Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3767 3768 [3769] 3770 3771 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773991 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56520 on: January 29, 2022, 12:58:14 pm »

I began my first mega project: a cathedral to Toral, the dwarven goddess of laws, day, and light worshipped by Queen Kikrost. I learned to really appreciate the one mod/add-on in Lazy Newb Pack that brings the last selected building material (when constructing walls and floors and stuff) to the top of the list every time. Building scaffolding (and non-square structures in general) without it is a pain in the ass.

Spoiler: Floor One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Floor Two (click to show/hide)

The walls are all marble, the inner floor will be all granite, the outer floor will be 1 line of marble, then another of orthoclase, then another of something else (cobaltite? granite?). Hopefully, it will have at least 3 above-ground floors, with outward-facing statues on the 2nd and 3rd stories. In retrospect, the statues should have all been marble and Toral-themed, but I had so many rock statues laying around that I just wanted to have placed somewhere.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56521 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:49 pm »

Lets just say leaving Geese and Turkeys to breed unattended will lead to some explosive population growth. Next project: Operation Thanksgiving. Lets see if I can salvage this fort from the FPS death it's fallen into...
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56522 on: February 04, 2022, 08:36:29 pm »

You might want to use dfhack and activate fast dwarf, make twenty butchers shops and tanners (outdoors so your halls don't fill with miasma) and assign everyone as butchers/tanners, and pause all other work until they're all butchered and their products put away as best possible.

Or butcher a hundred or so and use dfhack to fill the rest of the hatcheries with 1/7 lava to incinerate the rest.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56523 on: February 05, 2022, 08:18:04 am »

You might want to use dfhack and activate fast dwarf, make twenty butchers shops and tanners (outdoors so your halls don't fill with miasma) and assign everyone as butchers/tanners, and pause all other work until they're all butchered and their products put away as best possible.

Or butcher a hundred or so and use dfhack to fill the rest of the hatcheries with 1/7 lava to incinerate the rest.

There's 10 butcheries/tanneries at the moment, so half way there~! Been able to cull the number down to 2700 now. The butcher line is still 1500 animals deep though. Steady we go. Trying to keep cheating to minimal, cause of my greed for ☼Wealth☼ (though it's not lacking, just greedy..). I have been tactically nuking all fertilized eggs though to stop extras from hatching so the fine line of what's acceptable level of cheating is becoming really blurry.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56524 on: February 05, 2022, 07:15:40 pm »

There's 10 butcheries/tanneries at the moment, so half way there~! Been able to cull the number down to 2700 now. The butcher line is still 1500 animals deep though. Steady we go. Trying to keep cheating to minimal, cause of my greed for ☼Wealth☼ (though it's not lacking, just greedy..). I have been tactically nuking all fertilized eggs though to stop extras from hatching so the fine line of what's acceptable level of cheating is becoming really blurry.
You could probably also pasture the remainder in some large pasture, then pour magma on them there, at least if they're wandering around the fort rather than all in one place.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56525 on: February 06, 2022, 04:19:34 pm »

I'm picking up the game for the first time in a few years. Decided to build a moat and fill it with magma, as you do, because what could possibly go wrong? The z-level with the top of my pump stack looks vaguely like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is just as it should be. But the level just above it is what has me scared:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those little 1s running around are terrifying. They are very clearly above the level of the screw pump; if I loo[k] at them, they say "Lava [1/7]". The moat runs around the entire map, so it's going to be a while before it reaches the other side, but I'm pumping into a hillside; the west side of the map is flat land, one z-level up from the screw pump. So if there's magma at that level, there's going to be a lot of burnination going on.

I don't understand how there is magma above the screw pump. Nothing in my years of experience with pumps or the wiki points to this behavior as any kind of possibility. Has something changed in the last couple of years?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56526 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:35 pm »

I don't understand how there is magma above the screw pump. Nothing in my years of experience with pumps or the wiki points to this behavior as any kind of possibility. Has something changed in the last couple of years?

The only possibility that comes to my mind is cave-ins raising liquids.  That's how magma pistons work.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56527 on: February 06, 2022, 04:57:04 pm »

The only possibility that comes to my mind is cave-ins raising liquids.  That's how magma pistons work.

