Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3789 3790 [3791] 3792 3793 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858237 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56850 on: October 03, 2022, 08:48:10 am »

I've seen it once only in a fort where a civilian picked up a mug and threw it at someone, only to get killed by a miner.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56851 on: October 03, 2022, 04:38:46 pm »

I've decided to start a new fort: a 1x1 fort called Clashedboats. The world has been destroyed by two warring factions of necromancers. It used to be four, but two towers were razed and then raised by the remaining two. My fort is built in the barren shadow of one of the towers, on one of the few spots in the world with iron, flux, and an adamantine spire. My goal: to resist the necromancers, reestablish dwarven civilization, and master the power of magma.

First thing I see when I load in is that there's a zombie Eye of Ammen right next to my wagon. A large two-tailed humanoid with black scales and glowing eyes. Except it doesn't have black scales or glowing eyes because it's a skeleton. Great. I drafted the entire starting 7 and told them to kill it or die trying. Some ran, some fought, and the monster was killed with no casualties, but my farmer has a broken hand and my jeweler is chunky salsa. Frankly, it's astounding that he lived.

I quickly dig in, chopping down the dead trees, making a couple beds and an operating table, and make my miner a medical dwarf because he likes helping people. She turns the jeweler into a ball of cloth and splints. He's out of bed and able to eat and drink, so we're good? Meanwhile my cats are flopping about with yellow paws. Turns out they have Eye of Ammen extract on their paws. What? Some digging through the generated raws reveals that Eyes of Ammen secrete an extract from their scales that causes localized paralysis. This is not mentioned in their description. Lovely.

Anyway time to hunker down and get to building a very cramped fortress.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56852 on: October 05, 2022, 09:17:34 am »

Recently started a glacier fortress for the first time, and have been getting by with only 18 dwarves figuring I was just getting a low number of migrants due to how secluded the fort was. Got suspicious after 3 and a half in-game years of no migrants and checked, turns out a few irl months back I turned the pop cap in d_init really low for a challenge fort and completely forgot :o not my brightest moment

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56853 on: October 05, 2022, 03:43:15 pm »

Recently started a glacier fortress for the first time, and have been getting by with only 18 dwarves figuring I was just getting a low number of migrants due to how secluded the fort was. Got suspicious after 3 and a half in-game years of no migrants and checked, turns out a few irl months back I turned the pop cap in d_init really low for a challenge fort and completely forgot :o not my brightest moment

Hey... you can do a hell of a lot with 18 dwarves  :)  They're industrious little buggers, and that way you don't have to worry about tons of guildhalls and such.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

okelly4408

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56854 on: October 12, 2022, 10:22:48 pm »

Hello! It's been a while since I've played. I used to love this game and recently felt the itch again after a couple of years. I recently bought a new macbook pro so had a bit of difficulty getting everything running but eventually found Lazy Mac Pack is the (only) solution. Just to get back into things, I generated a standard medium world with a medium history and picked a site partly on the mountains, a dense mahogany forest, and near a small river.

Scholarlances. Our image is that of a giant sloth.
Year 250-251:
The site seems blessed with a surprisingly decent amount of iron and coke-producing rock. A small near-surface level base is created with small farms and the basic layout of some bedrooms and offices. Food is plentiful and the tiny tavern serving custard apple cider and pomegranate mussel roasts quickly becomes jam packed with poets, dancers, scholars, and warriors. The continent I have selected has a burgeoning goblin kingdom nearly surround my site with 5 necromancer towers active. Many of the tavern goers are indeed goblins but everything is peaceful and flourishing. We even manage to pump out a few artifacts - albeit our first death occurs when a stonemason goes mad upon a fruitless pursuit for thread and refuses to drink - including a lovely little microcline mini forge decked out in mother-of-pearl and green glass. Our people are busy keeping the furnaces pumping out the beginnings of a steel industry but the sheer amount of scholars, chemists, and astronomers present cries out for the creation of a library. Below the main fortress floor containing the office of the mayor - a newly arrived necromancer, Nish - manager, and bookkeeper along with the The Bronze Onion, our tavern, and some rudimentary bedrooms we lay out a grand dining hall and space for hospital, jail, barracks, and yes - the library: The Bastion of Rings. The small river is channeled down through the entrance to the library and patrons delight as they are misted upon beginning their scholastic endeavors. By the end of our first year, a water wheel has been built in order to allow for a constant supply of pig tail sheets to the writers of our fortress: a veritable torrent of single page codices focused mostly on medical topics but also on astronomy and mathematics. The mayor necromancer is a legendary surgeon and teacher, so hopefully his new position as chief medical dwarf will pay off. Even if some abominations are born on the iron operating tables, that is a fair price for good health care. Platinum is found frequently as well and soon the great tavern, as well as most rooms, are guarded by the gleaming visages of giant sloths. As the second year begins, our dwarves find themselves existing in a multicultural utopia of elves, goblins, and humans with daily requests for residency in the well furnished inn rooms that have multiplied in geometric excellence around the taverns. We look to the future with hope.

