Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787238 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56535 on: February 26, 2022, 06:51:46 am »

Sounds interesting!  Keep us posted please!

Edit: On 250-2-6, the forest retreat of AdoredAttacks also linked itself to me economically. Seriously, guys, there's thirsty and then there's just plain sad.

The elves go by the philosophy of "if you can't beat them, eat them join them"

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56536 on: February 26, 2022, 07:43:35 am »

I'm setting up a program of early clear-cutting to get in as much as possible before the elves start trying to make demands. It's not that I'm worried about beating them, but dealing with fifty ambushes at a time is just exhausting.

Speaking of trees, a humanoid necromancer's experiment has very kindly announced itself by falling out of one on the far side of the waterfall and pulping both arms. The nearest necromancer's tower is 16 tiles away including diagonals, so now I'm not sure if I need to expect frequent visits. I'm rethinking my goal of making this fortress focused on above-ground building, at least.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56537 on: February 28, 2022, 07:46:37 am »

Mifawa Thepapari, an Elf Dancer, eventually petitioned for citizenship. I figured maybe I could see if I could get her to cut down some trees, but it turns out I really like her:
She personally would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted to a great mining pit (after being caught in the rain in 251). She dreams of becoming a legendary warrior.

Also, she's only 21 years old and the worst thing that seems to have happened to her was getting caught in the rain and missing her family, but she already doesn't really care about anything anymore. I think she's going through an elf-teenage goth rebellious phase. I'm giving her a hammer, and seeing how well she takes to smashing things.

In other news, I've built a sky bridge from the edge of the map that turns into a spiral ramp down the waterfall. I'm in the process of lining the entire thing with clear glass windows. Shame the caravans won't appreciate the view.

I just watched my count stick a yellow bullhead in one of his chests. In his tomb. This does not seem like good planning.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56538 on: March 01, 2022, 06:32:48 pm »

new lakeside embark with a stream:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56539 on: March 03, 2022, 01:42:36 pm »

I recently created a world with hardly any mega beasts, no necromancy, were-people curses or any of that, just to see what would happen in a more “relatively peaceful” sort of world.
Turns out, with no giant beasts to cull the population and give people something to do, the population of humans and elves exploded, and they went to war with each other instead.
250 years later, Half a dozen wars with thousands of casualties on each side, less than 100 kobolds remain in the world, even less goblins.
On the bright side, The dwarf population seems pretty darn healthy, so hopefully all this equates to a pretty easy-going and laid-back fortress mode.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56540 on: March 03, 2022, 08:45:20 pm »

Thanks to witnessing the annihilation of nearly 240 elves and 130 war animals from the safety of Mama Marksdwarf's arms in a pillbox, the fortress of Ringlabor now has a 1-month-old who doesn't care about anything anymore. Is this a record for desensitization?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56541 on: March 05, 2022, 10:54:26 am »

The forgotten beast bites the militia captain in the fourth toe, left foot, but the attack is deflected by the militia captain's ☼intricate adamantine low boot☼!
The forgotten beast latches on firmly!
The militia captain strikes the forgotten beast in the upper body with his ☼copper shield☼, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
The flying {≡iron bolt≡} strikes the forgotten beast in the left upper leg, fracturing the bone!
A tendon has been torn!

The forgotten beast shakes the militia captain around by the fourth toe, left foot and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The fourth toe, left foot is ripped away and remains in The forgotten beast's grip!
The forgotten beast lets the Stukos Momuztherleth's fourth toe, left foot drop away as It attacks.

Either the word "boot" or the word "deflected" doesn't mean what I think it means.

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56542 on: March 05, 2022, 12:56:33 pm »

I got a really nice one started. Magnetite in abundance above the caverns, and both a magma pipe and two edge lakes on the first cavern level. But, between a few of my dwarves being obsessed with cleaning, putrid muck rain (OK, so they do have something that needs to be cleaned), and having needs that are going to be hard to meet without sacrificing the security and health of the fortress, until I can get a bigger population, I might end up losing to a tantrum before the second year is out, instead of zombies, an FB, or the clowns. But, if I appease them, I don't be able to protect and start using the caverns, set up defenses for new migrants, prepare for trade, start the metal industry (also to help defense), and so on. But, my farmer is one of them, along with my leader/mason. So, I can't really isolate them, either.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56543 on: March 06, 2022, 02:54:34 am »

Either the word "boot" or the word "deflected" doesn't mean what I think it means.

