Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3813 3814 [3815] 3816 3817 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786963 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57210 on: March 23, 2023, 10:11:56 am »

Second world, second Fortress with Steam.  Lasted one year so far.  Most likely because it is on an island.  So only had to deal with primates, rattlesnakes, a salt water ocean, and a light aquifer.   And slowly learning the UI.  Still having some issues.  Not sure how to train animals in this version.  But they finally collected some eggs from the Hen Pen.  Even though the doors are locked.... :-\

On the other hand the graphics are pretty good.  It is nice to tell, at a glance, when somebody is armed and ready to fight.  Or carrying a pick.  It kind of helps.  And the pigs look like pigs.   Though I miss the little Ps running around.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57211 on: March 24, 2023, 06:54:42 am »

Is there any possibility of an oldschool UI version? I know it was often unintuitive, but dammit I could use it in my sleep (and hate using the mouse now)  :(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57212 on: March 25, 2023, 04:06:12 am »

Is there any possibility of an oldschool UI version? I know it was often unintuitive, but dammit I could use it in my sleep (and hate using the mouse now)  :(
Last version of the game to use the old UI was 47.05. The old UI was removed in order to make the new one, so of course, isn't in the latest version. One day in the far future when the entire interface is moddable, someone might make it as a mod. But right now, it's not.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57213 on: March 25, 2023, 09:05:00 am »

Made my first windmill farm ever, only to discover that there's no wind in my map. So disappointed.

Oh well, maybe I'll do something with a waterwheel, the aquifer and a reservoir.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:16:29 pm by Naryar »

Pop_1

• Escaped Lunatic
  • epicer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57214 on: March 25, 2023, 10:11:59 pm »

Got some strange migrants that are missing half of their body and aren't capable of doing anything.

Once I'm done with this fort I'm def gonna look at how they managed to lose half their torso in legends mode.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:13:43 pm by Pop_1 »

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57215 on: March 25, 2023, 10:25:37 pm »

A GCS made the questionable Decision to wander onto Our Map, and when We sent a Squad after it one of them bit it.

It's almost a Shame Dwarfs aren't venomous.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57216 on: March 27, 2023, 09:12:24 pm »

I have indeed done something with the aquifer, waterwheels and a reservoir (two, even). My waterwheel battery high pressure dwarven water turbine works pretty well. (It's not even THAT high pressure because it's only 1z below the topmost  aquifer level, but I can get about 500 urists of power on a good day).

Now I can power a few millstones, have a paper industry without super slow querns, and use the surface cereals I collect for flour.

Added my first ever, about 8-10z pump stack to it to pump the water to the surface to get rid of it and for an irrigation project. Not sure how much it will change things, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:18:30 pm by Naryar »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57217 on: March 28, 2023, 08:11:50 pm »

So, being on an island seems to mean no migrants.  Also I seemed to miss an announcement about the traders.  So I failed to trade with the second caravan and now they don't want to leave.

Still I think my island settlement is as big as it will get outside of births which should be interesting.   But there is much needed to be done and so few hands to get it done with.  On the other hand I can experiment.  Even got a windmill working!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57218 on: March 28, 2023, 11:00:24 pm »

As far as I know, islands still get migrants as normal. I'm on an island and get migrant waves regularly (despite the danger).

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57219 on: March 29, 2023, 09:08:06 am »

As far as I know, islands still get migrants as normal. I'm on an island and get migrant waves regularly (despite the danger).

Likely they are not showing up because we're not really producing much in the way of wealth.

Oh the other hand settling on an island with lots of fruit trees and good fishing means lots of food and booze.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have never had so many different types of dishes and drinks available in all my games.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57220 on: March 29, 2023, 08:56:01 pm »

How do I place crafts in the trade depot? the only things showing up are wood, I have the depot on the surface since when I tried to make a ramp down I ended up making just open space instead, will I need to make a crafts stockpile near the trade depot? There aren't merchants yet but I want to be able to set it up first, or will I only be able to move things there when merchants show up?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57221 on: March 30, 2023, 07:14:14 am »

You can only move stuff to the depot when the merchants arrive, unfortunately.

You can put a stockpile for crafts nearby the depot to make moving things pretty quick, but keas/monkeys will also move some of that stuff for you, as in steal it.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57222 on: April 01, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »

Still on 0.47 waiting for the classic control scheme to be done for the new version. Anyway, I carved out another underground grazing spot in a fort besieged by undead when I spotted a peculiar amalgam of alabaster and anhydrite. A good omen, perhaps.

(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57223 on: April 01, 2023, 04:21:18 pm »

Still on 0.47 waiting for the classic control scheme to be done for the new version. Anyway, I carved out another underground grazing spot in a fort besieged by undead when I spotted a peculiar amalgam of alabaster and anhydrite. A good omen, perhaps.

you and me both, brother. even after digesting the new UI to a functional state, the premium version has too many issues to play fluidly..

i remember trying to spell out words with specific engraving designations.. your image is a great example of how if we were to continue engraving random walls for all of eternity, eventually the dwarves would write Hamlet or whatever.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57224 on: April 02, 2023, 02:47:35 am »

you and me both, brother. even after digesting the new UI to a functional state, the premium version has too many issues to play fluidly..

Me three, brothers... 0.47.05 still rules.

My first fort to ever reach 500+ citizens  :)  at 5-7 FPS still playable.
Gravearmor lives on at almost 50 years running and 88 migration waves.
One of the 7 dwarves lives on as the 121 y/o captain of the guard.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 3813 3814 [3815] 3816 3817 ... 3835