That's not a bad thought, actually. There was one odd random cave-in on the surface, near the moat dig site, long after the digging was done and after the fill started. Never found out what it was, and I thought it was just a tree collapsing. That could account for a few bits of magma here and there. If that's the case, shutting off the pump for a bit should clear it right up.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56528 on: February 11, 2022, 10:08:27 am »

I started a new fort about half a week ago. This time, I tried doing all the things differently from how I usually play: instead of me trying to find the best spot in a wooded area in a world that has about 5 years, I chose to go with an icy deserted tundra, the Shaken Frost, on a small island a long shot from the main continent all the races are warring on. Also, did I mention the aquifer?

I also created a document, in which I am writing down all the happenings and peculiarities of my world, taking the role of expedition leader or mayor. It was just at that point, that I just noticed how many things in world-building terms I missed in my last few forts. I should really take more time instead of just building and staring at my own belly.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56529 on: February 11, 2022, 05:16:26 pm »

I also created a document, in which I am writing down all the happenings and peculiarities of my world, taking the role of expedition leader or mayor. It was just at that point, that I just noticed how many things in world-building terms I missed in my last few forts. I should really take more time instead of just building and staring at my own belly.
Are you planning to share this as a story fort?

------------------

Gravearmor continues and the 52nd migrant wave pushed the citizen count to 354.  Running at about 8 fps, nothing serious happened recently, fort year 26.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 05:43:23 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56530 on: February 11, 2022, 05:31:33 pm »

My fort is now seven years old!

Ten dwarves died so far. 7 by depression. 1 by failed mood, 2 by drowning.

I breached the caverns, and then all the soil underground started to get covered by cave fungus. Oh, and all the mud too. My gosh.

A cyclops arrived. Faced instant death. No big surprise. Paid it no mind. Until I saw that some idiot dwarf had pulled its corpse indoors, and miasma being everywhere.

A long time ago, I had captured some wild capybaras and trained them, not tamed tho. They did have trainers, but as the fort grew and became more and more convoluted, the trainers stopped training them at all. I just kinda ignored them turning semi-wild, I assigned them all trainers and forgot about it.

Suddenly I was spammed with 10 subsequent alerts about capybaras reverting into a wild state. They were in innermost pasture, and as they scared all the animals around them, they moved into the outer pastures, only adding to the large tidal wave of farm animals all consumed by abject terror for some stupid reason.

The animals all descended into the fortress. Some are still in the corridors, waiting to be pastured.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56531 on: February 11, 2022, 06:43:55 pm »

Are you planning to share this as a story fort?

------------------

Gravearmor continues and the 52nd migrant wave pushed the citizen count to 354.  Running at about 8 fps, nothing serious happened recently, fort year 26.

Yeah, but I fear not much that people would find interesting is happening. I might open up a thread in the stories board when I am done with my stupid perpetual water wheel contraption, but I have the problem that my dwarvesare too busy trying to store all the berries I over-picked and are neglecting their other jobs, causing massive amounts of rotting food everywhere.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56532 on: February 14, 2022, 07:10:53 am »

I've gotten three Legendary Weaponsmiths from a single migrant wave. This wave also had a Legendary Bone Carver, plus I had one from the first migrant wave, plus another about to happen because of a mood. I've also gotten a Legendary Leatherworker and Stonecrafter.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56533 on: February 19, 2022, 07:02:10 pm »

Decided to finally let my old buggy fortress rest, and started a new one with a fresh world. Forgot to vet my immigrants and citizenship requests, now there's 25 necromancers in the fortress. Welp.
(The world itself has 10 Necro towers so far so.. can't beat them, join them?)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56534 on: February 26, 2022, 04:45:42 am »

Started a fresh embark because I felt like building around a waterfall. I have dug out three rooms. I have built a mason's, a carpenter's, and a kitchen, as well as two chairs, two tables, and a bed.

On 250-2-4, less than three weeks after I embarked, the forest retreat of Viperdoctrine, containing some 50 elves, looked to my thriving economy for its future prosperity. A little desperate?

Also, I have lots of iron, no coal, and I'm in a thick forest. This does not bode well for future relations.

Edit: On 250-2-6, the forest retreat of AdoredAttacks also linked itself to me economically. Seriously, guys, there's thirsty and then there's just plain sad.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:53:02 am by doublestrafe »
Pages: 1 ... 3767 3768 [3769] 3770 3771 ... 3835