This makes them sound more like foot-gloves.

I got a really nice one started. [...]

Wow, the drama!  The tension!  Pray for their mental wellness in these cursed lands.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #56544 on: March 06, 2022, 06:40:14 pm »

Latching and shaking completely ignOrcs armor, you know.  :P

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56545 on: March 09, 2022, 03:17:34 am »

Things have been going well in the peaceful land i'd created, a little 'too' peaceful, so I decided to start digging down to see what sort of trouble I could stir up beneath my fortress.
Kept digging till I breached a cavern quite a bit closer to the surface than I was expecting.

Webs, webs everywhere, and a big, fat cave spider lurking off in the distance.  Hmm.. can't have that.
So I send my copper-garbed military in for thier first big fight in the 3 years since they were drafted.
The 4 of them that showed up first immediately got webbed, poisoned, and shaken to death, fancy armor be damned.  Spider just bit right through it.  Well, this certainly sucks.  I made a mental note for the future to wait for all them to muster together before charging into danger.

Meanwhile, one of my 1st wave stone masons shuffled over to grab the gear from his fallen comrades before reinforcements arrived,  casually beating the spider into a pile of gore with nothing but his bare fists as he did so.

...I just..  :o
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56546 on: March 10, 2022, 09:13:25 am »

My new fortress seems like a paradise at first glance - Joyous Wilds, plenty of trees, lots of fruit, a stream for moat creation, fish and water, pleasant weather (just cold enough for the stream to freeze for construction FUN), two shallow caverns, plenty of giant horrible animals to tame. But... If it's too good to be true, it's not true. After diligently digging and searching for the military metals and running into a plenty of uncut gems, silver, and gold sources, I cheated and checked through DFhack... There is none (except for adamantium somewhere deep down). No ores for Iron, no ores for Copper, no ores for Tin. *deep breath* Fuuuu... Whelp. Time to "forge" some lasting "friendships" with other civilizations for "healthy" trade relations.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56547 on: March 13, 2022, 02:31:08 pm »

In my current fort, a forgotten beast called The Profane attacked while all of my competent soldiers were on missions. With a name like that, I'd hope for something like a native platinum humanoid with toxic vapors or a giant steel insect, the sort of beast that could wipe out my fort and live up to its name.

It was a water blob that got killed by a civilian in one punch. I am so disappointed.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56548 on: March 13, 2022, 03:26:42 pm »

It was a water blob that got killed by a civilian in one punch. I am so disappointed.

Last time I dealt with a water blob, I ended up minus like 8-9 crossbowmen (I forget exactly, but the odd men out were asleep at the time,) because said blob spewed up a deadly gas cloud right before the bolts connected and reduced it to inert puddles.

They suffered severe bloating, turning them into blood bags that subsequently suffered from mass muscle necrosis due to extreme swelling and many died en route to the hospital, and several died on the operating table even while the surgeons where under the effect of superdwarf from DFHack removing the damaged tissue as quickly as they physically could.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56549 on: March 14, 2022, 07:51:52 am »

Last time I dealt with a water blob, I ended up minus like 8-9 crossbowmen (I forget exactly, but the odd men out were asleep at the time,) because said blob spewed up a deadly gas cloud right before the bolts connected and reduced it to inert puddles.

They suffered severe bloating, turning them into blood bags that subsequently suffered from mass muscle necrosis due to extreme swelling and many died en route to the hospital, and several died on the operating table even while the surgeons where under the effect of superdwarf from DFHack removing the damaged tissue as quickly as they physically could.

That sounds like a hideously mean fb. Super useful syndrome, but so weak that it would have been liable to accidental death if used in a trap. Then again, if you were actually fighting it (which you were) instead of trying to catch it, then it's probably fortunate that you didn't have to deal with an fb made out of actual materials, since that would probably be a dead military there.
Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 3835