Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3777 3778 [3779] 3780 3781 ... 3785

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4851074 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56670 on: May 21, 2022, 09:29:22 pm »

Good call on your part. A pod of undead orcas can be very nasty. They don't actually need the water at all, so they just hop out of the sea and skip right where your dwarves are.
The island I'm on is so small I think my 3x3 embark may be one of only a few that has no beach tiles.  So I might find out whether undead orcas ever jump out of the water and travel a square or two.  I have a feeling of foreboding that I may not be far enough away from the creatures of "the Ignoble Sea."

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56671 on: May 21, 2022, 10:04:15 pm »

There is a bug where the biome of the tile to the northwest can exist above your fort... meaning tiles above ground level may be part of that evil ocean biome, which probably is why you have seen flying undead (PatrikLundell's showbiomes script would allow you to check, and he references the bug in that post). Beware of other evil biome effects that may happen if you build above the surface.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56672 on: May 21, 2022, 10:31:17 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless.
Absolutely would be exaggerating, but there's exactly one use I can think of for an adamantine warhammer, and that is to give it to a hammerer, so when he "punishes" a dwarf in the justice system, it's as harmful as a massage.
A bit, but it takes a really strong unit to make super light stuff like that really and consistently deadly.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to make multiple trips before my guys actually find the shit that's supposedly stashed there. The cave in particular upon looking into legends holds (allegedly) a steel targe artifact and a legendary larch spear. The spear's just a prestige item, but that targe would make a great badge of office for a city watch commander.

A savescum was also needed, since apparently whatever the necromancers have at that stupid tower is able to overpower a full crew of weapon lords. Would be nice to know what happens with a togglable setting even if nobody returns so you at least get an idea of what happened instead of needing to manually check and see if there's any prisoners being held at the target location when they fail to return on time.

Just as well on having to roll back. I need to up my pop cap a smidge to fill a second squad to train in the off season.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56673 on: May 22, 2022, 08:16:04 am »

My fulltime military ( 1/4 of my total population of 40 ) now have adamantine warhammers and shields :)
I hate to break it to you, but we call adamantine warhammers "wiffle bats" because they're absolutely useless. Warhammers are better when made out of a heavier material. Adamantine is so light it floats in water. You would have been better off making your warhammers out of silver or steel. Adamantine is for edged weapons, where its incredible hardness and sharper-than-monomolecular edge can be effective.
 In combat, adamantine warhammers do about the same damage as iron ... yes I modded the inorganic_metals file long ago.

Not much going on in my fort ... the military has been training hard killing "pests", and trade has been OK but not always favorable for my fort's needs.
 Haven't lost any dorks to a Crundle swarm as of late, and everyone is eating very well thanks to my chef's extensive training.

Still haven't figured out how to build a stairway down into the underworld since there is no way down that I can see. Every once in a while a demon ventures into my trap halls and ends up getting killed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:58:06 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56674 on: May 22, 2022, 11:48:13 am »

There is a bug where the biome of the tile to the northwest can exist above your fort... meaning tiles above ground level may be part of that evil ocean biome, which probably is why you have seen flying undead (PatrikLundell's showbiomes script would allow you to check, and he references the bug in that post). Beware of other evil biome effects that may happen if you build above the surface.
Excellent suggestion.  Here's the output:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# cat showbiomes.lua
cat is not recognized. Did you mean catsplosion?
[DFHack]# showbiomes
biomes found: 4
Biome reference: x: 59, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 62. Evilness: 94, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 57, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 63. Evilness: 79, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 58, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 55. Evilness: 71, found in the air only
Biome reference: x: 58, y: 8, biome: FOREST_TEMPERATE_CONIFER, Savagery: 59. Evilness: 60, found at ground level
Potential air biomes found:5
Biome reference x: 57, y: 8, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 61. Evilness: 79
Biome reference x: 57, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 63. Evilness: 75
Biome reference x: 58, y: 9, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 57. Evilness: 81
Biome reference x: 59, y: 7, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 58. Evilness: 93
Biome reference x: 59, y: 8, biome: OCEAN_TEMPERATE, Savagery: 56. Evilness: 69
This goes to show you should maybe contemplate on embark more than just your own little 3x3 embark.  On the ground, this is a dwarf utopia, with a volcano, plentiful metals, guaranteed adamantine, immense amounts of wood to the point that all actually useful trees can be retained while relentlessly turning the rest into beds and training arrows.  And one of the benefits of being on an isolated island is no cannibal hippies can get to us either.

