Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3784 3785 [3786] 3787 3788 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854529 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56775 on: July 26, 2022, 03:45:09 pm »

So... my engraver is known for being salty, but THIS is what he decided belonged in the "outsider temple" upstairs...

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56776 on: July 26, 2022, 08:05:06 pm »

Well, well, somebody has aspirations to become Nobility.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56777 on: July 27, 2022, 02:18:51 am »

I bet that's not something the people visiting the fort will be expecting to see on the walls.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56778 on: July 27, 2022, 05:33:56 pm »

I just had a yak cow from an elven caravan give birth to two calves (independently not "gave birth to twins" (or two yak cows give birth to one each, but the report only lets me view one))

The elves have only been here for 15 days. It takes animals 6 months from pregnancy to birth in DF, so this has me stumped. I do have DFhack installed but im not running any scripts that mess with animals (or anything at all for the moment) and its not from any non-dfhack mod (pregnancies are hardcoded) The only conceivable reason I can come up with that might explain it is if this yak cow(s) is/are one that came with the dwarven caravan, which would be just about six months ago, but that would require the game pulling from historical populations for a new caravan (merchants and their animals do become historical figures after visiting your fort) and pulling from a different civ. Pack animals do have civ level ties usually, but historical figures also move between sites once off-site as we've seen in the Museum III game, so maybe the yak cow settled in an elven site of the nearby civ, became a member of that civ automatically and was selected from there.

This is the first year of a new fort on a new world.

Both the calves are listed as merchants too, maybe theyll leave with the caravan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:35:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #56779 on: July 27, 2022, 09:45:26 pm »

For my current fort I decided to really put some effort into making a cool temple that matches the god(s) being worshipped, and not just a big room with a bunch of random statues designated for no particular deity. I decided to dedicate the majority of my effort to worshipping Zas, the Goddess of Mountains, since I figured that was fitting. Worshippers of those other gods get to hang out in the side room with the sub-standard statues.

Play was pretty normal for a while, up until I noticed while flipping through my finished goods that not only were there figurines of Zas, but figurines of Zas Claspedhonored. Further investigation revealed it was one of my very own dwarves, a stonecrafter who had made a very fancy artifact ring not too long ago! Not only that, but Zas, Goddess of Mountains, is typically depicted as a female dwarf, and, well. Zap Claspedhonored is a female dwarf.

So since then, I've been setting my sights on doing whatever it takes to make Zas Claspedhonored, Mother of Mountains, Holy Be Her Name, happy. Big, custom quarters dug into the back of the temple! She likes chickens? Statues of chickens! Only the best for Our Lady Zas! It doesn't seem to be doing much to lighten her mood, though. She isn't unhappy, but she isn't happy either, sitting solidly at Fine like the rest of the dwarves who don't have a Grand Dining Hall to their name. She also has persistent thoughts of loneliness over not being around family, which I have no idea how to fix since based on her relationships screen she has no family. A lot of friends, and she's a casual worshipper of herself, but I only did 5 years of pre-fort worldgen so like most people she just kinda appeared in the world fully-formed. Which is exactly how she blended in with us lowly mortals...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56780 on: July 27, 2022, 11:55:08 pm »

I find that I was totally wrong, as the first year dwarven caravan actually never left. So those were the first caravan's yaks.

I deconstructed the depot once the summer caravans left and that solved the problem. The calves followed their mother(s) off-site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56781 on: July 28, 2022, 02:54:13 pm »

Most dwarves in my civ worship the elven force of nature. Values wise they are still, on average, disturbed somewhat by nature
and many elves and goblins in the world worship our deities. Arguably more passionately than we do because all creative works dedicated to our gods are made by elves or goblins

I'm trying to picture how it came about.
Perhaps elves traveling to dwarven lands to use tunnels to reach the mushroom forests underneath the forest retreats? Those regular pilgrimages made religious conversion easy for both sides
Dwarves having expanded out of the mountains want to worship and respect the regional god/force of these lands
and goblins likely were culturally assimilated in war

How would dwarves see the elven force of nature as compared to the elves?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56782 on: July 28, 2022, 05:58:18 pm »

Their view would be less positive than that of elves. I imagine they would see the force as a predatorial presence and their worship would be a fearful reverence rather than joyful worship.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56783 on: July 28, 2022, 10:14:11 pm »

Praying, for no rain.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56784 on: July 29, 2022, 03:30:30 am »

Dwarves that worship elven forces aren't really dwarves but short elves with fake beards.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56785 on: July 30, 2022, 01:18:42 am »

... Values wise they are still, on average, disturbed somewhat by nature...

