Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 3779

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4789740 times)

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56535 on: January 18, 2022, 12:17:32 pm »

Learnvault is a stereotypical Eastern monastery.  So the official religion must preach rebirth, and the only available religion for that is worship of Nongnob Gristlydrives the Simple Callus.  The monks have made Nongnob an elaborate temple, many wonderful statues and countless decorations. 

Nongnob is a hydra, not a deity.  He has existed since before time began, though, and has killed more things than infection.  In case Nongnob shows up and tries to kill them all (not a usual Eastern monastic issue, probably), the monks practice their forms and build cage traps.  The monks really want to talk to Nongnob about this whole rebirth thing.  (Note: all the devotion has not increased the number of worshipers.) 

Speaking of !!SCIENCE!!, the monks were given the research question:  Is the sand-blast from a collapsing ceiling capable of propelling a test chicken vertically into the air?  A small test rig showed that the sand-blast does travel vertically itself, and it does push chickens horizontally.  The Giant Blowgun was built, and in multiple trials, positive vertical travel of chickens was not observed (exception: when the chickens bounced up on hitting the bottom of the Blowgun after a ten to fifteen urist drop).  The answer to the research question was: No. 

Several chickens gave their lives in the study.  Some interesting effects were noted.  Further research is planned.  Acquisition of a senior mathematician is desired (our dabbler has spent the last five years pondering positional notation, whatever that is, and did not assist in this study).

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56536 on: January 18, 2022, 10:49:49 pm »

Speaking of !!SCIENCE!!, the monks were given the research question:  Is the sand-blast from a collapsing ceiling capable of propelling a test chicken vertically into the air?  A small test rig showed that the sand-blast does travel vertically itself, and it does push chickens horizontally.  The Giant Blowgun was built, and in multiple trials, positive vertical travel of chickens was not observed (exception: when the chickens bounced up on hitting the bottom of the Blowgun after a ten to fifteen urist drop).  The answer to the research question was: No. 

amazing
Remember kids: a good fortress is a bunker, a great fortress is a tomb!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56537 on: January 20, 2022, 12:10:09 am »

I truly hope those monks get a chance to meet that hydra.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56538 on: January 20, 2022, 11:28:18 am »

I truly hope those monks get a chance to meet that hydra.

Me, too.  The best possible addition to the temple, and the monks can find out if rebirth is as real as necromancy.  Biggest problem will be keeping all the legendary ax monks from mobbing His Exaltedness.  Good incentive to keep playing this one.

EDIT:  After hundreds of statues (a major export) and decorations, I got an image of Nongnob being struck down by an unnamed human over a hundred years ago.  Rest in peace, you rampaging devourer and object of belief.  Your cult will live forever!  (Note: With Nongnob decorations and statues all over, the number of Nongnob worshippers in Learnvault has gone up by one, without any new immigrants or residents.  Maybe it's working.)

EDIT2: It's not working.  My dorfs have sold over 1500 Nongnob statues and countless cloth/silk caps with Nongnob decorations.  No Nongnob worhippers, pilgrims, prophets or suspicious-looking hydras have manifested.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:55:27 pm by Sarvok »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56539 on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:17 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance of it's bones still being in the location where it died?  Perhaps it could be revived by a necromancer, or an Adventurer could bring back its bones for the shrine?

I love the Hydra temple idea, and anything involving influencing religion.

===

In the latest Swordbeach news, a new Forgotten Beast arrived - a giant winged, feathered slug with deadly spittle.  It flew around the cavern for a little while, before apparently getting caught in an old leftover web from Omethu (the Forgotten Beast who killed almost everyone, 15 years ago), plummeting to the cavern floor, and splitting into gore.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:46:26 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56540 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:29 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance of it's bones still being in the location where it died?  Perhaps it could be revived by a necromancer, or an Adventurer could bring back its bones for the shrine?

I love the Hydra temple idea, and anything involving influencing religion.

===

In the latest Swordbeach news, a new Forgotten Beast arrived - a giant winged, feathered slug with deadly spittle.  It flew around the cavern for a little while, before apparently getting caught in an old leftover web from Omethu (the Forgotten Beast who killed almost everyone, 15 years ago), plummeting to the cavern floor, and splitting into gore.