The minus is only my own civilization sends caravans.  I wonder how they get here.  My civilization is a possibly dying one, with less than a hundred dwarves, and on top of that, I deliberately chose to be an island outpost of this smallest civ, which on top of that is on nearly the other side of this medium size world.  I'm not sure why my civilization is so weak, because there are multiple other dwarven civs that are thriving.

I generated this world with the advanced params (that I barely understand) specifically with jacked up volcanoes and metals everywhere, because I hate having to scrounge around endlessly for stuff and also a volcano means being able to build weapons and FTW machines with the potential of flooding your own fort in magma if you have an oopsie moment.  When I do that, I also usually crank up number of megabeasts and semi-megabeasts, savagery in general, and stop worldgen at 30 percent dead critters, so it is just barely in the Age of Myth (I like getting a kill that changes it to the Age of Legends).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56675 on: May 22, 2022, 01:34:28 pm »

Age of myth is the best period to play in. You get to fight and capture all kinds of cool stuff.

Population changes made, though for now I think I'll focus on building again. Got a few bee hives I've done nothing with, so I'm gonna see if I can get something produced there. Once upon a time a weirdly popular meal in one fort were biscuits made of royal jelly and olive pomace with mead, so that would probably be a neat thing. For whatever reason people really like mead in DF from my experience, with it always flying out of the casks fast as it could be made, as it were.

Assuming the fucking necromancers will leave us alone for more than a couple seasons that is.

EDIT: Necromancer band fucked off. Got a werecat later the mastiffs largely brought down by themselves (with one earning a name to boot) and even later, another Greater Giant arrived. It calls itself Subile Climatecontests the Greater and this one packing a lunite warhammer known as Trustplays, that it's used to kill seventy-one people, most of them elves and satyrs with the odd human mixed in and unlike most artifacts in this neck of the world, it's a true artifact presumably given to some noble or another as a gift or stolen from its original owner.

It also bears a mithril spear called Notchdrenched, The Crystalline Raptor. Surprisingly this one used to be owned by a satyr, suggesting perhaps he was a member of a human civilization that mined mithril. He only ever got one killed before being killed by the visitor with Trustplays.

The brute fell to the militia's superior numbers, a particularly hard blow to the face knocking it out, and the arms are  going on display in the temple, while the hammer will forge a new legacy in the hands of Acik, who dealt the deathblow to the Subile with a hammer of his own. He's earned a personal home (though when he's away on missions I'll need to make sure nobody tries to move in,) so he can keep his vulcanshard (basically crystalized fire) warhammer on display. Scratch that. In honor of the personal glory earned in striking down such a vicious foe who slew so many, he has bestowed the name Enasmukca Mubelihost on said hammer, translating to "Slimknots, The Mindful Rightousness."

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56676 on: May 23, 2022, 09:37:35 pm »

I got a 1050-year-old world to go to the Age of Death, where a handful of necromancers have *allegedly* wiped out all civilized creatures, but I was able to play fortress mode. The necromancers have taken to spending eternity writing books with ominously fitting titles like "The World Without the Dwarves," "Did Civilization Falter," and "The Humans After the End." Were they actually musing on the fact that the world was in the age of death? I found a suitable spot on an island where I was out of range of the towers. Watching it in worldgen, there were moments where the cursed earth spread from the towers, but all of it receded a few hundred years before worldgen stopped.

Spoiler: The Fort and the World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Book Titles (click to show/hide)

I'd like to believe that at the bottom there, that tower happened to hold both "The Dwarf" and its sequel, "The Dwarf: Further Musings."
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56677 on: May 23, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »

I ain't fraid of no undead albatrosses.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56678 on: May 24, 2022, 06:32:46 am »

My last fortress bugged out badly, so it was retired.