Terrifyingly hostile and implacable Forces, akin to the Norse Jotun, whom they placate with Prayer and Offerings in the Hope that they will lay waste to Someone - Anyone - Else.

The Elfs and Goblins, meanwhile, are presumably worshipping the dwarfen Gods in the Hope that this will keep the Dwarfs away.  Whether this will work is another Matter altogether.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56786 on: July 31, 2022, 01:32:19 am »

So since then, I've been setting my sights on doing whatever it takes to make Zas Claspedhonored, Mother of Mountains, Holy Be Her Name, happy. Big, custom quarters dug into the back of the temple! She likes chickens? Statues of chickens! Only the best for Our Lady Zas! It doesn't seem to be doing much to lighten her mood, though. She isn't unhappy, but she isn't happy either, sitting solidly at Fine like the rest of the dwarves who don't have a Grand Dining Hall to their name. She also has persistent thoughts of loneliness over not being around family, which I have no idea how to fix since based on her relationships screen she has no family. A lot of friends, and she's a casual worshipper of herself, but I only did 5 years of pre-fort worldgen so like most people she just kinda appeared in the world fully-formed. Which is exactly how she blended in with us lowly mortals...

Get that woman a spouse!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56787 on: July 31, 2022, 12:47:24 pm »

So... new fort, only a few years old, and I've noticed a couple of oddities that didn't seem to be an issue when last I played:

- I had a hunter just spontaneously become a necromancer.  Now she's listed as a student of someone who isn't in the fort, and there's no books of life and death in my (still very limited) library.  How?
- I have had several incursions from caverns of minor annoyances (troll, few trogs, etc.) which leads me to believe I have a path open into them but... I don't.  The usual detection methods via pathing, etc., show no access.  How?
- I have a lot (like, one per season) night creatures of various types wandering my map now.  Where did they come from?
- I have had several undead-appearing creatures with odd names showing up in my public tavern claiming to be people Legends mode shows to be dead.  Are these just lying visitors or something more sinister?

The community's help is welcome, as I'm a few years out of the loop on this bad boy and the learning curve is oddly steep.  :)  Thanks!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56788 on: July 31, 2022, 02:29:17 pm »

Getting back into playing DF again after years.

First fort: Things went great till the idiots destroyed all the plump helmet spawn. While a zombie dragon was laying siege outside... Overseer walked away.

Second Fort: Nolethmafol (Gulfchamber)
Here is the fort that actually had some events in just the first 30 minutes...

-Edem Alathvukcas the woodcutter (#7) goes to chop some trees while the other six prepare to move us underground... Promptly fells a tree on himself. Shatters his left leg. Well, it is the opening act and I just did a straight "EMBARK NOW!" so no doctors. Expedition leader grabs the poor SOB and puts him back together without any issues what so ever, no infection, nothing. Perfect job. Lucky dwarf right?

-Hit the caves... Perfect spot! Lots of land to farm. Problem... Monster infestation as follows in order of warfare over who owns the caves:

1. A reacher keeps picking fights with lone dwarves. Dwarves punch all her lower teeth out. She keeps messing with the dwarves. Dwarves break her legs, then her arms. Fight ends when militia drafted and they stove her head in.

