Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3769 3770 [3771] 3772 3773 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855756 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56550 on: March 14, 2022, 09:27:59 am »

Nothing interesting going on, usual times. I scroll up and down, and some trees to be cut on the surface, while managing a strange mood.

But then, as I scroll up to the surface again, like 10 seconds after ordering the tree cutting, I see a troll in the entrance of the fort, fighting with a dozen dwarves, and three wild dralthas just hanging around the fighting scene.

How did they got there? I mean, the staircase which connects the fort to underground caverns is the one and only main one, and it constantly used. How did the troll and 4 dralthas just materialise there?

Yes, four. One of them was already frolicking around on the surface, seeing sunlight for the first time probably.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56551 on: March 14, 2022, 12:21:37 pm »

Draltha are pretty peaceful, so they could've just walked past, and same-ish with the trolls. Sometimes trolls are randomly half-peaceful, and won't attack until attacked, which is a bit unpredictable but will generally happen when somebody with military experience walks by.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56552 on: March 14, 2022, 01:54:19 pm »

Yeah, trolls and other cavern denizens will always manage to find their way into your main staircase and shoot straight up like 50 z levels, often simply moving past dwarves until one of them is triggered. That's one of the major downsides of the simple 4x4 up/down staircase straight to the caverns. While it's brilliantly simple to designate, it allows for unimpeded access along the entire column, and rather quickly at that since each floor is a single tile of movement.

It would kind of be nice if staircase movement took longer, or something.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56553 on: March 14, 2022, 03:39:02 pm »

It was a water blob that got killed by a civilian in one punch. I am so disappointed.

Last time I dealt with a water blob, I ended up minus like 8-9 crossbowmen (I forget exactly, but the odd men out were asleep at the time,) because said blob spewed up a deadly gas cloud right before the bolts connected and reduced it to inert puddles.

They suffered severe bloating, turning them into blood bags that subsequently suffered from mass muscle necrosis due to extreme swelling and many died en route to the hospital, and several died on the operating table even while the surgeons where under the effect of superdwarf from DFHack removing the damaged tissue as quickly as they physically could.

That sounds like a hideously mean fb. Super useful syndrome, but so weak that it would have been liable to accidental death if used in a trap. Then again, if you were actually fighting it (which you were) instead of trying to catch it, then it's probably fortunate that you didn't have to deal with an fb made out of actual materials, since that would probably be a dead military there.

The fact it was made of water was the entire reason I didn't resort to my usual engineered deadfall trap. I figured it was something my marksmen could deal with pretty handily, and this was indeed the case... Apart from that single burst of hazard gas it got off. If I'd known it would manage to do that, I woulda gone with the deadfall and spared a bunch of families seeing dwarf blood soup versions of thier loved ones being poured into coffins with buckets.

I'm not one for trapping big monsters and stuff. The more complicated bits of DF's engineering have never appealed to me, and neither has trapping things I can't breed more of, so FBs to me are problems to be dealt with, not resources or tools to be exploited.

Draltha are pretty peaceful, so they could've just walked past, and same-ish with the trolls. Sometimes trolls are randomly half-peaceful, and won't attack until attacked, which is a bit unpredictable but will generally happen when somebody with military experience walks by.

Draltha also make for good meat and bone animals, if you can maintain a herd of them (speaking from experience, though it's a pain in the ass to keep a substantial number.)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56554 on: March 15, 2022, 12:49:05 pm »

I recall that if I retire a fort that any alcohol just disappears as if the dwarves lose all self control without me there

but what if I put the alcohol on a pedestal before I retire?
I know that you can do that to keep gear from flying across the map when you retire so could this work with saving some of that precious liquid gold?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56555 on: March 18, 2022, 05:39:49 pm »

I was trading with my fellow dwarves. I only have them as trading partners; I thought I'd get elves as well, since I embarked on the main continent of a small map (I refuse to play on a map larger than that until the outcasts stop piling. I learnt my laggy lesson). Apparently I embarked too far, and into a savage saltwater marsh.

Humans, there are only two of them left in the world, both male, each at opposite sides of the world. They are doomed to go extinct. Good riddance. Filthy, savage, useless tallfolk!

Anyhow, as I was discussing useless crap with the outpost liason, who is an elven woman by the way, a weretapir invited itself over to my fort. Merchant guards engaged it with crossbows. The weretapir launched itself over to some poor gem cutter guy who was hauling wood at the moment, whizzing past the guards who kept shooting at it.

It killed its first target quick, and started to fight with the guards who had apparently emptied their quivers and were charging onto it. Some of my dwarves also joined into the carnage, and together they overwhelmed the beast, with the final blow pushing it inside a murky pool, where the corpse rot away.

I immidiately paused the game to see if any my citizens got infected. It turns out two dwarves had contracted the curse. I knew they would transform and spread the weretapir curse, and that things would go out of control eventually.

I assigned them both to a militiary squad, sent them down to a mining tunnel and sealed it shut behind them, along with some cats which entered in while the wall was being built. I then disbanded the squad. They are trapped there forever now.

