Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3778 3779 [3780] 3781 3782 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858748 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56685 on: June 06, 2022, 03:12:25 pm »

Twice now no new migrants have been attracted to my fortress ... I wonder if it has anything to do with the demon invasion and mass death ?
 I've been doing everything I can think of to increase the total created wealth, exported wealth, and dork happiness.

I opened a really nice tavern for my dorks to socialize with outsiders, play the expensive musical instruments that where imported, and generally have a good time.
 * sigh *
 A goblin dancer showed up to put on a show ... and turned into a werelizard. 1 dork outright killed, outpost liaison was killed, 5 dorks injured. According to the combat logs, I think the only one to get bit was the liaison ... and some of my dorks weren't using assigned armor.
 Werelizard was put down eventually.
* sigh *
  Beak Dogs showed up shortly after, ending the lives of 2 more dorks who where cleaning up the mess in the tavern.

Attrition is becoming very brutal.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56686 on: June 06, 2022, 03:31:16 pm »

Undead Axedwarf remnant of a siege that went away was stuck atop a tree. Eventually got killed by a combination of marksdwarves peppering him with crossbow bolts and one hammerdwarf standing directly underneath him and bashing his XX(steel helm)XX in with a platinum war hammer. However, the corpse and its stuff remained up there. When one of my dwarves chopped the tree down, the bismuth bronze axe struck my hammerdwarf scribe in the head. He bled out in hospital as the doctor was cleaning the wound.

First casualty of the fort!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56687 on: June 06, 2022, 05:55:35 pm »

Further to that, I have learned of the joys of autobutcher! I now have far more meat than I know what to do with, but the days of trying to manually manage the catsplosion and rampant pregnancies of my farm animals are over!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56688 on: June 07, 2022, 11:02:19 am »

Further to that, I have learned of the joys of autobutcher! I now have far more meat than I know what to do with, but the days of trying to manually manage the catsplosion and rampant pregnancies of my farm animals are over!
I thought that auto butcher only means that dead wild animals on the surface are processed?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56689 on: June 07, 2022, 11:22:59 am »

End of year 29 in Gravearmor
The miner Catten, who has been in and out of prison several times for starting fights, finally started her last fight. She and 17 others died as a result of it. Population dropped from 408 to 390. Ten beds in the hospital isn't enough, time to expand it.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56690 on: June 07, 2022, 11:54:08 am »

I thought that auto butcher only means that dead wild animals on the surface are processed?
DFhack "enable autobutcher" I believe automates animal butchering according to specifications.
 I personally don't use it, so can not comment on how well it works.

In my fortress, migrants have finally arrived! My dorks are back up to the pop cap of 30. This endeavor may yet survive.

I've set out good number of weapons traps in surface areas my dorks like to venture. Hopefully those can deal with some of the Beak Dogs and other dangerous critters that may wonder too close.
 Another crypt has been dug to deal with future "issues".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:57:42 am by RLS0812 »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56691 on: June 07, 2022, 12:00:58 pm »

Autobutcher is a DFHack plugin that allows you to set targets for the specific number of non-named, non-work tame animals in your fort, either as a blanket or species by species, and will automatically butcher excess animals to keep the population at that level prioritizing older adults and newest births (because you can specify the number of female kids, male kids, female adults, and male adults). You will never suffer from catsplosions again, but you will end up with more meat products than you know what to do with.

Because I have been raising Giant Grizzly Bears in my fort and training them for war, my surplus bears were butchered. I have over 5k meat and six kitchens cannot cook roasts fast enough... and they've already filled up the prepared meals stockpile in my tavern so it's just insane. I can ignore whatever the caravan wants each year, because I can just buy them out with roasts. Why dig for resources when you can ask the mountainhome to send them to you and give them back the works of art of your chefs and bonecarvers?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:14:33 pm by Urist McShire »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56692 on: June 07, 2022, 12:11:47 pm »

I had, like, 226 animals between cows, sheep, geese, cats, and giant grizzly bears plus the animals migrants brought with them. Manually managing them was a chore, so this caused an avalanche of meat and bone products to flood into my stockpiles. I'm just thankful I'm already quantum stockpiling all of the craftable butcherable items like bones, wool, hooves, and horns.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56693 on: June 08, 2022, 04:43:37 pm »

Received message that somedork was found dead, drained of blood. Great, a vampire came with one of the repopulation waves.
At the time I had 9 surviving adult dorks from my original population + 3 children, leaving 17 suspects.
 In the older versions of DF it wasn't overly difficult to find vampires, but that seems to have changed in the newer versions.
 Histories or ages did not show anything unusual - inventories where normal for dorks. 4 dorks had very long relationship screens, so I decided to watch them.
 Patience and time paid off, as I noted that one of them did not eat or sleep. She also had a "Master" in the relationship tab.
 Nicknamed the dork to "Vampire", stripped her of everything she had, and created a special burrows just for her.
The vampire is now walled in as an 'insurance policy' just incase my fortress gets wiped out, and she is also the permanent militia commander. 

