Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3788 3789 [3790] 3791 3792 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856564 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56835 on: September 26, 2022, 08:55:50 am »

My fort's goal is to became the next Library Of Alexandria. Is there some way to get more scholars, but with a small history and low populations? I have a feeling those are mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 08:58:06 am by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56836 on: September 26, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »

Enable all scholar types on all races and set them all to value knowledge greatly.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56837 on: September 26, 2022, 11:06:31 pm »

Currently waiting for a giant to massacre all of the local wildlife before he heads for one of my containment cells.  Unlike a previous fort where I tied a puppy as bait, this time I’ve got a built artifact coffin (rock chrystal, iirc) surrounded by loaded cage traps.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56838 on: September 26, 2022, 11:43:11 pm »

Currently waiting for a giant to massacre all of the local wildlife before he heads for one of my containment cells.  Unlike a previous fort where I tied a puppy as bait, this time I’ve got a built artifact coffin (rock chrystal, iirc) surrounded by loaded cage traps.
For some reason my ridiculously open fort had a batch of miscreants hanging around near the edge of the map for over a year consisting of poets and bards and the like and worse elves, and a minotaur suddenly showed up.  I moved out the military into the front since these are usually no big deal but he barged into the idiot convention on the edge of the map instead.

He killed a bunch of useless poets and elves and the like but one of the bards punched him to death.  At least it broke up the loitering, whatever that was about.  I assume they were up to no good.  Military went back inside.

I've also been trying to set up a trap where instead of an actual trap hallway (have one of those already), there's an opening from the surface to the bottom cavern layer, and then another that involves a zig-zagging course through all the caverns on the way back up to the fort, so when the proper gates are open and closed, they path in.  So far I haven't been able to tempt them in.  The idea is just letting the FBs that have been there for years and the invaders duke it out.  I don't want to deal with these webbers and gas spitters and so on.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56839 on: September 27, 2022, 02:16:25 pm »

Do I need bookcases to be on the same z-level as the library? I wanted to have plenty of space for my readers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56840 on: September 27, 2022, 04:53:00 pm »

You might be able to get away with having two zones, both part of the library, with tables and chairs in one and bookcases in the other. Ive only ever put them in the same z-level though
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56841 on: September 27, 2022, 04:56:55 pm »

You might be able to get away with having two zones, both part of the library, with tables and chairs in one and bookcases in the other. Ive only ever put them in the same z-level though

Yeah, that works. I've seen dorfs fetch books from one z-level/zone of a library and going to another to read.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56842 on: September 27, 2022, 06:21:00 pm »

I use this !!!SCIENCE!!! from Leonidas:
To prevent visitors from stealing books, the wiki recommends designating two libraries. One has bookshelves and does not permit visitors, while the other permits visitors and has no bookshelves. The problem is that bookshelves are not the only place to store books. They are also stored in tables when they're being written, read, or copied. So under the wiki's approach you can still lose books when one visiting sholar picks up the book that another visiting scholar just wrote. And books don't normally move from the visitors' library to the main library. A book in a table in one library will not be moved to a bookcase in another library.

Here's a trick: When a scholar sits down to write a book, he needs to use a chair in the library. The chair needs a table, but the table doesn't have to be in the library. If you put all the tables for visiting scholars outside the library zone, then the freshly written books don't belong to that library, so they can automatically be picked up and stored in the bookshelves in the main library.

Result: No more book theft!
This way not only do your books not get stolen but you steal any books that end up laying on the tables that are outside the library zone and thus hauled to the main library with bookcases.  You'd think scholars would read the fine print on the TOS they sign when entering your library. . .

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56843 on: September 28, 2022, 01:36:24 am »

This way not only do your books not get stolen but you steal any books that end up laying on the tables that are outside the library zone and thus hauled to the main library with bookcases.  You'd think scholars would read the fine print on the TOS they sign when entering your library. . .

Turns have table'd, I see...
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56844 on: September 28, 2022, 02:54:42 pm »

My fortress was assailed from both ends; undead on the surface, a forgotten beast on the other (despite being made of water, it killed my entire armored military. That fort fell.

This one is being built in a volcano, I plan to finally have the classic Dwarven Doomsday Device prepared
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56845 on: September 28, 2022, 02:59:42 pm »

Volcanos, and undead biomes go really well together, As long as your dwarves aren't too lazy to PICK THEM UP. Ñ

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56846 on: September 29, 2022, 08:14:53 pm »

The giant had it’s head bashed open by a hammerdwarf that was protecting the outpost liaison.

Edit:  now I’ve got a ghostly hunter wandering around…
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:47:39 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56847 on: October 02, 2022, 07:57:45 am »

I recently picked up a fort of mine I was working on a while back. After figuring out what the hell I was doing, I continued the projects I was working on before. Building a castle, training cavern creatures, defending against goblins and necromancers alike. A year passed. I was doing pretty well. Then a tantruming animal trainer picked up a stack of 80 draltha meat in the main food stockpile and shotgunned it at everyone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56848 on: October 02, 2022, 03:43:03 pm »

He started a loyalty cascade with a food fight? Not seen that one before
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56849 on: October 02, 2022, 05:32:11 pm »

I've seen it about a dozen times. Flung floor objects are one of the few things that can still start loyalty cascades, and food is one of the most common things left lying around where dwarves can grab it.
Pages: 1 ... 3788 3789 [3790] 3791 3792 ... 3836