Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3766 3767 [3768] 3769 3770 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787561 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56505 on: January 09, 2022, 05:21:35 pm »

Cool! I haven't seen a prophet visit a fortress, yet. I wonder if you can recruit them.

I'm actually not sure. If there has ever been an instance of scholars visiting libraries getting recruited, then I'd imagine religious visitors like monks/prophets/etc. could be.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56506 on: January 09, 2022, 06:16:29 pm »

In the same fort, I also just found out that the newly appointed queen of my civ was the original expedition leader to my fort, and a farmer no less. She helped build the place from the ground up, so it's kinda fitting. What a come up
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56507 on: January 10, 2022, 01:05:17 am »

A giant weremammoth attacked.

30 ironclad dwarves tore him apart before he could even do as much as lift his hand.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56508 on: January 12, 2022, 07:02:42 am »

Been awhile since I played DF, loaded it up for fun and started a new fort with LNP and the beginner embark option.

My hunter decided to go after a giant tortoise. He has a hunting dog. This dog has been attacking this tortoise for at least a season and a half, if not longer. The tortoise's shell is fractured and torn open, but other than that, no injuries. The dog is also fine, just constantly collapsing from exhaustion.

I need more migrants so I can build a military. Need to kill the thing so this poor dog can have a break.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56509 on: January 15, 2022, 02:11:16 pm »

Just had an armorsmith cancel a mood and go stark raving mad only two weeks after starting the mood.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56510 on: January 16, 2022, 04:19:28 pm »

In the same fort, I also just found out that the newly appointed queen of my civ was the original expedition leader to my fort, and a farmer no less. She helped build the place from the ground up, so it's kinda fitting. What a come up

She better get a fancy room!

I've been working on a fortress called Swordbeach, named for the ocean in the bottom corner of the map.  Some highlights so far include:

* Much of the map is covered "fetid murk", a grotesque liquid that falls from the sky and causes blisters on contact.  And you can't walk through it without getting it on every inch of your body, including teeth and eyeballs.
* I dug a big shaft from the surface to the first cavern layer, in a failed attempt to dig a well.  A Forgotten Beast (giant eyeless buzzard that shoots webs) flew up to the surface and proceeded to kill at least 90 dwarves, a small army of invading goblins, all my animals, and dozens of birds.  It left webs in the sky, and birds are still dying from getting caught in them and falling to the ground.
** Eventually the the Beast flew back down to the caverns and wandered out of sight, leaving me with just a mayor and a baby.  When it came back years later, I killed it by causing a cave-in directly above it.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56511 on: January 17, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »

She better get a fancy room!

I've been working on a fortress called Swordbeach, named for the ocean in the bottom corner of the map.  Some highlights so far include:

* Much of the map is covered "fetid murk", a grotesque liquid that falls from the sky and causes blisters on contact.  And you can't walk through it without getting it on every inch of your body, including teeth and eyeballs.
* I dug a big shaft from the surface to the first cavern layer, in a failed attempt to dig a well.  A Forgotten Beast (giant eyeless buzzard that shoots webs) flew up to the surface and proceeded to kill at least 90 dwarves, a small army of invading goblins, all my animals, and dozens of birds.  It left webs in the sky, and birds are still dying from getting caught in them and falling to the ground.
** Eventually the the Beast flew back down to the caverns and wandered out of sight, leaving me with just a mayor and a baby.  When it came back years later, I killed it by causing a cave-in directly above it.

That is a story of legends

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56512 on: January 18, 2022, 12:34:10 am »

Thanks!  The story isn't over yet, but most of the forgotten beasts (who haven't killed eachother) are walled off safely now. 

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56513 on: January 18, 2022, 12:17:32 pm »

Learnvault is a stereotypical Eastern monastery.  So the official religion must preach rebirth, and the only available religion for that is worship of Nongnob Gristlydrives the Simple Callus.  The monks have made Nongnob an elaborate temple, many wonderful statues and countless decorations. 

Nongnob is a hydra, not a deity.  He has existed since before time began, though, and has killed more things than infection.  In case Nongnob shows up and tries to kill them all (not a usual Eastern monastic issue, probably), the monks practice their forms and build cage traps.  The monks really want to talk to Nongnob about this whole rebirth thing.  (Note: all the devotion has not increased the number of worshipers.) 

