Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3797 3798 [3799] 3800 3801 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851749 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56970 on: December 13, 2022, 07:03:26 pm »

I think my bootstrap fortress is ready to start work on the main fortress. The dwarves have dug an internal access shaft, down past a deep conglomerate aquifer. I cannot be certain if they have dug deep enough to avoid having the aquifer interfere with the plans—I don't trust the aquifer to be level—but I have given the fortress a bigger buffer than I normally do.

Unfortunately, this may put the fort too close to the first cavern. I estimate I have at most 10 z-levels of clearance, of which five are reserved for moats, drop-phasing protection, and maintenance access.

So five z-levels total for the actual fort is what I expect to get. Not good for when I wanted a more vertical design. But it's either that or building above the aquifer in a mudstone mountain.

And fuck mudstone.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56971 on: December 14, 2022, 02:15:41 am »

total death spiral from a werezebra incursion. a child in the public tavern kicked it all off. i thought i had everything contained after the first bloody couple months. but i ran into a bug where dwarves in the hospital will transform into a werebeast, get completely healed, and then when they transform back they put themselves right back into a hospital bed waiting for treatment

my plan was to take the last werezebra out to the frozen brook with a single-tile burrow and drop him into the ice, but he just laid in bed "resting" for another month, before kicking off another rampage and round of infections. took a fort that was pushing a 100 citizens down to 15, most of them now just guests or non-dorf residents

one of the survivors is the militia commander. he's also the last werezebra in the fort and he's learned to carry his weapons when he transforms. there's basically no way to stop him. he rampages up from the depths once a month to tear up any new guests in the tavern. then when he transforms back, he locks himself in the stoneworker's shop and makes some headway on the dozens of chert coffins in the backlog

it's brutal and i'm retiring the fort as-is
Foldedlens -- 1004

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #56972 on: December 14, 2022, 11:57:25 am »

Couldn't you just wall them off?

Silentsigil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56973 on: December 14, 2022, 12:01:59 pm »

I started a fort on the Steam version. From what I saw choosing my embark location:

The elves and goblins were at war

The humans, dwarves, and goblins were at war with each other in a weird triangle

So I figure I'll probably die pretty quickly before I figure out how the military works, whatever.

The embark is pretty chill, a river running down a mountain, lots of fruit for booze everywhere. Free 10z level or so waterfall.

I make storage, dig down a level, make some rooms and such, and then I see I can make a tavern/inn. I put it next to the waterfall and trick it out with statues and such. I activate it so my dorfs have a nice place to eat.

Suddenly I get human swordsmen, elven bards, and some goblins consortess 'visiting' the fort and panic, thinking things are about to get violent. They all just get drunk and party. Then they invite their friends.

I'm getting 20+ petitions a month from people asking to move into the fort as 'entertainers'. I needed some people initially, as I was around 30 dwarves, so I just started clicking 'yes' not thinking about it.

I now have 130 people in the fort, very few of which are dwarves, and they are drinking an admirable amount of my booze (for non-dorf livered creatures) and not doing anything but partying and reading all day.

I was just attacked by a plains titan (some gelatinous tentacled monstrosity) and panicked again, as I hadn't even opened the military tab at all, busy trying to mass produce beds for drunk goblins.

It ate two dwarves and a bunch of angry, drunk human soldiers, elf nerds, and goblins rushed up 3 z levels and apparently just deleted it. I can't find any combat logs saying it died, but it is no longer present that I can see.

Apparently I don't need a military after all, so long as I keep the booze flowing...

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56974 on: December 14, 2022, 05:36:18 pm »

Couldn't you just wall them off?

yes, and i did, but my hubris said i could change stop them
Foldedlens -- 1004

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56975 on: December 14, 2022, 06:21:48 pm »

Initial probing of the main floor of the east wing of the main fortress appears to be a success. The aquifer has not been breached, especially in the temple.