Year 252:
Every fucking day somebody tries to steal the artifacts. When it started, the perpetrator would be interrogated and given a short prison sentence (it seems like everyone in the fort has been corrupted by some outside malignancy - the mayor, the captain of the guard, and the hammerer have all been found stealing) but I am DONE. Executions are common place. The artifacts are clearly visible to all in the library so whenever a theft occurs, it is detected immediately and the criminal proceeds directly up to crammed and goblin-vomit painted Bronze Onion to hand it off to some cretin. After both parties are identified - the militia, now fully donned in steel, cleans them up but there is no suppressing the corruption at this point. I believe there were at least a dozen separate plots to steal a papaya wood bracelet with papaya wood spikes and an image of a papaya wood bracelet in papaya wood. The library has been expanded and more and more of these infernal guests arrive everyday to drink our cider and steal our worthless trinkets. No more. It is Summer and maybe it's the heat or maybe it's the stress from the increasing number of goblin settlements overtaking the former dwarven fortresses in the immediate region but something snaps. Things fall apart, the center cannot hold. It is time for a cleansing. The militia is given orders to wipe The Bronze Onion spotless. It is worth noting at this point that the population has quickly grown to around 100, 25% of whom applied for residency rather than arriving in migrant waves. The militia is led by a proud Urist and the first blow in the fracas is a beheading yet quickly it becomes apparent that chaos reigns over the follies we call plans. A cascade of factional violence erupts and every citizen becomes a combatant yet it is not clear which side anyone is on. A child hides in the forge chamber as the floors are soaked with blood and torsos claw their way in the futility over engravings of more noble times. When the dust clears, the population has been reduced to 40. Only one member of the original 7 and only one member of the militia have survived. Our mayor has vanished but further inspection finds his corpse at the bottom of the well in the hospital...how did he get down there? A DFHack command reveals he was pushed there by an elf. Of the applicees for the residency, two were spared from the Civil Brawl of 252 and both are goblins. The hospital is a scene in which every individual who will take part in the future of this fortress is either recovering or help somebody recover. The most deft suturer, a former bone carver, is selected to be the chief medical dwarf and by the time the last patient has crutched out of the doors she is a legendary wound dresser and suturer. The surviving member of the militia, one Ducim, has been given the role of commander and holds 8 kills personally. Across from the former jewel of the fort is carved a catacombs housing all who formerly schemed, plotted, or simply existed in these walls. As the forges begin to return to operation, a dwarf orphan exits the warmth back to her, now private, room.

Year 253-254
Normalcy has blossomed slowly but surely. A special vault with a draw bridge has been constructed to hold the crown jewel papaya wood bracelet of our fortress and overall crime is far down...seems like that massacre wasn't necessary oops. Once again a necromancer has taken residency in the traditional apartment quarters of the mayor and Ducim has become an excellent teacher for the new generation of warrior dwarves. The one surviving member of the original seven is the foremost scholar of The Bastion and has added considerably to the bulk of medical texts on our platinum shelves. In fact, there are now so many doctor dwarves that a doctor lounge cum guild hall has been added by way of corridor to the hospital. A few of these medical professionals are also necromancers so through a secret passage in the chief medical dwarf's apartment is a cozy drowning chamber with a draw bridge/wall that separates this water closet from a barred in giant spider. A number of our residents have gone through some remarkable transformations here....others have not been so lucky but this is Scholarlances: a place where the adage of  "practice makes perfect" shapes our every waking thought. The inn complex now hosts a wide array of artists and intellectuals who have come from far and wide to experience the signature custard apple cider and famous steel bound codices lining the platinum shelves. A giant attacked and was quickly dispatched of gaining our fort a beautiful bronze battle axe with rubies and elephant bone - no papaya wood bracelet but in the vault it goes; here we use steel. Speaking of which, all forges, smelters, kilns, and glass furnaces have been relocated many levels below to just above the magma layer. It is a long trip down from the relatively surface-oriented floors of the foot so down there is shaping up a mini colony of its own with, of course, the furnace operator guildhall, two taverns, a small library, and our usually-empty jail. While residents rarely enter into such savageries as days past, events do still occur every now and then but jail is so primitive when there is a perfectly good process of physical and spiritual re-formulation. Who was once a criminal, is now a Pale Hunter. Goblin attacks have been beginning with increasing frequency. The first two were quickly repelled by Ducim-led militia squads but the third was rather devastating to our large stock of swine, cattle, and reindeer so in retaliation, raids have been launched on surrounding goblin settlements and a necromancer tower for good measure. We have been rewarded with many beak-dogs and even a very special book from the local tower that has proved to be a regular best seller but finally the day comes when a huge siege arrives. Goblins, dwarven recruits, trolls, and beak dogs. There must have been 60+ belligerents. Alarm bells sound. Bridges are drawn. The militia is stationed outside the doors of the crimson, cinnabar tower that marks the grand staircase down into our world ,in the wind and rain, while the rest of the citizens hastily hurry down to the dark warm depths. The battle is immense. An entire squad is wiped out completely. Archers go through all of their bolts and the forward guard, led by Ducim, tears through the remaining enemies with ferocious passion. The dwarves are now green exclamation marks, pulsing through piles of limbs and beaks. All around are steel weapons and custard apple cider filled flasks but finally, it is done. There are 8 survivor militia dwarves. Ducim is badly injured and is taken to the hospital where he promptly dies along side several others...a small animal pen zone is created right there in the hospital. The "special" militia squad that does not see the same sort of action as the others arrives and a certain spider is assigned to the pen. The ritual begins. There are 15 surviving militia dwarves, Ducim among them. He is badly injured and must, for now, crawl but he will make it. All peacocks are slaughtered and a lavish feast is prepared for all those who still eat in celebration of the victory. The grand hall is given a new series of engravings to commemorate the mark of a new chapter for the fortress.

