Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3796 3797 [3798] 3799 3800 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853567 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56955 on: December 11, 2022, 01:31:36 pm »

One year in:  The nice new sprites mislead me into believing it would be safe to allow free access to the surface.  After chasing off a moose and some giant badgers, all 3 squad members have fallen to agitated giant ravens.  One of which got inside the fort, killing the chief medical dwarf.  Most other dwarves are injured from the constant scuffling and lay dehydrating on the hospital floor.  A light aquifer was dug through to the caverns.  It currently mists the new underground alpaca pasture that has been walled off from the rest of the combined top 2 cavern levels.  Except for the northeast half of it, which is open to the cavern lake.  The surface has been lost, and access denied by locked hatches on top of the central stairway.  Also, still haven't figured out how to make the well count as a water source, so the dwarves only have water laced with mud for cleaning. 

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56956 on: December 11, 2022, 02:37:01 pm »

savage biomes are pretty savage in v50. giant ravens, giant mosquitos, giant squirrels, giant sparrows. they've all been chipping away at my fort but the mountainhomes have declared us a barony and immigrants keep showing up to get torn apart by the agitated wildlife. it doesn't help that mountain biome on the south half of my map seems to be an evil-undead biome. in the future i'll be treating high savagery more like i used to treat evil biomes in the past: everyone in the militia with at least some armor and locking down the fort from the outside. i just wish the burrow system wasn't so clunky these days
Foldedlens -- 1004

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56957 on: December 11, 2022, 04:25:57 pm »

Currently running a bucket brigade to haul water from the distant aquifer to a closer cistern.

I've had to restart plenty of times because kept screwing up the initial setup.  :P Doesn't help that I embark with colored stones a for a temple mini-project.

Savage biomes have changed, man. Can't keep anything outside. Everything's getting agitated. Not even stolendonated unicorns are safe.

On top of that, necro siege as I write this.

I really wish the soundtrack played more often; they're such bangers! I'm so tired of the howling wind. :'(
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56958 on: December 11, 2022, 06:02:05 pm »

Heh, discovered today I can check what a Strange Mood dwarf wants in advance by clicking his magnifying glass after he announces his mood (before he ever gets round to claiming a workshop).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56959 on: December 11, 2022, 06:26:58 pm »

Savage biomes have changed, man. Can't keep anything outside. Everything's getting agitated. Not even stolendonated unicorns are safe.
Wait, even your own animals become agitated?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56960 on: December 11, 2022, 08:31:35 pm »

Wait, even your own animals become agitated?
*Safe from other agitated animals. Sacred unicorns and all that.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56961 on: December 12, 2022, 01:12:00 am »

Never got any migrants past the initial two waves, so I'm probably stuck with these 18 duders.  It's been 2-3 years.

Got a waterfall working in the new meeting hall, converted the old one into a general-use temple.  Dorfs now spend more time in temple than the funny misty hall I worked hard on of course.

Human traders showed up, was tempted to buy their whips, and a caged capybara.  Got more picks, cloth and leather bins, and cheese.

Built an inn above my fort on the surface, maybe it'll attract permanent residents since migrants aren't real.  General constructions (like basic walls and floors) are a pain in the ass in Steam as you need to click one morbillion times to designate a block for every wall/floor tile.  At least let me hold shift to choose 10 or something.

No sign of goblins or anything actually dangerous yet.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56962 on: December 12, 2022, 01:33:32 am »

Never got any migrants past the initial two waves, so I'm probably stuck with these 18 duders.  It's been 2-3 years.

Got a waterfall working in the new meeting hall, converted the old one into a general-use temple.  Dorfs now spend more time in temple than the funny misty hall I worked hard on of course.

Human traders showed up, was tempted to buy their whips, and a caged capybara.  Got more picks, cloth and leather bins, and cheese.