Since I have had a full population of 30 dorks, I was time to deal with the demons in the "basement" and attempt to mine out the last bits of adamantine.
  The mess that was leftover from "plugging the hole" resulted in the death of 2 miners, but it was not as bad as expected.

Reached the last layer and set up the usual trapped hallways to smoosh demonic hoards. Worked wonderful, without any more dorks dying horribly ... HOWEVER I now had a stairway directly into the underworld, which I've never had access to before.
 I sealed the hole while preparing a special close-by stock pile with steel bars for fast wall building.

11 dorks died in the construction of those walls, but it was eventually built, sealing off my little bit of the underdark.
 The adamantine statue of Domas Puremine, (( first expedition leader who personally lead his squad against the demonic hoards to buy enough time to wall off the unprepared fortress )), was hauled down and erected in the underworld.
 Now I needed a fitting shrine to this ultimate hero of dorks. Dug down into the slade floor at the base of the statue, digging out a special tomb on the very bottom layer of the map. Also constructed a safe viewing area overlooking the vast void of the abyssal netherworld.
 Set up a stock pile specifically for slade, and plopped down the necessary workshops right there where the crypts would go. I commissioned a slade wall grate for the viewing area, and a slade statue of Domas Puremine. It was encrusted with the most precious gems my dorks had.
 The statue is now standing next to the viewing area, as a permanent memorial to Domas Puremine's sacrifice.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 05:08:54 pm by RLS0812 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56694 on: June 08, 2022, 05:45:29 pm »

Congrats on winning the game!

Kinda
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56695 on: June 09, 2022, 07:50:29 am »

Congrats on winning the game!
I wish it was that easy. FPS death is my biggest enemy on this laptop, and almost every fortress ends up being retired due to this issue.

I need to empty my stockpiles more ... over 5,000 prepared meals for 30 dorks + all the accumulated junk. Last caravan left with over *720,000 in profits, the next one most likely with even more.

If I have time today, I think I'll have my dorks very very slowly haul up 3 slade to rebuild the trade depo :)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56696 on: June 10, 2022, 12:33:24 pm »

Had a chitinous Hill Titan arrive at my fort, spewing deadly spittle. He managed to kill off a visiting human bowman that was outside the walls but that duel did allow time for me to get everything set in place to test how my defenses worked.

Observation #1: Titans seem to be immune to getting splattered by ballista bolts. Two bolts soared right through his square without so much as a *dodge* showing up in the report.

Observation #2: War animals are useless against Titans and Megabeasts. Had upwards of twenty war giant grizzly bears in a cage released upon the titan and they all were overcome by terror and ran away. They did manage to provide an ample distraction to pull him back into the kill box to be fired upon by overhead crossbow dwarves, however, with one shot from a steel bolt through the torso ending him. But I lost, like, 8 war giant grizzlies with barely anything to show for it.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56697 on: June 10, 2022, 03:09:47 pm »

Just found a second adamantine spire on my 3x3 embark, the first time I've ever had two.  I'd spent the last few years mining a particularly dense spire and just accidentally discovered this one.  Sadly the game crashed while I was trying to get access to it (unlike the first this is almost entirely submerged in magma).

I'm not sure how rare this is.  I usually have done 2x2 embarks which aren't even guaranteed to have a single spire, because until fairly recently I was playing DF on a potato.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56698 on: June 12, 2022, 02:14:18 am »

So... I made a boo-boo.

In having my cavalcade of war giant grizzlies, I went the cheaty easy way by adding the necessary tags so that I could have them right at embark, including wolves and moose in that list (yes, giant moose trained for war). The problem that I did not originally think about at the time was that I also increased the size of the base creature, and then went and increased the size increase of the giant version of said creature. I wanted them to be something massive that would be able to take a bunch of hits and just pummel the everloving crap out of whatever came their way.

I did not forsee how that would impact butchering returns.

Now I sit upon a mountain of 15,000 meat products that I have no conceivable way of my fort ever eating their way out of and legendary bonecrafters churning out bone bolts and bone crafts for eons. When you have a single stack of 106 giant grizzly bear bone, it takes a while to get through that.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56699 on: June 12, 2022, 11:44:49 am »

Now I sit upon a mountain of 15,000 meat products that I have no conceivable way of my fort ever eating their way out of and legendary bonecrafters churning out bone bolts and bone crafts for eons. When you have a single stack of 106 giant grizzly bear bone, it takes a while to get through that.
And I thought my method of spamming bolts made too many.  I have a squad of disposable archers constantly wandering the caverns killing crundles with crundle bone bolts then making more bolts out of crundle bone.  Then they level up quickly until they're no longer disposable and get moved into a real squad.
Pages: 1 ... 3778 3779 [3780] 3781 3782 ... 3836