254-255
(In progress) Most are recovered from the fight and new dwarves have filled in the ranks of the military that were emptied. Oddly, several of those most exotic survivors of The Burning Assault of 254 have already applied for citizenship again and Ducim once again finds himself heading the militia. Yet fortune is a fickle mistress and as soon as the newest recruits are no longer recruits a massive shadow covers the paper mill on the river. An immense flapping is felt all around and for a second it is as if the entire world and ground as a heart that is beating. But alas, "Tusnung Sizzlefortunes the Wealth of Silver" the Dragon has arrived. The weary alarm bells sound. The green soldiers led by their crawling, stitched, literally fearless leader reach the surface together and charge at the great beast that crossed all of times to be here. The air is rended by a blast of flame that instantly takes out several soldiers. The fighting drives the serpent back, each few tiles costing a dwarf, until - miraculously - the battle ends up descending the staircase of a mine shaft to a tight corridor. Many are killed but crawling from behind is Ducim who slashes with his steel axe and bites with gravestone teeth. With barely 20% of the militia remaining, the dragon falls. Ducim has felled it and with this stroke, adding one more kill to 24 notable and over 60 others, earns himself a new name to match his new, cold flesh: Slayer. We will be dining on dragon flesh tonight.

https://ibb.co/1z2L0h0
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:27:23 pm by okelly4408 »

Juxtapoisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56855 on: October 14, 2022, 04:34:54 pm »

Fort is about 15 years old, 200 dwarves. Volcano embark.
Mostly everything is stable.
Flooded a large area in a lower level to move my farming to. This will be better organized and closer to the kitchens and other plant processing. 
The old farms are getting lost in a 3 Z level deep channeling of the surface for a lava moat / killing zone / obsidian farm. This has proceeded with out due caution. Close to 10 miners have died, that reminds me I need more coffins. But one of them was already using a crutch. At least 4 of those deaths were due to the miners falling with collapsing levels through a floor level and into an area below that was previously dug out and now full of water from an aquifer.
Putting the various control levers in the tavern has been far more reliable than having them in the dining hall.
Having all the doors in green glass has really helped me be able to visually process things better.
Thought I was going to breed gorillas, but a loose beakdog killed the female before she produced offspring. Have since been at war with elvs.
Had someone's bedroom engraved. But I don't recall what she did that so impressed me.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56856 on: October 14, 2022, 04:48:49 pm »

Close to 10 miners have died, that reminds me I need more coffins.

this is a feedback metric I'm sure we're all familiar with. .

okelly4408

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56857 on: October 15, 2022, 02:04:08 am »

Year 255:

With the new year came a first for me: a new age. I've never actually seen this occur but it was undoubtedly caused by the death of Sizzlefortunes the dragon, who I believe was the only dragon in the world. I had set up numerous cage traps on the map perimeter but unfortunately Sizzlefortunes missed one by a narrow margin. Oh well. One pleasing finding is that the game is surprisingly stable for me. I have never used Lazy Mac Pac before and on previous play throughs I would frequently encounter game-ending crashes but the fortress is still young...

The population has been exploding and hiding among these newcomers is a bloodsucker. There have been two deaths so far and eventually I tracked down the culprit to be the hammerer of the fortress. In retrospect, his constant engraving dealing with topics like resurrections from the dead and historical events dealing with other vampires make a lot of sense...Yet, even with him locked away in a small temple to his favorite deity, a blood-letting still occurred. I think I will let this one be for now; for some reason, the idea of an equitable and fair death lottery to keep the population down is appealing.

