife trouble.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56486 on: December 31, 2021, 09:19:57 am »

Also:  I've been having a problem with monitor lizard attacks.  Does anyone know of a way to deal with them?  Preferably a method that doesn't require a military.  I've had problems with them in multiple forts, and they always seem to attack before I even have a chance to start making weapons and armor (sometimes before I've even emptied the embark wagon). I've currently got an immigrant miner who's flashing a red plus sign...
Cage traps, perhaps?

cswp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56487 on: January 02, 2022, 12:04:27 pm »

Well, the fort, you see... I started a retaliation fort which would purge the dwarven hillocks of the undead abominations, which caused the collapse of my last fort. Rumor has it that the actual reason for the fate of the last fort was the boredom of some single dwarf, who just happened to open the gates as the undead were walking by, but there is no evidence to back up such drastic accusations.

Embarked in sinister surroundings, confidently believing that the three axedwarves and one marksdwarf will be able to fend off any early threats. Thus, when it started raining "filthy filth", I thought that "surely it's not so dangerous". No one lived to see the next morning.

OK, then, next avenger group!   

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56488 on: January 02, 2022, 03:20:05 pm »

I hit the jackpot!!!!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56489 on: January 02, 2022, 09:46:19 pm »

Life goes on in Pagefin...

The year 126 passed relatively uneventfully, with only three artifacts being produced:

Spoiler: Second Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Duskspark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Third Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Daubage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fourth Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clashesmanor (click to show/hide)

The year 127 was more eventful.  In addition to the three artifacts created:

Spoiler: Fifth Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parchmaze (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sixth Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Counselledhustled (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Seventh Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Squirtedevens (click to show/hide)

it seems that no less than four hillocks have decided to link themselves economically to us!

Spoiler: Equalportals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Murderrazors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Splatteredarrow (click to show/hide)
, and
Spoiler: Mischiefrelics (click to show/hide)

All was not well, however.  The year 127 also saw the arrival of a terrifying beast:

Spoiler: Werelizard (click to show/hide)

When the beast appeared, I created a burrow and civilian alert.  I then activated the alert and watched as my dwarves rushed inside.  Unfortunately, one of my fisherdwarves was to slow and my manager later ended up having to make several trips hauling them to a casket.  I tried to time things so that the lever to close the gates would be pulled just after the last (living) straggler had made it inside.  As luck would have it, however, just as I was about to give the order, the werelizard turned into a dwarf and high-tailed it off the map.  I then set about digging downwards and creating a communal catacombs and had my carpenter make some caskets.  In doing so, I discovered a the first cavern:

Spoiler: First Cavern (click to show/hide)

The year 128 has, thus far, been very interesting.  For Starters, it has witnessed the creation of two artifact, thus far:

Spoiler: Eighth Artifact (click to show/hide)

and

Spoiler: Ninth Artifact (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Practiceddawned (click to show/hide)

In addition, a couple of other, more "FUN" things have happened.

First let me tell you a little story.  When the elven caravan first arrived in the year 126, I didn't have anything to trade with them, and hadn't even dug out my trade depot yet.  When time came for them to arrive in the spring of the year 127, they were nowhere to be found (despite the fact that I had a functioning trade depot and crafts to trade with them by that time).  Similarly, when they were supposed to arrive this year, they didn't show...

Then to my surprise a group of six elven "invaders" ambushed one of my dwarves.  Having no military, I activated the civilian alert, and shut the gates just before the elves would have gotten inside (I had to work fast, as the elves moved with surprising speed).  With the exception of two fisherswarves that were slaughtered by the elves because they were too slow, I managed to get everyone inside.  The elves then set about massacring my livestock (my poultry was fine, however.  I'd already brought them underground).  Then human caravan showed up.  One of the elves was killed by one of my livestock, two more were killed by guards from the human caravan, and the rest fled the map.

More recently, a mystery has reared it's ugly head:  One of my fishcleaners has been found dead, completely drained of blood.  The justice screen calls it a murder, but there are no witnesses.  I don't have a fortress guard or a hammerer, and I'm not sure what to do...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 3764 3765 [3766] 3767 3768 ... 3836