Built an inn above my fort on the surface, maybe it'll attract permanent residents since migrants aren't real.  General constructions (like basic walls and floors) are a pain in the ass in Steam as you need to click one morbillion times to designate a block for every wall/floor tile.  At least let me hold shift to choose 10 or something.

With 18 dwarves you won't hit goblin attack triggers. Send a raid of your own and they'll happily ignore your safety triggers and come kill you.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56963 on: December 12, 2022, 08:58:50 am »

A wasting corpse visited my fortress. That is to say, an undead human crossbowwoman named Udal Curotosi (Ringrace) showed up.

According to Legends mode, she spent her living days as an unremarkable soldier and monster hunter, occasionally being a fisher or herbalist, married a somewhat renowned author who went on to become a baron after they divorced, then got into less interesting romances three times later
At the age of fifty, she got into a fight with a minotaur and survived unscathed.
At the age of one hundred, this woman went out to kill a night creature's consort listed as her sole kill.
And at the age of one hundred and eight, she picked a losing fight with a giant.
The giant seems to have been mostly a petty thief and vandal, as far as giant-scale crimes can be called such.
152 years after her death, a passing necromancer brought her back to (un-)life, in whose service she now is. That necromancer is not exactly the brightest, apparently, because he sent her to arrange a coup in my fortress and steal artifacts, but all her character traits suggest she's useless at subterfuge or deception.
She's dutiful but can't handle the pressure of it. She loves making friends but is quick to pick fights with people too. She doesn't envy others and can empathize with their worries. Loves art but sucks at making it.
And the entire time she was in my fortress, she was in my tavern, presumably partaking of dwarven wines and meals instead of actually engaging in the kind of villainous skulduggery that she was sent to do. She came and went and did nothing of note whatsoever. I do hope it stays that way; just go and enjoy your second lease on life, Udal.

I know it's nothing special as far as visitors are concerned, but it struck me again just how colorful the lives of random passers-by can be in Dwarf Fortress.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56964 on: December 12, 2022, 02:49:14 pm »

Keep watching.  I had this same situation for 2.5 years, and then suddenly a wave of 33 migrants showed up and totally swamped my fort.  Once word got out that I actually had money, they started coming from all over and now I have a 154-dorf metropolis with hot and cold running forgotten beasts (literally - blob of ice and fire-breathing leech on second cavern layer).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56965 on: December 12, 2022, 02:56:42 pm »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56966 on: December 12, 2022, 03:01:27 pm »

How I imagine DF nobles would sound like IRL.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56967 on: December 12, 2022, 04:15:24 pm »

A wasting corpse visited my fortress. That is to say, an undead human crossbowwoman named Udal Curotosi (Ringrace) showed up.

You were visited by a Dark Souls character.

Keep watching.  I had this same situation for 2.5 years, and then suddenly a wave of 33 migrants showed up and totally swamped my fort.  Once word got out that I actually had money, they started coming from all over and now I have a 154-dorf metropolis with hot and cold running forgotten beasts (literally - blob of ice and fire-breathing leech on second cavern layer).

It's what I'm figuring.  Outside of a morbillion turtleshell crafts I don't have a whole lotta wealth generated.  I have bit. coal but no ore.  Could do clay stuff.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56968 on: December 13, 2022, 01:27:19 pm »

After much blood, sweat, and tears we have finally secured the first cavern layer. At first it was pretty safe but then antmen started attacking, climaxing with a three squad attack (a crash gave me a glimpse at the Darkest Timeline, where all three reached the stairs undetected and destroyed my military to the last dwarf). Was absolutely not prepared for the animal men onslaught, some of those guys were carrying steel.

We also hit two important milestones in one stroke: First entirely preventable death of a miner and first entirely preventable magma death as a cave-in caused by forgetting to channel out a floor chucked Urist McMiner into the volcano. Next up, erecting a monument for our first geonaut.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56969 on: December 13, 2022, 06:46:23 pm »

Keas keep stealing honey comb out of my beehives.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:53:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 3796 3797 [3798] 3799 3800 ... 3836