2. Blind cave ogre wants dwarf meat (early migrants show up as well...) to round out his diet. Dog takes exception to this. Fight breaks out... Militia called in, more conscripts grabbed. During dog/ogre tussle it grabs a miner and chomps them. Militia arrives and begins beating, hacking ogre to death piecemeal. I really mean that... This was a battle that made me laugh.
-Ogre has dog hanging onto her left wrist, swings around wildly to break the dogs grip.
-Ogre grabs dwarf child and uses said child as club against dog and militia
-Child gets free, ogre does a body slam with her right arm on the childs nose.
-Passing spinner who is working on a wall stops for a moment to kick ogre in left foot with her left foot making the knee bend painfully. Spinner goes on her way.
-Dwarf child (Urdim Eribdak, she) manages to get on TOP of the ogre... And starts playing kongo drums using the ogres skull as the drum along with two other dwarves.
-Ogre grabs Urdim again, starts swinging like a mallet, lets Urdim go when...
-Dwarf bites down hard on the ogres upper body. I imagined this as the dwarf biting the lady bits because the ogre let go of Urdim REALLY fast.
-Ogre pulls dwarf off and grabs them by the tongue and flings them.
-Ogre punches another dwarf in arm, it explodes.
-Ogre bites another dwarf in right hand, nearly severs
-Dwarf climbs on and bites ogre on "chest" again.
-Another dwarf climbs on, grabs ogres lower lip and tries to tear it off.
-Ogre is tearing off dwarves, punches one in the head. Body part explodes. Athel is dead.
-Dwarf punches ogre to hard she staggers and has trouble breathing.
-Urdim is back, ogre swings, misses. Tries again, hits the foot. Grabs Urdim again, throws her again.
-Ogre grabs dog as new billyclub. Splatters dog on cave wall after missing wrestler. Dog dead. Much pre-ground dog meat to be had.
-Exhaustion. Ogre passes out. Dwarves pile on.
-Urdim back again, punching ogre in head.
-Pet piglet Ast joins the fray. Begins kicking and biting.
-Militia commander finally learns how to hit with axe... Finally going to work, begins dismantling ogre.
-Ogre wakes up one last time... Litast and commander standing over her with axes in hand. They both swing and begin chopping head open. Ogre screams one last time as Litast breaks through the thick skull and destroys the brain.
-Militia disbanded, Litast brought back though to be commander just in case...

3. Things are quiet... Wrong, less than three minutes later I see an injured dwarf... Its Edem again. There is a body part on the cavern floor... But he did not fell a tree on himself. No, he cut it down and a jabber fell on him somehow. It cuts his RIGHT leg off (left shattered) and leaves. He lays there in pain bleeding but is quickly brought to the "new and improves hospital" so the expedition leader can bandage him up again. Now I checked his mental state and he has no and I mean NO negative thoughts about losing his leg let alone the left leg or the jabber attack. He feels great.
-Edem has been retired from his jobs considering how... Cutting trees and personal health just dont mix, he will now become a clothier/weaver and not be responsible for anything else.

4. Urdim, the bitey little dwarven child is fine, all that combat and she suffered... A dented right lower arm. Thats it. Hacky sack, club and football for an ogre and thats it. She is 1 year old. She had NO negative thoughts about combat, she only felt sad at seeing Athel get exploded. I think I may have just found a future militia commander.

----------
5. Update
-Just hit submit and another battle broke out
-Litast got into it with a giant cave crocodile that was assaulting a jeweler, almost lost but pulled off a hail marry and killed it. Lost her nose.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 02:32:23 pm by vekar »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56789 on: July 31, 2022, 04:24:20 pm »

So... new fort, only a few years old, and I've noticed a couple of oddities that didn't seem to be an issue when last I played:

- I have had several incursions from caverns of minor annoyances (troll, few trogs, etc.) which leads me to believe I have a path open into them but... I don't.  The usual detection methods via pathing, etc., show no access.  How?

Probably climbing up from a hole/bottom of a stairwell in the roof of the caverns. Dwarves wouldn't be able to path back down, so you wouldnt find it easily. Gotta remember to floor over/wall off every hole you make, even diagonal paths.

The undead are probably intelligent undead who have been raised by a necromancer and are working for them as agents. They tend to ignore your dwarves in fort mode, might try to steal an artifact, but will prove a challenge if you try to kill them. I would use repeating upright spike traps in a hallway run by several different levers pulled by dwarves trapped in the lever room so they keep pulling them.

Your hunter may have already been an apprentice to the necromancer before arriving, and as far as I know apprenticeships started in worldgen with necromancers run on a timer, and aren't specific to any real interaction between master and student, so it was probably just her time to become one.

No idea whats with the night creatures. What kind are they/what are they called? Necromancer experiments? If so they do sometimes wander the wilderness as a wild animal populations of sorts.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 3784 3785 [3786] 3787 3788 ... 3836