Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3805 3806 [3807] 3808 3809 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854729 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57090 on: January 07, 2023, 04:06:36 am »

It's fun to watch:
15 constructing buildings
28 digging channels
16 drinking
6 eating
142 gathering plants
35 individual combat drills
19 in combat demonstrations
11 sparring
6 picking up equipment
6 playing, 4 play with toy, 4 play make believe
7 playing instruments
3 preparing meals
2 returning with kills
2 hunting
27 sleeping
10 storing items in bins
2 singing
1 telling a story
10~ praying
2 leading stray animals
3 making crafts
7 no jobs
This was right after designating a large area to gather plants. I love big forts!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:09:46 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57091 on: January 07, 2023, 01:19:13 pm »

The Planning Bureau for Human Rights has noted that you are spoiling your dwarves with 3x3 rooms. Please undo this work of evil, before my dwarves start thinking they are entitled to a similar sized room. That would just be too cruel.
Quote from: Convention Relating to the Status of Sanitation
Dwarves get two cabinets, with room to expand.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57092 on: January 07, 2023, 01:27:13 pm »

Had to give up on my fort. The caravans started bugging out and claiming that they had totally arrived I swear, but not actually entering the map (searching stocks for their goods - like 'large' items with the Humans - took me to a tile right at the edge of the map). Then a siege bugged out with one of the snatchers getting stuck somewhere, and my attempts to find it inadvertently killed the two agitated animals that were stuck in trees*, so now I'm in a permanent siege with no caravans and constant attacks by Agitated Giant Critters :(

*An Axe Lord ran something like three screens away from his assigned station and climbed the tree to get to one of them

The Planning Bureau for Human Rights has noted that you are spoiling your dwarves with 3x3 rooms. Please undo this work of evil, before my dwarves start thinking they are entitled to a similar sized room. That would just be too cruel.
I give 'em 3x1 with a bed, chest, and cabinet. I even give them more privacy than those 3x3s, with all of them getting their own door to that z-level's main hallway.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57093 on: January 07, 2023, 07:56:38 pm »

I set the worldgen to run for 2023 years, and the entire world got taken over by necromancers.

The entire world? No! One dwarven civ consisting of 82 members managed to found a fort in the only remaining non-evil biome. Welcome to Abbeypillars.

And when I made them open a tavern, they promptly named it The Armored Nuts. It's got visitors such as rotting kobold corpses and goblin hammermen, and also it's named The Armored Nuts.

The stuff the traders bring in gives me some idea of what a post-apocalyptic nightmare it is out there. There's bags made of undead abomination leather and tanned demon hides. One of our statues is of a cave fish woman necromancer. A neighboring site is a dwarf forest retreat.

And something about a pub called Balls of Steel just feels so right in all this madness. One buoy of sanity in a broken world where only the toughest survive.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57094 on: January 08, 2023, 02:32:22 pm »

It was harvest season and all my dwarves ran out the fortress to harvest from the nearby pear tree, as apparently it is a ridiculously important job. Right at that moment a weregilla monster shows up between the fortress and the tree. Out of the 41 dwarves in my fortress, 32 were involved in the fight. one of them died right away, dozens are hurt.

This means I have to either check several hundreds of pages of combat log for who was bitten, but I think I'll rather just wait a month and see the fortress burn to the ground instead.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57095 on: January 08, 2023, 02:50:24 pm »

Wouldn't making 32 lockable burrows before next full moon be less work than reading through the combat logs?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57096 on: January 08, 2023, 03:07:24 pm »

It was harvest season and all my dwarves ran out the fortress to harvest from the nearby pear tree, as apparently it is a ridiculously important job. Right at that moment a weregilla monster shows up between the fortress and the tree. Out of the 41 dwarves in my fortress, 32 were involved in the fight. one of them died right away, dozens are hurt.

This means I have to either check several hundreds of pages of combat log for who was bitten, but I think I'll rather just wait a month and see the fortress burn to the ground instead.

considering how un-improved (or regressive) the new combat log UI is, i cringe in sympathy

what I do is mass-imprison anyone with the same job title as the one listed as 'bitten', which does save some time... we lose a few of the innocents but the fortress is saved.

you can try to expel them too but the same issue arises where we aren't paid enough to dig through thirty pages of combat log.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57097 on: January 08, 2023, 03:26:30 pm »

Wouldn't making 32 lockable burrows before next full moon be less work than reading through the combat logs?

