Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859219 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56565 on: March 24, 2022, 07:42:45 am »

In the interest of dealing with approximately 7,000 body parts and 900 worn-out clothes, I've constructed an atom smasher in my dump.
related, the child of one of my axe lords has decided to spend two months playing make believe in the dump, under the atom smasher. Traffic restrictions and burrowing have had no effect, should I just classify this child as the trash it is and activate the smasher, in spite of the prospect of an axe lord tantrum?

Why risk the potentially deadly tantrum?

Atom smash the mother too.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56566 on: March 24, 2022, 06:16:08 pm »

Why risk the potentially deadly tantrum?

Atom smash the mother too.
I might, if not for the fact that her entire legendary squad might tantrum. Maybe I should let them attend to personal needs between razing goblin sites so they're under less stress, idk.

nah.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56567 on: March 26, 2022, 01:02:51 am »

The first elf caravan of my new fort brought two instruments made of divine fabric, one worth 3500☼, the other worth closer to 25,000☼. I looked at my stuff and said, I can do this. Got my glassmaker pumping out discs, set my barely-competent cook to making rutherer roasts. And I pulled it off! Made about 40,000☼ worth of junk, and had enough left over to buy a yak and some nuts so we wouldn't starve, plus some pieces of ... ugh ... wooden armor because I have no metals. But I got my snazzy new dirty fabric tootin' horns, yeah!

Keas immediately stole them both.

On 22nd Hematite, 9, I pulled the lever and dropped about 20 troglodytes who were surplus to requirements into a bathtub full of magma.

It is now 27th Hematite, 9.

The troglodyte baby is caught in a pool of magma! has so far appeared six thousand and twenty times.

The troglodyte baby is on !!fire!! but otherwise appears completely unharmed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 07:41:32 am by doublestrafe »

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56568 on: March 27, 2022, 02:37:13 pm »

I'm trying to figure out a system of irrigation from above that should hopefully be FUN-free. Would this work:
z=2, pipe section. White is ordinary wall, blue is where the water flows, .. empty
..███..
..██..
..███..
z=1 (crops level). X = floodgates
~~~~~
~X█X~
~██~
~X█X~
~~~~~

z=0 (level filled with stone) + = bridge that retracts

█████
█+++█
█+++█
█+++█
█████

Below this is more levels like z=2, followed by another z=1 and z=0. Now, for the one million uristbucks question: am I correct that, if the bridge is present while the floodgates are open, water flows at z=1 but with no pressure, and can freely flow out if the water supply is cut, the floodgates are open, and the bridge is absent?

P.S. Do plants grow over constructed walls (provided their top layer is muddy)?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:43:38 pm by towerator »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56569 on: April 02, 2022, 02:52:51 pm »

Update on feral dralthas:

They now number 37 in total and are in three separate clans. Their numbers seem to have reached the fortresses carrying capacity. Most of the older individuals bear many gnarly scars from times when dogs were much more common along the fortress' halls. These individuals also often have actual names. These clans are as follows.

The Boulder Clan dwells at the water drainage zone. This grassy area is relatively larger than the others found along the fortress. They number in about 18 dralthas. They are the most numerous, deepest dwelling and least disturbed population; dogs or dwarves almost never go there.

The Boneyarders live at the vast bone stockpile of the fifth level of the fortress, where water still drips and allows moss to grow. They never leave there; when they come close to the door, they get spooked by the few crippled dogs still around and run right back in. Their draltha count is 13.

The Castaways are the smallest and closest to the surface, living around the northernmost corner of the said fortress layer, where there are still some amount of dogs going around. This clan only has 6 dralthas and subsist off the small clusters of mud that line the place, as aquifers drip and renew the mud.

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56570 on: April 07, 2022, 04:02:01 am »

Sil Kodor. The Windy Continent. Year 169. Eighty military dwarves have attacked the dark fortress of PresentDoomed, and its resident demon Slushu Jackalhate the Dungeon of Funerals. Nineteen of them have fallen in the attack, but a legendary sword-dwarfette, Sodel RoomCarnal the Beard of Discovering, has slain the monster! (She lost her entire right leg in the process, but hey).

I am so proud of my little lunatics!

The demon was immediately succeeded by a traitor dwarfette (Ngokang MenageGrand) who was just as immediately killed by a speardwarf. The third master of The Disgusting Dungeons is Damsto Yellcruel the Ripe, widower, goblin recruit, and eight-time murderer. He can now preside over the gradual dwindling of goblin-kind, as the dwarves of HopeWork return time and time again to siege the last citadel of their loathsome kind.

The Age of the Goblin will eventually give way to the Age of the Dwarf, even if it will take another 50 years.