My new 1x1 fort is located somewhere I've never embarked before - the frozen wastelands of the south. I embarked on the frozen coastline as far south as I think is possible in my 500 year map.
As before, I have a strict population limit of 40 and "invaders" have been turned down to raiding parties ( yes I can still get Forgotten Beasts ). This time, I have a smaller fulltime military of 5 dorks, relying mostly on passive defenses for pest control & raiding parties.

The area I set up has no surface trees, no adamantine, no fuel sources, and extremely limited iron ore available. It does have some tin, and a LOT of copper. Should be enough for full bronze armor + silver warhammers for my military.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56679 on: May 24, 2022, 01:03:23 pm »

The area I set up has no surface trees, no adamantine, no fuel sources, and extremely limited iron ore available. It does have some tin, and a LOT of copper. Should be enough for full bronze armor + silver warhammers for my military.
I almost always use the stupid embark trick of embarking with plenty of cassiterite and tetrahedrite and the occasional oddball like bismuthinite because both bronze and bismuth bronze make great starting metals to get a weakish military at least able to repel common early game stuff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56680 on: May 24, 2022, 03:24:47 pm »

A siege and a satyr attack have come. While the former, made up of human troops - a motley mix of handgunners and mixed hand weapons with supporting mastiffs - was at least mildly threatening, the satyrs, led by one Epeve Bravesnarls has come at the head of a force of ant riders with some additional supporting ants, while he himself is atop his gallant steed Sidaya.

The battle was won, but not without paying the blood price. Gogol Armorknights, The Humorous Anger the Hammerlord was slain in the battle, having been the closest responder during the off season. Had he not been herded away from help, he might have survived unscathed. Instead he was set upon and killed by the satyr's wretched animals. He killed three of thier giant ants and injured multiple satyr warriors before succumbing though.

However, the heavy hitters are still engaged and the Kingdom of Authors sent a mounted force up from the south, seemingly to support the Satyrs who attacked from the north. The partially-equipped Roasted Scuffles will have to hope they and some mastiffs can hold the bridge.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56681 on: May 25, 2022, 08:09:04 am »

I've breached both cavern layers, and since I only have a fulltime military squad of 5 dorks, relying on traps to deal with pests is vital.

Luckily the caverns in my 1x1 map do not have very many ground entrances. I walled off all points ground based monsters can spawn, except for 1 block, which is the start of a simple trap hallway. Each trap has 10 copper picks, an excellent weapon to dispatch pests.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:08:51 am by RLS0812 »

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #56682 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »

An ettin arrived at my island fort bearing 5 artifact weapons, an artifact bracelet, an artifact toy axe, and an artifact cup. It's kinda neat how since i can't send missions out to anywhere, the few invaders i do get can just bring the artifacts here when they raid.  :D   The two weapons he did the majority of his killing with had 15+ kills each.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56683 on: May 27, 2022, 12:07:28 pm »

About 20 years in now... Managed to slow the goblins down a bit after killing 4000 of them during four sieges. The last siege only had about 450 of them. Was up to 130 dwarfs once but battle and stress losses has brought the population down to 101. No migrants have arrived in the last 5 years and there appear to be no other dwarven sites remaining. One of the recent undead waves included two dozen undead dwarfs, so the mountain home could be lost. The dwarfs are being directed to the tavern in hopes of more children, as only 8 have been born so far and there are 420 large bedrooms to fill. Oh, and for music, there are masterwork instruments collecting dust in the tavern, as most of the dwarfs simulate an instrument called an "Izem" that no dwarfs or humans know how to craft.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56684 on: May 27, 2022, 05:05:51 pm »

That conflict was resolved 3 men wounded, 1 dead on Holdstar's side. Feels weird fighting the same race as what I'm playing as.'

I've also head to establish a city watch, as there's been repeated attempts at theft in town. I've fucked up potential for finding ringleaders though because two thieves had to be killed to prevent their planned thefts.

I don't care who originally owned these spears and such, I looted them from megabeasts fair and square.
Pages: 1 ... 3777 3778 [3779] 3780 3781 ... 3785