If civilians respected burrows in this version, I would not be in this situation :-). It seems everyone just preferred to pile on the werecreature instead of retreating to the burrow I had set. The fortress has died, 14 infected apparently. Will start a new game with some new mods.

BeefotronX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57098 on: January 08, 2023, 09:26:07 pm »

First fort to be played through to the end in the premium edition.
Taperlashes hit a population of 110 before the undead legion invaded. Unfortunately I had just gotten through a mass culling of cave pests and several of my fighters were still nursing elk bird wounds when the attack came.

One lone survivor retreated into the woods and survived for a few months before succumbing to starvation.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57099 on: January 09, 2023, 01:28:36 am »

I am on year four or so. I have exported an absolute shitload of wealth. And yet, no goblins. I am seriously convinced that goblins don't exist in this world which if true is an absolute heartbreaker. I have two squads up and training and nothing to sic them on besides random animals. Of course the first fort I make after like seven years away from the game has no goblins lmao

Elves also don't exist in this world, or if they do, not a single civ has decided to visit my fortress. Probably got horrified by my nigh-endless clearcutting.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. I literally just got a siege!!!

EDIT2: Damn my military just obliterated those goblins, though some took serious damage >.> Gonna need to set up a hospital and fast
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:33:28 am by YashaAstora »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #57100 on: January 09, 2023, 02:30:27 am »

Wanted to change fortress for a while, but embarking crashes when I try to reimbark, and I really wanted to keep the world (as we were expert unicorn trainers)
:(
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57101 on: January 09, 2023, 02:34:42 am »

Ah shit.

I forgot that wounded dwarves only drink water for some reason. I have no well. My biome freezes in the winter and it's AUGUST. My wounded dwarves are boned. I have literally no way of getting water for like SIX MONTHS.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57102 on: January 09, 2023, 04:19:17 am »

Have you opened the cavern layers to look for water down there?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57103 on: January 09, 2023, 04:23:33 am »

Not yet. My embark is way the hell up on a mountain and like 170+ z-levels and I'm on like level 2. I'd have to dig absurdly far down to get to the caverns, but if I have to I will, I guess.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57104 on: January 09, 2023, 12:02:36 pm »

So a few days ago, I already mentioned that a monster hunter that I had expelled, had returned, now a full citizen.

I was not completely right. He did return. He did lose his monster hunter status, gain legendary animal dissector skill and can be assigned jobs. But he is still a visitor. A visitor that is neither a monster hunter, neither a performer, neither a scholar.

Just noticed that when trying to assign him to a military squad, he's not in the list.
I must have skim-read his citizenship too fast. He's a citizen of the Relic of Dyes.
My fort's citizens are citizens of the Natural Dye. Oops, minor detail haha.

He's still red-face unhappy (yellow letters stressed) and better armoured than the rest of my dwarves (he lost his axe while he was away but retained his full set of armour and shield). I might need to expel him again if I can't get him happier quick. Not sure how though, he is somewhat focussed with satisfied needs.
The only unhappy memories in the recent past are lonely from being away from family, and not praying to his single deity.
The latter should be no problem, but he rather hauls stuff than go pray in the temple apparently.
He has a memory of being angry at being expelled, but that's a year-old memory.

EDIT: Turning off his labours made him not go pray, but go socialize in the tavern.
I managed to get him to pray by letting him smooth some floor in the temple. Being in the temple appeared to have been nescessary to trigger his praying job....

Grrrrr. He went for a drink before satisfying the prayer need and is back to socializing.

EDIT: Smoothing to praying again. Again, not managed to fullfill the praying need. He's heading to attend meeting.
However, during prayer/meditation he did gain the slow to anger trait and the disdain independence value!
Quote from: overview screen
He was accepting remembering being expelled, and mulling over the recurring memory allowed him to rethink his intellectual values and changed his personal tendencies

Also, I don't understand happiness. One and the same dwarf. In the Unit screen, he is redface unhappy.
Overview screen, "I feel so good!".

Uhhhh...?

EDIT: thank heavens, I managed to get him to fulfill the prayer need before running out of smoothable tiles in my temple.
Still redface unhappy though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:55:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3805 3806 [3807] 3808 3809 ... 3836