Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3774 3775 [3776] 3777 3778 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860104 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56625 on: May 18, 2022, 12:02:38 am »

It's one of those that you can cuddle only once :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56626 on: May 18, 2022, 05:20:48 am »

Year 29 in Gravearmor and we hit 404 citizens, the latest 5 arriving naked and wet.
FPS is typically 8-12 and it's a little too peaceful.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56627 on: May 18, 2022, 08:04:22 am »

After the FPS / BUG death of my last fortress, I have embarked once again - this time on a 1 x 1 map with a maximum population of 40 dorks, with a strict pop cap of 50 total inhabitants.
 The fortress in on the coastline, the furthest away (warm climate) I could get from my dorken civilization.
Invasions are not disabled, they are just scaled back so that I'm far more likely to get smaller raiding parties.

My fort will be very reliant on outside trade to survive, as there are not enough dorks to do all fort-critical jobs AND maintain a well trained military squad.
 Also, there is no iron in the spot I chose to embark, surface trees are few in number, and there are no surface sources of water.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56628 on: May 18, 2022, 03:04:33 pm »

The dead walk. Hold star was forced to fend off a necromancer attack, which thankfully only consisted of primarily undead archers and unarmed, naked corpses. While it was a crushing victory, with all the undead destroyed apart from thier necromancer masters, it wasn't without injury or loss. Holdstar had been in the process of readying for an expedition to steal livestock from a nearby satyr settlement when the attack came, and it left one member of The Empires of Guarding dead and three wounded.

- Pebu Paddlering: Killed in Action by neck injury and pummeling after passing out from over-exertion. Shame she was killed, as her axe claimed 4 of the undead intruders.
- Wuspin Rivernatures: Multiple minor cuts and gashes on his left side, neck, and right lower leg.
- Isun Yawnchanced: Cuts on her right arm and neck from scratches and a bite (that thankfully didn't turn into a latch-and-shake,) multiple broken toes and a broken ankle.
- Acik Roundeddots: Shield hand fucked up, but nothing permanent.

One outlier in the horde of 28 undead was a dwarf zombie who bore no name. He wore a near-complete suit of titanium armor, which thanks to this happenstance paints a picture of some forgotten hero from a dwarf kingdom somewhere. Titanium is added by SVE and isn't exactly a commonly occurring material, which suggests this corpse was once of importance (only good fortune of a crappy helmet let the militia take him down via decapitation.)

As usual, the militia insisted on the time-honored Spearbreakers tradition of Martial Dentistry, smashing at least some teeth out of every zombie and making the overall mess to clean up far greater than desired.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56629 on: May 19, 2022, 01:59:19 pm »

Clappedfortress has fallen.

Too deep, too greedily.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56630 on: May 19, 2022, 02:02:00 pm »

A miner got her skull caved in while digging a ramp at the bottom of the pit in the center of my fort. It appears she tried to climb up the side of the pit instead of walking out the already-dug rampway and fell, breaking several bones including the fatal skull fracture. First dwarf death, if you don't count the three people who caught a werewolf infection and were exiled, despite only one of them actually getting bitten.

I also totally missed trading with the dwarven caravan as I was distracted working on the pit and ramps, sealing it off from the caverns where it broke through, and searching for the magma sea. Which is looking to be a long, long way down at this point, with the first cavern 37 stories underground itself. I'll have to either establish a burrow for the metalsmitjs at the bottom or pump magma up
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56631 on: May 19, 2022, 03:54:56 pm »

Roarletters just fell to a loyalty cascade.  It was my most successful fort so far.  It lasted almost 6 years, had a duke, and even a breeding population of tame elephants.  The downfall came as I was mining out the feed aqueduct for the reservoir.  Apparently a gem cutter (who was haggard and filled with constant rage after seeing another dwarf killed by a giant, and who had already killed three dwarves without repercussions -not even any reports in the justice screen despite all of the killings taking place in crowded areas-) killed a fisherdwarf and that set everything off.

In the future, I think I shall stay away from ducks.  They’re just not worth it.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56632 on: May 19, 2022, 06:02:27 pm »

I have captured a family of ogres. They live in complete darkness behind olivine walls in a room covered in dwarf blood. An ogress just gave birth to a baby.

Maybe I should make their room nicer and give them a pet donkey?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56633 on: May 20, 2022, 07:17:05 am »

My 1 x 1 embark is going well so far. Limited wood, and no water is forcing me to plan on breaching the upper cavern layers sooner that I'd like since the fortress has no standing military yet.
 Temp storage dumps have been established, all surface builds are complete, bedroom layer has recently been fully engraved ( I just need wooden chests to complete the rooms ), the primary industry floor is dug out, and my stocks of booze + food are holding strong.

