Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3777 3778 [3779] 3780 3781 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854288 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56670 on: June 02, 2022, 08:01:07 pm »

A year after embark, two of my dwarves both inherited baronies, so I'm going to be scrambling to make some nice throne rooms for a bit. Meanwhile, it turns out that my civilization, the Still Clasps, is at war with... the Still Clasps, my civilization.

According to Legends, the two are unrelated.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56671 on: June 03, 2022, 05:02:40 am »

Started a new fortress with immigration disabled. Great success: three marriages among the starting 7. They're pooping out dwarven babies like mad now. This is turning into a dwarfsplosion. Going to be fun taking care of 30+ children with 7 grownups to do the work.  :P

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56672 on: June 03, 2022, 11:41:45 am »

The dwarves of Divehandle were all slaughtered by hippos before they could finish digging their entrance tunnel.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56673 on: June 03, 2022, 07:41:35 pm »

During the construction of the great throne, we were attacked by an ettin. We locked down and ignored it at first, but a wave of migrants came along and I decided to take the risk of letting 20 dorfs gang up on it even with only meager weapons. It went well, with only a couple injuries.

The civ keeps awarding civ level positions to my intelligent pets population. I have a master chef ranger captain and a rat familiar diplomat. It's not frustrating, yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. I also took in a tribe of olm people from the caverns with dfhack commands. They're mostly doing nothing and getting badly distracted by unmet needs. One of them got eaten by a vampire bat from the caverns though, and so did a dorf.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56674 on: June 04, 2022, 06:58:05 am »

I also took in a tribe of olm people from the caverns with dfhack commands. They're mostly doing nothing and getting badly distracted by unmet needs.

I am having the same problems as well. They never work. Ever.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56675 on: June 04, 2022, 09:34:42 am »

I have finally eliminated all 120+ goblins that where occupying the 2x2 map, and I managed to manufacture enough iron and flux to make full steel armor for all 30 of my dorken residence to use.
 The bountiful loot ( mostly goblin sized clothing ) has made wonderful trade goods, ensuring I've been able to get everything my fortress has needed.

While digging exploratory tunnels, probing for magma pockets + adamantine column locations, I unexpectedly ran into a very deep adamantine tube going down into the underworld - triggering the demon invasion event. I was not prepared for that at all.
 Several miners died as I equipped my first squad, lead by the expedition leader, with the best weapons available including the couple adamantine battle axes that where already produced.
 They bravely marched into the narrow lower hallways and held back the demon swarm just long enough for copper walls to be constructed behind them ( fastest material I had to build walls with ).

At that time I had reached the population limit of 30 dorks, 2 of them children. I also had 3 goblin monster hunters.
All 3 goblins died, along with 19 dorks.

After building a gabbro wall behind the copper, flood tunnels where dug from magma pools to the lower hallways and hooked up to a master lever. 2 more dorks died in that construction effort, but no demons escaped into my fortress complex.
 The order was given - magma flooded the lower tunnels from several directions, gradually pushing the demons out and back down into the underdark. After over an in-game year, water was brought down from the lower caverns to the top of the adamantine tube and held in a large protected cistern.
 The magma flow was shut off, allowing it to drain to the point it was pretty low down in the adamantine tube, at which time the water reservoir at the top was rapidly dumped down, creating an obsidian plug near the bottom.

The mess I created is a pain to deal with, but at least my fortress is still alive and the surviving dorks have not all revolted yet. On a side note, a demon was killed ( somehow ) and ended up getting butchered + cooked ... the dorks have been eating very well from all the demonic meat.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 11:05:49 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56676 on: June 04, 2022, 01:27:59 pm »

What a fate for a demon. To have your intestines masterfully minced with horse cheese and turnips.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56677 on: June 04, 2022, 02:27:40 pm »

The dwarves of Boatsfastened are hard at work digging their entrance tunnel, and a honey badger has already stolen 5 plump helmets!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56678 on: June 04, 2022, 04:47:00 pm »

I am having the same problems as well. They never work. Ever.

If you can get them to marry and have children, the kids would instantly be proper fort members and can do labors. Just gotta wait 12 years...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56679 on: June 04, 2022, 07:46:45 pm »

Boatsfastened was having a problem (expedition leader was hauling a boulder to who knows where) and I decided to see if reloading the fort would fix it.  Boatsfastened was then summarily deleted courtesy of muscle memory…  >:(

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56680 on: June 05, 2022, 02:37:09 pm »

The mess I created is a pain to deal with, but at least my fortress is still alive and the surviving dorks have not all revolted yet. On a side note, a demon was killed ( somehow ) and ended up getting butchered + cooked ... the dorks have been eating very well from all the demonic meat.

So how is your FPS now that you plugged the circus closed?

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56681 on: June 05, 2022, 08:14:59 pm »

So how is your FPS now that you plugged the circus closed?
As of right now, the FPS is manageable ...  hoping my small band of dorks do NOT rebel on me long enough to get fresh recruits to show up.

A lot of memorial slabs have been carved, and an adamantine statue of the first expedition leader was constructed. Only the bare essential jobs are enabled at this point in time.
 Both cavern layers are sealed off to prevent any unexpected guests from showing up. I'm thankful that a safe clean water supply was constructed before the catastrophe happened.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56682 on: June 05, 2022, 10:16:20 pm »

I cut down far too many trees early on. Now I have more than a thousand logs to quantum stockpile. It's going to take a loooong time to get through them, and in the meantime more pesky trees keep growing!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56683 on: June 06, 2022, 04:41:31 am »

Yes, trees are a real pest in this version, growth is out of control. I've started to appreciate grazing animals, just because they prevent tree growth. You can also cover large areas quickly with paved roads.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56684 on: June 06, 2022, 11:43:24 am »

Normally I don't do paved roads because I remember in .34 they blinked repeatedly on screen and it just irked the crap out of me. That might be due to using Phoebus' tileset, but the experience wasn't visually appealing compared to spending tons of mats to build floors instead.

On the plus side, I can just keep my wood burners going making non-stop ash and charcoal. The forests around Swordbeer will burn to fuel its industry.

Side note, the dorfs of my fortress are modified to all be stupidly brave, handle stress extremely well, be utterly shameless, and not be prone to anxiety, so I am going to see what that means when it comes to not making or trading for clothes. They're going to wear what they brought until they become just tattered rags that they toss out and become a nudist fort! We'll see how that goes.
Pages: 1 ... 3777 3778 [3779] 3780 3781 ... 3836