Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3782 3783 [3784] 3785 3786 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856239 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56745 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:44 am »

I realized this reclaim fort has a great theme running in it.

The name of the fort is Cryptrises. It was destroyed by a Forgotten Beast who we're here to kill (just waiting for it to wander in.)
There were only three artifacts and a book in the fort when we arrived.
A dwarf-bone coffin, two artifact spears, and the book named "Understanding the Duel"

We're here to duel that beast, and put it in a grave.

For the record, because I'm playing on a Chromebook, and having to use an emulated version of Linux to install anything, I'm playing 47.04-- and really feeling the lack of a patch.

If you're running a VM of Linux, you should be able to run 47.05 the old-fashioned way (not off software manager). It takes just one line to get the dependencies. The installation guide on the Wiki is quite good. Save should be fine to move forward a version.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56746 on: July 01, 2022, 10:12:58 am »

If you're running a VM of Linux, you should be able to run 47.05 the old-fashioned way (not off software manager). It takes just one line to get the dependencies. The installation guide on the Wiki is quite good. Save should be fine to move forward a version.

The DF wiki has one section specifically for installing it on chromebook, which results in the outdated version.  Using other linux methods isn't so straightforward-- the version of Linux is a propriatary, bastardized combination of Debian and Ubuntu called "Crostini" that works juuust differently enough from other distributions to make doing things the Ubuntu/Debian way an uphill battle.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56747 on: July 01, 2022, 07:38:11 pm »

The DF wiki has one section specifically for installing it on chromebook, which results in the outdated version.  Using other linux methods isn't so straightforward-- the version of Linux is a propriatary, bastardized combination of Debian and Ubuntu called "Crostini" that works juuust differently enough from other distributions to make doing things the Ubuntu/Debian way an uphill battle.
You can probably add the experimental repo to /etc/apt/sources.list, it has .05 - here's someone doing that with testing to get an updated version of Audacity on Crostini. If that works we can update the wiki.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56748 on: July 02, 2022, 03:05:50 am »

In my first two migrant waves in my new fort, I have a grand total of eight new dwarves. To offset this pathetic trickle of new labor, the Mountainhome made sure I got some skills--between those eight dwarves, there are also no fewer than eight legendary skills. So what did the Mountainhome send me?

One legendary carpenter/woodcutter/bowyer. This is actually worth celebrating. It means nice beds and awesome bows and shields for my archers--I don't let them out of their pillboxes, so they don't need to bash things.

As for the rest...three legendary stonecrafters. One of whom is also a legendary bone carver and bookbinder.

Well...at least I've got someone to hold those very nice bows.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56749 on: July 02, 2022, 04:48:37 am »

I'm getting incredibly frustrated at trade caravans again.  >:( >:( >:(

My first really serious fort, no flux at embark.  After that goblin siege, I'm just waiting to get the chance to trade for chalk and marble.  I requested some from the dwarves last year.  I make it to autumn, the wagons show up...  Weeks go by... AND THEY )*%@)#8ING LEAVE BEFORE THEY FINISH UNLOADING so I don't get to buy ANYTHING AT ALL!  Fuck this game some times, seriously!  This would be the third time I've gotten screwed over by frustrating caravan bugs.  First time, I had dug through an aquifer and the wagon slipped on 1/7th of water and sealed a horse into a wall, falling apart, littering my entrance with crap dwarves refused to pick up (even after it was claimed and set to dump) and then the wagons never came back, angry that they lost money.  Second time, traders overstayed and refused to leave, started having tantrums and causing problems, I had to dismantle the depot to get them to leave, and again...  Never came back, because they left items behind.  Now this...  Getting stuff from merchants is so important in this game for players trying to learn so they don't have to provide every possible resource on their own.   >:(  I'm sick of the elves being the only reliable ones, and they have only carry trash, fruit, toys, and one or two outfits of clothing.

The bugs in this game are what affect my enjoyment of it the most negatively.  Challenge, poor RNG, whatever...  I want to *last long enough* to see the day my fort has stopped multiple sieges and forgotten beasts and crap, but FFS the game bugs out and the frames die from discarded socks (that I can't get rid of without having to look up how to accomplish that), it's just...  The interesting, engaging, and fun things in this game are behind a sea of tedious and mundane challenges that are largely "do you have X thing sitting around for dwarves to see/use/wear?"

I can't imagine playing this game and being able to train a sizable military, fight off invaders, delve the caverns...  I'm too busy trying to make sure dwarves don't personally decide to not pray for two seasons and then start trying to assault everyone around them.  Like there's so much cool stuff you could do...  But instead it's just a game where I have to pamper and shelter fragile and innocent babies who can't even dress themselves properly (FFS, METAL FOOTWEAR should mean my squad isn't all wearing leather boots, Exact Matches, not Partial Match!).

Not being able to buy any flux really, really upset me.  Was it because they brought so much heavy stone it was too slow to unload?  So, fuck me I guess for asking for some?  I needed drinks, too! I'm not painfully waiting for another year while my fort continues to deal with stress problems to HOPE the game won't screw me over by having it take AN ENTIRE SEASON to unload a wagon!  Bye, Fort Hopefulstockades, I'm retiring you and forgetting about this game again until I figure out how to install DFHack on Crostini with minimal frustration.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56750 on: July 04, 2022, 07:00:34 am »

A dwarf is walking around the fort with broken bones and a smashed open foot. He is not going to the hospital. I don't know why. Maybe he needs soap?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56751 on: July 05, 2022, 10:45:09 am »

I've noticed several things over the years.  One, the dwarves adopt a routine day-to-day.  Right now, I have four locations: one eastern bulwark, a western outpost, an underground city, and a cave colony.  The dwarves have begun to congregate in their respective locations, usually avoiding the western outpost since it's in disrepair.