Goblin sieges are becoming larger and larger. I am lucky if half my militia dwarves survive a given battle as  there is no time to adequately prepare new recruits in time The last was especially brutal with at least a dozen trolls. Many were killed but this allowed me to fully utilize the secret chamber under the hospital:

Fairly standard necromancer set-up. I stocked the barred-in cell to the east by setting up coffins with bits and pieces of completely shredded dwarf recruits, deconstructed the coffins, built the bars, built the bridge, stationed the Special militia unit down there, then set free a cage caved spider. Luckily a head and a torso re-animated to hostile undead on the first try. The bridge allows dwarves to freely construct coffins down here that are then assigned to whomever have been freshly killed on the battle field without them losing their gourds. In addition, I'm in the process of getting a slightly fancier conveyor-belt-drowning-chamber working for on-demand zombification. The chamber to the north is fed by a river channel that when a dwarf is positioned just correctly, they sometimes fall into it. Then, a lever is used to seal it off and once the dwarf is dead, the bridge blocking the water is opened causing it fall through the grates and allowing visibility of a completely unmarred corpse for the necromancers to get to work on. A bit tricky to get a dwarf in there but I've had success already. The chamber is appropriately engraved with ghastly depictions of dark events and houses statues to the deities of death, rebirth, and death & rebirth...you know, for atmosphere.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56858 on: October 19, 2022, 09:16:54 pm »

Gray langurs took some of my shields.  Dwarfs went out with spears and shields to deal with them.  Langur is now on the menu.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56859 on: October 23, 2022, 10:44:13 am »

A 3 eyed serpent with a trunk arrived in the caverns involving 32 giant war bobcats and their assigned dwarf lasher.  She dodged a lot, lashing the beast, but it was very tough.  A lash to the center eye only bruised the eyelid.  A bite to her lower body was blocked by the steel breastplate, but the subsequent shaking spilled her guts.  Before dying, she managed 2 more lashes with her artifact copper whip, tearing both the upper and middle spine's nervous tissue.  Unfortunately, this did little to diminish the beast's combat effectiveness, as it proceeded to bit off heads and shake bobcats into pieces for the next 5 pages of combat logs before finally bleeding out.  Definitely 1 of the more fierce forgotten beasts I've seen.  I counted about 19 bobcat corpses in the aftermath, but it's hard to say for sure how many were lost. 

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56860 on: October 23, 2022, 06:00:53 pm »

Had just about played out the candy spire I had, and was starting the arduous process of starting an obsidian farm, when I suddenly found ANOTHER spire.  I got overly enthusiastic and when I was being concerned about whether the other side might have the clown hive on it, failed to consider the obvious fact that instead, it had an ocean of magma on the other side.  Which was clearly visible.  Which makes me clearly stupid.  DUUUUH.

And then I simultaneously decided it would be a good idea, while already being flooded by magma, to go fight some weird humanoid FB made out of glass that also breathed dust with a syndrome that apparently just causes anything even slightly encountering it to rot to death.

So I have a lot of candy and a lot of dwarves dying while bringing it up to the surface.

Also despite my insanely idiotic foreign policy we're the Mountainhomes.  I've just automatically allowed even the weirdest and sketchiest immigrants to waltz in and become citizens, and many of them are spies or on missions to steal artifacts, which continually disappear as a result, but that at least gives me opportunities to send missions out to retrieve them.  I even actually had some audacious bastard demand an artifact I had, that I didn't even know I had, and when looking into legends, it was possessed by a dude who'd showed up to steal an artifact from me who already had a stolen artifact from a friendly civilization, and that was where the guy asking for it came from, so I just actually gave it to him.

And then killed the guy who had it, after framing him for some unsolved crime years before he even showed up.

UristTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56861 on: October 26, 2022, 09:51:49 am »

I had successfully turned my fort into a necromancer fortress by raiding a necromancer tower and placing the forbidden books into my library. Unfortunately, my FPS had eventually died

Kasmodahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56862 on: October 26, 2022, 10:07:13 am »

don't worry, your necromancers will resurrect them... they might try to kill you then though :p

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56863 on: October 31, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »

In my tiny world we just entered The Age of Goblin. I've been pragmatically exterminating goblin settlements via raids but now I've found the cause, a 10 thousand goblin settlement not far away. Can 30 legendary-steel clad dwarves sistematically butcher 10 thousand goblins to the death? We'll find out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56864 on: October 31, 2022, 03:38:26 pm »

In my tiny world we just entered The Age of Goblin. I've been pragmatically exterminating goblin settlements via raids but now I've found the cause, a 10 thousand goblin settlement not far away. Can 30 legendary-steel clad dwarves sistematically butcher 10 thousand goblins to the death? We'll find out.
Yes, but it might take a few dozen raids to chew through that many goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 3789 3790 [3791] 3792 3793 ... 3836