That's good news, as the design of the east wing is the most stringent of the two wings. Now I don't know how much of a margin the fort has until I probably dig the water pipelines, so I won't bet on digging rooms above the main floor just yet. It must be close to the aquifer, though, based on the dripping sound effect.

Clearance to the first cavern is still up in the air.

In other news, it appears we're going to have a very gneiss diorite main floor. Some morion clusters in the temple will have to become part of the wall decor, I suppose, unless I can muster the courage for block walls. At least the pillars are pure non-economic rock.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56976 on: December 15, 2022, 09:09:50 am »

First Steam fort is absolute mayhem.

First problem is I don't understand the controlls so well, and stuff I rely on doesn't work as they used to any more, for instance burrows. When I get invaded, the people outside just have to run for it on their own :) And I miss announcements and keep finding dead people lying around. The invasions came so fast I wasn't set up, so I had to hole in, and was down to people dying from lack of booze that for some reason didn't get brewed and butchering puppies to save as many lives as I can.

Second problem is starting from year 2 I get invaded by undead every year. Also got a weremammoth in year 2, so it's quite hostile.

Third problem is I only got migrants the first year, IDK why they stopped coming. I'm thinking because of the extreme level of mortality?

So there has been a LOT of dying. Year 3 I was down to just 3 citizens - and 60 entertainers with long time residence. So I can't even make squads, because I don't have dwarves to spare.

Anyway, here in year 4 I have a population of 100. 3 dwarves, 3 mercenaries and 94 poets, bards and dancers.

The poets finally they're starting to apply for citizenship, so I get people I can put in squads and the guy that was expedition leader, manager, broker and bookkeeper can get some respite :)

I also used to put skilled dwarf to do what I can do. This fort is like "OK so you can dance, and you can sing? Sorry didn't catch your names, but anyway you on the left is bookkeeper and you on the right joins the squad of melee dwarves."

It's quite different from my former forts that were terrorizing goblins on the continent with 100 steel-clad legendary soldiers living in a fort with all furniture made of gold haha. This is FUN!

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56977 on: December 15, 2022, 11:33:42 am »

Everything going fine, fort has basically come together we're all set. A bunch of grey langurs showed up and made a nuisance of themselves until they ran into a couple visiting adventurers.

Then I checked the unit screen to see if there were any langurs left alive... there are not, but there is one still moving out there. I'm not in an evil biome, and no open necromancers are present so now I am *intensely* paranoid. I do not want to play "where's the necromancer!"

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56978 on: December 15, 2022, 02:42:04 pm »

Oh nice, my account still works, haven't logged in in a decade

Wanted to breach the funhouse for an invasion in the steam version, after a lot of pain digging my way through and finally breaching it, they're just not invading.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56979 on: December 15, 2022, 03:16:34 pm »

The hidden fun stuff has changed somewhat in the new version.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56980 on: December 15, 2022, 03:31:13 pm »

I've definitely seen the clowns go clowning though so not sure what's up there. There are certainly a handful of bugs running around and new behaviors so any number of things might be up.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56981 on: December 15, 2022, 03:39:38 pm »

One of my first migrants was a legendary doctor, so I decided my current fort is going to focus around a giant hospital, renowned through the land. We guarantee all visitors will walk out, no matter how severe their injuries!

The doctor is a necromancer. This may have some relevance idk.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #56982 on: December 15, 2022, 03:53:22 pm »

Sounds like a very skilled doctor indeed!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56983 on: December 15, 2022, 03:56:41 pm »

Sounds like a very skilled doctor indeed!

I'm resisting being him Frankenstein because it's not dwarfy enough but it's hard.

Once I build this monstrosity I would like to steal all the necromantic secrets in the world
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56984 on: December 15, 2022, 08:22:36 pm »

Necromancers have mental adjustments from their secrets, making them more paranoid. I wonder, does it stack if the necromancer has multiple secrets?
Pages: 1 ... 3797 3798 [3799] 3800 3801 ... 3836