Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3812 3813 [3814] 3815 3816 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787125 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57195 on: March 09, 2023, 10:46:10 pm »

Population hit 457 dwarves & humans and 349 livestock.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57196 on: March 10, 2023, 12:20:26 am »

in my drow city, a citizen who is frequently depressed and starts fistfights, fell in love with and married the law officer who repeatedly arrested her.

maybe this will improve her mood.
Nothing like a little domestic violence to spice up a drow's life.

Reminds of the time when I got excited after I got my first same sex couple in a fort. Turns out the other guy beat his husband always when there was nobody around. After being incarcerated he'd go immediately looking for his spouse, beat them up again and end in prison. This went on and on until he managed to punch his husband too hard leading to death. This made him go melancholic and eventually he too died.

Was a bit too harrowing and real for me, so I quit that fort as a result.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57197 on: March 10, 2023, 01:08:11 pm »

Ive never seen domestic abuse in DF before. And its not like it's intentionally programmed in there either. That's weird to have a tantrumming dwarf target the same individual over and over again tbh. Usually they beat up random people in the tavern or animals in the halls
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57198 on: March 11, 2023, 12:27:13 am »

Yeah, it's been pretty much the only time I've seen it happen. There was plenty of other options for the tantruming dwarf, but for some reason he chose to find his spouse and beat him up. Toppling bookcases and workshops was something he did when others were around, but the beatings happened without witnesses (and if I recall correctly, his spouse didn't report it to the sheriff, but maybe my memory is doing tricks there since it's been quite some time).

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57199 on: March 11, 2023, 06:49:16 am »

Turns out the other guy beat his husband always when there was nobody around. After being incarcerated he'd go immediately looking for his spouse, beat them up again and end in prison. This went on and on until he managed to punch his husband too hard leading to death. This made him go melancholic and eventually he too died.

Whoa, that's grim !

That's weird to have a tantrumming dwarf target the same individual over and over again tbh.

Maybe as well as being spouses they had a grudge ? don't grudges cause dwarfs to target specific individuals ?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57200 on: March 17, 2023, 10:56:56 pm »

Finally dived into the Steam version....doing somewhat well.   Exploring the UI and it isn't too bad.  But when I ask the populace to make four statues two of them turn out normal and two....well...

Why are my Dwarfs always so weird?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57201 on: March 19, 2023, 02:56:04 am »

A lot of weird stuff. We somehow managed to trap a ghost in a cage trap? IDK, but it let me put it on a chain the tavern.
Opened up a cryptozoology museum and pub.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, still experimenting with macabre moods. Was puzzled as to why my cats weren't able to catch/kill any fairies for me to harvest for their remains to be used in artifacts. Made a ton of animal traps, and had people catching live animals 24/7 until we caught a fairy. Figured out by accident that you can kill any vermin by placing a live small animal (vermin) on a pedestal, and then remove the pedestal, which will cause the remains to be left behind. I guess you can say that the fairy has "art flying." Anyway, we produced a fairy bone amulet, and a fluffy warbler fluff earring.

Also, working the Future of Fortress Security™
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 03:01:16 am by dikbutdagrate »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57202 on: March 19, 2023, 03:33:24 am »

wait, you can put vermin on a pedestal? Like, without a cage? And theyll just stay there?

This seems exploitable. Maybe you can stuff a bunch of a dwarf's hated vermin on pedestals in their room and make them tantrum about seeing them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57203 on: March 19, 2023, 04:21:32 am »

Figured out by accident that you can kill any vermin by placing a live small animal (vermin) on a pedestal, and then remove the pedestal, which will cause the remains to be left behind.

Huh. I'll try this out and see if it'll be a way to get rid of unwanted (tame) vermin. Those bastards are invulnerable to the might of the atom smasher.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57204 on: March 19, 2023, 12:56:59 pm »

A fairy bone amulet? Legendary.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57205 on: March 19, 2023, 01:30:58 pm »

wait, you can put vermin on a pedestal? Like, without a cage? And theyll just stay there?

This seems exploitable. Maybe you can stuff a bunch of a dwarf's hated vermin on pedestals in their room and make them tantrum about seeing them.

I'm surprised this was your initial response to reading this, lol. But yeah, if you're trying to increase macabre and fell mood proc in your fort, unhappiness optimization calls for this sort of thing. I feel terrible lining the walls of my tavern with stuff the dwarfs have a phobia of, but you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57206 on: March 21, 2023, 04:55:10 pm »

Just had someone show up go to my tavern then leave instantly. I thought it was odd then got the popup telling me one of my artifacts had been stolen :/

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57207 on: March 21, 2023, 08:16:56 pm »

Turns out the code for gender in the Steam game is the same as the non-steam game.  So I made non-gender dwarfs in the Steam game.  Fun fact - dwarfs without gender don't have a face.  Oh the horror!   :'(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57208 on: March 21, 2023, 10:03:31 pm »

I run into that issue too when modifying dwarves directly. Add new skeleton/joint body parts, or change body structure at all, dwarves become invisible. Giving them an interaction is fine, but changing body structure causes their graphics to glitch. Clothes and hair still show up, but the body base layer is gone.

Although your specific issue now that I think about it is probably because you didn't define graphics for the new caste. Males and females each have separate graphics, your new caste will need those too.
I make Spellcrafts!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57209 on: March 22, 2023, 08:19:27 pm »

Although your specific issue now that I think about it is probably because you didn't define graphics for the new caste. Males and females each have separate graphics, your new caste will need those too.

True.   I wonder how I would do that....
Pages: 1 ... 3812 3813 [3814] 3815 3816 ... 3835