The dwarves also have a social life.  After following a few of my named ones, I noticed the social aspect is symbolic.  They usually agree and disagree.

There have been two homicides: one dehydration (suspected poisoning) and one homicide (the caves).  The colonists ended up throwing the body into a cubby room with a hidden black-spore door.

There's a ghost haunting the bulwark.  It usually floats around and keeps the children company, since they usually reside in the dormitories above ground.

One of my dwarves, Sofia, has been depressed lately.  She has no friends, and had one child, 'Cikul', who grew to be a planter.  She's the fastest miner I have, but she usually throws a fit while she's doing it, so the others avoid her.

The mayor has been giving Sofia a hard time, and the two of them can usually be seen walking off from the throne room.

The engravers have slowly been weaving a story in the Throne Room.  It depicts the original expedition and the Chief Medical Dwarf, and the Mountainhome.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56752 on: July 08, 2022, 03:49:51 pm »

For the record, because I'm playing on a Chromebook, and having to use an emulated version of Linux to install anything, I'm playing 47.04-- and really feeling the lack of a patch.

I hope stress gets to a state where a dozen or so goblins showing up one time and then all dieing isn't enough to effectively spell the end of a game.
If I am recalling correctly, 0.74.04 is the most horribly bugged version on stress.  I don't recall having a single fort where it didn't turn into a tantrum spiral.  It's a lot better now.

The only good thing I can say about stress mechanics in that version is you got really good at coping with it.  I now go to excessive lengths to make every dwarf's life really nice, even though you barely have to these days, they stay sane no matter what you throw at them.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56753 on: July 08, 2022, 04:23:57 pm »

You can probably add the experimental repo to /etc/apt/sources.list, it has .05 - here's someone doing that with testing to get an updated version of Audacity on Crostini. If that works we can update the wiki.

Your efforts are admirable, but that's sadly not the issue.  I was able to download 47.05 using the existing instructions on the wiki (repositories, dependencies, and using the wget command)-- and Crostini refused to acknowledge it.  Literally downloaded the compressed file through the terminal, only for the terminal to then pretend the file did not exist and so I could not unzip it.  I wasn't in the wrong directory or anything, Crostini is just anti-consumer garbage.  I then tried uncompressing the file with an app through the ChromeOS and putting the folder back into my Linux files.  After this, Crostini was able to see the files, but it just told me I lacked permissions to run dwarf fortress (./df specifically), and every time I'd give it permissions it just found another file it lacked permission for.   ;D ;D ;D  Fun fun fun with Google's worthless regressive technology.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56754 on: July 08, 2022, 05:01:23 pm »

*sharpens bootdisk*

Sounds like it's time for an unfortunate accident to install a new OS.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56755 on: July 08, 2022, 05:01:43 pm »

After this, Crostini was able to see the files, but it just told me I lacked permissions to run dwarf fortress (./df specifically), and every time I'd give it permissions it just found another file it lacked permission for.   ;D ;D ;D  Fun fun fun with Google's worthless regressive technology.

Actually, that's normal when you download DF for Linux from Bay12.
To launch this version: in a terminal emulator, cd to that directory, and run ./df. If you get a permission error, you may need to mark the script and executable as being executable with:

$ chmod u+x df libs/Dwarf_Fortress
Using the package from experimental repo would fix that and any issues with the outdated libs that come with DF.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56756 on: July 08, 2022, 05:49:24 pm »

All the native gold and galena veins are fractured. There is only one cave layer but its looooooong.

I still haven't made it to its floor. It something like 30 z levels high. It's absurdly long.

I made a moat around my forts entrance.

FPS has lowered significantly. But it is managable. I disabled the tempature. How do further increase my FPS?

The miner who had his foot broken is still not going to the hospital. I have given up on them now. The wound is not getting infected, and he doesn't even gets a negative thought from it. He even functions as as normal, albeit slower.

There was a giantess attacking before. I had her killled, then the body just rotted away, and the leftover skeleton was in the way of the moat.

So her grave is a watery one.

I figured out how to make altars. The masons just wouldn't make stone ones even if I ordered. So I had metalcrafters to make iron ones and they instantly got to that. Why, anyone?

Lastly, I keep running out of stone. How?!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56757 on: July 08, 2022, 09:48:21 pm »

Sigh.  I tried again; following the wiki page's instructions, starting with the Crostini instructions and then moving to the Debian instructions, including downloading the .  I download the .bz2 file, this time I actually get the Crostini terminal to unpack it for me.  When I run ./df instead of getting a permission error, I get...  Ugh, I should have screencapped it.  Missing libraries.

The first was libGLU.so.1 which I believe I managed to find online and download through the terminal.  The second was libstdc++.so.6 and it's much harder to find details on. 
Ah...  I wish ChromeOS would just let me run .exe files...  Then I wouldn't have to engage with all this arcane bullshit.  Linux is cool and all.  But it's still a pain to use.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56758 on: July 09, 2022, 04:58:36 am »

Those are the two included with DF that all of us just delete, I think. It's in the Linux section on the wiki.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56759 on: July 20, 2022, 09:12:16 am »

A caravan from the elven civilization Lefari Refe arrived. We're at peace and I've been buying their freaky god-cloth musical instruments. As soon as they got close I started getting "Urist McEverybody cancels Behave Normally: Interrupted by a elf merchant." Meanwhile, the elves are running away from my dwarves, frightened. Nobody's attacking anybody, we're clearly not fighting, but...
Pages: 1 ... 3782 3783 [3784] 3785 3786 ... 3836