... Oh yeah. Sodel has been removed from the military, made exempt from all hauling jobs, given the title "Demon Slayer", and was appointed Champion of HopeWork. Long may she party in the engraved halls of the Laborious Belly!
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56571 on: April 07, 2022, 05:30:37 am »

It's been a while since last update...

A webspitting marsh titan made of stone has arrived!
All dwarves inside castle, stationed near doors and in archery tower.
A spiked copper ball is blocking open a castle door, already tasked to be moved.

The titan moves so quickly that all bolts miss until it stops to break down a door, then bolts begin chipping away at it. Two over-enthusiastic dorfs (mace lord Athel & hammer lord Atis run out the blocked door

and get webbed & knocked down by the titan. This is the moment the other door is unlocked and the dorfs are let loose to rescue them.

The titan pummels the unconscious Atis into a bloody mess of broken bones.

Dorfs swarm, are webbed, and finally bring down the monstrous humanoid.

The enthusiastic dorfs:

Atis' end

Current population of Gravearmor:  381
Fort year:  28
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56572 on: April 08, 2022, 05:20:48 am »

It took some time (my infinite wisdom deciding smooth walls were important), but the dorfs finally built a mineshaft down to the magma sea, and have set up magma forges near the surface. The forge area has now been remodeled to get our metal industry scaled up. The dorfs are finally melting some goblinite and caravanite.

Now the dorfs are hollowing out layers of granite so the fort doesn't have dirt walls and floor for the surface gauntlet. The Queen, Count, and Mayor of the fort have been on the warpath demanding ballista arrows, gaunlets, and catapult parts, and I'll be damned if I don't find a use for at least the ballista arrows.

The fort is a nanofort with a light aquifer, which makes this even more challenging.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:22:40 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56573 on: April 08, 2022, 08:59:00 am »

Found adamantine at the second cave layer, then a Forgotten beast attacked. A towering lizard with deadly blood. My militia managed just fine, not even one casualty was sustained. Then one dorf hauled the corpse up and butchered it. Now I have forgotten beast meat roasts. Nice.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56574 on: April 13, 2022, 05:01:02 pm »

A Tundra Titan attacked, something something made of coral. So thought I could get some of that exotic1 coral from it to make, well, maybe a fancy amulet.

When it was dispatched, it dropped chunks of coral, which I learned has no use. So I couldn't get coral. Why, Toady. Why!

1)According to the wiki, there is very little way of getting coral in Fortress Mode, and coral material itself is very sparsely implemented despite existing in the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:03:03 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56575 on: April 13, 2022, 06:32:44 pm »

Started a new fort with Modest Mod installed.  Everyone got killed by hippos before I could get the entrance dug.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56576 on: April 19, 2022, 01:32:59 pm »

Six migrants arrive, five barely choose their paths along the edge of a cloud of profane fog. The last migrant (a hunter) turns back to fight their baby lama, which is now a fog thrall. The hunter is engulfed in the fog and is also thralled.

They fought a long time, the llama being pretty tough, until about 30 dwarves came out of the fort and just milled around watching from about 20 tiles distance... that was weird.

Finally I ordered them to kill the thralls. Only two dwarves had the courage and proceeded to carry out the attack, emerging victorious. Everyone else then lost interest and wandered away.

Population is now 391.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56577 on: April 20, 2022, 12:43:47 am »

A Mystery:

A Dwarf has gone missing from a sealed Fortress, with nothing in the Combat Logs.

Checking the Legends revealed she had bled to Death.

The only Hazard inside the Fort was Magma, but We don't think she set herself on Fire digging out the passage and We believe that would show a different Cause of Death.

Checking with Dwarf Therapist showed a complete lack of Vampires in the Fort.

And her Pick is gone too.  Maybe she did set herself on Fire.  We think We brought two Picks...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56578 on: April 21, 2022, 12:48:06 pm »

Currently trying to drain/obsidianize the magma sea to get to the candy. Things've been progressing slowly since of course we have to smooth every passage of the waterworks and haul away all that stone. We just now had an... accident with magma. Our goblin mayor, who was a miner, managed to breach the magma from a safe spot as planned, but the idiot then decided to take a short cut back straight through the magma's flow path.

We now have a new mayor: Oda, the elf poet.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56579 on: April 21, 2022, 02:39:14 pm »

Currently trying to drain/obsidianize the magma sea to get to the candy. Things've been progressing slowly since of course we have to smooth every passage of the waterworks and haul away all that stone. We just now had an... accident with magma. Our goblin mayor, who was a miner, managed to breach the magma from a safe spot as planned, but the idiot then decided to take a short cut back straight through the magma's flow path.

We now have a new mayor: Oda, the elf poet.

Your History must be rather interesting.  Did the Fort attract those Immigrants, or was it Something in the History of the Civ?
Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 3836