Speaking of !!SCIENCE!!, the monks were given the research question:  Is the sand-blast from a collapsing ceiling capable of propelling a test chicken vertically into the air?  A small test rig showed that the sand-blast does travel vertically itself, and it does push chickens horizontally.  The Giant Blowgun was built, and in multiple trials, positive vertical travel of chickens was not observed (exception: when the chickens bounced up on hitting the bottom of the Blowgun after a ten to fifteen urist drop).  The answer to the research question was: No. 

Several chickens gave their lives in the study.  Some interesting effects were noted.  Further research is planned.  Acquisition of a senior mathematician is desired (our dabbler has spent the last five years pondering positional notation, whatever that is, and did not assist in this study).

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56514 on: January 18, 2022, 10:49:49 pm »

Speaking of !!SCIENCE!!, the monks were given the research question:  Is the sand-blast from a collapsing ceiling capable of propelling a test chicken vertically into the air?  A small test rig showed that the sand-blast does travel vertically itself, and it does push chickens horizontally.  The Giant Blowgun was built, and in multiple trials, positive vertical travel of chickens was not observed (exception: when the chickens bounced up on hitting the bottom of the Blowgun after a ten to fifteen urist drop).  The answer to the research question was: No. 

amazing
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56515 on: January 20, 2022, 12:10:09 am »

I truly hope those monks get a chance to meet that hydra.

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56516 on: January 20, 2022, 11:28:18 am »

I truly hope those monks get a chance to meet that hydra.

Me, too.  The best possible addition to the temple, and the monks can find out if rebirth is as real as necromancy.  Biggest problem will be keeping all the legendary ax monks from mobbing His Exaltedness.  Good incentive to keep playing this one.

EDIT:  After hundreds of statues (a major export) and decorations, I got an image of Nongnob being struck down by an unnamed human over a hundred years ago.  Rest in peace, you rampaging devourer and object of belief.  Your cult will live forever!  (Note: With Nongnob decorations and statues all over, the number of Nongnob worshippers in Learnvault has gone up by one, without any new immigrants or residents.  Maybe it's working.)

EDIT2: It's not working.  My dorfs have sold over 1500 Nongnob statues and countless cloth/silk caps with Nongnob decorations.  No Nongnob worhippers, pilgrims, prophets or suspicious-looking hydras have manifested.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:55:27 pm by Sarvok »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56517 on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:17 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance of it's bones still being in the location where it died?  Perhaps it could be revived by a necromancer, or an Adventurer could bring back its bones for the shrine?

I love the Hydra temple idea, and anything involving influencing religion.

===

In the latest Swordbeach news, a new Forgotten Beast arrived - a giant winged, feathered slug with deadly spittle.  It flew around the cavern for a little while, before apparently getting caught in an old leftover web from Omethu (the Forgotten Beast who killed almost everyone, 15 years ago), plummeting to the cavern floor, and splitting into gore.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:46:26 pm by BodyGripper »

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56518 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:29 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance of it's bones still being in the location where it died?  Perhaps it could be revived by a necromancer, or an Adventurer could bring back its bones for the shrine?

I love the Hydra temple idea, and anything involving influencing religion.

===

In the latest Swordbeach news, a new Forgotten Beast arrived - a giant winged, feathered slug with deadly spittle.  It flew around the cavern for a little while, before apparently getting caught in an old leftover web from Omethu (the Forgotten Beast who killed almost everyone, 15 years ago), plummeting to the cavern floor, and splitting into gore.

Good idea about getting more info on Nongnob's remains.  Since he was all about muck, strength and rebirth, he just might show up eventually, reborn.  To help Him find us, spread the good news of Nongnob and earn some nice coin, my dorfs are selling the traders about ~20 quality  Nongnob statues a year.  Right now we aren't getting any Nongnob prophets or pilgrims, but hopefully that will change as the Word gets out.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56519 on: January 23, 2022, 11:58:26 pm »

Having to deal with some horrible little giant monkeys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lucky it ran into the town's cathedral, and so I was able to lock the door before it made off with THAT.
Pages: 1 ... 3766 3767 [3768] 3769 3770 ... 3835