Good idea about getting more info on Nongnob's remains.  Since he was all about muck, strength and rebirth, he just might show up eventually, reborn.  To help Him find us, spread the good news of Nongnob and earn some nice coin, my dorfs are selling the traders about ~20 quality  Nongnob statues a year.  Right now we aren't getting any Nongnob prophets or pilgrims, but hopefully that will change as the Word gets out.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56541 on: January 23, 2022, 11:58:26 pm »

Having to deal with some horrible little giant monkeys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lucky it ran into the town's cathedral, and so I was able to lock the door before it made off with THAT.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
« Reply #56542 on: January 29, 2022, 12:58:14 pm »

I began my first mega project: a cathedral to Toral, the dwarven goddess of laws, day, and light worshipped by Queen Kikrost. I learned to really appreciate the one mod/add-on in Lazy Newb Pack that brings the last selected building material (when constructing walls and floors and stuff) to the top of the list every time. Building scaffolding (and non-square structures in general) without it is a pain in the ass.

Spoiler: Floor One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Floor Two (click to show/hide)

The walls are all marble, the inner floor will be all granite, the outer floor will be 1 line of marble, then another of orthoclase, then another of something else (cobaltite? granite?). Hopefully, it will have at least 3 above-ground floors, with outward-facing statues on the 2nd and 3rd stories. In retrospect, the statues should have all been marble and Toral-themed, but I had so many rock statues laying around that I just wanted to have placed somewhere.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56543 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:49 pm »

Lets just say leaving Geese and Turkeys to breed unattended will lead to some explosive population growth. Next project: Operation Thanksgiving. Lets see if I can salvage this fort from the FPS death it's fallen into...
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56544 on: February 04, 2022, 08:36:29 pm »

You might want to use dfhack and activate fast dwarf, make twenty butchers shops and tanners (outdoors so your halls don't fill with miasma) and assign everyone as butchers/tanners, and pause all other work until they're all butchered and their products put away as best possible.

Or butcher a hundred or so and use dfhack to fill the rest of the hatcheries with 1/7 lava to incinerate the rest.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56545 on: February 05, 2022, 08:18:04 am »

You might want to use dfhack and activate fast dwarf, make twenty butchers shops and tanners (outdoors so your halls don't fill with miasma) and assign everyone as butchers/tanners, and pause all other work until they're all butchered and their products put away as best possible.

Or butcher a hundred or so and use dfhack to fill the rest of the hatcheries with 1/7 lava to incinerate the rest.

There's 10 butcheries/tanneries at the moment, so half way there~! Been able to cull the number down to 2700 now. The butcher line is still 1500 animals deep though. Steady we go. Trying to keep cheating to minimal, cause of my greed for ☼Wealth☼ (though it's not lacking, just greedy..). I have been tactically nuking all fertilized eggs though to stop extras from hatching so the fine line of what's acceptable level of cheating is becoming really blurry.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56546 on: February 05, 2022, 07:15:40 pm »

There's 10 butcheries/tanneries at the moment, so half way there~! Been able to cull the number down to 2700 now. The butcher line is still 1500 animals deep though. Steady we go. Trying to keep cheating to minimal, cause of my greed for ☼Wealth☼ (though it's not lacking, just greedy..). I have been tactically nuking all fertilized eggs though to stop extras from hatching so the fine line of what's acceptable level of cheating is becoming really blurry.
You could probably also pasture the remainder in some large pasture, then pour magma on them there, at least if they're wandering around the fort rather than all in one place.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56547 on: February 06, 2022, 04:19:34 pm »

I'm picking up the game for the first time in a few years. Decided to build a moat and fill it with magma, as you do, because what could possibly go wrong? The z-level with the top of my pump stack looks vaguely like this:

Which is just as it should be. But the level just above it is what has me scared:

Those little 1s running around are terrifying. They are very clearly above the level of the screw pump; if I loo[k] at them, they say "Lava [1/7]". The moat runs around the entire map, so it's going to be a while before it reaches the other side, but I'm pumping into a hillside; the west side of the map is flat land, one z-level up from the screw pump. So if there's magma at that level, there's going to be a lot of burnination going on.

I don't understand how there is magma above the screw pump. Nothing in my years of experience with pumps or the wiki points to this behavior as any kind of possibility. Has something changed in the last couple of years?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my Invisible, Inc. mods
« Reply #56548 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:35 pm »

I don't understand how there is magma above the screw pump. Nothing in my years of experience with pumps or the wiki points to this behavior as any kind of possibility. Has something changed in the last couple of years?

The only possibility that comes to my mind is cave-ins raising liquids.  That's how magma pistons work.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56549 on: February 06, 2022, 04:57:04 pm »

The only possibility that comes to my mind is cave-ins raising liquids.  That's how magma pistons work.

That's not a bad thought, actually. There was one odd random cave-in on the surface, near the moat dig site, long after the digging was done and after the fill started. Never found out what it was, and I thought it was just a tree collapsing. That could account for a few bits of magma here and there. If that's the case, shutting off the pump for a bit should clear it right up.
Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 3779