There is no iron on the map, which is going to be an issue until I can collect some decent armor from traders + mine adamantine ( which is on the map somewhere ).

Next goal is to prepare my military squad, breach the cavern layers, and see how feasible it will be to rush down to the magma sea so that I can get my trade goods glass industry going. Also need to build my crypts for obvious reasons.

Edit: lost 11 dorks to a swarm of crundles ... the fort was down to 6 for a while until more "volunteers" showed up. Caves are sealed off until further notice .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:58:53 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56634 on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:17 pm »

I embarked on what looked like solid neutral territory on an island.  However, undead albatrosses keep showing up.  Fortunately, these are apparently incredibly weak as undead go, as none of them have even managed to harm a dwarf more than a bruise, but it makes me worry something else will show up from beyond the mortal veil.

Nothing else seems to be getting raised in the 3x3 embark, so I assume they're wandering in from an adjacent square.  I wonder why just albatrosses.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56635 on: May 20, 2022, 07:03:59 pm »

Pebu finally got buried, after several months of construction and whatnot. Library's ground floor is almost complete, as is the warehouse, both made from Jet. Temple's finished apart from like, three windows. A few more houses are done, the barracks nears completion, and a wind-powered mill is underway along with some small farm plots. An additional set of wells, a hospital and more housing are in order now, but damn is it slow going to build above ground.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56636 on: May 20, 2022, 07:57:39 pm »

I embarked on what looked like solid neutral territory on an island.  However, undead albatrosses keep showing up.  Fortunately, these are apparently incredibly weak as undead go, as none of them have even managed to harm a dwarf more than a bruise, but it makes me worry something else will show up from beyond the mortal veil.

Nothing else seems to be getting raised in the 3x3 embark, so I assume they're wandering in from an adjacent square.  I wonder why just albatrosses.

Is there an evil biome near? An evil ocean maybe. Just check it out in the legends. Copy and paste.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56637 on: May 20, 2022, 09:08:21 pm »

Welp, second death, this time Rimtil, one of the miners (of the whole two I had.) While never in super-high demand in a human town, losing one that had become as skilled as him is a serious one.

During construction of the hospital, the local piranhas would occasionally leap out and try to attack people, and this prompted Rimtil to fall into the river, where he drowned. I, frusterated at these fish and thier constant disruptions, finally fingered them from the heavens (using DFhack's exterminate command) to be rid of them. They were crossing a single-lane log-bridge that had to be thrown together to save Acik, who fell in during an accident (a floor segment had somehow been built without support,) and that meant a real bridge needed to be built after for caravans, lest they decide to come from the wagon-inaccessible side now that there was a valid crossing, and deprive me of needed ores (so far all I've found is small clumps of platinum.)

Remtil, being a legendary worker, gets an ironwood burial (something I will otherwise reserve for soldiers.) Speaking of them, I've also started seasonal training for the militia. While not everyone has even basic armor, everyone is armed with something decent now, rather than caravan cast-offs. I'll need to rectify that shortly, since there's a decent supply of metal sitting around from melted down zomb-ite.

EDIT: Had a greater giant (a titan from old DF, basically) show up with a battlestaff claimed from a satyre, someone's nethershard leggings, and a sandal. I expected it to seriously injure someone with the pants, only for Kethi, one of the macemen, to glass jaw the big fucker with a punch to the face, followed by Captain Keth smashing its skull like a rotten melon with his incindium great hammer.

For his display of sheer strength Kethi is going to be issued a suit of titanium chain armor, while the three artifact items are going into the temple as trophies (where they'll be kept under mastiff guard.) That said, I should find someone to use the battlestaff, even if it's wood.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56638 on: May 21, 2022, 01:03:00 pm »

Several convicts in my drow fortress got into a fight, with 5 fatalities.

Guess maybe having an open-plan prison, where chained prisoners can move around to talk to each other, wasn't too great an idea after all.

And maybe confiscating the mining picks, forestry axes, etc. of convicts would be a good idea...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56639 on: May 21, 2022, 01:18:46 pm »

Been years since I played last, this feels good to start again! Started as some humans, we're working on the process of firing tons of bricks to make our houses out of and getting enough bronze ready to start a militia. Hoping to breed and buy enough horses to send out a raiding party soon.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3774 3775 [3776] 3777 3778 ... 3836