They are there to this day. Each month, I get two reoccuring notifications. The cats are still there too, weretapirs do not kill them for some reason, and it turns out one of them was pregnant. A healthy population of cats is sure to develop there in time.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56556 on: March 19, 2022, 01:28:07 am »

Sounds like a catsplosion in the making, and to make it worse you can't safely deal with it without releasing the weretapirs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56557 on: March 19, 2022, 06:57:18 am »

Instead of releasing the cats, keep them there and butcher the other cats in your fort, so the tunnel cats can breed to the max.

The were-tapir stands in a frozen rage, with a horde of cats moving on the floor around it and a few cats climbing on top of it. One of the cats climbing on the tapir slips, and sinks its claws in. A red eye blinks and something happens in a blur....
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56558 on: March 19, 2022, 01:46:27 pm »

Instead of releasing the cats, keep them there and butcher the other cats in your fort, so the tunnel cats can breed to the max.

The were-tapir stands in a frozen rage, with a horde of cats moving on the floor around it and a few cats climbing on top of it. One of the cats climbing on the tapir slips, and sinks its claws in. A red eye blinks and something happens in a blur....

It's too late for that. I handled the situation my way. You know, the boring and humany way.

I had initially gave them a large place to move; in my haste, I had sealed an entire section of the mines away with wood walls, not just one tunnel. If I wanted my plan to work, I had to get them into a smaller space.

So I first got them into another squad (I had disbanded the previous one), then directed them to the very edge of the mines. I removed the previous walls and then re-sealed them further in there, in a four tile space. The cats got out in the meantime.

I then connected the small tunnel they were in with the main water reservoir.

I just drowned them.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56559 on: March 19, 2022, 02:07:02 pm »

An ettin attacked. I didn't have a militiary, and still don't. Instead the dozen or so dwarves that were gathering wood killed it with their axes or something.

It dropped 7 artifact weapons, and one artifact scepter. Now I wonder exactly what infamous monster I made into dusty history?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Kuria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56560 on: March 20, 2022, 04:19:54 pm »

I just caught a breeding pair of unicorns! See ya, turkeys. You've been replaced. Now if I can only get the humans to deliver a couple more of those tame grizzly bears this one civ has....

Also in this world (6 forts in? maybe 7): razed all necro towers and raiding like mad for a massive creche/library fort. Do empty towers still cause evil biome to spread? I'm doing my best to wipe out werecreatures and necromancers, but according to legends there's only one living vampire and I want to be friends wif hims.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56561 on: March 21, 2022, 06:44:21 pm »

I just caught a breeding pair of unicorns! See ya, turkeys. You've been replaced. Now if I can only get the humans to deliver a couple more of those tame grizzly bears this one civ has....

Also in this world (6 forts in? maybe 7): razed all necro towers and raiding like mad for a massive creche/library fort. Do empty towers still cause evil biome to spread? I'm doing my best to wipe out werecreatures and necromancers, but according to legends there's only one living vampire and I want to be friends wif hims.
I'm not sure if evil biomes still spread post-worldgen, but empty towers will slowly lose their evil influence if anything. Did you know your own dwarves can be cursed to be night creatures if they tantrum and topple a statue in a temple?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56562 on: March 22, 2022, 11:54:00 am »

A yet another weretapir attacked. I wasn't lucky this time. I still had no militia and no current caravan guards on my depot.

8 dwarves died from the beast, and 10 got injured. I had stuffed all of the injured into a single room too, assuming all of them were infected, and it turns out 3 of the quarantined dwarves were not infected and were brutally slaughtered when the next month arrived.

To add insult to the injury, the attacking werebeast, which was a goblin, ran off away safely.

I am currently leading the cursed dwarves into the small tunnel where I drowned the previous two. I am going to do the same to them.

A while before that, a forgotten beast arrived. A giant stork with deadly spittle, or something. It had just started to fly through the stairs, and three dogs and a feral draltha1 started to fight with it. It killed a dog until the dwarves took notice, piled on it and overwhelmed it.

I had it butchered and now have a forgotten beast leather trousers, which I keep as a tropy.

1.Remember my post about a troll spontaneously materialising on my fortress entrance? The four dralthas that came with the troll just decided to hang around, eating the cave moss that sparsely cover some places and eventually formed a local population of feral street dralthas. There are 20 of them now.

The dogs occasionally pick on them, and they pick some back. They are actually pretty useful. They keep the dog population in check. Butchering too OP: needs Nerfing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:59:50 am by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56563 on: March 23, 2022, 02:06:08 am »

1.Remember my post about a troll spontaneously materialising on my fortress entrance? The four dralthas that came with the troll just decided to hang around, eating the cave moss that sparsely cover some places and eventually formed a local population of feral street dralthas. There are 20 of them now.

The dogs occasionally pick on them, and they pick some back. They are actually pretty useful. They keep the dog population in check. Butchering too OP: needs Nerfing.

I enjoyed this imagery. not sure what kind of chaos that fortress represents where such a thing might come to pass, but hey, feral dralthas!

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56564 on: March 23, 2022, 08:18:38 pm »

In the interest of dealing with approximately 7,000 body parts and 900 worn-out clothes, I've constructed an atom smasher in my dump.
related, the child of one of my axe lords has decided to spend two months playing make believe in the dump, under the atom smasher. Traffic restrictions and burrowing have had no effect, should I just classify this child as the trash it is and activate the smasher, in spite of the prospect of an axe lord tantrum?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.
Pages: 1 ... 3769 3770 [3771] 3772 3773 ... 3836